Starter solenoid stuck or equipment mechanics step on in - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 684914
Starter solenoid stuck or equipment mechanics step on in

The culprit is a 1980-something John Deere 210c backhoe. The starter took a dump a few weeks back so finally got around to putting a new one in. 1 hour to get it out, 1 to get it in, and of course while laying in the snow (fuckers designed so the only way to get at the bolts is with a crows foot or stubby wrench turning 0.02 degrees at a time). Come to find out the solenoid on the new starters dead on arrival because why would I think of bench testing the no-name part bought from Amazon for ~1/6 the price of OEM.

okay no problem, yank the somewhat new solenoid off the dead starter, disconnect everything on the new one and go to remove. Only catch is is that the new solenoid won't come out, it feels like the plunger is attached to the throw out rod in the starter. It's all loose and flopping in the breeze, but there's some kind of connection I'm missing. Any tips to get this fucker off?
D Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 125442
Are you sure that the solenoid is bad? Did you check to make sure you are getting voltage to the switch terminal? Is it just clicking, or not doing anything at all? More than likely it is a Delco 28mt starter and some versions of this unit use a dummy terminal on the right side of the solenoid and the connecting the switch wire to this terminal will result in a no crank situation. If the solenoid is faulty,it has a built in plunger assy and is some what difficult to change on the piece of equipment even if you a good bit of room to maneuver.hope this helps
jakeman67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 684914
When i put the switch wire on I just matched it to the one I took it off of. Come to think of it i would say it's to the right (assuming the 'top' is the large terminal with +12v coming into it) I'll try running the wire to the other terminal tomorrow, hopefully this is just a case of me being a
Old 02-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 125442
Good luck
jakeman67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 194174
Technically, since it's an 80s unit, it could be a 37,40,41, or 42mt, I dont know what you bought for it, but if you got the 28mt replacement, it will be a pin style plunger, and they are very difficult to remove with the motor still on it. If it is one of the other units I mentioned it will more than likely be what they call a solid link solenoid, which is connected from front to back and the only way to remove it will be to take out the plug in front of the housing and use a 1/2 inch deep socket to remove the nut. Also consider the fact these come in a few configurations, some will have your switch terminal on the left, some on the right, some will have a grounded base, some insulated.
vzack36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 684914
So I put the ignition signal wire on the wrong post. Oh well, no harm no foul
Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Nelly View Post
So I put the ignition signal wire on the wrong post. Oh well, no harm no foul
Always look first for man made problems
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in