2 stroke Detroit diesels - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #76 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
We have three Michigan 35 aws loaders with 3-53 engines in them Rebuilt one of them quite a few years back. It had a few lifters with the rollers not rolling, and an exhaust valve bridge broken on one cylinder. Still ran pretty decent, but runs a hell of a lot better now after being rebuilt!
Old 09-07-2016, 04:45 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Detroit's in construction equipment is very annoying do to the fact they are two stroke and sound like they are spinning twice the RPMS of 4 stroke Diesels...
Detroit powered excavators are especially annoying with dual exhausts...

In the beginning of Saving Private Ryan you can hear the exhaust sound of the Detroit powered landing craft...200,000 DD's were made during WW2 powering all sorts of stuff..
I've driven 238 HP Detroit powered 10 wheel trucks, go like hell until the road goes up hill...

Last edited by ADChevy4x4; 09-07-2016 at 04:45 AM.
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 06:43 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
The engine is surprisingly clean. It does leak oil out of one of the tubes that come from the side of the engine there is one tube on each side. I'm not sure what the purpose of that tube is yet.
Air box drains for oil that may collect there. Normal from what I had been told.
mjlogan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 143307
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlogan88 View Post
Air box drains for oil that may collect there. Normal from what I had been told.
Crankcase vents? Old school just dumped into the atmosphere. And since the pistons block the blown intake during the up strokes, expect blow by out of those tubes.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Ok, is it an issue that there is a drip every 10 seconds or so when it is sitting at idle. I think it is only coming out of one side.
there's a reason they're called slobber tubes.

I wouldn't worry about it unless there's an excessive amount of smoke and a near steady stream of oil.

I'd actually check the one that isn't dripping. They must remain open and unobstructed, or oil will collect in the airbox, and then the motor will ingest it. IIRC there's some check valves that regulate the pressure in there and controls the flow.
but it's been a while since I laid hands on a DD.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #81 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
When I worked on GSE at the airport we had a couple of bottle trucks for air-starting jets with compressors powered by Detroit diesels. It was fun to fire them up, especially with a few people around that weren't expecting it. Those motors sound pissed off.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 View Post
Detroit's in construction equipment is very annoying do to the fact they are two stroke and sound like they are spinning twice the RPMS of 4 stroke Diesels...
Detroit powered excavators are especially annoying with dual exhausts...

In the beginning of Saving Private Ryan you can hear the exhaust sound of the Detroit powered landing craft...200,000 DD's were made during WW2 powering all sorts of stuff..
I've driven 238 HP Detroit powered 10 wheel trucks, go like hell until the road goes up hill...
x2. Pettibones with screamers are neat for the first 15 mins, then they get exponentially more annoying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 94747
3000 rpm in a Detroit makes it sound like its already running away, and that's a detroits happy place. 3k sounds like 6k.

I've said it before on a thread in chit chat about diesels. I wouldn't be surprised to find out when I get to hell that the back ground music to my eternal damnation is a 24V-71 running against the governor.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #84 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
3000 rpm in a Detroit makes it sound like its already running away, and that's a detroits happy place. 3k sounds like 6k.

I've said it before on a thread in chit chat about diesels. I wouldn't be surprised to find out when I get to hell that the back ground music to my eternal damnation is a 24V-71 running against the governor.
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by thordehr View Post
I've always wondered bout shutoff plates, butterflies failing or sucking air through broken gaskets and being unable to shutoff a runaway...

Would this be a good solution...

Plumb a fire suppression system, maybe even a handheld halon(or CO2) extinguisher with a hose extension to intake tract (like you would a before throttle blade intake nitrous nozzle). Have a runaway, trigger the extinguisher, it kills the combustion event, you don't risk sucking anything into the intake, you don't have the situation where you activate the plate or valve and it doesn't quite cut off enough air. Plus you're not sucking all the intake seals to death.

Whaddayathink?

Normally unless you have modified the governor they just run up against it in a big hurry and make you shit your pants. It's amazing how fast they go from startup to 3k rpm plus they are noisy anyway. I think running away until it scatters parts is pretty rare unless it's pulling oil into the cylinders the max amount of fuel is regulated. If your playing with the governor and fuel pressure trying to make more HP, better have a blockoff plate handy and someone with balls holding it.
Norm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 38200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimmstone View Post
When he first got it he used to go easy on the engines. He became a convert after we used less fuel coming back from a fishing trip by flogging it then when we went out just cruising.
Detroit's are more efficient when they are working hard. According to this chart for a marine 6V53TA, the BSFC is best at ≈90% of rated power.

Quick & Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick & Dirty View Post
Detroit's are more efficient when they are working hard. According to this chart for a marine 6V53TA, the BSFC is best at ≈90% of rated power.
BSFC curve is at full load for that RPM

Last edited by [486]; 09-07-2016 at 05:17 PM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #88 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
I miss the sound of Detroit Diesel equipped crew boats throttling in and out of position under the rig while loading and back loading supplies. It wasn't the constant roar... Just the sound of the DD's throttling up and down and turbos spooling every few minutes as they tried to maintain position beside our rig.
Azzy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Supposedly this truck only has 50K miles on it. The odometer, interior, lack of oil on engine, and overall condition of the truck shows it, but it is really hard to believe given the age. It pulled cattle pots locally, then was purchased by a guy to ran a hay grinding business. I am really tempted to pull that muffler on it now and put a grin on my kid's faces as well as mine....
Old 09-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #90 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
No muffler and a big pipe. A straight 5" will cackle and have a crack to it. A larger pipe will mellow it out and make it drop an octave or 2.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #91 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 127719
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
We have three Michigan 35 aws loaders with 3-53 engines in them Rebuilt one of them quite a few years back. It had a few lifters with the rollers not rolling, and an exhaust valve bridge broken on one cylinder. Still ran pretty decent, but runs a hell of a lot better now after being rebuilt!
We have a Clark/Michigan 280 wheel dozer with a Detroit in it that sits on our milling pile and pushes millings off the back to be screened every now and again. I'm not sure what series is in it, but the thing fuckin screams. You can hear it all the way across our property when it's working.
Attached Images

Tow Pig: 86 F350 Turbo 6.9/ZF5 4x4 converted dually

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
old Chevy vs new Chevy ? nobody gives a fuck
please kick yourself in the cunt,

Last edited by oneofakind97; 09-07-2016 at 09:24 PM.
oneofakind97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 03:44 AM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 198851
The HP and torque is pretty impressive for 318 cubic inch Diesel

Old 09-08-2016, 05:37 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 85771
We have a gigantic snowblower at work that is used to move the piles of plowed snow. This blower came from an airport in New York or New Jersey.

Anyways, when that thing is cranked you can hear it from a loooong way away. Holy hell does that thing scream.

As far as running backwards, snowmobiles and jet skis both do that when switched to reverse.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 44136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
We have a gigantic snowblower at work that is used to move the piles of plowed snow. This blower came from an airport in New York or New Jersey.

Anyways, when that thing is cranked you can hear it from a loooong way away. Holy hell does that thing scream.

As far as running backwards, snowmobiles and jet skis both do that when switched to reverse.
maybe snowmobiles, but jet skis don't. They reverse just like a jet boat does, by putting a flap in front of the nozzle directing the water in the opposite direction.
Snowbird13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird13 View Post
maybe snowmobiles, but jet skis don't. They reverse just like a jet boat does, by putting a flap in front of the nozzle directing the water in the opposite direction.
Yer right. Im dumb.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #96 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 View Post
The HP and torque is pretty impressive for 318 cubic inch Diesel
That was my thought as well. I've always wanted to swap one into an older pickup but they're getting harder to find, and they're heavy as fuck. A 6V53T is like 1800 lbs if I recall. There is a guy on youtube with one in a late '70s Chevy 1 ton. I'd want a straight axle suspension like that of an older F-Superduty or something under the front. No way that double wishbone is gonna like that.

A 4-53T makes a bit more sense, but they're pretty heavy for the power output. They're 185hp for the 4-53T Silver series engine, supposedly over 200 is possible. They weigh what a damn 6BT does though... 1200 lbs. They're definitely outdated, but man do they sound cool. A member here had a 1950's Ford pickup with one under the hood.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 09-08-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 188835
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1473351926.005549.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  103.7 KB
I have the privilege of hearing this ones brother. A 24v71 off the governor is something that will bring a smile to anyone....except those in the houses within a 1/2mile radius.
rodslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 94747
This is about the perfect video to show what an old Detroit is good for. It's wound out the second it starts moving. Makes you wonder at first why he didn't start out in a higher gear. Watch all the way to end, its only a minute and a half.

This is a big ridiculous truck show, show piece but the sound is good.

[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 188835
That's the brother of the one I heard. Big Mike Harrahs Thor. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1473358590.318209.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  83.6 KB
rodslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
This is about the perfect video to show what an old Detroit is good for. It's wound out the second it starts moving. Makes you wonder at first why he didn't start out in a higher gear. Watch all the way to end, its only a minute and a half.
depending on class there may be a speed limit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in