Pets in grocery stores? - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 77571
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
You may have been the guy I asked before... What kind of dog is that? Does she look like this one?
Don't think I've posted a picture Bo Dog before this thread. Yours and mine look pretty close though. Bo has the shoulders and rear end/tail of a Pit.

He is a Lab Pit Bull mix from the pound. My daughter was taking Vet classes (she is a Vet now)and they were bringing good natured dogs into the classroom. We had recently put down our Lab (12 YO) and Bo popped up. She sent me a text about him so I drove to the campus shelter......They were holding animals for the next days classes...........Met him, spent the night and bought him home the next day.

We have inseparable since. Loves Jeeps and wheeling.

Waiting to go home on Jeep night after mingling with the crowd in parking lot.

I tie him to the D ring with a leash that Jim Markham of JM Rigging made for me while we eat. Then he joins us loose in the parking lot.

Last edited by jsawduste; 11-06-2016 at 07:02 PM.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #77 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectWin View Post
I have a service dog. She's been with me more than anyone in my family since I've had her. I can put her down at a table in a restaurant, a big-ass food court, or wherever and she'll stay there at the table. She's been to multiple hospitals, The White House, multiple museums in DC, public transit, movie theaters, you name it. Only place she hasn't been is on an airplane.
FWIW, when I see German Shepherd, I don't question the legitimacy, one fucking bit.

Having owned a couple that were trained by the APD K9 trainer, I'd like to think I know a well trained dog when I see one. Always exceptions to the rule, but your average fake "service dog" is generally not a GSD. Most people don't have the responsibility to own one imo.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 628250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
You may have been the guy I asked before... What kind of dog is that? Does she look like this one?

That looks like a Border Collie/ Lab mix to me.
Illysium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #79 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Kinda what I thought. Shes right at 100lbs and 3 years old. The "story" I got was that she was the runt of the litter and the breeder gave her to the family I got her from. Apparently shes a st bernard/ mastiff from purebre parrents. I got her hoping she would be 200+ but 100lbs of dog is plenty
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 1418
meh, I take my dog to Lowe's almost all the time
Old 11-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 436537
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
I honestly think it's disgusting that they let people in grocery stores. They prod everything, pick it up, put it back, drop it on the floor, etc, etc... I'd much rather just put an order in and have a robot pull it all and bag it for me.
Do you have any idea how expensive it would be to design, build and maintain those robots?!

Better solution would be to just train some dogs to fetch the groceries.
shredator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:
I have a service dog. She's been with me more than anyone in my family since I've had her. I can put her down at a table in a restaurant, a big-ass food court, or wherever and she'll stay there at the table. She's been to multiple hospitals, The White House, multiple museums in DC, public transit, movie theaters, you name it. Only place she hasn't been is on an airplane.

If I walk into a place and someone that works there asks if she's a service dog I respond "Yes, do you want to see her card?" If they want to see it I'll show it. Most don't.

If it's Joe Asshole interrupting me as I go about trip to town, while I'm trying to eat a meal with my family, or whatever, they can fawk off. I don't need to answer questions that do nothing other than feed their curiosity. It doesn't matter what her fawking name is - you don't need to know it.

As for a vest ID'ing the dog as a service dog...EVERY TIME someone finds out she's a service dog it never fails...a series of questions about how I ended up with her.

I think a lot of that is the fact that the curious people that approach me are more prone to keep asking questions after they find out she's a service dog.

The people that see us together and ignore us don't bother us. I don't think those people would ask anything if she had a vest on.

If you don't like it, she says "Thpbbt!"
i probably missed it over the years, but why do you have a service dog?

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo arís[/COLOR]
NERVEman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 03:50 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 80349
I'd rather them bring in a pet than a screaming-ass annoying little shit baby/kid that won't shut the f-up.

Last edited by muddeprived; 11-07-2016 at 03:50 AM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 04:01 AM   #84 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Only time anything like this ever bothered me was at the dealership. People would leave their dogs in their cars and not say shit about them being in there. First time I dealt with it I went to move a customer's car and I sat down in the driver's seat and all of a sudden something licks the back of my neck. I turn around and there's a fucking Irish Wolfhound in the back seat. Other than the initial shock it didn't bother me, but it struck me an being incredibly inconsiderate. This guy knew he was coming in for an oil change or whatever, why the fuck would you just leave this massive dog in there? You know someone else is going to be in your car. What if they're allergic to dogs? What if they're just scared of them? What if the dog freaks the fuck out due to an unknown person or unknown situation?
When I worked at the chevy dealer I got in a Malibu to do something minor to it. As I pulled into the shop I got that feeling that someone is staring at me. I turned around and there was a little black kid in a car seat in the back. Maybe 18 months. I said hi to him and he just sat there. I finished that car asap and told my service advisor. He said the lady never mentioned a kid in the car. Wtf.

On topic, I don't give a fawk if someone brings their dog into a store.

Last edited by DMG; 11-07-2016 at 04:15 AM.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 77578
Send a message via AIM to XJben
Dog people....sheesh

millions and millions of people own dogs, but only a few special morons think that their dogs (non-service) are cool and well behaved enough to take into stores.

Surprisingly most people understand that the general public doesn't care/want to see, smell, hear, get touched by their animal and leaves them at home.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 685778
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Oddly enough, I tend to pay attention to where I put my hands. Yes, some of those places are questionable, but they make this stuff called soap. You should try it sometime, it works really amazing, just mix it with a little water and you can just scrub the hooker blood and graveyard dirt right off.
Every hand you've shook in your life has had a dick in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVEman View Post
i probably missed it over the years, but why do you have a service dog?
TBI. Killed me. Been dealing with shit since. Docs said it would be good for me.
ProjectWin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
I'm gonna tell me buddy you said that about his 8yo daughter.

DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 59753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
In my brief visit to Paris years ago I was somewhat surprised to see dogs in restaurants and everywhere else. Those silly frogs.
They are not being silly, they are being very smart.
Muslims consider dogs as an unclean animal.
Having strick guns laws it is one way to carry a "loaded weapon" with you.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 52202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred W. View Post
They are not being silly, they are being very smart.
Muslims consider dogs as an unclean animal.
Having strick guns laws it is one way to carry a "loaded weapon" with you.
Good grief you're a dumbass..
52202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 127163
I would never take my dog to the grocery store, that's getting a little ridiculous. But I'll sure as hell take him to Home Depot where he's better behaved than any child in that place.

The thing that kills me is when restaurants blame health codes. Happened a bunch in DC, some restaurants wouldn't let dogs inside their fenced in area of the sidewalk because "its a health code issue". Well, tell that to the restaurant across the street that lets dogs on the porch. Tell that to the bar down the street that actually lets dogs inside. Just say you are against dogs and I'll stop coming to your business when I have my animal with me. These places were walkable to our house and the dog just likes being outside. Why leave him home when he can enjoy the weather and get some exercise in?
Old 11-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 43837
Hmm.
I'd never take my dog in a grocery store.

Very rare do i see one in a store around here... but we arent really in a millennial area.

We were on a road trip with dog and decided we wanted something besides fast food. Typed "san antonio dog friendly restaurant" in to the google and found a place with good burgers and a patio and playground.

There were a few other well behaved dogs and they brought out a waterbowl. KInda fun everyonce in a while. Our dog pretty much gave zero fucks and just layed there unless people came to pet her lol.

I have no reason to make a habit of taking her to stores or places we eat. We take her to parks and trails and places that she probaly enjoys more than a tile floor.

Dogs dont bother me much... kinda like kids... it's their authority figures than annoy me.

This issue pretty much fits my thoughts on a lot of things. WE need less rules and laws.... and more public shunning of assholes and selfcentered idiots.

Last edited by bigbroncojeff; 11-08-2016 at 07:33 AM.
bigbroncojeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 90077
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
When I worked at the chevy dealer I got in a Malibu to do something minor to it. As I pulled into the shop I got that feeling that someone is staring at me. I turned around and there was a little black kid in a car seat in the back. Maybe 18 months. I said hi to him and he just sat there. I finished that car asap, checked to make sure that I still had my wallet, and told my service advisor. He said the lady never mentioned a kid in the car. Wtf.

On topic, I don't give a fawk if someone brings their dog into a store.
FIFY
Old 11-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 28792
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJben View Post
Dog people....sheesh

millions and millions of people own dogs, but only a few special morons think that their dogs (non-service) are cool and well behaved enough to take into stores.

Surprisingly most people understand that the general public doesn't care/want to see, smell, hear, get touched by their animal and leaves them at home.
This.

And I hate when dogs come up, jump, claw or rub against me.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #94 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJben View Post
Dog people....sheesh

I agree and the same for kids.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 202427
Department of Justice seal
U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
Disability Rights Section

ADA 2010 Revised Requirements

Service Animals
The Department of Justice published revised final regulations implementing the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) for title II (State and local government services) and title III (public accommodations and commercial facilities) on September 15, 2010, in the Federal Register. These requirements, or rules, clarify and refine issues that have arisen over the past 20 years and contain new, and updated, requirements, including the 2010 Standards for Accessible Design (2010 Standards).
Overview

This publication provides guidance on the term “service animal” and the service animal provisions in the Department’s new regulations.
##Beginning on March 15, 2011, only dogs are recognized as service animals under titles II and III of the ADA.
##A service animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability.
##Generally, title II and title III entities must permit service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas where members of the public are allowed to go.

How “Service Animal” Is Defined

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.
This definition does not affect or limit the broader definition of “assistance animal” under the Fair Housing Act or the broader definition of “service animal” under the Air Carrier Access Act.

Some State and local laws also define service animal more broadly than the ADA does. Information about such laws can be obtained from the State attorney general’s office.

Where Service Animals Are Allowed

Under the ADA, State and local governments, businesses, and nonprofit organizations that serve the public generally must allow service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of the facility where the public is normally allowed to go. For example, in a hospital it would be inappropriate to exclude a service animal from areas such as patient rooms, clinics, cafeterias, or examination rooms. However, it may be appropriate to exclude a service animal from operating rooms or burn units where the animal’s presence may compromise a sterile environment.

Service Animals Must Be Under Control

Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.

Inquiries, Exclusions, Charges, and Other Specific Rules Related to Service Animals
##When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.
##Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility.
##A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken. When there is a legitimate reason to ask that a service animal be removed, staff must offer the person with the disability the opportunity to obtain goods or services without the animal’s presence.
##Establishments that sell or prepare food must allow service animals in public areas even if state or local health codes prohibit animals on the premises.
##People with disabilities who use service animals cannot be isolated from other patrons, treated less favorably than other patrons, or charged fees that are not charged to other patrons without animals. In addition, if a business requires a deposit or fee to be paid by patrons with pets, it must waive the charge for service animals.
##If a business such as a hotel normally charges guests for damage that they cause, a customer with a disability may also be charged for damage caused by himself or his service animal.
##Staff are not required to provide care or food for a service animal.

Miniature Horses

In addition to the provisions about service dogs, the Department’s revised ADA regulations have a new, separate provision about miniature horses that have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. (Miniature horses generally range in height from 24 inches to 34 inches measured to the shoulders and generally weigh between 70 and 100 pounds.) Entities covered by the ADA must modify their policies to permit miniature horses where reasonable. The regulations set out four assessment factors to assist entities in determining whether miniature horses can be accommodated in their facility. The assessment factors are (1) whether the miniature horse is housebroken; (2) whether the miniature horse is under the owner’s control; (3) whether the facility can accommodate the miniature horse’s type, size, and weight; and (4) whether the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation of the facility.

For more information about the ADA, please visit our website or call our toll-free number.

ADA Website

www.ADA.gov

To receive e-mail notifications when new ADA information is available,

visit the ADA Website’s home page and click the link near the top of the middle column.

ADA Information Line

800-514-0301 (Voice) and 800-514-0383 (TTY)

24 hours a day to order publications by mail.

M-W, F 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Th 12:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. (Eastern Time)

to speak with an ADA Specialist. All calls are confidential.

For persons with disabilities, this publication is available in alternate formats.

Duplication of this document is encouraged. July 2011

PDF Version of this Document

July 12, 2011
Old 11-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:

TBI. Killed me. Been dealing with shit since. Docs said it would be good for me.
and hoping your doc was right and it has been good for you.
cheers

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo arís[/COLOR]
NERVEman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #97 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
Miniature horses for service animals? First I've heard of that. I'm totally going to get one so I can bring it into the grocery store!

Last edited by 300sniper; 11-08-2016 at 11:37 AM.
300sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 53453
I didn't realize that a miniature horse could be housebroken. What about a full size horse? I'd love to have a Clydesdale to be my service animal.

DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #99 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVEman View Post
and hoping your doc was right and it has been good for you.
cheers
Apparently you missed the part where he said he hates people asking him about her.

CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
Hardware store and tractor supply are completely different than grocery stores and restaurants. I doubt there is any health code prohibiting it in those locations.
Well there sure as shit should be. When I'm at the hardware store and see the 2/$1 candy covered in dust and think to myself, "Hey, circus peanuts are disgusting, I should get some", I don't want dog slobber on them. Sheesh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in