Any Toyota gurus? Steering Q - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80349
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,299
Any Toyota gurus? Steering Q

Got lots of slop in the rack of my 99 4runner limited. The shafts move up and down a good bit. I attempted to replace the rack guide but it's not cooperating. We are supposed to torque the "nut" to 18 ft lbs and then back off 19 degrees. Problem is I hit 18 ft lbs before the nut is barely threaded in and there still a ton of slop. I have to tighten it till only 2 or 3 threads are showing before the slop is gone and that is way past 18 ft lbs.

I must be doing something wrong or my rack is fubar.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Member # 3132
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Posts: 12,624
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
Your part identifications suck. What shafts move up and down? What rack guides?

You have the rack and pinion. Rack and pinion bushings, inner tie rod ends, outer tie rod ends. They are know for provlems with inner tie rod ends and rack and pinion bushing issues.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80349
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLES View Post
Your part identifications suck. What shafts move up and down? What rack guides?

You have the rack and pinion. Rack and pinion bushings, inner tie rod ends, outer tie rod ends. They are know for provlems with inner tie rod ends and rack and pinion bushing issues.
Toyota Part numbers:

End sub-assembly, steering rack no. 2/ Guide sub/assembly
45504-35031-
Spring(for steering rack guide)/Spring, compression
90501-26074-
cap, Steering rack guide spring/ Cap, rack guide spring
45524-37010-
Nut(for steering rack guide spring cap/ nut
90179-48003-

The steering arm or ram that the inner tie rod attaches to is what's moving up and down causing a whole lot of funky steering behavior. The parts I ordered are for the steering rack guide, which for my year is a roller type bearing that is worn out (roller has too much play in it).

Last edited by muddeprived; 03-09-2017 at 07:21 PM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member # 156657
Location: UPSTATE ,N.Y.
Posts: 938
Sounds like the whole rack has seen its day. Has it leaked fluid out the ends by inner tre?
cryptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
daddytall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member # 74936
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,588
Try the Chevy section, some of those guys know all about Toyota's
__________________
Cancer really sucks.
My daughter kicked ass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I miss my Kayla.
daddytall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80349
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic toy View Post
Sounds like the whole rack has seen its day. Has it leaked fluid out the ends by inner tre?
There was a little bit in the boot and reservoir level is normal.

Hard to believe it's shot cuz I got this from old folks who babied it from day one. It only saw highway and local pavement it's entire life.


My luck sucks though......

Last edited by muddeprived; 03-09-2017 at 07:49 PM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Member # 3132
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Posts: 12,624
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
Toyota Part numbers:

End sub-assembly, steering rack no. 2/ Guide sub/assembly
45504-35031-
Spring(for steering rack guide)/Spring, compression
90501-26074-
cap, Steering rack guide spring/ Cap, rack guide spring
45524-37010-
Nut(for steering rack guide spring cap/ nut
90179-48003-

The steering arm or ram that the inner tie rod attaches to is what's moving up and down causing a whole lot of funky steering behavior. The parts I ordered are for the steering rack guide, which for my year is a roller type bearing that is worn out (roller has too much play in it).
You should replace the whole rack then unless you are in the business of rack and pinion rebuilding. I would have turned it in as a core the minute i saw fluid at the inner tie rod boot.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
BossBuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Member # 1760
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 7,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddytall View Post
Try the Chevy section, some of those guys know all about Toyota's
BossBuilt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Extended Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 69765
Location: Somewhere over DFW, TX
Posts: 7,866
Replace the rack. You can't fix it. Remanded ones aren't too expensive. I did this on my 96 4Runner like 10 years ago. Then sold it because it was a 4runer....
__________________
~ Kyle
2003 Montero
2006 Montero
Follow my adventures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
ADD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Member # 22080
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 5,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_T View Post
Replace the rack. You can't fix it. Remanded ones aren't too expensive. I did this on my 96 4Runner like 10 years ago. Then sold it because it was a 4runer....
And looks to have bought not one but 2 monteros.......yeah good choice
__________________
Got custom cab?
ADD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Member # 88698
Location: Long beach
Posts: 1,993
Are you using the roller guide or the solid guid?
LBHSBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 02:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Extended Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 69765
Location: Somewhere over DFW, TX
Posts: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
And looks to have bought not one but 2 monteros.......yeah good choice

Yep. And I don't regret dumping my 4Runner or rovers....


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
__________________
~ Kyle
2003 Montero
2006 Montero
Follow my adventures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 05:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
DMG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 8145
Location: the Iron City
Posts: 14,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_T View Post
Yep. And I don't regret dumping my 4Runner or rovers....


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Replace the rack. They aren't that expensive. You got eurothane rack bushings, too, right?

Also, don't be a tard like this guy and buy a Mitsubishi.

Last edited by DMG; 03-10-2017 at 05:00 AM.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80349
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBHSBZ View Post
Are you using the roller guide or the solid guid?
My original roller guide had a bit of up and down play in it so I'm using a solid guide since that was what is recommended to replace it with.

Quote:
Replace the rack. They aren't that expensive.
The cheapest Toyota rack I could find was $650 on Egay. Dealers want $800+.

I don't trust remans.

I was hoping this would fix it for now so I could spend my cash on other goodies but looks like I'm gonna have to get a rack.

Last edited by muddeprived; 03-10-2017 at 06:16 AM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 3007
Location: Cedar Rapids, Ia
Posts: 24,605
You don't trust reman, but you are trying to reman it yourself......and failing
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80349
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
You don't trust reman, but you are trying to reman it yourself......and failing
Doesn't hurt to try the simple fix. It either works or it doesn't and I'm not losing any $$ on it.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 3007
Location: Cedar Rapids, Ia
Posts: 24,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
Doesn't hurt to try the simple fix. It either works or it doesn't and I'm not losing any $$ on it.
Yeah you are, your money in parts that are not working and your time. You have shitty luck because you make shitty decisions.

Looks like $220-430 would get you a complete rack assembly, bolt in and go. 1999 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 3.4L V6 Rack and Pinion Complete Unit | RockAuto
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Member # 729641
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
My original roller guide had a bit of up and down play in it so I'm using a solid guide since that was what is recommended to replace it with.



The cheapest Toyota rack I could find was $650 on Egay. Dealers want $800+.

I don't trust remans.

I was hoping this would fix it for now so I could spend my cash on other goodies but looks like I'm gonna have to get a rack.

I've never been impressed with vatozone and similar junk. A dealer rack is hard to swallow but you'll only cry once.

Babied lol probably never went past half its stroke, then you come along and actually use all or most , I'm not talking about yanking on the wheel holding it to lock as the belt is squealing. Pull the egr and check it for build up pcv is probably gross also.

Last edited by Cn'tafordit; 03-10-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Cn'tafordit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80349
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Yeah you are, your money in parts that are not working and your time. You have shitty luck because you make shitty decisions.

Looks like $220-430 would get you a complete rack assembly, bolt in and go. 1999 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 3.4L V6 Rack and Pinion Complete Unit | RockAuto
I fail to see the shitty decision.

I don't think I'm the only one who tries to fix something before tossing it out.

The parts were free. I have some credit at NC dealership from an overcharge and it took abt 20 minutes to install. This is a pretty common fix for a loose rack (besides a tighter bra) from what I've read on the yota forums.

Thanks for the link but I saw that earlier. I don't want to deal with tearing it out a 2nd time when the reman craps out like they usually do. I'm gonna go with a new Toyota rack. Just found one for $502.

My tax $$ came and went in record time this year....
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 3007
Location: Cedar Rapids, Ia
Posts: 24,605
So you are a broke ass, tried to fix it, failed and now have a tax return "windfall" and are going to get a new rack.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80349
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cn'tafordit View Post
I've never been impressed with vatozone and similar junk. A dealer rack is hard to swallow but you'll only cry once.

Babied lol probably never went past half its stroke, then you come along and actually use all or most , I'm not talking about yanking on the wheel holding it to lock as the belt is squealing. Pull the egr and check it for build up pcv is probably gross also.
Well I do have a shitty ass bouncy road and f-ed up driveway.....
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80349
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
So you are a broke ass, tried to fix it, failed and now have a tax return "windfall" and are going to get a new rack.
Broke? Not exactly. I refrain from spending massive amounts of paper as much as possible to avoid the woman giving me that lecture.

My tax $$ is my toy/play money so it can be spent freely. I was just hoping to get a winch and some sliders.

Last edited by muddeprived; 03-10-2017 at 07:36 AM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Member # 729641
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
Broke? Not exactly. I refrain from spending massive amounts of paper as much as possible to avoid the woman giving me that lecture.

My tax $$ is my toy/play money so it can be spent freely. I was just hoping to get a winch and some sliders.
Cut the Feds from your free year long loan, I'm sure you can figure out how to invest it better.
Cn'tafordit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #24 (permalink)
Extended Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 69765
Location: Somewhere over DFW, TX
Posts: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
Replace the rack. They aren't that expensive. You got eurothane rack bushings, too, right?

Also, don't be a tard like this guy and buy a Mitsubishi.

So much hate or jealousy. This isn't some Dsm pos


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
__________________
~ Kyle
2003 Montero
2006 Montero
Follow my adventures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Member # 226216
Location: Lewis County, Washington
Posts: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cn'tafordit View Post
Cut the Feds from your free year long loan, I'm sure you can figure out how to invest it better.


This^^^^. And pay a bit in the end. But use your money and or just put it in the bank and make a few bucks interest on it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.