2 stroke Detroit diesels - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 43079
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
whoa! no ignition to turn off
You do understand the combustion process of a diesel vs gas motor?

On the runaways the engine is getting its own fuel source, so say a key turning off the fuel pump (if it had an e one) would do nothing.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85f150dsel View Post

On the runaways the engine is getting its own fuel source, so say a key turning off the fuel pump (if it had an e one) would do nothing.
I do... it was a <sarcastic> comment. WOOSH....
Old 09-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85f150dsel View Post

Any Diesel, not just DD , can runaway .....Watch this crowd pleasing 6.0 Ford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZOdHMKo8Cc

Last edited by ADChevy4x4; 09-08-2016 at 03:29 PM.
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #104 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
I lost the turbo on a 3406e cat and that bitch tried taking me for a ride. Luckily I recognized what was going on and left it in 8th gear as I entered a rest area. I turned off the key and stood on the brakes and it heaved up then died and backfired.

I remember a pro stock car doing damage to the engine and it ran away. The safety safari was on top of it and hosed halon down the intake.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #105 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
That was my thought as well. I've always wanted to swap one into an older pickup but they're getting harder to find, and they're heavy as fuck. A 6V53T is like 1800 lbs if I recall. There is a guy on youtube with one in a late '70s Chevy 1 ton. I'd want a straight axle suspension like that of an older F-Superduty or something under the front. No way that double wishbone is gonna like that.

A 4-53T makes a bit more sense, but they're pretty heavy for the power output. They're 185hp for the 4-53T Silver series engine, supposedly over 200 is possible. They weigh what a damn 6BT does though... 1200 lbs. They're definitely outdated, but man do they sound cool. A member here had a 1950's Ford pickup with one under the hood.

Saw one in Atlanta a few years back in a 70s Ford F-350 flatbed
They stopped and helped my friend pick up all the lumber he dumped out of his shortbed pickup when he popped the clutch on a hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 148982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 View Post
Any Diesel, not just DD , can runaway .....Watch this crowd pleasing 6.0 Ford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZOdHMKo8Cc
And another just because.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=1axIO-g24RA
Pat McRotch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #107 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McRotch View Post
Holy fuck, gotta wait for the ending.

I'm impressed, a 2015 GMC too. I never would have guessed that going into the video. I guess it really can happen to anything.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 48146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
The engine is surprisingly clean. It does leak oil out of one of the tubes that come from the side of the engine there is one tube on each side. I'm not sure what the purpose of that tube is yet. Other than that, there are no leaks other than the coolant leak I found. It is leaking coolant just sitting there.

The small tubes on the side of the air-box, are oil drains. If you break a oil control ring or the wrist pin seal is burned or poorly set it will puke oil on one side. If you get oil out of both sides then look to the blower seals for the source.

Sometimes you can get lucky by removing the air-box covers and use a mirror as someone slowly rolls the engine over with a wrench and you can find the damaged wrist pin seal. The wrist pin seals are a tin plate that cups into the piston bore. It's a crap shoot when you set them. A hand suction cup is used to test for proper seating. A golf ball works well for seating the cups.

Last edited by Bluetick; 09-09-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Bluetick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 86724
I feel this needs to be in here

build thread.
Kenworth 850 Off Highway - RC Truck and Construction

it's amazeballs.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Ok. So I thought this truck had a air shut off for run aways but I am not sure now. The og owner said that the cable to shut the truck down wasn't working, so he always just put it in high gear and killed it....So there is a pull cable that is on the floor in front of the shifter. It routes down to what appears to be the back of the blower. The lever that this cable attaches too is stuck (I haven't had a chance to work on it yet). Is this the fuel shut off? Should there be a cable in the under dash somewhere for the fuel? There is also a lever behind the shifter that does not have anything attached to it. Can anyone tell me what this is for? I would like to know what these are for before I jump into fixing them. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #111 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Ok. So I thought this truck had a air shut off for run aways but I am not sure now. The og owner said that the cable to shut the truck down wasn't working, so he always just put it in high gear and killed it....So there is a pull cable that is on the floor in front of the shifter. It routes down to what appears to be the back of the blower. The lever that this cable attaches too is stuck (I haven't had a chance to work on it yet). Is this the fuel shut off? Should there be a cable in the under dash somewhere for the fuel? There is also a lever behind the shifter that does not have anything attached to it. Can anyone tell me what this is for? I would like to know what these are for before I jump into fixing them. Thanks.
The fuel shut-off should be a cable running to the engine governor. The cable you described that goes to the blower sounds to me like the air shut-off for runaways. It should be spring loaded to slap shut when the cable is pulled, and then you have to get out and re-set it by hand.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
The fuel shut-off should be a cable running to the engine governor. The cable you described that goes to the blower sounds to me like the air shut-off for runaways. It should be spring loaded to slap shut when the cable is pulled, and then you have to get out and re-set it by hand.
I think on the V motors they had the governor behind the blower. Someone who knows for sure will be along shortly though.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016, 10:40 PM   #113 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
I think on the V motors they had the governor behind the blower. Someone who knows for sure will be along shortly though.
Yup. My 6v53N has the governer behind the blower
Azzy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 585041
Im glad I read this and I wasnt imagining that 6-71 sputtering and then running backwards one day. Sucked the exaust flap down and rolled smoke from the intake.

I figured cause it was worn out...add oil and start it, it didnt wonk wonk wonk, just a steady roll until she caught, then puked the oil down the side of the stack until she decided what her level should be.

I think I dumped the clutch with the brakes engaged to shut it down, then cranked right back up like normal.

Was a 67 Bucyrus Erie truck crane, 6-71 lower 3-53 upper. 2 steer axles and you were in front of them, hanging off the front bumper basically. 48 mph floored. Manual steering, that sucked. It was scrapped around 06.

Its little brother the Grove 18 ton with a 4-71 was driving as of last week. On a cement mixer awd chassis. Makes me miss my 20's and the sound of a Detroit.

Scrapped a running Bucyrus-erie 36h excavator once, 6v71 in it. I remeber thinkg, how to sneak the blower home.
Dick Vineyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 46318
So is everyone thinking that the cable going to the back of my 8v71 the fuel cut off? I can't find anything by searching google.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 192237
share some pics
does the go pedal attach to the same box'o'bits?
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Quote:
share some pics
I will have to go look again. I will try to snap some pics.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #118 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
share some pics
This... if it is the governor box it will have the throttle pedal linkage going into it as well as the fuel shut off.

If it is a lever that actuates a flap in the path of the air-flow then it is the emergency air shut-off flap.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 48146
Some pics, pics always makes it better when talking about a flap.......
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 46318
I am currently looking for a cattle trailer for this truck. I will mainly be using it to haul pairs to pasture in the summer. My current lease is 90 miles away from my headquarters. I haul about 160 pairs to this lease and pasture another 25 pairs 20 miles away. The rest of the cows stay on my ranch. I have a choice between a pot and flat deck trailer. Will this truck (or me) with 350 horsepower and 13 spd be hating life grossing 80,000 pulling a cattle pot? Should I play it safe and get a flat deck that will be grossing around 50,000 to 60,000 and make more trips. There are a few short 7% grades. Pros to pot is haul more in one trip, cons are you will drag belly in some areas, top heavy and harder to pull, more up front cost. Straight deck is more maneuverable but will haul less on each trip, cheaper up front cost.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Go with the flat. 80,000 on a 7% is no fun in many modern trucks. Even at 50-60 you're gonna work your ass off.
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 46318
I went and looked at a straight floor yesterday and it was a pile. Drove 200 miles today and looked at a 47ft 1986 Wilson pot and bought it. They used to pull them full all the time with these trucks, no reason that I can't do it too. Time to man up and drive my ass off I guess. I will try to get some pics, definitely going to get some looks at the sale barn this fall with a '73 2 stroke cabover Pete and old school pot...
Old 11-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Well I went up to my summer pasture lease, which is 90 miles away and loaded 41 1300 lb momma cows and brought them home. Loaded 21 600 lb calves on the powerstroke. Blew a tire on the pot and tore up the back end of my trailer where the tail lights mount, really sucks. The truck drives great but I definitely would like more power. I have to pull a 7 percent grade that has a sharp turn at the bottom. Hit the bottom doing 65 and crested it doing 10, white knuckle ride. This was the first time I have ever driven a semi truck loaded, I was sweating cresting that hill. Downshifted 9 gears between the bottom and top.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #124 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
There ain't a bit of shame in going down a grade slowly. There are lots of people that throw their trucks off a hill and burn the brakes all the way down. I use the highest gear that will hold me to a steady speed without touching the brakes. That used to be 5th doing 19 mph with my old engine & trans and now it's 25 in 6th with the new stuff. Granted I'm grossing 96k+ when I do it but the method is the same.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 46318
I was going up the grade loaded. I was empty going down it, but you can bet your ass I will be geared down when I head down it loaded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in