Laptop Recommendation for Drafting/CNC Programming - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Quote:
Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
Buy a BOXX laptop. It is going to cost you $5k and be heavy as shit, but will run CAD programs with ease.
I just went and looked at their site and let me tell you they are not a good deal by any means. You can get a better system in a work station for less money building one with the same or better hardware.

And their laptops are not that competitive either but closer. You can easily out spec the best BOXX has to offer in a Dell Precision 7740.

BOXX is for people and or companies who can't figure out how to spec and build a system and they charge a high premium for it.
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 84960
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassnTruck View Post
I just went and looked at their site and let me tell you they are not a good deal by any means. You can get a better system in a work station for less money building one with the same or better hardware.

And their laptops are not that competitive either but closer. You can easily out spec the best BOXX has to offer in a Dell Precision 7740.

BOXX is for people and or companies who can't figure out how to spec and build a system and they charge a high premium for it.
OK, go ahead and copy their specs and make you a comparable machine. Then test it and compare them. Our IT department did the same as you are talking. Their computer took a crap after 18 months where the same BOXX computer they copied is going on 5 years. We had over 400,000 man hours last year doing CAD design on very large 3D models and point cloud models. They know what they are doing, we donít have machine issues, their crap lasts and is guaranteed.
red75bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2019, 10:17 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Quote:
Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
OK, go ahead and copy their specs and make you a comparable machine. Then test it and compare them. Our IT department did the same as you are talking. Their computer took a crap after 18 months where the same BOXX computer they copied is going on 5 years. We had over 400,000 man hours last year doing CAD design on very large 3D models and point cloud models. They know what they are doing, we donít have machine issues, their crap lasts and is guaranteed.
I don't care what your company decides to do for computers. But for you to claim that buying an Nvidia Quadro 8000 48GB from Boxx for $6,395 Vs directly from Nvidia for $5,500 that there is any difference in performance or reliability is asinine. Either card has as good of chance as the other of becoming a brick in 18 months or any time frame.

Boxx has no special powers to make their I9 9900k last any longer then the one I bought. I don't know what your "IT People" built and what actually failed in that system but your argument is lackluster. Boxx is just charging whatever they want because sucker companies like yours will pay it apparently. I guess hats off to them but their products do not have unicorn tears and fairy dust in them.

And to quote directly from Boxx.
Quote:
BOXX not only builds custom workstations with best-in-class components, we also support them with our standard three-year limited warranty.
Enjoy your overpriced PCs.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:35 AM   #29 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 120626
Boxx
mechanicalmongoose20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 06:44 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 84960
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassnTruck View Post
I don't care what your company decides to do for computers. But for you to claim that buying an Nvidia Quadro 8000 48GB from Boxx for $6,395 Vs directly from Nvidia for $5,500 that there is any difference in performance or reliability is asinine. Either card has as good of chance as the other of becoming a brick in 18 months or any time frame.

Boxx has no special powers to make their I9 9900k last any longer then the one I bought. I don't know what your "IT People" built and what actually failed in that system but your argument is lackluster. Boxx is just charging whatever they want because sucker companies like yours will pay it apparently. I guess hats off to them but their products do not have unicorn tears and fairy dust in them.

And to quote directly from Boxx.

They over clock them and protect them correctly with the proper cooling.
Whatever, we make millions of dollars using them, they are reliable and never hold up work. They are a company that specifically makes computers for high end autocad users. We do engineering and make damn good money at it, we are not in the business to build computers. Companies like BOXX are. You sound just like every IT guy I have met.

Enjoy your overpriced PCs.
They over clock them and protect them correctly with the proper cooling.
Whatever, we make millions of dollars using them, they are reliable and never hold up work. They are a company that specifically makes computers for high end autocad users. We do engineering and make damn good money at it, we are not in the business to build computers. Companies like BOXX are. You sound just like every IT guy I have met.
red75bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019, 12:06 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Like I said, it doesn't affect me if your company gets warm and fuzzy feelings by overpaying for your PCs.

Overclocking and cooling are not vudu dust only they understand. And I do not recall reading on their page anything about them overclocking anything but it might be on there as I did not waste a bunch of time on there.

Their "3 year warranty" is funny since almost all new PC parts, especially high end ones, come with at least a 3 year warranty from the factory.

What was that saying? If you think everyone else in the room is an asshole?
Maybe all those IT people are on to something?

I can tell you first hand just using high end parts does not promise no failures. My 6 month old EVGA RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming is back in its box ready to be sent back for warranty. It has developed its aspiration to be a brick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in