2 stroke Detroit diesels - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Start up of the ol Pete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIsw1ttYVcA&t=2s
Old 02-04-2018, 07:22 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 55560
That was impressive. Great sounding engine.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Pretty cool truck
Old 02-05-2018, 05:32 AM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 12495
I've got a tired 4-53 in a TimberJack skidder. Adding a block heater makes it start like its summer. 3 hours plugged in while i drop a few trees and it doesn't need ether even below zero. Before i had to put a salamander on the blower to get her to run below 10f or so.

Slobber is normal if you let it idle or lug. I run mine 3/4 throttle or more it only drips a little when i shut it down. Let it idle and it has a puddle.

Double hearing protection at all times.

I think the spec when new for oil use is 1 gal per 10 hours... no joke.
muddyrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrover View Post
I've got a tired 4-53 in a TimberJack skidder. Adding a block heater makes it start like its summer. 3 hours plugged in while i drop a few trees and it doesn't need ether even below zero. Before i had to put a salamander on the blower to get her to run below 10f or so.

Slobber is normal if you let it idle or lug. I run mine 3/4 throttle or more it only drips a little when i shut it down. Let it idle and it has a puddle.

Double hearing protection at all times.

I think the spec when new for oil use is 1 gal per 10 hours... no joke.
I add a gallon every 1000 miles or so, this engine seems to be in decent shape.

Last edited by AllGoNoShow; 02-05-2018 at 08:53 AM.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Nice video - I have a 6V92 in a motorhome and it sounds awesome, I love the sound of a 2-stroke. With the block heater on for a few hours it will start at zero degrees F as if it had been running all day. Without the block heater I wouldn't even try below about 40.
Realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realsquash View Post
Nice video - I have a 6V92 in a motorhome and it sounds awesome, I love the sound of a 2-stroke. With the block heater on for a few hours it will start at zero degrees F as if it had been running all day. Without the block heater I wouldn't even try below about 40.
Yeah I was pleasantly surprised it started. I usually plug in the block heater the night before, but I decided I would see if it would start without it. Truck just drives straight as an arrow, I love it. Steering it in tight spots and backing up that cattle pot loaded gives your arms a work out.

Last edited by AllGoNoShow; 02-05-2018 at 11:22 AM.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #133 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 653210
Quote:
Love my DD in My RV too
got an 8v92 with a turbo in the bus (500 hp.) nearly straight piped, window is open whenever I drive that old girl.

And got old 2-71 on my generator for the house, originally from a railroad refer boxcar. 25KVA runs everything at .75 gallons an hour (1200rpm)
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #134 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Moe View Post
Love my DD in My RV too
got an 8v92 with a turbo in the bus (500 hp.) nearly straight piped, window is open whenever I drive that old girl.

And got old 2-71 on my generator for the house, originally from a railroad refer boxcar. 25KVA runs everything at .75 gallons an hour (1200rpm)
Thats a sweet backup generator!

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #135 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 653210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Thats a sweet backup generator!
Thanks, Ive got it setup with either injection now. I was able to start it at -15F, its bailed us out as recently as this fall, we were 6 days without power after a major storm.

these are still available for cheap as surplus and have been documented to run in excess of 80k hours before failure although they are not for everyone due to the old tech...but its all mechanical
Old 02-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
Badass! And local!
Old 02-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
Love my DD in My RV too
Nice Bird! I have a PT35 that I've been restoring and also sporting the high flow exhaust and open-window syndrome One of these days I might turn it up a little, but I shouldn't mess with it.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #138 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 653210
[quote=Realsquash;43068218]Nice Bird! I have a PT35 that I've been restoring and also sporting the high flow exhaust and open-window syndrome One of these days I might turn it up a little, but I shouldn't mess with it.

SWEET! There is no other RV like a Bird!

(Oh hey! Im the dude that bought your mog axles)

Last edited by Mopar Moe; 02-05-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: simplify
Mopar Moe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
SWEET! There is no other RV like a Bird!

(Oh hey! Im the dude that bought your mog axles)
Hah that's awesome! Great minds think alike. You weren't at the WOG rally 2017 in GA by chance were you?
Old 02-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Here and I thought the 1200 was idle, and they ran up to 1800 when loaded.
Just running a compressor in the original application.

Yours turning 1200, wonder how they got 60hz out of it, maybe a 3 pole generator?
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post

Yours turning 1200, wonder how they got 60hz out of it, maybe a 3 pole generator?
I believe they were 3 phase and 6 poles? Does that work out?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Ach, I dun did da math wrong
6 pole is 1200, I was thinking 1 less than 4 rather than 1 set more than 4

Was just remembering an anecdote from an old guy who worked on railroad stuff, said the load sensing bit would go bad and that they'd fix them by wiring the governor lever to the "high speed" position for both unloaded and loaded operation. The 1200 was idle and the 1800 was when the load came on. Making me think that they came set up with a generator built for 1800 RPM use causing confusion when he said his ran at 1200.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
Ach, I dun did da math wrong
6 pole is 1200, I was thinking 1 less than 4 rather than 1 set more than 4

Was just remembering an anecdote from an old guy who worked on railroad stuff, said the load sensing bit would go bad and that they'd fix them by wiring the governor lever to the "high speed" position for both unloaded and loaded operation. The 1200 was idle and the 1800 was when the load came on. Making me think that they came set up with a generator built for 1800 RPM use causing confusion when he said his ran at 1200.
I think they would slow down the engine to reduce the frequency to slow the motors down to maintain temps and reduce fuel usage. Odd setup but they run for a very long time.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:47 AM   #144 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 653210
Quote:
Hah that's awesome! Great minds think alike. You weren't at the WOG rally 2017 in GA by chance were you?
No, Mine is a repo unit I bought cheap ,however it sat for a while and have been working on getting it sorted, ( new batteries(11) new chargers, refrigerator, tires ect.) we are almost done though
Old 02-06-2018, 04:49 AM   #145 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 653210
Quote:

Its a 3 phase unit, 20kw/25kva, a GE powerhead.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:25 AM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
No, Mine is a repo unit I bought cheap ,however it sat for a while and have been working on getting it sorted, ( new batteries(11) new chargers, refrigerator, tires ect.) we are almost done though
Why is it white? Primer? I like the white for some reason. I put a Chevy Volt battery in mine last summer. Now I can run a couple of A/Cs on battery power :-) I've done so much work on it, but it's not done yet. I just did all the brakes, bags, wheel seals, and the fan motor. Expensive couple of weeks. I installed a Chevy Volt battery (16.5 kwh) and a big inverter last summer so I can run two A/C's from battery power :-)

I went to the WOG rally in 2017 (without the bus) and it was pretty awesome and I'm planning on taking the bus this year. It's a long trip from Maine, but you should go!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:14 AM   #147 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 653210
Quote:
Why is it white? Primer? I like the white for some reason. I put a Chevy Volt battery in mine last summer. Now I can run a couple of A/Cs on battery power :-) I've done so much work on it, but it's not done yet. I just did all the brakes, bags, wheel seals, and the fan motor. Expensive couple of weeks. I installed a Chevy Volt battery (16.5 kwh) and a big inverter last summer so I can run two A/C's from battery power :-)

I went to the WOG rally in 2017 (without the bus) and it was pretty awesome and I'm planning on taking the bus this year. It's a long trip from Maine, but you should go!
This one is an ex NASCAR team rv, it was painted white to facilitate a wrap for the team. I like it white too , looks good with the polished aluminum and its nice and cool at the track too ( I screw around with the SCCA in a GTL car)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 46318
I am going to make a 200 mile round trip with the Pete today, I will get some video today.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 213079
Surprised to see a 2 stroke thread on here. I have many of these, some in pickups some in semis. Great engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
The engine is surprisingly clean. It does leak oil out of one of the tubes that come from the side of the engine there is one tube on each side. I'm not sure what the purpose of that tube is yet. Other than that, there are no leaks other than the coolant leak I found. It is leaking coolant just sitting there.
Those are airbox drains (slobber tubes). As the engine runs the blower pumps air into a large cavity in the center of the block called the airbox. This is where the ports in the liners are. As it runs the piston passes those liner ports and over time the airbox accumulates combustion byproducts oil/fuel/etc and this needs to have a place to be drained. That is what those tubes are. The more you idle this engine the more it will slobber from those tubes. The reason for this is because they don't make enough heat at idle because they move so much air and can actually glaze cylinders. This is why the slobber cleans up after you run them hard with a good load, it actually removes the glaze and reseats the rings. Most guys think they leak oil, but most don't it's just as designed slobber from the slobber tubes. Love the ol pete nice to see one out there still working!

Here's a few of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbfkv5_gKHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4WT0fbod4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOl4grMj8Xg
Wayne64SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne64SS View Post
Surprised to see a 2 stroke thread on here. I have many of these, some in pickups some in semis. Great engine.

Those are airbox drains (slobber tubes). As the engine runs the blower pumps air into a large cavity in the center of the block called the airbox. This is where the ports in the liners are. As it runs the piston passes those liner ports and over time the airbox accumulates combustion byproducts oil/fuel/etc and this needs to have a place to be drained. That is what those tubes are. The more you idle this engine the more it will slobber from those tubes. The reason for this is because they don't make enough heat at idle because they move so much air and can actually glaze cylinders. This is why the slobber cleans up after you run them hard with a good load, it actually removes the glaze and reseats the rings. Most guys think they leak oil, but most don't it's just as designed slobber from the slobber tubes. Love the ol pete nice to see one out there still working!

Here's a few of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbfkv5_gKHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4WT0fbod4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOl4grMj8Xg
Cool vids! Do you think my rack needs adjusted? Someone suggested that in my youtube comments, mostly due to the excessive lope on start up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in