Any stocks/funds out there paying decent dividends? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage, Inc. View Post
It is coming, and probably more. The world economic power can't tweet his way into global dominance. It requires trade agreements, handshakes, and savvy shit I don't know about.
But I sureasfuck know Trump knows nothing about it either, which makes the market dangerous.
Germany is pissed. (They carry the Euro, folks.)
China is pissed. (Buy any Chinese goods?)
Brexit is going down.

Hold on bonds until fuckstain is impeached/dead/homeless.
Or its because of QE #100 or whatever we are on and stock prices are way inflated.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 93772
Quote:
It is coming, and probably more. The world economic power can't tweet his way into global dominance. It requires trade agreements, handshakes, and savvy shit I don't know about.
But I sureasfuck know Trump knows nothing about it either, which makes the market dangerous.
Brexit is going down.

Quoting this so we can all laugh later.
bsdboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
Quote:
You were on point on the last 5 words.

Quote:
Trump is a billionaire builder / developer. If you want to get acquainted with local bureaucracy, try building something and watch the jackels come out of the wood pile. It took me 2 years to build a shop on my property from all the bureaucracy. I had to interact with 15 overlapping agencies and now well acquainted with the bullshit. Trump has built multiple high rises and hotels in many different countries, and having listened to him speak on this subject, I am positive he is well-acquainted with the bullshit as well.

Quote:
The Euro is staring off a cliff. If Germany doesn't keep Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy afloat they stand for those countries backing out of the Eurozone - which would cause a sell off of Euros which would drop the Euros relative value by huge amounts (some claim it could get to under $0.50). That would be good for the dollar.

Quote:
China is teetering on a depression. You can tell by how much steel and raw materials they are dumping into the market. A simple YouTube search would show you all of the coal, iron and finished steel stockpiling in Chinese factories because of the slow down. China is walking a tightrope right now between mass layoffs or hyperinflation. I can tell this because of all the Chinese millionaires buying property in the Bay Area with cash to hedge against the inflation.

Quote:
Brexit is going down.
Brexit happened already dude.

Quote:
You realize a low interest long-term bond decreases in value when interest rates rise. The Fed has already announced interest rates will rise. Other world currencies are expected to fall relative to the dollar.

The dollar is already rising in value. As oil production ramps up, and corporations repatriate their money, expect additional gains in dollar value and bond yields. Government spending is expected to fall. All of these erode the present value of bonds you bought. No wonder you're a Democrat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FordFascist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 98578
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
Googled that, came up with nothing
You obviously didn't.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Vanguard+index+fund

Last edited by TJGreg5; 01-17-2017 at 09:06 PM.
TJGreg5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGreg5 View Post
You obviously didn't.

LMGTFY
type in "BP stock" or "DNP stock" or "F stock"
get results

type in that, get
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/index-funds
I don't know how to work this, do I have to start another account with them? Will they send me the balance of the funds after I secure a wire transfer from the central bank of nigeria with only a $500 deposit?

Last edited by [486]; 01-17-2017 at 09:20 PM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 98578
Quote:
type in "BP stock" or "DNP stock" or "F stock"
get results

type in that, get
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/index-funds
I don't know how to work this, do I have to start another account with them? Will they send me the balance of the funds after I secure a wire transfer from the central bank of nigeria with only a $500 deposit?
It's no more difficult than starting an E-trade or similar account. Sign up with them, link your bank account, deposit money, make money.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 7287
Quote:
and ford which pays around 4%
How's your Ford 4%? My Ford hasn't done jack shit since I bought it and I'm sitting at -21.88% since I bought in. Complete was of time and money, like any and every stock I've ever attempted to play with, smh... The only thing doing OK is VFINX (Vanguard index), which is at a whopping 3.08%.

I suck at the investing, I bought GM when it was really low, thinking it HAD to go up and they folded
Old 01-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 98713
Who do you guys use to purchase stocks?
Has anyone used the robinhood app?
SLC97SR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
Realty Income (stock symbol 'O') pays dividends monthly, and have always been pretty solid.
I've done decent by this one too. Also the iShares Divident ETF symbol DVY.

Last edited by 91Toyota4x4; 01-18-2017 at 09:21 AM.
91Toyota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 8227
Vanguard has a bunch of index funds, he needs to tell you which one. I whole-heateredly agree with the Vanguard way. Rock-bottom fees, very low turnover (very important in a taxable account).

You can buy the total US stock market index, the S&P500 index, short term bond index, etc. Go to Vanguard and read-up. The low fees and the low taxes you pay on the fund distributions are what allows you to keep more of your money. Don't get fooled by funds advertising big returns, only to be taken back by high fees and taxes, underperforming their benchmark.
J-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welby View Post
How's your Ford 4%? My Ford hasn't done jack shit since I bought it and I'm sitting at -21.88% since I bought in. Complete was of time and money, like any and every stock I've ever attempted to play with, smh... The only thing doing OK is VFINX (Vanguard index), which is at a whopping 3.08%.

I suck at the investing, I bought GM when it was really low, thinking it HAD to go up and they folded
I sold my Ford a while ago. I made the same mistake about GM and I SHOULD have been spreading it over Ford and GM. It was like $2 a share and if I'd have put half into GM and half into F I'd probably be sitting nice right now.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welby View Post

I've got like 130 shares, all bought with the dividend reinvestment, so they got bought with no regard to where the price had been. the "total gain/loss" column says -202 so that's down like 10% from what I paid

dunno, I look at the dividends, not the market price
not trying to be johnny on-the-spot buying and selling shit daily
Old 01-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 171786
Kimberly Clark, ConAgra and General Electric have been good stable stocks but I don't think the return is that great. Hershey is a pretty good stock too.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
Sin52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 14221
Send a message via AIM to ABQ-TJ Send a message via Yahoo to ABQ-TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslander View Post
Altria, phillip morris, income reality group, CAT.
Altria has made my father a shit-ton of cash over the past decade.

Between that and one other he has a lot of dividends coming every 3 months.

ABQ-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
just looked at the numbers and I've got 39500 in, and the "total worth" says 42000 or so, despite all of the gain loss things saying I've lost from $200 to $1200 on each different stock I bought when it was high.
The dividends paid still absorbed that difference and paid out more over the 2 years I've had money in there. Better than any savings account I've seen.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-TJ View Post
Altria has made my father a shit-ton of cash over the past decade.

Between that and one other he has a lot of dividends coming every 3 months.
Yea i love that stock, i bought a ton in dec of 2008 when it was between 12 and 14 bucks a share!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #42 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:

Thats what burns people right there, they focus on day to day moves and freak out. Unless you can devote all day to it, tradeing will burn you. You make money going long, my tesla is all over the goddamn map, but im long on that one. I have sold it twice in 4 yrs and rebought it both times and made money on the deal.

Invest in companies with little competition, established, and provide stuff people need, dividend is the bonus. Yea its the boring way of doing things, but looking 5yrs and going long, and investing not tradeing, is how you make money long term.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 159257
CBIS. Penny stock. I bought around 5 cents a share and it's at 11 cents today. I wish I had the balls to have sold my VW and put it all into this stock. It's up 10% today. Penny stocks have HUGE % swings but it can make a lot of money fast. With $31 invested I have made $11.31.

EDIT: Cannabis Science, Inc. (CBIS) closed up over 17% on Wednesday trading over 118 Million shares by the market close.
From a news article published today.

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 01-19-2017 at 08:39 AM.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Went against all sense and reason, sold the BP I had and bought ETP this morning, hopefully it works out. Jumped up quite a bit yesterday alone.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 19077
VFINX FTMFW

GE, TM, LMT pay good dividends.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 613514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Volume View Post
VFINX FTMFW

GE, TM, LMT pay good dividends.
Also take a look at T for good dividends.

If you like VFINX check out VIIIX as well.
Apodyopsis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
I've got VFIIX and VWO...dividends have been alright for both, price for VFIIX never really moves that much (so far this year it's moved about +/- $0.20), VWO is an international one and is up quite a bit YTD.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in