Wrenching screw ups? Share your stories. - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
you retarded?
section of vacuum hose on the bleeder into a soda bottle
pump the pedal
done
been doing this for over ten years and it astonishes me so few people know this trick, i how ever use a plastic water bottle with a hole drilled in the cap because im fancy
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
still needs two people, the fluid in the bottom of the soda bottle acts as the check valve
all you have to do is route the hose up and gravity does it for you with the fluid inside the vacuum line
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #128 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 210244
Back in the day when mobile phones were car phones and needed a car to work, I was installing a phone in my service truck, a '97 F350. I found a nice spot for the guts behind the passenger side kick panel. Hooked up power to a wire I found in the harness that was hot with the key off, soldered and heat shrunk, mount the handset, run the wires under the floor mat, and mount the antenna, and pat my self on the back for how nice everything looks. Call the office to make sure it's working, put my tools away and head to lunch. Driving down the road and realize the powers off. Shit. head back to the shop, grab my meter and head out to the truck to see what's wrong and the phone is on. WTF? Pull the kick panel and find a had pulled power from the dome light wire.

My Diesel Sport Trac Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
69DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 328810
Was replacing the outer driver tie rod end on my 01 2wd 7.3. Jacked it up by the left I-Beam and pulled off the driver tire. Turns out I didnt have the jack all the way under the I-Beam. It slipped off and the inner driver tie rod landed on the jack.

And that's how I went from replacing one tie rod end, to replacing all of them.
JKTweak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #130 (permalink)
3d Artist for Hire!

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
Entropy's story and a few other similars remind me of the first time I ever did anything brake related on my truck. Got it all done, got the tires back on, and was letting the truck back down with the jack. My driveway has a decent slope to it, and I forgot to reapply the parking brake, and had left the transmission in neutral.

I dove in through the passenger side and slammed the brake pedal with my hand and held it until I got it back in 1st, which was enough to hold it from rolling back any further and out into the street.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 43837
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69DieselLover View Post
Back in the day when mobile phones were car phones and needed a car to work, I was installing a phone in my service truck, a '97 F350. I found a nice spot for the guts behind the passenger side kick panel. Hooked up power to a wire I found in the harness that was hot with the key off, soldered and heat shrunk, mount the handset, run the wires under the floor mat, and mount the antenna, and pat my self on the back for how nice everything looks. Call the office to make sure it's working, put my tools away and head to lunch. Driving down the road and realize the powers off. Shit. head back to the shop, grab my meter and head out to the truck to see what's wrong and the phone is on. WTF? Pull the kick panel and find a had pulled power from the dome light wire.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:39 AM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 44979
Doing an engine swap on my 72 Scout, Got it in went to fire it up, nothing. Had gas no spark. Started replacing ignition parts still nothing. thought maybe it was the ignition switch replaced that and most of the harness from the column down and under the hood. About two weeks and a few hundred bucks later I was standing there staring at it stumped and thought, shit ,there's no ground from the motor to the frame. Put one on and it fired right up.
bassdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 01:19 AM   #133 (permalink)
E. Spengler

Member # 206384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblack6527 View Post
I built a SBC 350 in high school, it ran for a year or so, and I decided to swap to 1.6 rockers.
Dropped a rocker nut straight down the oil drain hole in the head. After much deliberation, and finally realizing I needed to drive the truck that night, and I didn't have an extra nut I pulled the pan and got it out.

A few months later, I put a different set of heads on the engine, and did the same damn thing, except the nut went down the distributor hole.
Same deal, pull the pan, which sucks with the motor in the truck.

I now make sure to cover all openings when I'm working inside an engine.
Just be sure to uncover them too.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:42 AM   #134 (permalink)
Dunes & Forest

Member # 142612
Quote:
you retarded?
pump the pedal
done
you might want to dip the vacuum hose in some brake fluid before pumping
Old 03-15-2017, 03:51 AM   #135 (permalink)
Dunes & Forest

Member # 142612
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69DieselLover View Post
Open the door while driving to make a phone call.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 AM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 729641
Quote:
you retarded?
pump the pedal
done
Slightly.
Cn'tafordit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cn'tafordit View Post
Your Location. Do do dee do dah lala

His location, probably would have snapped the studs off the booster or twisted what was left of the flare nut off. Snapped bleeders etc. few want to tear out all the garbage just the key component is what it is.
this.

anytime I plan on cracking a brake system open that hasn't been serviced I just plan on broken bleeders leading to new calipers/wheel cylinders leading to new brake lines.

brakes in the rust belt are just terrible fucking things to work on.

oh, and the motive power bleeder is the best $50 tool ever purchased.
and the euro cap fits Jeep clutch masters.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:16 AM   #138 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLES View Post
I put a finger over the bleed screw as someone pumps the peddle, acts like a one way check valve.
Only if you don't screw it out too far or you wrap the threads with Teflon tape otherwise you get air back in around the threads.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #139 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
still needs two people, the fluid in the bottom of the soda bottle acts as the check valve
No it doesn't. Put a section of clear hose on sometime and watch it. Have someone do a pedal pump and you'll see exactly what happens. Unless the hose is small enough that capillary action will hold the fluid, it will drain out of the hose and air bubbles collect at the top next to the bleed screw.

The only reason you use a bottle is to contain the mess, period. You can also check the exact same thing with a glass of water and a straw. Put the straw in, put your finger over the end, pick up straw, watch the water run out.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 69819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
Just be sure to uncover them too.

This is VERY important advice

I got my 1st mustang when i was 20. It had a nice GT40 intake. I bought some heads and a cam, and commenced an all-night wrench-fest on a Saturday. I got the new heads on, and went ahead and bolted the lower intake on so that nothing could get dropped into the lifter valley. I plugged the holes in the lower intake with paper towels so that they were safe from falling bolts too. Around 4am, I finally fired it up. Damn thing was spitting and bucking like crazy. I gave it a good rev, and my buddy started yelling to shut it off. He's laughing his ass off, kicking shreds of paper towels across the shop floor that had blown out of the exhaust. I pulled the upper intake back off and fished out what I could. The rest burned off over an hour or so

[QUOTE=IEATRKS84;26658266]A lap dance is so much better when the stripper is crying[/QUOTE]

Last edited by dr hook; 03-15-2017 at 08:34 AM.
dr hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Only if you don't screw it out too far or you wrap the threads with Teflon tape otherwise you get air back in around the threads.
Not too much air will pass through the threads. And the time to pick the wrench up to tighten is all you need to allow what did go in to gravity bleed out.

Problem with the hose in a bottle with brake fluid, is there is your chance to draw the bad fluid back into whatever part you are bleeding (old hydrated fluid, dirty, contaminated). This is the educated auto technician speaking.

And when trying to crack that bleeder screw open, before you even touch it with a wrench, give it a good tap with the ball pien, hitting it farther into the wheel cylinder or caliper. This is your one chance to get it to brake loose. If this does not work replace the part. Most shops will replace them anyways if they look too rusty and the piston boots are crunchy. Not all of us are broke dicks.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #142 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 175047
just yesterday, doing a trans swap on a front drive car, my new tech asked for an extra hand holding the lower a-arm down to pop the ball joint back in. so i run the pry bar and the ball joint goes back in. I walk around to the other side to repeat and ask where he had put the cv shaft for this side, from the other side I hear him say "oh shit". had to pull the first side back off to put that cv in also! Good kid, sharp as a tack, we all forget things!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #143 (permalink)
Dunes & Forest

Member # 142612
Quote:
No it doesn't. Put a section of clear hose on sometime and watch it. Have someone do a pedal pump and you'll see exactly what happens. Unless the hose is small enough that capillary action will hold the fluid, it will drain out of the hose and air bubbles collect at the top next to the bleed screw.

The only reason you use a bottle is to contain the mess, period. You can also check the exact same thing with a glass of water and a straw. Put the straw in, put your finger over the end, pick up straw, watch the water run out.
It actually works if you pump a can of brake fluid down the system....
If the end of the hose is sumbmerged in the fluid, the fluid won't drain out because air can't go in. Of course if at some point you lift the hose out of the fluid you're good to start all over again.
When the brake pedal travels up, a part of the expelled fluid/air mixture goes back in from the bottle, but also a part of fluid from the master reservoir goes past the cylinder seal. After some pumping the air that goes back in the slave is less than the fluid that goes past the seal, you get to bleed it one way or the other.

Last edited by fantic238; 03-15-2017 at 11:25 AM.
fantic238 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Did a top end on my 22re. Got it all buttoned back up and fuck...I didn't recognize the one left over bolt. Short fat thing with a nylon washer.
I actually posted on a local board asking for help before realizing it's the oil drain plug.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 192237
^ fantic's incomprehensible explanation reminds me, good trick I learned looking at a "self filling" dog bowl

drop a bottle of brake fluid upside down into the master cylinder's reservoir
as the fluid level goes below the opening of the bottle it'll glug out another little bit
makes pushing through 2qt of fluid for a flush nice and quick
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
been doing this for over ten years and it astonishes me so few people know this trick, i how ever use a plastic water bottle with a hole drilled in the cap because im fancy
I've got a hole punched in sthe side to hold the hose, and another hole punched for a wire coat hanger hook, to hook it on a caliper bracket or wheel stud

in an old scuzzy mt dew bottle
classy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
all you have to do is route the hose up and gravity does it for you with the fluid inside the vacuum line
Huh, never thought of it that way.
I'd rather not imagine the rust that would make for above and beyond what we already get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic238 View Post
you might want to dip the vacuum hose in some brake fluid before pumping
see below
Quote:

dunno, I used to be careful draining out my bleeder bottle to leave a little bit in there to act as the check valve, but haven't really paid attention the last hundred times.
you might get a little air back in the WC or caliper on the first couple pumps, but it doesn't get much further than that and after a few pumps there's enough fluid in the bottle to keep the air out.

the vacuum hose is stuffed into the bottle right down to the bottom of the bottle, fed through a hole in the side near the top to keep it stiffly located at the bottom, guess I should have specified that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLES View Post
And when trying to crack that bleeder screw open, before you even touch it with a wrench, give it a good tap with the ball pien, hitting it farther into the wheel cylinder or caliper. This is your one chance to get it to brake loose. If this does not work replace the part. Most shops will replace them anyways if they look too rusty and the piston boots are crunchy. Not all of us are broke dicks.
use the o/a torch to get it red hot, just the bleeder screw
you don't get enough heat from a propane torch to do it without getting the whole caliper too hot

let it cool and it'll come out damn near with your fingers
works good on stripped out pipe-thread diff fill plugs, too

Last edited by [486]; 03-15-2017 at 11:59 AM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #146 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
Missing 14mm

Doing a tranny swap on my Pig TJ. I'am missing a 14mm wrench and I know it is going to bite me.

I have mechanical oil pressure gauges in my Jeep's, used the shitty install kit that comes with plastic tube. That plastic tube gets brittle after 10 years; yeppers the wife pumped out about a quart of oil when I caught it. She would have burned up that engine for sure.

Note to self: Install steal braided tube with AN-4 fittings.
billdacat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat View Post
Note to self: Install steal braided tube with AN-4 fittings.
How about you join the 20th century and get an electric gauge instead?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #148 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
I can't remember how many perfect flares I have made having forgotten to slide the fitting on first, of or the perfectly soldered and shrink-wrapped splices where I neglected to first run the wire through the grommet.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
How about you join the 20th century and get an electric gauge instead?
How the hell is oil going to get through that wire?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 86797
Quote:
haha
pulled and put back in a starter 5 times in the freezing cold blowing wind at midnight

battery terminals were corroded, and the jumper cables I was putting power directly to the starter with only let through enough juice to clunk the pole-shoe ford starter, making me think the starter was the problem
Lol. Jesus, exact same thing for us and a semi tractor starter in and out at least 4 times. Super cleaned all 8 or so battery connections but turned out to be Chassis ground.

Edit:
And 486's bottle upside down in the reservoir idea is brilliant! I'm stealing that.
1983 CJ-8 "Gossamer" FULLY POLISHED LS1, TH-400, Atlas 3.8:1 32 spline, 4" 0.375 wall driveshafts, Avalanche Titan axles, 2 1/2 ton third members, CTM axle shafts and Ujoints, ARB's, 15k Warn, Onboard welder and CO2, Halon and Coldfire extinguishers. CB, HF, PA, Sirens, Etc.
Threadkiller

Last edited by thordehr; 03-15-2017 at 01:24 PM.
thordehr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in