2 stroke Detroit diesels - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #51 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 177990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post
In order to properly drive a 2 stroke Detroit, first, get into a huge fight with your wife, then slam your thumb in the door, then spill your coffee on something important. You drive that engine like you hate it, and you're trying to rip it out of the truck.

Whilst I've never actually seen it happen, they can start and run backwards.
Gets real interesting when it happens. I've been present for two instances. Was driving during the one. First time driving I made the mistake of lugging the engine going up a hill in West Virginia. It backfired, rolled backwardsand all of a sudden we were accelerating down the hill. I got it stopped and finally was able to stall the damn thing out. Took me about 20 minutes to pry the seat cushion out of my ass so I could check the truck over. Old timer stopped to check on us and gave me the golden advice to run it like you want it to blow up. That old dump truck is still running up and down the mountains on the Ohio/West Virginia line.
Brimmstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #52 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20298
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughBowtieTruck View Post
And buy more oil.
Jeezus...came to say this.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #53 (permalink)
Green bastard

Member # 123458
Had a buddies ktm 495 ex dirtbike hiccup, stall and start back up and off he went doing a burnout in reverse. / hijack off.

Oh, and did anyone tell you to buy moar oil yet, you should.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 177990
Also as has been previously stated if it ain't leaking run because it's getting ready to explode. I've never seen a Detroit that doesn't leak oil. My pastor's big offshore boat has a pair of 6-71 TIBs in it. It has two huge tubs under each engine and replaceable diapers mounted to the bottom of each engine. When he first got it he used to go easy on the engines. He became a convert after we used less fuel coming back from a fishing trip by flogging it then when we went out just cruising.
Brimmstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 3420
Send a message via ICQ to CrazyHorse Send a message via AIM to CrazyHorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
One last diesel noob question- the running backwards thing can only happen with a two stroke, I'm ASS-uming?
Nope, any mechanical diesel can. I had a hand cranked 2 cylinder diesel running an air compressor bump off TDC when it was being cranked to start, started backwards, pumping exhaust out the air filter, suckling air through the muffler. Scariest part was the 18" crank handle that cams out when the engine fires, if it fires backwards though it won't come loose, and starts flailing at camshaft speed...
Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBHSBZ View Post
Wouldn't the blower(s) turn backwards?
To set them up for reverse rotation you swap parts in the cam geartrain, the top end of the engine still runs the conventional direction. Some later cranks are rotation dependant for oiling though, and can't be reversed.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Quote:
When a 2 stroke diesel runs backwards,the intake and exhaust still function normally. The direction that the crank turns makes no difference.

The only issue I'm aware of is the oil pump may be direction sensitive.
Ok,. I guess all that dust coming out of the air filter on the fender was just an anomaly. I remember it well because we were pouring a foundation and that chute nearly cleaned all of us off the wall.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #58 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 200478
This thread started out ok, ran a bit rough for a bit, and is now running backwards...
isbj60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 61545
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_G View Post
They will run without the blowers, just not make any power.

How do they get air into the cylinder with no blower?

Last edited by hogcat; 09-06-2016 at 07:29 PM.
hogcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #60 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 200478
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcat View Post
She's gone from blow to suck!
isbj60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #61 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcat View Post
Exhaust pipe..intake is exhaust and vice versa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vacancy (daytona coupe, 66 charger, cougar eliminator)
1967 F250: Restomod
1998 f150 reg cab, swb, 4x4 5.4
2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #62 (permalink)
Green bastard

Member # 123458
The "blower" on them only makes about 2 pounds of boost.

Last edited by cslimfu; 09-06-2016 at 08:12 PM.
cslimfu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 4387
The old 2 stroke detroits used to scare the shit out of me when first starting them after running the rack (adjusting the injectors and governor), fuck those things . I only worked on them in school long ago. We had a few start and run up against the governor, talk about everyone ducking for cover in the shop when that happened. We always had someone manning the shutoff disk (plywood disk with a handle) big enough to cover the intake when we cranked them over. Those fawkers shake so much they all leak oil, but seem amazingly reliable. I've only seen them in marine applications and a few old skidders. Seeing one in a running truck now days is pretty cool
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #64 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimmstone View Post
Gets real interesting when it happens. I've been present for two instances. Was driving during the one. First time driving I made the mistake of lugging the engine going up a hill in West Virginia. It backfired, rolled backwardsand all of a sudden we were accelerating down the hill. I got it stopped and finally was able to stall the damn thing out. Took me about 20 minutes to pry the seat cushion out of my ass so I could check the truck over. Old timer stopped to check on us and gave me the golden advice to run it like you want it to blow up. That old dump truck is still running up and down the mountains on the Ohio/West Virginia line.
First was with a twin stick in a of mack pulling a lowboy with dozer (d11?) On board across a oi field

Whole lotsa wtfs that day

Ah the good old days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vacancy (daytona coupe, 66 charger, cougar eliminator)
1967 F250: Restomod
1998 f150 reg cab, swb, 4x4 5.4
2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more

Last edited by A_G; 09-06-2016 at 08:21 PM.
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 86797
I've always wondered bout shutoff plates, butterflies failing or sucking air through broken gaskets and being unable to shutoff a runaway...

Would this be a good solution...

Plumb a fire suppression system, maybe even a handheld halon(or CO2) extinguisher with a hose extension to intake tract (like you would a before throttle blade intake nitrous nozzle). Have a runaway, trigger the extinguisher, it kills the combustion event, you don't risk sucking anything into the intake, you don't have the situation where you activate the plate or valve and it doesn't quite cut off enough air. Plus you're not sucking all the intake seals to death.

Whaddayathink?
1983 CJ-8 "Gossamer" FULLY POLISHED LS1, TH-400, Atlas 3.8:1 32 spline, 4" 0.375 wall driveshafts, Avalanche Titan axles, 2 1/2 ton third members, CTM axle shafts and Ujoints, ARB's, 15k Warn, Onboard welder and CO2, Halon and Coldfire extinguishers. CB, HF, PA, Sirens, Etc.
Threadkiller

Last edited by thordehr; 09-06-2016 at 08:50 PM.
thordehr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #66 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 95939
I'd take it over a CAT.

As the slaughter of WW2 fades, the young gear up for something they will wish they had not wished for.

Quote:
I hope the little stickie out leg on the R gives you a rectal tear as you shove it up your ass.
DR. SMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #67 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by isbj60 View Post
She's gone from blow to suck!

My favorite way to describe the cycles of a 4 cycle engine isn't intake-compression-power-exhaust; it's suck-squeeze-bang-blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thordehr View Post
I've always wondered bout shutoff plates, butterflies failing or sucking air through broken gaskets and being unable to shutoff a runaway...

Plumb a fire suppression system, maybe even a handheld halon(or CO2) extinguisher with a hose extension to intake tract (like you would a before throttle blade intake nitrous nozzle). Have a runaway, trigger the extinguisher, it kills the combustion event, you don't risk sucking anything into the intake, you don't have the situation where you activate the plate or valve and it doesn't quite cut off enough air. Plus you're not sucking all the intake seals to death.

Whaddayathink?
Interesting idea. I'd think CO2 might work as long as the temp of the gas going in isn't cold enough to flat out crack or shatter things. I'd be interested to run some tests. Any other gas that can deploy from a compressed state quickly enough without drastically lowering the temp of the engine could work I would think, but the only gas I know of that doesn't drop in temp, is acetylene. That one likes to increase in temperature and probably wouldn't help much in a runaway, depending on your definition of "help".

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #68 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 95939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
My favorite way to describe the cycles of a 4 cycle engine isn't intake-compression-power-exhaust; it's suck-squeeze-bang-blow.

Interesting idea. I'd think CO2 might work as long as the temp of the gas going in isn't cold enough to flat out crack or shatter things. I'd be interested to run some tests. Any other gas that can deploy from a compressed state quickly enough without drastically lowering the temp of the engine could work I would think, but the only gas I know of that doesn't drop in temp, is acetylene. That one likes to increase in temperature and probably wouldn't help much in a runaway, depending on your definition of "help".
Damn Boyles law of gases.

As the slaughter of WW2 fades, the young gear up for something they will wish they had not wished for.

Quote:
I hope the little stickie out leg on the R gives you a rectal tear as you shove it up your ass.
DR. SMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 46318
The engine is surprisingly clean. It does leak oil out of one of the tubes that come from the side of the engine there is one tube on each side. I'm not sure what the purpose of that tube is yet. Other than that, there are no leaks other than the coolant leak I found. It is leaking coolant just sitting there.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thordehr View Post

Whaddayathink?

I've thought about that before. I keep a CO2 fire extinguisher handy after I do any work on my IDI just for that reason. I'm not sure how well it wil work, but no o2 = no fire at the end of the day.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 3420
Those are the road draft tubes, they vent the crankcase.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
Those are the road draft tubes, they vent the crankcase.
Ok, is it an issue that there is a drip every 10 seconds or so when it is sitting at idle. I think it is only coming out of one side.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
When a 2 stroke diesel runs backwards,the intake and exhaust still function normally. The direction that the crank turns makes no difference.

The only issue I'm aware of is the oil pump may be direction sensitive.
you're an idiot who talks about shit he has NO FUCKING CLUE ABOUT

the blower is driven off the timing gears and is the only thing moving air through the engine
so yes it'll smoke out the air cleaner
and if you load it down hard it'll scuff up the rotors from the heat of pumping exhaust

ETA: but yeah the oil pump don't work going backwards either

Last edited by [486]; 09-06-2016 at 11:11 PM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #74 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 88698
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
and if you load it down hard it'll scuff up the rotors from the heat of pumping exhaust

Won't the waterpump keep it cool?
LBHSBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 510138
If u think 71 or 92 series scare you, listen to a 53 series 4000+ rpm twin turbos the first time I heard 1 its was n a boat when they ran the throttle up a ran away...there Sweet engines if u can find them after rebuilding a hand full of them..always go back with genuine Detroit parts not FP ..we have 15 running 12V71 in our boats and spares on the shelf
highyotaeddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in