Underwater Fishing Camera - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 39366
Underwater Fishing Camera

Alright, who has one and what is your experience on them?

Also, has anyone made one? Do's and dont's?

I just started researching this and my initial thoughts are to build a water proof case for a car back up camera with some leds built in then cable and lcd screen FTW.

Ive seen a few builds and kind of have an idea. But I would like some info/suggestions especially from people that have knowledge of this stuff.

I would like to keep this as cheap as possible and thinking max build of like $75-$100.
[QUOTE=Dieselmh;27768049]I don't know either, but dammit, this is the internet. And as an internet user, it's my job to jump to conclusions and get angry about things that don't personally affect me in any way, shape of form, so fuck you! :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
75cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Maybe try to seal up a high res wide angled lens dome security camera? Some are waterproof but not for the budget you mention.

It's a cool idea, I googled, didn't know commercially available ones exist... some pretty pricey
Old 09-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 39366
Ya they get really pricey!

this is kinda what I want to go for
Aqua-Vu AV Micro II Underwater Camera : Cabela's

obviously the camera will be much bigger due to it being in like a pvc pipe or something.

A guy I fished with this weekend had one and he dropped it right off the dock and bam clear as day are two smallmouth just chillin there. For $under $75 is would be neat to carry around for shit and giggles, $250 is too much for a rec fisherman like me haha.
[QUOTE=Dieselmh;27768049]I don't know either, but dammit, this is the internet. And as an internet user, it's my job to jump to conclusions and get angry about things that don't personally affect me in any way, shape of form, so fuck you! :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
Old 09-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 90077
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75cruisin View Post
Ya they get really pricey!

this is kinda what I want to go for
Aqua-Vu AV Micro II Underwater Camera : Cabela's

obviously the camera will be much bigger due to it being in like a pvc pipe or something.

A guy I fished with this weekend had one and he dropped it right off the dock and bam clear as day are two smallmouth just chillin there. For $under $75 is would be neat to carry around for shit and giggles, $250 is too much for a rec fisherman like me haha.
Did you catch either bass?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 82607
You can build a wired one pretty reasonable. I took some pvc fittings, had the glass shop fit me a round lens that was captured with some screw on fittings, 1.5" I believe, it;s been a while. I used a cheap radio shack security camera and just removed it from it's housing. It's a color camera with infrared leds all around it. Now the trick is to have the lens pushed right up tight to the glass otherwise you will see the infrared leds. I glued a fin on it so it would track , I have a giant swivel on the top and bottom, to hook it to the downrigger cable and hook the cannon ball to the bottom. It works well but at the time I didn't have a nice flat screen (13-15") to view it on while trolling. All I had was a little 5" and between the squinting and the glare from the sun we soon gave up on it. I have it in a gallon jug in the garage if you would like pictures. It's 12v powered so the cable (about 80') contains the power and the video cables.
I would think you could do wireless today for not much money.
We didn't run it all the time, just long enough to watch the lure and ensure the speed and action of the lure were correct for a given day and current.
I see no reason why you couldn't just let it down from a dock or stationary and have fun watching it.
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4001
Sounds like you are not planning on buying an Aqua Vu. But, we bought one for a work project to look at down-hole conditions during some drilling. I was not impressed- didn't see a single fish!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scout Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 110820
I had an Aqua-view with a camera shaped like a Crappie. It was pretty clear and worked great for about a week.

After that the Crappie kept leaking. Once it had water inside it, it sucked. Couldn't see anything but fog.

I returned it and got another one. A week later the new Crappie leaked. Took it back and kept my monies.
I HATE PONIES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 40417
My luck I'd get it hung up in some weeds, a huge boulder, a log, etc....

It would be really cool to see the way fish respond to different lures and baits.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 21409
This may be a bit bigger and heavier than you are looking for. This could probably be replicated fairly close with supplies from the hardware store

http://fishthebaja.com/wp-content/up...5/TrollPro.png

And I just picked up a SJCam SJ4000 quickly playing with it, it seems fairly descent.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pyagid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 71821
I bought a go pro session 2 weeks ago for $127. It's waterproof to 30' and you can watch the video on your phone wirelessly.

How deep are you wanting to go?
livlian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 104517
Quote:
Originally Posted by livlian View Post
I bought a go pro session 2 weeks ago for $127. It's waterproof to 30' and you can watch the video on your phone wirelessly.

How deep are you wanting to go?
We tried that. It only works for about 3' and then the ice and water blocked the wifi.

My tackle box has 10x the money that aqua views costs. Probably would have been cheaper....

I keep thinking about camera vs sonar for ice fishing. A vexlar with the camera is what I've settled on. Best of both worlds.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 120768
Quote:
Alright, who has one and what is your experience on them?

Also, has anyone made one? Do's and dont's?

I just started researching this and my initial thoughts are to build a water proof case for a car back up camera with some leds built in then cable and lcd screen FTW.

Ive seen a few builds and kind of have an idea. But I would like some info/suggestions especially from people that have knowledge of this stuff.

I would like to keep this as cheap as possible and thinking max build of like $75-$100.
Pipe Inspection Camera Tube Sonde Video Sewer Drain Cleaner Waterproof 50 ft New | eBay

Drain inspection camera. $34. Uses a phone or laptop for the display. 50' of cable and it's waterproof. I have one and it works pretty good for the price.
havasusprings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 39366
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithoranger View Post
Did you catch either bass?
Yessireee
Old 09-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 39366
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post
You can build a wired one pretty reasonable. I took some pvc fittings, had the glass shop fit me a round lens that was captured with some screw on fittings, 1.5" I believe, it;s been a while. I used a cheap radio shack security camera and just removed it from it's housing. It's a color camera with infrared leds all around it. Now the trick is to have the lens pushed right up tight to the glass otherwise you will see the infrared leds. I glued a fin on it so it would track , I have a giant swivel on the top and bottom, to hook it to the downrigger cable and hook the cannon ball to the bottom. It works well but at the time I didn't have a nice flat screen (13-15") to view it on while trolling. All I had was a little 5" and between the squinting and the glare from the sun we soon gave up on it. I have it in a gallon jug in the garage if you would like pictures. It's 12v powered so the cable (about 80') contains the power and the video cables.
I would think you could do wireless today for not much money.
We didn't run it all the time, just long enough to watch the lure and ensure the speed and action of the lure were correct for a given day and current.
I see no reason why you couldn't just let it down from a dock or stationary and have fun watching it.
Thanks for the info about being close to the glass, that's exactly what one of my concerns was
Old 09-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 39366
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasusprings View Post
Pipe Inspection Camera Tube Sonde Video Sewer Drain Cleaner Waterproof 50 ft New | eBay

Drain inspection camera. $34. Uses a phone or laptop for the display. 50' of cable and it's waterproof. I have one and it works pretty good for the price.
I looked into those and might work. That one you posted has an IP66 and from what ive read that actually isn't very water proof. the I and the first # are for intrusion like for dust and the P is for water. I think the scale goes up to 8.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 82607
I'll send you this one for postage.
I'll take a pic after lunch.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 39366
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post
I'll send you this one for postage.
I'll take a pic after lunch.
Thanks! Ya I would be interested to check it out.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 82607
Quote:
Thanks! Ya I would be interested to check it out.

Yellow plug is video, black is 12v, can't remember if white is sound?

Last edited by dave_dj1; 09-07-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 39366
[QUOTE=dave_dj1;38152882
Yellow plug is video, black is 12v, can't remember if white is sound?[/QUOTE]

Message sent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in