King of the Hammers 2017 - Page 22 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #526 (permalink)

Member # 110248
Alright. I'll catch up on this during the awards tomorrow if they stream it.
I pretty much watched from the stream turning on before the race to turning off a few minutes ago.
djljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 05:55 AM   #527 (permalink)

Member # 686594
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEER TICK View Post
You are supposed to get your sticker.Fawk letting it slide.Rules are rules. I hope Dave makes th right call.
So it's a sicker collecting event?
01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #528 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46168
Just be glad it isn't Erzberg hard enduro rules, you miss a check there and you are dq'd.

'00 Excursion - cummins/nv4500, 05+ coil suspension/dana 60
'54 International R112
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #529 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 24238
I think we just got to see what this race looks like without the logjams, and it's a hell of a lot more fun.

Some of it has got to be luck but I'd love to know what might have been adjusted with recovery crews or what to keep things like where Tom broke from being minor disasters as in years past.

If they all ran like this, it'd be a miracle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5, Legends #571, UTV codog #901
koh19 crew: 4632
koh18 codog: 901, 4816 - crew: 928, 209, 4610
Mint17 pit crew: 4454, 946, 8199
koh16 codog: 2700 - crew: 572, 928, 4610
koh15 crew: 572

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Mr. Mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #530 (permalink)

Member # 110248
From Memes of KOH

Old 02-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #531 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 View Post
No, it is a trail mile collecting event. The stickers just help keep everyone on the same track. They are also a redundant score keeping system in case the GPS recorded race track gets corrupted in a car.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #532 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mindless View Post
I think we just got to see what this race looks like without the logjams, and it's a hell of a lot more fun.

Some of it has got to be luck but I'd love to know what might have been adjusted with recovery crews or what to keep things like where Tom broke from being minor disasters as in years past.

If they all ran like this, it'd be a miracle.
Based on the number of years of experience it has taken to get it this far, you can tell just how difficult it is logistically to lay out a course that hits all the key points of difficulty and then not cause a mess when someone breaks and becomes a trail plug.

Dave and crew did a masterful job with that this year.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #533 (permalink)
The dude abides

Member # 114517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEER TICK View Post
You are supposed to get your sticker.Fawk letting it slide.Rules are rules. I hope Dave makes th right call.
Are you serious? It's a world renowned race,with rules. Rules are,you get all your check point stickers.
DEER TICK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #534 (permalink)

Member # 110248
From a friend who has a media pass:

"Loren Healy had an electric fire. two sides to Tom Wayes and Shannon Campbell on Spooners. expect it to play out on Internet."

As for the 50 finishers thing - Is that because more people who are better equipped are racing vs years ago? or because of the course layout, which seems like other than backdoor should have been harder with the addition of Full of Hate ect.? (regretfully I've never wheeled there, so I am speculating - this is really a question for blaine or Kurt - (although I am determined to someday soon)

Maybe add a 4th lap out to RP1 and back to get some more go fast into the finish? Or will that just hand the race to an IFS car?

Last edited by djljeep; 02-11-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #535 (permalink)

Member # 229476
how difficult was the check point to find? Did many other drivers miss it?
Old 02-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #536 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by djljeep View Post
From a friend who has a media pass:

"Loren Healy had an electric fire. two sides to Tom Wayes and Shannon Campbell on Spooners. expect it to play out on Internet."

As for the 50 finishers thing - Is that because more people who are better equipped are racing vs years ago? or because of the course layout, which seems like other than backdoor should have been harder with the addition of Full of Hate ect.? (regretfully I've never wheeled there, so I am speculating - this is really a question for blaine or Kurt - (although I am determined to someday soon)
Hard to say but I believe there is some merit to keeping the race moving. Consider the past log jams and some have come with the leaders running into lapped racers. If you are the leader who has built up a good lead on someone who started behind you and you need to maintain that to win, it sucks to have traffic change that and let the guy you put 5 minutes on catch up and ride your bumper across the finish line for the win.

The only way to get that back is to drive a lot harder than you might have if you still had the 5 minute cushion. Driving differently due to frustration may take out your car. Most racers have no problem with their mistakes making them lose, most are not happy about the mistakes or lack of car or skill from other racers taking them out.

Hard to speculate on what effect FOH had. It's a very short trail with a decent level of difficulty when run up. The biggest difficulty is the upper flat (as in two track road) section just because of how soft and steep it is. Running it down like they did makes that go away. I've not run the lower section downhill so it's hard to say but I don't recall any sections that would be terrifying in a race like the lower section of BD where you have to nail the line or get out the winch.

Had the course run up FOH, entirely different story and early in the race it would look like Jack in years past.

Quote:
Maybe add a 4th lap out to RP1 and back to get some more go fast into the finish? Or will that just hand the race to an IFS car?
If he wants to cut down on the number of finishers, he'll just run more trails up. At what point during the race that happens will be interesting to figure out. There are few log jams going down trails.

Dave is in a no win situation and if it wasn't for his prediction of how many would finish, I think everyone would be pretty happy with the results. It was a well run race with massive difficulty that balanced the event between go fast and rock crawlers pretty well.

How do you set it up to get a higher attrition rate and keep it moving without favoring go fast or rocks? Not a job I would want.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #537 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
how difficult was the check point to find? Did many other drivers miss it?
The check points are on course, they are marked with cones and tape and the dead giveaway is the two course workers waving shit at you to stop.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #538 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The check points are on course, they are marked with cones and tape and the dead giveaway is the two course workers waving shit at you to stop.
sounds like a penalty should be in order then. If it were difficult to find, and lots of people missed it, I could see letting everyone who missed it slide.

at least from my position here at home.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #539 (permalink)

Member # 98652
Where is the awards stream?

mikeb273 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #540 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
I don't think that there is anything wrong with having 50 people finish. It's more exciting to see finishers than broken down or stuck cars. If the point was just to see carnage it would be a hell of a lot easier to hold a demolition derby.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #541 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 33543
Our Race Recap from Friday's Race

Follow us on Facebook -

Off Road Parts and Accessories-

[B]
RockTacoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #542 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990GT50 View Post
More details? How would you miss one sticker? Does the GPS over-ride the stickers?
The last sticker is put on after you go through the finish line arch and then do a 180 turn to the left to come back the same way outside of the start line lanes to head up towards the stage.

Yesterday on the live coverage, you could see the two course workers waving at all the finishers to come and get their last sticker.

Of course, I'm sure the sticker is trumped by the keychain and Nicole's presentation thereof.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #543 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 24238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gagnon View Post
I don't think that there is anything wrong with having 50 people finish. It's more exciting to see finishers than broken down or stuck cars. If the point was just to see carnage it would be a hell of a lot easier to hold a demolition derby.
Right on.

I think this is a perfect balance, and Dave should probably just ignore that he'd predicted 20 finishers. I don't think I'd even mind seeing the same course next year. It certainly wasn't too easy by any stretch. It was just a wee bet less impossible.

#5, Legends #571, UTV codog #901
koh19 crew: 4632
koh18 codog: 901, 4816 - crew: 928, 209, 4610
Mint17 pit crew: 4454, 946, 8199
koh16 codog: 2700 - crew: 572, 928, 4610
koh15 crew: 572

|
|
|
Mr. Mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #544 (permalink)

Member # 110248
You could see the Chocolate thunder checkpoint during coverage as well. Same deal. stop signs and arm waving.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #545 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
I guess they aren't broadcasting the awards ceremony. That's disappointing.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #546 (permalink)

Member # 98652
This sure seems like the official results...

https://ultra4racing.com/2017-nitto-...teries-results

And there havent been any time adjustments in the top 3.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #547 (permalink)

Member # 98652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gagnon View Post
I guess they aren't broadcasting the awards ceremony. That's disappointing.
Yeah...i was planning on watch also.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #548 (permalink)

Member # 102813
So what is the deal with the Spooners talk? Someone upset about others taking sketchy lines around them??

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #549 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by djljeep View Post
You could see the Chocolate thunder checkpoint during coverage as well. Same deal. stop signs and arm waving.
There was also one on the live coverage going into the first remote pit although it was a bit further out from the camera and not as defined as to what was going on.

The other thing we don't know yet is what order the letters are placed on the big sticker. It would not be out of the question for Dave to mix them up to keep folks guessing. It also would not be out of the question for a letter sticker to blow off if it had some power steering fluid under it.

The course workers have about 3 seconds to place the sticker or the racers get grumpy over how long they are stopped.

Dave will figure it out, he always does.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #550 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
So what is the deal with the Spooners talk? Someone upset about others taking sketchy lines around them??
Tom was winching and Shannon ran over his rope? Someone posted that earlier.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in