Need Advice, Any Piping Workers or Fire Sprinkler Guys? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Looks like the tank has two 2" unused outlets on the dryer side. Tapping into that would be better then messing with the crimped system.

Or tap into the line between the black colored water drain and unistrut wall mount. There is already a shutoff valve and plenty of pipe to add a tee.

If the fire sprinkler system is dry and the pipes are pressurized with air, you dont want to tap into the air system. It probably can handle some pressure loss, but too much pressure drop and it will trip the air/water valve and set off an alarm.

Last edited by Corey Young; 05-28-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #27 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 79171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McRotch View Post
Fire sprinkler guy here..

I've been in this trade 17 years and have never installed crimp fit fittings like that.. Your idea is right though. There has to be a tee that goes from that crimp fit to a standard NPT thread that any sprinkler fitter can adapt to..

Out of curiosity, is the air for a dry system, pretty action or deluge valve?

Edit:
The problem is, once you cut the pipe, you still need to crimp a new piece on.
Is there enough room to get a tee in between the compressor tank and the union? Maybe with close nipples? From the pics, is that 3/4" pipe?
Pat,
I do work on our sprinkler systems here in our data center, but I'm mainly an alarms guy when it comes down to it. We ditched our compressed air for a nitrogen generator for our dry pipe preaction zones. I've never seen that type of fitting in 20 years of military use, nor data center use. Weird.

Jeff R.
Gilbert AZ,
Chairocar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdangerp View Post
What kind of asshole makes a compressed air system out of that? Is this shop trendy or something? I see no reason to use that pipe other than it looks kinda cool. Is it cheaper than regular black pipe?

Edit: if you look right behind the chiller, they converted to regular black pipe and put a union there. You could tap in there with a normal Tee.

This.

Then this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Young View Post
Looks like the tank has two 2" unused outlets on the dryer side. Tapping into that would be better then messing with the crimped system.

Or tap into the line between the black colored water drain and unistrut wall mount. There is already a shutoff valve and plenty of pipe to add a tee.

If the fire sprinkler system is dry and the pipes are pressurized with air, you dont want to tap into the air system. It probably can handle some pressure loss, but too much pressure drop and it will trip the air/water valve and set off an alarm.
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 148982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Young View Post
Good thinking, but it won't. There's a check valve in the airline at the sprinkler riser that will not let air escape out of the system. Dry pipe valves run off shop air all the time.
I was working on a building yesterday that has 5 dry valves that run off shop air. They were doing demo in the building and chopped the air line. None of the 5 systems lost any air pressure.

Last edited by Pat McRotch; 05-28-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Pat McRotch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 71185
Viega propress fittings are very close to those, they have applications for copper and stainless so I would contact them and see if they have fittings that will work with that pipe, if so it should be easy to find a plumber with a propress tool to crimp them on.

Does the air system connect to the fire system or is the air system simply made of tubing designed for fire sprinkler equipment?
brewchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #31 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 104517
I'm surprised the ahj will let you tap it. I've never seen a dry type fire system without a dedicated air compressor.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 411962
^^^^ finally some one who makes sense ! There is no way the AHJ is going to let you tap into some compressor, for Fire alarm. You say this is So.Cal., right ? Do you have a stamped set of blue prints to work off of ? I didn't think so, I've been in the trade for 30 years and am a service manager for an alarm company. I wouldn't even come out to look at what you want to do, how close to the border are you ? Who is considering doing this work, you ? Do you have any pro's working on this or is it one of those things where you guys know what's best ? BTW, I already know the answers to these questions, been there, done that with people trying to save money. Please tell me the name of your company, and the name of any company considering this work. I am licensed in your state.
dwilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Our mill has 1 big compressor but shop air and fire system air are two different pipe runs off the main tank.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 148982
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man View Post
I'm surprised the ahj will let you tap it. I've never seen a dry type fire system without a dedicated air compressor.
It's done LEGALLY all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilly View Post
^^^^ finally some one who makes sense ! There is no way the AHJ is going to let you tap into some compressor, for Fire alarm. You say this is So.Cal., right ? Do you have a stamped set of blue prints to work off of ? I didn't think so, I've been in the trade for 30 years and am a service manager for an alarm company. I wouldn't even come out to look at what you want to do, how close to the border are you ? Who is considering doing this work, you ? Do you have any pro's working on this or is it one of those things where you guys know what's best ? BTW, I already know the answers to these questions, been there, done that with people trying to save money. Please tell me the name of your company, and the name of any company considering this work. I am licensed in your state.
You need to do some homework.
Start reading.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:
Typical FAG attitude.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 609738
Quote:
We do not have a stamped set of blue prints but we do have the layout of the building for when my company designed the conveyor system. This warehouse is not even close to the border, its in Anaheim and the conveyor system is for a VERY big company, if you know what VERY big thing is located in Anaheim you can put two and two together, until the projects done I can't discuss any specifics. I would not be doing the work, I am simply a project manager intern. We have contracted millwrights doing installation of the conveyors, mezzanines, and the compressed air system however it's a company our project manager is not familiar with so he doesn't trust them completely yet. The company I work for is probably top 10 in our industry and you very clearly do not know what your talking about.

Last edited by D1rty Dan; 05-28-2016 at 12:31 PM.
D1rty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 209088
been a sprinkler fitter in boston union local 550 for 20 years. the type of fittings are called pro press they are all the rage out here in Boston right now because the plumbers and pipefitters dont need a torch to soldier and that means no fireman doing a fire detail. i have used these fittings on sprinkler pipes as well. any plumbing supply house should have the fitting and have the pro press tool for rental. good luck
Mr.Fattooed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 148982
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bronco460 View Post
Typical FAG attitude.
Fuckin FAG's think they know it all
Old 05-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 609738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fattooed View Post
been a sprinkler fitter in boston union local 550 for 20 years. the type of fittings are called pro press they are all the rage out here in Boston right now because the plumbers and pipefitters dont need a torch to soldier and that means no fireman doing a fire detail. i have used these fittings on sprinkler pipes as well. any plumbing supply house should have the fitting and have the pro press tool for rental. good luck
With this type of crimp, do the pipes need to be grooved where its crimped down?
D1rty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #40 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 71185
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1rty Dan View Post
With this type of crimp, do the pipes need to be grooved where its crimped down?
No, you just slide the fitting on and crimp it with the tool, takes maybe 10-15 seconds to make the crimp. We use it when replacing water heaters so we don't have to wait for the whole house to drain down to replace a ball valve, you can slide a valve on with water pouring out of the pipe, crimp it and turn the valve off.

You will want to verify what fittings will work with that pipe but it shouldn't be very tough to find out.
brewchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 411962
Project manager intern explains it all.
dwilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in