Death-kart opinions - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 188393
@dog walker can you please move this to chitchat
Old 05-05-2019, 08:58 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 151818
In!!!!
Had a lawnmower engine cart when I wS a kid!!!
Fk yea!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Obligatory shut up greg.

With that out of the way, I'd like to use the clutch lever as a clutch lever/ shifter. I plan to use the entire clip-on. Clutch cable with enough slack to move with the shifter, rod to the trans to shift. Trying to figure out a rod mount on the clip on.

I'm struggling to figure out what to clamp the clip on to so it can rotate around a pivot point. My first thought was uniball, but that seems to be the opposite of what I need. Considered oiled bronze bushing, but not sure if I can get one in the diameter I'd need, same thought with sealed rollers. I'll try to get some pics up soon.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Ordered $350 worth of rear axle stuff, waiting on that. Need to get my coilovers sold so I can get something better suited to a gokart. Stull waiting on my buddy to have some free time since I'd like to have it done by mid June.

Question about swing arms while I'm here. Since it's going to be chain drive, the pivot point of the swing arm needs to be even with the output of the trans, correct? I know the axle will have to remain within a certain distance through its range of travel to keep the chain from pulling tight, or going way to slack.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaymuddy View Post
the pivot point of the swing arm needs to be even with the output of the trans, correct?
No, it needs to be a little above center line. How much depends on what the angle of the swing arm is going to be at ride height.

In 4 link terms, this controls the amount of squat you have.
bdkw1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Started building the frame to mount the engine, revised twicee already and may need to be again. Trying to figure out where to get the rear tube placed for the rear motor mounts, while clearing the chain.

Planning to try and have the swingarm angled slightly down. Haven't had time to search any trailing arm builds. Flat at ride height seem like it would be the way to go, but trying to gain clearance under the engine without raising the engine way up may prevent that. Is there any reason I should mount the swingarm ahead of the trans output? Trying to get arm length without making the car stupid long.

I'm thinking I can use a uniball for the clutch/ shift lever. Plate one side with a hole for the bolt, weld a mount for the link age and hope for the best. Bad pic of bar mount
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2g5iaug][/IMG]

Anyone have an idea of how to mount these throttle cables? Current setup has a rod from the pedal to pull a cable. Trying to figure out how or what to mount to keep both bike cables and have it rotate them.
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2g5ivZk][/IMG]

Bad pic of version 2 of rear frame
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2g7GA4j][/IMG]

@Beat95YJ can you move this to chitchat? I thing @dog walker is dead...

Last edited by conwaymuddy; 06-04-2019 at 07:32 PM.
conwaymuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #57 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
I donít have the power, but Iíll ask around.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 3000
Connect the pedal to a shaft connect sleeve of the throttle to the shaft. The cables aren't going to be long enough so it would probably be simplier to just change it out to a single cable setup.

Swap out the steering wheel for handlebars?
Aron82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron82
Connect the pedal to a shaft connect sleeve of the throttle to the shaft. The cables aren't going to be long enough so it would probably be simplier to just change it out to a single cable setup.

Swap out the steering wheel for handlebars?
The rod that runs from the pedal ends shortly before the front of the motor, havent checked but the cables should reach. Trying to devise a pivot for the twisty throttle. I'm thinking bronze bushing and bolt.

Axle stuff has been showing up. Waiting on bearings, mounts, and a brake hub. Need to figure out a sprocket. Bike chain is 520 and I can only get a sprocket in 35.

Edit: thanks frank

Last edited by conwaymuddy; 06-05-2019 at 05:45 PM.
conwaymuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 03:01 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Have uniballs ordered for the swingarm and clutch lever / shifter.

Pic of skinny pedal and linkage for the old throttle cable
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2gb1NME][/IMG]

Revised frame, still need to make motor mounts, swingarm mounts and make sure the chain will clear. Also still wondering if I can mount the swingarm ahead of the trans output.
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2gb2o7M][/IMG]

Still needs tube repair and replacement and a fuel tank. And a hundred other things I'm running out of time for
Old 06-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Gearing question

Need to order a new sprocket for the axle. Did some math, but will have to confirm the drive cov on the 750. Gsxr axle sprocket is 47 tooth , stock drive cov is 17 tooth, tire is 24.8 diameter, comes out to 2.76 ratio. Cart tires ar 20 diameter, to make up for this I need to get up to 2.2x ratio. If the gsxr drive cov is 17 tooth I need a 38 tooth axle sprocket to be close.

Assuming the math is correct, I'm not sure where to be gear wise. I have no idea where the 750 makes power, I'm not looking to hit 200mph in this death trap, but I also dont want it to be a turd off the line. Any thoughts on a decent middle ground between tire melting, lawn roosting goodness and "it shakes at 170"?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Uniball parts showed up today. Plans to work on the kart today were cancelled again.

Been thinking about the new rear sprocket. Since the tire diameter is going down, wouldn't I need a larger sprocket to spin the kart tires at a similar speed compared to the gsxr? Math says I need smaller, but I'm good at being wrong.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 3000
You're probably going to be in the range of tire melting any way you gear it. the gsxr750 is no slouch, they will do at least 150.
Aron82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Ordered a custom rear sprocket today. Had to go from 47 to 60 tooth due to the decrease in tire dia.diameter. could have gone with a smaller rear gear if I swap out the gear on the transmission, I may in the future, just not in the budget right now.

As always plans to work on this keep getting canceled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in