Towing a 34' GN in Commiefornia with two rigs on it??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 190804
Towing a 34' GN in Commiefornia with two rigs on it???

Ok so the Full Sized Jeep crowd in Colorado is planning a Rubicon trail run next summer. My buddy has offered to use his cummins to tow my 34' GN with both of our J10 trucks out there to save us from both having to tow.

Then I had another buddy say that commifornia has weird laws surrounding this and we may end up with a ticket. I know about the whole 55mph speed limit and my trailer has a 'not for hire' sticker on it.

Are we gonna get a ticket for something silly? Here in Colorado, it would be perfectly legal.

Here is how it will look, but we will have two built J10's on it rather than two stock Cherokees.

Last edited by Blakes; 06-29-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Blakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 45202
The rediculous shit people spread about Ca is a joke. You're just fine with proper license and registration.
rockbuggy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbuggy84 View Post
The rediculous shit people spread about Ca is a joke. You're just fine with proper license and registration.
Yep. Just stay to the right, trailers are limited to the right lane,unless there's four lanes or more, then you can use the two right lanes. You can use the middle lane when there's three lanes for passing.

And yes, the CHP will warn you on lane usage, and ticket you if they want.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Darlington County Chapter

Last edited by Haole; 06-29-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 31362
Send a message via AIM to deke
55mph truck/trailer limit
skip weigh stations, you're a "RV"
stay outta the left lane

nothing to worry about.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
In ca you need a class a to tow a trailer with a 10,000lb or greater gvw. You also can not haul more then 1 car on a trailer without a class a, and finally you cant tow a flat deck trailer over 28 feet without a class a (may be 30feet).

With all that being said my friends do it all the time with no isues
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
In ca you need a class a to tow a trailer with a 10,000lb or greater gvw. You also can not haul more then 1 car on a trailer without a class a, and finally you cant tow a flat deck trailer over 28 feet without a class a (may be 30feet).

Nope. 10000 is for tag trailers. 15000 is for 5th wheel/goosenecks. And I'm doubtful on the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Haole; 06-29-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
Nope. 10000 is for tag trailers. 15000 is for 5th wheel/goosenecks. And I'm doubtful on the rest.
Yep
The 15,000 is for rvs

Note where it says rvs etween 10_15k, and also where it says you may not tow more then 1 car.

If you want I'll find the part in length later
Attached Images

Last edited by 2big bronco; 06-29-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Yep
The 15,000 is for rvs

Note where it says rvs etween 10_15k, and also where it says you may not tow more then 1 car.

Doesn't all that BS apply only to Commiefornia licenses? Don't they honor other states licenses?

If you're good to go on your home state license most states will honor that because you can't go through the hoops to comply with the licensing reqs in the BS state you're driving through without being a resident.

Regardless, any CHP or DOT asshole who thinks "yeah I should totally stop that and make sure all his papers are in order" when he sees that rig will just write the ticket and see what happens and with those types you're fucked no matter how legal you are.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 190804
Quote:
Yep
The 15,000 is for rvs

I wonder how that would apply with my Colorado drivers license? The back of my DL is a class 'R' which says I can tow up to 26k lbs without hazardous cargo.
Blakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
Doesn't all that BS apply only to Commiefornia licenses? Don't they honor other states licenses?

If you're good to go on your home state license most states will honor that because you can't go through the hoops to comply with the licensing reqs in the BS state you're driving through without being a resident.

Regardless, any CHP or DOT asshole who thinks "yeah I should totally stop that and make sure all his papers are in order" when he sees that rig will just write the ticket and see what happens and with those types you're fucked no matter how legal you are.

My understanding and the way it was explained to me is that these are the requirements for towing in ca by anybody.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Yep
The 15,000 is for rvs

A single vehicle means a single trailer, as in you need a doubles endorsement for two trailers. It doesn't mean how many things you can have on the trailer.

Livestock trailers can go to 15k also.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 13786
I see pick-ups going up I80 all the time with 2 rigs on their goosenecks on the way to Fordice. Just make sure everything works, brakes, lights etc.
KWTMECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post

This is like saying the speed limit in Oregon (55 mph) doesn't apply to anyone from another state so I can drive 70 mph because that's the speed limit in Nevada. State laws must be followed by everyone towing. They'll honor your license to drive so you don't need to get a California license but you have to follow their laws while in their state.

EDIT: You're towing one trailer. 55mph speed limit. Stay in the right hand lane(s). 65 foot length limit. 15,000 lbs limit. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...dl648/dl648pt2

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 06-29-2016 at 08:49 AM.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:

Livestock trailers can go to 15k also.
Nope, well if you are the farmer and owner operator of your rig not exceeding 15k. At that point it's only for transportation of livestock within 150 miles of your farm
Old 06-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
This is like saying the speed limit in Oregon (55 mph) doesn't apply to anyone from another state so I can drive 70 mph because that's the speed limit in Nevada. State laws must be followed by everyone towing. They'll honor your license to drive so you don't need to get a California license but you have to follow their laws while in their state.

EDIT: You're towing one trailer. 55mph speed limit. Stay in the right hand lane(s). 65 foot length limit. 15,000 lbs limit. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...dl648/dl648pt2
Except my state doesn't provide a non-commercial Class-A license. I am fully legal and licensed to drive anything up to 26k lbs in the state of Oklahoma, with my non-commercial driver's license.

That said, when I made the Rubicon trip in '09 I hauled a 32' goose with two rigs on it and had no problems.

KF5EQF

apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
The handout I got from the weight starion shows only 1 car on a trailer where it says you cant tow more then 1
Old 06-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
So I'm going to ask. Has anyone actually been hassled be the dot cops over GVWR? I ask because my girlfriend grew up 2 hours outside the bay area. She and her family are big time equestrians. She has a 4 horse slant with LQ that she's pulled for the past 12 years all over CA. Her brother has a 42' stock trailer with a forward tack/dressing room that he pulls with an F550. And her dad has several large trailers, including one 102" sundowner that's probably 48', capable of hauling an entire Polo players herd of ponies, that he pulls with an FL 70. Non of them have ever been hassled about GVRW. Non of them have a CDL. And yes, they have to hit the weigh stations to show their coggins. So it's not like they're just getting lucky.

Last edited by Action Fab; 06-29-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
The handout I got from the weight starion shows only 1 car on a trailer where it says you cant tow more then 1
I'd be curious to know what DOT code they're saying that falls under. Plenty of people come up for Hot August Nights towing two cars right through Truckee, Sac, Modesto, LA, etc. and I doubt they'd do it every year if they were ticketed.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41764
Quote:
Not for flat decks, it's <10k gvwr (not what it actually weighs) or you 'need' a class a, goose/5th/tag, no matter. All the exceptions on 5th/goose setups are for camping/livetstock trailers.

If it's 5th wheel livestock/camping trailer you need an endorsement on a class c to got to 15k legally. My sister got hit with that towing a 3 horse a couple years ago (12k gvwr) with her unendorsed class c. Getting the endorsement made the ticket go away.

A friend got hit with his goose flat deck unloaded. It's a 20k build (tandem duals), derated to 14k, but still over what his class c is legal for. He's just going to sell it and stick to his smaller trailers.

I don't know the legality on out of state licenses, but I've been told if the setup you're pulling and the license you carry is legal in the state you're from, it's ok here. I couldn't cite a code, so I'm officially no help to the OP.

Last edited by bggrnchvy; 06-29-2016 at 09:01 AM.
bggrnchvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
So I'm going to ask. Has anyone actually been hassled be the dot cops over GVWR? I ask because my girlfriend grew up 2 hours outside the bay area. She and her family are big time equestrians. She has a 4 horse slant with LQ that she's pulled for the past 12 years all over CA. Her brother has a 42' stock trailer with a forward tack/dressing room that he pulls with an F550. And her dad has several large trailers, including one 102" sundowner that's probably 48', capable of hauling an entire Polo players herd of ponies, that he pulls with an FL 70. Non of them have ever been hassled about GVRW. Non of them have a CDL. And yes, they have to hit the weigh stations to show their coggins. So it's not like they're just getting lucky.
I've been overloaded and gone through several weigh stations both times I moved cross country. only twice did I ever get tagged to go in to the office, they verified I didn't have a CDL, did have insurance and told me to have a nice move

approx. 32,000 lbs in a 26klb GCWR truck

up is difficult, down is dangerous

The largest tax modification in 30 years, check it out!

Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by bggrnchvy View Post
I don't know the legality on out of state licenses, but I've been told if the setup you're pulling and the license you carry is legal in the state you're from, it's ok here. I couldn't cite a code, so I'm officially no help to the OP.
I'm betting that interstate commerce rules apply for out of state.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
What do the words say? The picture isn't the law.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:

The 28.5' limit is also for towing doubles.

CA Codes (veh:35400-35414)

Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
That's 2 completely different things. One is a sign right in front of you stating what you can do. The other, you have to look up and get 100 different interpretations.

To be honest, I'm not sure why non-commercial can't be similar to commercial: you can't exceed xx,000 gross combined weight and you can't be overweight on any axle according to the VIN tag of truck and trailer.

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
Quote:
What do the words say? The picture isn't the law.
exactly. CA doesn't want you to have 2 trailers of any sort so they use the verbiage vehicle to be more correct about it.

At what point is it no longer a vehicle and simply a pile of scrap? Very difficult to define. I guess if you get pulled over for it, you can say that you have 1 vehicle on the trailer and 1 that identifies as a pile of scrap and be legal beagle

up is difficult, down is dangerous

The largest tax modification in 30 years, check it out!

Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in