How much insurance coverage do you carry? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered User
 
75cruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member # 39366
Location: Oakley, Ca
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Auto insurance medical pays for acupunture? You sure? I thought it paid for putting someone into the hospital. Maybe I need to read the policy again.

EDIT: $5,000 per person, regardless of fault, for anyone in my vehicle. Confirmed with my agent.
you are correct for medical coverage.

But your liability limits are the meat and potatoes and cover most of the medical bills like hospital, wambulance, meds etc. It also covers loss of wages, pain and suffering, etc.
__________________
[QUOTE=Dieselmh;27768049]I don't know either, but dammit, this is the internet. And as an internet user, it's my job to jump to conclusions and get angry about things that don't personally affect me in any way, shape of form, so fuck you! :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
75cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member # 159257
Location: Nevadafornia
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75cruisin View Post
you are correct for medical coverage.

But your liability limits are the meat and potatoes and cover most of the medical bills like hospital, wambulance, meds etc. It also covers loss of wages, pain and suffering, etc.
What if the other person doesn't have high enough liability to cover the medical expenses of the occupant(s) of my vehicle in a crash? Lets say they have some bullshit $15,000/30,000 and total my truck.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
75cruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member # 39366
Location: Oakley, Ca
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
What if the other person doesn't have high enough liability to cover the medical expenses of the occupant(s) of my vehicle in a crash? Lets say they have some bullshit $15,000/30,000 and total my truck.
then your policy's uninsured/underinsured coverage kicks in.

the tricky thing with this coverage is that it only covers up to the limit you have and includes the other persons insurance.

Ex:
you are hit by someone with 15/30 like you stated.
you carry 50/100
situation A: you have med, loss of wage etc of 35k
Other carrier covers 15k your policy covers 20k everything works out fine.
situation B: you have med, loss of wage etc of 75k
other carrier covers 15k your carrier covers 35k (15+35=50) and then there is 25k left over. This is where garnishing wages or going after the person that hit you and their net worth comes into play.
__________________
[QUOTE=Dieselmh;27768049]I don't know either, but dammit, this is the internet. And as an internet user, it's my job to jump to conclusions and get angry about things that don't personally affect me in any way, shape of form, so fuck you! :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
75cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member # 159257
Location: Nevadafornia
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75cruisin View Post
then your policy's uninsured/underinsured coverage kicks in.

the tricky thing with this coverage is that it only covers up to the limit you have and includes the other persons insurance.

Ex:
you are hit by someone with 15/30 like you stated.
you carry 50/100
situation A: you have med, loss of wage etc of 35k
Other carrier covers 15k your policy covers 20k everything works out fine.
situation B: you have med, loss of wage etc of 75k
other carrier covers 15k your carrier covers 35k (15+35=50) and then there is 25k left over. This is where garnishing wages or going after the person that hit you and their net worth comes into play.
FUCK that. I'll pay up front to avoid doing this. I don't make enough money to deal with garnishing wages and going to court.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered User
 
75cruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member # 39366
Location: Oakley, Ca
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
FUCK that. I'll pay up front to avoid doing this. I don't make enough money to deal with garnishing wages and going to court.
I agree, the agency I work with only very rarely write coverage under 100/300.
Now we are located in a very affluent area of CA. But we are licensed in many states and rarely write under those limits. As long as you have a good driving record increasing liability limits can be really inexpensive.

Hell, I own a truck, minimal savings, rent an apt and have basic shit for contents but still carry 100/300. And my net worth aint shit, and my wages are pretty entry level for this area.

accidents happen, and I would rather have my insurance pay for med, loss of wage and lawyer fees.
__________________
[QUOTE=Dieselmh;27768049]I don't know either, but dammit, this is the internet. And as an internet user, it's my job to jump to conclusions and get angry about things that don't personally affect me in any way, shape of form, so fuck you! :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
75cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member # 159257
Location: Nevadafornia
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75cruisin View Post
I agree, the agency I work with only very rarely write coverage under 100/300.
Now we are located in a very affluent area of CA. But we are licensed in many states and rarely write under those limits. As long as you have a good driving record increasing liability limits can be really inexpensive.

Hell, I own a truck, minimal savings, rent an apt and have basic shit for contents but still carry 100/300. And my net worth aint shit, and my wages are pretty entry level for this area.

accidents happen, and I would rather have my insurance pay for med, loss of wage and lawyer fees.
So, off the record and not legal in any way and all that bullshit, why would you say to have/not have medical insurance on your auto policy? It's $7.50ish a month for me to have it so it isn't breaking the bank I'm just curious what someone in the know would say about medical. I'm not going to change my insurance because of what you say if it makes it less legally binding or something.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered User
 
75cruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member # 39366
Location: Oakley, Ca
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
So, off the record and not legal in any way and all that bullshit, why would you say to have/not have medical insurance on your auto policy? It's $7.50ish a month for me to have it so it isn't breaking the bank I'm just curious what someone in the know would say about medical. I'm not going to change my insurance because of what you say if it makes it less legally binding or something.
Well I can tell you two things, and insurance advice is what I get paid to do so no worries there, not like we are breaking the law.

I do not carry medical coverage on my policy.

I did just deal with a case where a client was hit and has a hurt back. He is seeing a chiro to help. He has 10,000 med on his policy and is using that coverage to pay the bills. Then the insurance company I work for will send the total bill to the other carrier for reimbursement.

If that were my back, it would not be receiving the sweet sweet loving touch of a chiro due to me not having the coverage. It is kind of a weird coverage in my opinion. And based off of nothing but my thinking, if chiro was truly needed it would be covered either by other carrier or personal medical coverage.
__________________
[QUOTE=Dieselmh;27768049]I don't know either, but dammit, this is the internet. And as an internet user, it's my job to jump to conclusions and get angry about things that don't personally affect me in any way, shape of form, so fuck you! :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
75cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Member # 50525
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 2,614
Did you check with Geico? I was 26 at the time with one accident on my record and my rate doubled from $99/mo to $199/mo with Liberty Mutual when I moved from TX to FL, no new accidents. Geico got it back down to $108. Totaled that truck a month later, they were great to deal with. Added my wife's 08 Range Rover to ithe policy and increased our coverage to $300k/$500k at the advice of our financial planner (in order to add an umbrella policy), and I pay $250/month for both.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Member # 1663
Location: BFE & turn left
Posts: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
Liability
Property Damage Limit $25,000

Coverage Terms Premium
Comprehensive Coverage & Deductibles $1,000 $29.00
Collision Coverage & Deductibles $1,000 $100.00
I may be wrong here, but I believe the property damage is how much they pay towards an at fault accident. So if you T-bone and total a 2000 Ford Taurus, the 25k is good to cover it. BUT, if you T-bone and total a 2017 F-something with a $80,000 price tag, your insurance will ONLY cover 25k of it. You will be responsible for the rest.
That is my understanding of it, but I have been known to be wrong.

Also, $1,000 deductible....Fuck that. Most people that complain about insurance premiums usually don't have the money for the premium, let alone the 1k deduct.
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered User
 
88mitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Member # 125523
Location: DESOTO COUNTY, FL
Posts: 6,930
Welcome to Florida.

$1800/year for almost no coverage on a 30 year old truck and a 12 year old car.
__________________
START UP THE ROTORS
88mitsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 06:55 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered User
 
61scout80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Member # 16722
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric View Post
I may be wrong here, but I believe the property damage is how much they pay towards an at fault accident. So if you T-bone and total a 2000 Ford Taurus, the 25k is good to cover it. BUT, if you T-bone and total a 2017 F-something with a $80,000 price tag, your insurance will ONLY cover 25k of it. You will be responsible for the rest.
That is my understanding of it, but I have been known to be wrong.

Also, $1,000 deductible....Fuck that. Most people that complain about insurance premiums usually don't have the money for the premium, let alone the 1k deduct.
My complaint isn't that It's unaffordable, it's more that I think it's too damn much money for a service I've not used. Especially compared to when I lived in Phoenix and paid about $80 a month for MORE coverage.

I have the money for the $1k deductible. I view the insurance as a catastrophic need. If it's under a grand I'm not even going to bother with a claim. The realistic cost for a body shop repair vs what I could DIY most jobs for is a wide variance. For instance, the front bumper cover on the Hyundai has a few cracks from a shitty pro repair before we bought it. I could DIY the job for under $300, but a shop would be at least a grand.

If I'm making a claim on my insurance it's because the car is twisted, stolen, or otherwise destroyed. So the $500 extra in the deductible isn't a huge problem for me. whether at fault or out of my control, the loss of a vehicle would blow. Taking a little more of the financial responsibility personally is a gamble, but I've saved more than that extra $500 deductible over the long term of keeping that $1k deductible.

I just ran a quote through my insurer's website. It would be an extra $200 a year to bring my deductibles down to $500.

I'm really surprised to see so many concerned about the deductible amount on here, I figured most on this site would be on the same page. What makes you guys keep your deductibles lower?
__________________
Sky is filled with starry scenes of heroes and their greatest deeds
61scout80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 06:58 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered User
 
61scout80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Member # 16722
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mitsu View Post
Welcome to Florida.

$1800/year for almost no coverage on a 30 year old truck and a 12 year old car.
It was a REAL shock to me! Almost as bad as what it cost to get my cars registered in Florida. That lack of state income tax gets offset pretty quickly with the costs to live here!
__________________
Sky is filled with starry scenes of heroes and their greatest deeds
61scout80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 07:02 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered User
 
61scout80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Member # 16722
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbob101 View Post
2014 JEEP WRANGLER SPORT WG
Annual mileage - Driven 7,500 miles or less annually
1 driver (me)

Coverage Details:

Bodily Injury - $250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident
Property Damage - $100,000 each accident

Uninsured Motor Vehicle - $250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident / $100,000 each accident

Comprehensive Deductible - $100
Collision Deductible - $250
Emergency Road Service - YES
Car Rental and Travel Expenses - $25/Day Max $600
Medical Payments -$25,000 each person

Total Premium - $1340.74/year
(total premium includes your discounts: Accident Free, Multi-line, Vehicle Safety, Annual Mileage)
Thanks for sharing Kim. My quote for the same coverage on both our cars is $3,915.44 a year.
__________________
Sky is filled with starry scenes of heroes and their greatest deeds
61scout80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 07:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered User
 
75cruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member # 39366
Location: Oakley, Ca
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric View Post
I may be wrong here, but I believe the property damage is how much they pay towards an at fault accident. So if you T-bone and total a 2000 Ford Taurus, the 25k is good to cover it. BUT, if you T-bone and total a 2017 F-something with a $80,000 price tag, your insurance will ONLY cover 25k of it. You will be responsible for the rest.
That is my understanding of it, but I have been known to be wrong.

Also, $1,000 deductible....Fuck that. Most people that complain about insurance premiums usually don't have the money for the premium, let alone the 1k deduct.
You are correct, it also covers if you take out a telephone pole, center divide, fence, etc.
__________________
[QUOTE=Dieselmh;27768049]I don't know either, but dammit, this is the internet. And as an internet user, it's my job to jump to conclusions and get angry about things that don't personally affect me in any way, shape of form, so fuck you! :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
75cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 07:23 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered User
 
75cruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member # 39366
Location: Oakley, Ca
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post

I'm really surprised to see so many concerned about the deductible amount on here, I figured most on this site would be on the same page. What makes you guys keep your deductibles lower?
I have my comp deductible at $100 and collision at $1000. Comprehensive coverage is usually way cheaper than collision, especially on older vehicles. This coverage if for fire, theft, vandalism, hitting a MOVING animal or MOVING object on the road. When you put in a comp claim it does NOT increase your premium. IIRC when I increase my deductible to $1000 I save about $37 each six months.
__________________
[QUOTE=Dieselmh;27768049]I don't know either, but dammit, this is the internet. And as an internet user, it's my job to jump to conclusions and get angry about things that don't personally affect me in any way, shape of form, so fuck you! :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
75cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111030
Location: Small Town, TN
Posts: 8,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
Thanks for sharing Kim. My quote for the same coverage on both our cars is $3,915.44 a year.
DUDE...
kimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 09:16 AM   #42 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
not2hye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Member # 186552
Location: Fresno, ca
Posts: 2,588
I thought $80 a month for full coverage on my 12 super duty was bad. $500 deductible, don't know the specifics right now but they aren't minimal.
But then again they do want almost that much for liability on a 96 1500 I just got.
My 90 blazer is $14 a month for liability
__________________
Too much junk...

Quote:
Your sig is right..too much junk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
not2hye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Member # 16993
Location: Parkersburg, WV
Posts: 3,054
Regarding Med Pay and reasons you may not want it: I always advise people that if they have good health insurance and are reasonably sure they will only have passengers in their cars that have health insurance, they probably don't need it.

That said, it does pay for deductibles, copays, and will pay the full amount for anyone killed in an accident. Another interesting thing it will pay is if someone slips on ice (for example) getting in or out of the car.
__________________
'12 JKUR O|||||O
'83 Jeep Scrambler -Sold :(
GarScramb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.