Do you tip the Car Wash people? - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 06:18 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 160769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackel View Post
U know they are already stealing the change on ur floorboards or under ur seat. They probably like "shit I just got $5 in change from inside this car, plus a few other sticks of gum/mints and they are still gonna give me a $5 tip. Yell ya "
I'd hate to see the inside of your vehicle. If you have that much garbage floating around in it, you obviously don't give to shits about keeping it clean anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackerbcker(fvckVS) View Post

Usually the m.o. for such situations is getting there before my client and/or notifying them (waitstaff) that this money I'm putting on the table now is the tip. Could be $20/30/40/50 off the bat depending what type and how long I think it'll be. I'll inform them I'll adjust accordingly based on service and hope to only add to it, not remove.
Ya, that's the move of a pretentious prick. I bet you can't even recognize the taste of spit in your food anymore. Or a glass of tea served up with a just a twinge of wang in it.
jscwerve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping2 View Post
Why should you?

Why should you pay someone "extra" for doing a job they are already being paid to do?

Should we leave a "tip" in the mail box every day?

Should we hand the cashier at the super market a few extra bucks too?
Exactly...I only tip at restaurants allowed by law to pay less than minimum wage..
However, I will give someone extra money for going out of their way to help..
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog57 View Post
I'm sorry you dad wasn't able to say thank you for a job well done. He may have got more work done next time. You see that's how the blue collar world works. I've run construction crews and know well what motivates people.
It isn't being an asshole and telling them to eat shit, your being paid to do that job. So you don't deserve anything extra.

And you wonder why someone flipping a burger thinks they deserve $15...

Let me ask you something, did you say thank to your dad for putting a roof over your head, food on your table and shoes on your feet? Don't fucking lie about....no you didn't. You may have once you were grown (as I have) but at the time, no you didn't because that was what you expected.

I'm grateful to have a father that taught me the meaning of hard work and that I was owed nothing I did not earn. He instilled in me a work ethic of doing my best at whatever I was doing and if there was something I wanted it was up to me to figure out what I needed to do to be able to afford it.

My father didn't coddle me or sugar coat the truth....not because he didn't love me but because he did. And for that, I will forever be grateful.

And I never said he didn't show his gratitude for a job well done. I just said he didn't praise something for doing what it was supposed to do.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 684433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscwerve View Post
I'd hate to see the inside of your vehicle. If you have that much garbage floating around in it, you obviously don't give to shits about keeping it clean anyways.

Ya, that's the move of a pretentious prick. I bet you can't even recognize the taste of spit in your food anymore. Or a glass of tea served up with a just a twinge of wang in it.
i eat before meetings so im not distracted or looking like a pig and order light food-wise, the drinks will have enough alcohol to kill the wang taste.

lets say you are the waiter. would you prefer i tell you "hey listen, im here on business, treat me good and keep it short and sweet, ill leave you a nice tip" or get that constant interruptions everytime im holding a conversation resulting in me being frustrated by constant attempts to prove you are a good waiter concerned about me all the while leaving me aggravated and you a reduced tip?

face it, it may be pretentious, but it works. you show up to work because you know you get (for instance) $30/hr. what would your attitude be if your pay was determined solely by each and every instance of your performance? drop your pen, eat with your mouth open in the office cubicle, 5 minutes late on that report and punctuation is incorrect and hey i think you only deserve $20/hr today.

you wouldnt like that would you? didnt think so.

Last edited by trackerbcker(fvckVS); 06-28-2016 at 07:41 AM.
trackerbcker(fvckVS) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 684433
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumping View Post

And you wonder why someone flipping a burger thinks they deserve $15...

Let me ask you something, did you say thank to your dad for putting a roof over your head, food on your table and shoes on your feet? Don't fucking lie about....no you didn't. You may have once you were grown (as I have) but at the time, no you didn't because that was what you expected.

I'm grateful to have a father that taught me the meaning of hard work and that I was owed nothing I did not earn. He instilled in me a work ethic of doing my best at whatever I was doing and if there was something I wanted it was up to me to figure out what I needed to do to be able to afford it.

My father didn't coddle me or sugar coat the truth....not because he didn't love me but because he did. And for that, I will forever be grateful.

And I never said he didn't show his gratitude for a job well done. I just said he didn't praise something for doing what it was supposed to do.
this. the kids that fail to grasp that concept, are raised by parents who didnt understand or didnt want little johnny to work to hard, he desrves better after all.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #56 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 116537
Quote:
Why should you?

Why should you pay someone "extra" for doing a job they are already being paid to do?

Should we leave a "tip" in the mail box every day?

Should we hand the cashier at the super market a few extra bucks too?
Answer 1: Because it's the generally accepted custom for this type of service job. If you don't tip, you've effectively fucked over someone who by custom expects a tip for good service.

Answer 2: No, it's not generally accepted custom to tip the mail man.

Answer 3: See Answer 2.

It's America, you can be a cheap ass prick if you want. But, please don't spew bullshit rationalizations to justify it.

Now, I do agree the tipping bullshit can go too far. Here are a few that are borderline.

Garbage man. Some people give a tip around Christmas. I don't nor do my neighbors

Hotel maid. Generally no tip, unless I've made a mess in the room (e.g., spilled something).

House maid. She gets a generous tip before Christmas.

Hotel doorman hailing a cab. By custom, I give him a buck, but it annoys me. I can just as easily wave at the cabbie who's already sitting there.

What others are borderline?
emiller22207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller22207 View Post
Answer 1: Because it's the generally accepted custom for this type of service job. If you don't tip, you've effectively fucked over someone who by custom expects a tip for good service.

Answer 2: No, it's not generally accepted custom to tip the mail man.

Answer 3: See Answer 2.

It's America, you can be a cheap ass prick if you want. But, please don't spew bullshit rationalizations to justify it.

Now, I do agree the tipping bullshit can go too far. Here are a few that are borderline.

Garbage man. Some people give a tip around Christmas. I don't nor do my neighbors

Hotel maid. Generally no tip, unless I've made a mess in the room (e.g., spilled something).

House maid. She gets a generous tip before Christmas.

Hotel doorman hailing a cab. By custom, I give him a buck, but it annoys me. I can just as easily wave at the cabbie who's already sitting there.

What others are borderline?

Oh, so someone is a cheap ass prick if they don't tip like you do....

And yet, you have an opinion of "some" in the service business that YOU don't think deserve a tip.

WOW, you're really an enlighten one. You must be channeling Gary...
Old 06-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 16722
When the question is "should I tip or not" I usually default to tipping for a job well done. I don't tip simply for existing, and if I have to ask you to redo something there better not be any bitching.

I use a similar car wash where they spray it down, run it through the tunnel and then either dry it or take it to the bay for the interior work. There is no tip jar if i just go through the tunnel, but there is one if they clean the interior. I take that to mean they don't expect a tip after wiping the exterior, but do for interior work.
I also find these guys very careful not to touch the cash, I guess that eliminates infighting. One day 2 guys started cleaning the interior, one did a shitty job and wandered off half way through. The other guy finished his half, then redid what the wanderer screwed up. I wanted to hand that guy the tip since he did the work, but he wouldn't take it, just politely instructed me to put it in a the box. Another time I asked one of the guys to give the brake dust some extra attention. He sat down and scrubbed every spoke. I handed him a tip and he carried it at arm's length to the tip box like one would deliver a dirty diaper to the trash.

Other times I wonder if it's appropriate. On a first class flight into Daytona I walked on to the plane with the intentions of stumbling off. Ended up sitting next to a NASCAR VP and an IMSA VP. The flight was a party, the flight attendant kept my glass from dipping below half full and helped make the trip fun. I think I should have handed him some cash on the way out, but i've never seen anyone do that, so I didn't...
Old 06-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 138515
Flight attendants are instructed to refuse the tip once, but if you offer a second time it would be rude not to accept and say thank you.....
pyleit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #60 (permalink)
Global Warmer

Member # 33328
I wash my own vehicles. Always have, always will.

68 Bronco
98 XJ
planefixer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 160769
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackerbcker(fvckVS) View Post
i eat before meetings so im not distracted or looking like a pig and order light food-wise, the drinks will have enough alcohol to kill the wang taste.

lets say you are the waiter. would you prefer i tell you "hey listen, im here on business, treat me good and keep it short and sweet, ill leave you a nice tip" or get that constant interruptions everytime im holding a conversation resulting in me being frustrated by constant attempts to prove you are a good waiter concerned about me all the while leaving me aggravated and you a reduced tip?

face it, it may be pretentious, but it works. you show up to work because you know you get (for instance) $30/hr. what would your attitude be if your pay was determined solely by each and every instance of your performance? drop your pen, eat with your mouth open in the office cubicle, 5 minutes late on that report and punctuation is incorrect and hey i think you only deserve $20/hr today.

you wouldnt like that would you? didnt think so.
Well, I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I travel for work. A lot. I have business meetings for lunch and dinner, a lot. I choose to treat the people that serve me kindly and I don't feel interrupted when a member of the wait staff is doing their job by filling my water or otherwise. The staff at a restaurant deals with more business meetings than you or I ever will, and for the most part, know how to act accordingly.

Nothing anyone says on the internet to someone else will change the way people go about their lives. I won't convince you to change how you do things, that's just how you do things, same for me. Yes, in my opinion (which is worth nothing to anyone but myself) doing that is rude and kind of a dick move, and if I saw that happen in my dealings with someone, I would take that into account whether or not to do business with them.

So just go on enjoying your wang water with a side of pube fries and do what you do!!!
Old 06-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 684433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscwerve View Post
Well, I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I travel for work. A lot. I have business meetings for lunch and dinner, a lot. I choose to treat the people that serve me kindly and I don't feel interrupted when a member of the wait staff is doing their job by filling my water or otherwise. The staff at a restaurant deals with more business meetings than you or I ever will, and for the most part, know how to act accordingly.

Nothing anyone says on the internet to someone else will change the way people go about their lives. I won't convince you to change how you do things, that's just how you do things, same for me. Yes, in my opinion (which is worth nothing to anyone but myself) doing that is rude and kind of a dick move, and if I saw that happen in my dealings with someone, I would take that into account whether or not to do business with them.

So just go on enjoying your wang water with a side of pube fries and do what you do!!!
i can respect that. and i certainly understand the sentiment that they deal with more business meetings than we do, its just the way i prefer, the quicker and more focused and attentive we can be to why we are there, the quicker they get some $ and on the the next dollar for them and me, respectively..

That said, i still treat them respectfully when they come around.

on a side note, the very definition of their job title is to wait on people.

so....
Old 07-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #63 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 71393
Bringing this back up.

What about professional detail? Do you tip? If so how much. Typical 10 to 20% or just add a extra $50.
bradp674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #64 (permalink)
Oh Jesus Tits....

Member # 17554
Quote:
See, that is where you are completely wrong. I was raised on a farm and the only "pay" or "tip" I got was being told I had a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food in my stomach. In high school I worked in the dishroom at Cracker Barrel. Out of high school I went to work and school for Nissan. After a year at WestKnox Nissan I had had enough of that bullshit, and I went back to school. I worked mid-nights at a Texaco station and put myself through school.

Do you rub the dash of your car every morning when it starts and say good job? What do you do when it doesn't start? As my dad told me, you do not deserve praise for doing what you are supposed to do but you do deserve a kick in the ass for not.

I have very little sympathy for anyone who refuses to make themselves worth more than what they earn.

Now, if they are happy with what they are doing and show pride in what they are doing, I "tip" my hat.

However, I do not see where every "service" job deserves extra pay for doing something they already are paid to do.

Now, as in doc's example, the guy went above and beyond what was required for what he was getting paid to do...for that, yes I can see it. But all the shit of tip this person, tip that person...for fuck's sake.
You're an ass. Lots of these places employ students and young kids as a first job. Kinda puts your sympathy comment in check. I do agree that the tip should be effort appropriate. If the guy does a half assed job, no tip, but if he's going above and beyond, by all means give the poor bastard a tip.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by planefixer View Post
I wash my own vehicles. Always have, always will.
This, interesting thread is interesting.

Apparently people don't wash their own cars/trucks anymore? I enjoy doing it and do a better job than the most expensive car wash place, imho. In all fairness, I hardly see anyone wash their car in my neighborhood, actually the Mexicans that bought my trashed WJ down the street are the only ones I can even remotely recall. I guess I'm in the minority.

When the truck is completely trashed with mud/winter scuzz wise I take it to the coin wash and blast it off there, or if it is simply impossible to do without icing the driveway.... pains me to pay for someone else's water and soap even on those occasions.....Guess I'm a cheap bastid
Old 07-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 9423
Location: Newcastle, CA. But don't ask me where the Old Castle is
Send a message via Yahoo to evenBIGGERrock
No, but there are lots of chores I have my kids do that they don't get paid for.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 36822
Not car wash related: I was at a local brewhaus that had a food truck out front. I was hungry so I decided to try their fish tacos (most I've had were hit or miss from various establishments). I go to the "Order Here" window, ask for the entrée and pay the attendant. He looks at me as he hands me my change and then looks at the tip jar next to the "register-type thingy". I am then told the food will be done shortly and I am to pick it up on the other side of the truck/van/whateveryoucallit.

Am I expected to leave a tip BEFORE the food is even picked up, let alone sampled? Just tip him for amorphously taking my order and then my money? The tacos were, in fact, delicious but I didn't feel like walking all the way over to the truck again and wait in line just to leave a tip. And the foodtrucks rotate constantly, probably never see that particular one ever again. WWPBBD?
Old 07-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenToy View Post
Not car wash related: I was at a local brewhaus that had a food truck out front. I was hungry so I decided to try their fish tacos (most I've had were hit or miss from various establishments). I go to the "Order Here" window, ask for the entrée and pay the attendant. He looks at me as he hands me my change and then looks at the tip jar next to the "register-type thingy". I am then told the food will be done shortly and I am to pick it up on the other side of the truck/van/whateveryoucallit.

Am I expected to leave a tip BEFORE the food is even picked up, let alone sampled? Just tip him for amorphously taking my order and then my money? The tacos were, in fact, delicious but I didn't feel like walking all the way over to the truck again and wait in line just to leave a tip. And the foodtrucks rotate constantly, probably never see that particular one ever again. WWPBBD?
He wasnt worried about the tip. He was worried about the whipping he was going to get for not getting a tip.
You just cost that poor man a beating.

How do you feel about it now.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 36822
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
He wasnt worried about the tip. He was worried about the whipping he was going to get for not getting a tip.
You just cost that poor man a beating.

How do you feel about it now.
See, I never even considered that . I was only thinking that the "pre-tip" (let's call it that) was more of a spit/pube preventative. Either way, still not sure...
Old 07-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenToy View Post
See, I never even considered that . I was only thinking that the "pre-tip" (let's call it that) was more of a spit/pube preventative. Either way, still not sure...
If there was spit and pubes in your fish taco......I'm sorry to tell you.........

You where second.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 36822
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
If there was spit and pubes in your fish taco......I'm sorry to tell you.........

You where second.

All righty then, I'll leave the "pre-tip" henceforth...

Now I'm going to worry about every place that has a "pre-tip" jar... Thanks, jackass.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 80349
Speaking of car washes....

There's construction on my road to my home and my TJ, XJ, and Elantra all get muddy when driving to or from. It's been in the high 80's-low 90's for weeks with very little rain so I can't risk using my well water to wash all three junks so I headed to the car wash last week, the one I used to go to when I lived in this town (before I moved back here) and I went to get change for the machine then shit...."out of service, go to laundromat machine"......ok sure...so I went there and .......fuck..."Out of service"....WTF!!?? All the wash bays were dry...no one was doing laundry.....geez..I wonder why? Damn tarded owner. I left a pretty harsh scribbled-on-cardboard note for him...and then headed to the next car wash 6 or so miles away. "Out of servive" said the lone coin [email protected][email protected]#%[email protected]#@....what the living [email protected]#!.

Yeah there are no full service car washes around here.

May my well run dry....

Last edited by muddeprived; 07-19-2016 at 05:41 PM.
muddeprived is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #73 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
Speaking of car washes....

There's construction on my road to my home and my TJ, XJ, and Elantra all get muddy when driving to or from. It's been in the high 80's-low 90's for weeks with very little rain so I can't risk using my well water to wash all three junks so I headed to the car wash last week, the one I used to go to when I lived in this town (before I moved back here) and I went to get change for the machine then shit...."out of service, go to laundromat machine"......ok sure...so I went there and .......fuck..."Out of service"....WTF!!?? All the wash bays were dry...no one was doing laundry.....geez..I wonder why? Damn tarded owner. I left a pretty harsh scribbled-on-cardboard note for him...and then headed to the next car wash 6 or so miles away. "Out of servive" said the lone coin [email protected][email protected]#%[email protected]#@....what the living [email protected]#!.

Yeah there are no full service car washes around here.

May my well run dry....
So what you're telling us is that your username no longer applies?
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 80349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
So what you're telling us is that your username no longer applies?
Hell no. My lust for mud runs deep but it's way more fun to see a clean rig/crappy car get covered than it is to re-coat a muddy vehicle.

In other words, she told me to clean em.

Last edited by muddeprived; 07-19-2016 at 05:49 PM.
muddeprived is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2016, 06:49 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 160769
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
This, interesting thread is interesting.

Apparently people don't wash their own cars/trucks anymore? I enjoy doing it and do a better job than the most expensive car wash place, imho. In all fairness, I hardly see anyone wash their car in my neighborhood, actually the Mexicans that bought my trashed WJ down the street are the only ones I can even remotely recall. I guess I'm in the minority.

When the truck is completely trashed with mud/winter scuzz wise I take it to the coin wash and blast it off there, or if it is simply impossible to do without icing the driveway.... pains me to pay for someone else's water and soap even on those occasions.....Guess I'm a cheap bastid
I know a lot of the HOA neighborhoods do not allow car washing in driveways. Also in many places now during drought years (most years) they put restrictions on washing cars/watering/etc. I know in my neighborhood we have some of the highest water costs in the state.

If I go to the coin-op place to wash my pickup it still takes me anywhere between $12-15 to get it good and clean. I don't mind paying the few dollars extra for some teenagers to do it just as good in 15 minutes when it would take me an hour to do.

On top of that there is the tip of course, but I worked in a job receiving tips when I was in high school too. Like I've said previously in this thread, people remember the good tippers and kind people. I can garan-fuckin-tee you that if we both pulled into my local car wash at the same time, I'm leaving quicker and with a more meticulously cleaned vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in