My Family's world changed again 2 days ago - Juvenile diabetes - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Plym49 is confusing type 1 and 2. I'm a Certified Diabetes Educator and if you have any questions hit me up.

Learn how to count carbs and adjust the insulin accordingly.

Diabetes.org is a great resource. If you're feeling up to it read the standards of medical care 2016 on their website. Its THE resource for health professionals.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 16993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
I've been Diabetic since Feb 1988, the advice from others is great. I think for kids the important thing is to remain positive, don't tell her she can't do any activity the other kids are doing. Keep something to bring up the blood sugar if needed handy but that should be the only condition.
For kids some states/regions will have a diabetic camp for kids where they get to interact with others their age, usually they are staffed by nurses/doctors and diabetic camp leaders. A quick google brought up this one in West Virginia --> Camp Kno-Koma
That looks really cool. Going to show it to her tomorrow. I think she'd be interested, except it will interfere with her newest love...golf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhines View Post
I was diagnosed as type 1 at about 14 years old. It seemed like the end of the world at the time...back then that meant never eating a meal without checking my glucose and doing an injection first. Things have come a long way now...I use a CGM system that lets look at my phone to know what my glucose is...and an insulin pen to correct.

It was rough for the first few years but I live pretty close to a normal life now...Im sure your daughter will get there to probably sooner than y'all think. When I was diagnosed my dad was good about not letting me feel sorry for myself and helping me come up with ways to still take of myself without it being obvious when I was out with my friends...I think that was the biggest deal for the first few years.

if you haven't found it already look into Dexcom GCM. She wears a sensor she changes once a week (she still has to calibrate it once or twice a day) that sends her glucose to her phone or a dedicated device if she wanted to. I don't use this feature but with dexcom share you can see her Glucose on your phone to...as a parent now I can only imagine the load that would have taken off of my parents.
The GCM sounds great. We are meeting with the nephrologist for about 4 hours of learning on Tuesday. I'm sure options will be discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAN283 View Post
The sudden explosion is TYPE II diabetes, not type I

TYPE II is largely an issue of the overweight, and rarely excersized.
It's a result of the current stat of America. Fat.

And TYPE I has existed for years, it just wasn't diagnosed as often. And yes, the entire row of diabetes items is because of education and awareness.

Are you diabetic?
This is the thing that I wish everyone realized. There's no stopping or avoiding Type 1. It's in your genes and something triggers it at some point.

Again, thanks to you all. Really mean that.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 16993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
Plym49 is confusing type 1 and 2. I'm a Certified Diabetes Educator and if you have any questions hit me up.

Learn how to count carbs and adjust the insulin accordingly.

Diabetes.org is a great resource. If you're feeling up to it read the standards of medical care 2016 on their website. Its THE resource for health professionals.
Thanks. Started the carb counting and adjustments immediately. Already have the hang of it pretty good. She has been very pleasantly surprised with what she is still able to eat while sticking to the diet.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarScramb View Post
Thanks. Started the carb counting and adjustments immediately. Already have the hang of it pretty good. She has been very pleasantly surprised with what she is still able to eat while sticking to the diet.
If you get her insulin dosing under control she can basically eat whatever since there is no insulin resistance unlike with type 2. Insulin has unlimited A1C lowering potential unlike oral meds which are only good for 1-2% each.

They have new ultra long acting basal insulins that only need to be given every 40 hours or so. Getting your insurance to cover it is another matter.

Get her good habits started now because the teenage years are tough. I had 40,000 pts with DM that I was managing at my last position and the teens were the hardest. Highest A1C I saw was 22. Most labs wouldn't even go that high.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 42503
Quote:
3. Get her set up with CGM (continuous glucose monitoring). It's AWESOME. She can see her sugars on a tiny Bluetooth monitor,,,,and the reading can be monitored on a your cell phone,,,,live,,,,,from anywhere!...
Kind of as a coincidence I had a Dr appointment today and he mentioned the FDA approved this --> FDA Approves MiniMed 670G System – World’s First Hybrid Closed Loop System | Medtronic Diabetes, Between the Lines

Basically a pump that talks to a CGM and automatically changes dosage for you. He mentioned that they were surprised FDA approved so quickly and right now are struggling to ramp up to meet demand.

Quote:

Btw my A1C has hovered around 5.9 for 25 years.
I eat what I want, when I want. I live, work, party, excersize, ski, wheel, hunt, travel, swim, etc. diabetes hasn't limited me. Today's insulin and monitoring tools make my desease a joke. It's rediculously easy.
that's better than me, my A1c was 6.6 today. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing good and then other days I wonder if I'm stabbing in the dark and hoping to hit target. Ryan's got some great points, I tend to lean toward the moderation side, figure out a pattern that provides me decent control and try to keep it in the lines. The longer I'm diabetic the more I think people are different, some people seem to have it together and others are going to be dead next week. Some have the last 10 years of blood sugar levels and insulin mapped out and graphed and are able to count carbs with precision and others test once a week and pray for the best. I don't feel like I'm on either end of the spectrum but most days I think I should be doing better.
Spork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 06:27 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 66852
Type I is 100% a genetic predisposition. Limiting carb input/exposure does not have any effect on Type I as it relates to having vs not having.

Type I, panceas does not make insulin and it cannot be prevented.

Type II, panceas makes insulin, but your body doesn't use it poperly, the pancreas goes into over-load trying to make extra insulin to compensate. Type II can be prevented or delayed with a healthy lifestyle, maintaining a healthy weight, eating propperly, and exercising.

Question for OP or people that are Type I, One thing that we have noticed is that many people with Type I we interact with had extremely high fevers just prior to diagnosis, did you also have this experience?

Lastly, one thing that I saw posted and it might be dismissed due to non-relavant info in the post but I will echo; consider a Gluten free/ reduced gluten diet. Celiac and Type I generally go hand in hand. I would attempt to get in front of it if you can.

I am sure your aware of this but

Joslin Diabetes Center
Education Affiliate at St. Mary's Medical Center
2900 First Ave.
Huntington, WV 25702
304-526-8363
Old 11-18-2016, 06:45 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 496097
That looks really cool. Going to show it to her tomorrow. I think she'd be interested, except it will interfere with her newest love...golf

Look at LPGA player Michelle McGann (diabetic)
fishbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 157355
I've dealt with and continue to deal with a kiddo with issues out of our control. I totally get the shock and feelings you are having. You don't have to like it but you do have to accept it and do your best.

Education, education, education. You should keep an eye on the cutting edge stuff and options. My wives uncle got a pancreas and was suddenly no longer diabetic (I don't know enough about the details to offer anything beyond that.)

It is and will always be her responsibility and under her control. Good habits and understanding now will help her for life.

The good news in that you know and can now guide her in managing the situation.

Last edited by Pokeman; 11-18-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 16993
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps4jeep View Post
Type I is 100% a genetic predisposition. Limiting carb input/exposure does not have any effect on Type I as it relates to having vs not having.

Type I, panceas does not make insulin and it cannot be prevented.

Type II, panceas makes insulin, but your body doesn't use it poperly, the pancreas goes into over-load trying to make extra insulin to compensate. Type II can be prevented or delayed with a healthy lifestyle, maintaining a healthy weight, eating propperly, and exercising.

Question for OP or people that are Type I, One thing that we have noticed is that many people with Type I we interact with had extremely high fevers just prior to diagnosis, did you also have this experience?

Lastly, one thing that I saw posted and it might be dismissed due to non-relavant info in the post but I will echo; consider a Gluten free/ reduced gluten diet. Celiac and Type I generally go hand in hand. I would attempt to get in front of it if you can.

I am sure your aware of this but

Joslin Diabetes Center
Education Affiliate at St. Mary's Medical Center
2900 First Ave.
Huntington, WV 25702
304-526-8363
No, no fever. Just extreme thirst and a bit less energy than normal.
No, I hadn't heard of that Center, but we have been told that our Neph is the best in the state. (She's not too hard to look at either. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
I've dealt with and continue to deal with a kiddo with issues out of our control. I totally get the shock and feelings you are having. You don't have to like it but you do have to accept it and do your best.

Education, education, education. You should keep an eye on the cutting edge stuff and options. My wives uncle got a pancreas and was suddenly no longer diabetic (I don't know enough about the details to offer anything beyond that.)

It is and will always be her responsibility and under her control. Good habits and understanding now will help her for life.

The good news in that you know and can now guide her in managing the situation.
I was wondering if a transplant is a possible fix. Hadn't had a chance to ask Doc yet though. Seems logical though. My suspicion is that the answer is the risks of rejection, etc. outweigh the possibility of it curing. But it's on my list of questions for our marathon appointment Tuesday morning. 4 hours of education coming at us then.

Last edited by GarScramb; 11-18-2016 at 08:01 AM.
GarScramb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 683281
as a T1 for a few years, I still do the finger pricks, insulin at meals and before bed. Not too bad.
But if my kid was diagnosed T1, I would look into a pump, cgm, xdrip/nightscout (monitor Bg while they are at school....)
fstfrd00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 42503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
... My wives uncle got a pancreas and was suddenly no longer diabetic (I don't know enough about the details to offer anything beyond that.)
My sister got a kidney/pancreas transplant about 5 years ago, basically traded insulin for anti-rejection drugs. Had some issues with one of them and round up breaking her ankle twice related to some calcium issue. Prior to the transplant she was on dialysis and that wasn't anything I'd want to do.
Spork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #37 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarScramb View Post
Sometimes Type 2 can be with diet and weight loss. Never type 1. Type 1 is your pancreas shutting down production of insulin. It's an autoimmune disease.
Usually it often gets found when the kid is passed out. You got lucky on this one.

Take care of that kiddo.

Last edited by Mo; 11-18-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 16993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Usually it often gets found when the kid is passed out. You got lucky on this one.

Take care of that kiddo.
Yes, the doc was surprised how good she looked when we went in to his office to get the results. He said he expected her to look very sick from her numbers.

She tried to go back to basketball practice tonight and it didn't go too well. Had a bad headache and had to sit out a lot. She's pretty bummed out right now. Hoping things improve soon....

Again, thanks to all of you for all of the info and encouragement.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 253146
One piece of advice I offer (if it hasn't been offered yet) is if you have to do BG testing (you should be for corrections and after /before meals)is the finger tips get sore very fast. Use the heel of the hand. More flesh there and not as painful. I have been type 1 for over 30 years and this is what I use. The finger sticks get old real fast, this will help. I test anywhere from 4 to 6 times a day.

Other than that, help her get a good routine going. That will help as well. Find smaller needles (if she has to do injections) I use a 4mm, 32 gauge needle on my penfills. Move the injection site around. She will build up scar tissue eventually, and the insulin wont work well.

Im truly sorry to hear that she has it. Diabetes sucks and I dont wish it on my worst enemy. It controllable, but yes, it changes your whole life, and you never get a break from it. I was the same way about food when I got it (I was 14). I loved eating and had to cut way back. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I will be glad to talk to you about it (not a professional or anything but I have had it a while).

Edit for reading a bit more....If you think transplant might be an option, it takes a while. Yes, there can be problems with the transplant, but check out the success rate of the hospital your thinking about using (Im currently going through Porters in Denver, but looking at going to University). I have been on the kidney/Pancreas list since 2010. I had to go on hold for a while because I lost my insurance, and started the process when I got re-insured. I never lost my place on the list and right now Im on top of the A+ list ( I have to quit chewing before they will do the surgery and find a secondary insurance). Its not a cure though. Organs will only last for so long (the bodys immune system attacks the organs, which is why they use the immune suppressing drugs)10-15 years is the norm.

Last edited by BLOODBANE; 11-18-2016 at 05:12 PM.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in