Zero turn mowers do's &don'ts - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Member # 3935
Location: *******************EAT ME
Posts: 35,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by crghill View Post
I just bought a Kubota ZG327. 60" deck with 27 hp gas engine. Thing is a beast. Hydraulic deck lift, drive shaft to deck instead of belt, wet clutch to engage pto. It mows my five acres of Florida swamp pretty good.
I was at the local Kubota dealer picking up parts for my CTL and I asked about the mowers. They have a turbo diesel 60" zero turn for $17k! I'd love to have one, but that ain't happening.
southernfriedcj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Member # 62472
Location: Punta (not Punta) Gorda FL
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfriedcj8 View Post
I was at the local Kubota dealer picking up parts for my CTL and I asked about the mowers. They have a turbo diesel 60" zero turn for $17k! I'd love to have one, but that ain't happening.
My mower has all the bells and whistles but is gas. I had a 60" Diesel Toro but the mower only lasted 3,000 hours while I believe the engine will probably last 10K. It was a Kubota Diesel.

I went with gas on the Kubota because I got a comparable mower with lots of power for 10K instead of 15k. My price was $10,100 and I took the zero for 48 months financing. I sold my old Toro for $4,500 so I had a nice fat down payment.
crghill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #53 (permalink)
Rusted.
 
Tin Roof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Member # 132785
Location: Iowa
Posts: 887
I ended up buying some atv tires and had the shop put fluid in them when they mounted them. Each tire held 5 1/2 gallons of fluid, so somewhere between 40-50 lbs per tire. I haven't mowed with it yet, but did drive around some. It rides like a lumber wagon now, but gets around a hell of a lot better.

Name:  mower tire.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  62.7 KB
Tin Roof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Member # 74407
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 12,577
So you added 100lbs of rotational mass (is that the correct term) to it? I just don't see that boding well for the hyd motors. Do you notice more of a strain to take off from a stop?
__________________
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/38826018-post1418.html
TireFryerSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #55 (permalink)
Rusted.
 
Tin Roof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Member # 132785
Location: Iowa
Posts: 887
I didn't notice any difference in take off or when going up a hill.
Tin Roof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111524
Location: Texas... we dont F*&*% around
Posts: 15,646
Necro post.

I've had a Kubota zt 42" for a couple years. Not thrilled with the cut on it. Seems I have to re-cut a lot of places. Yes, new blades etc, doesn't matter. Installed a mulch kit, removed it, still didn't cut well. Also feels a little underpowered.

I've found a SCAG liberty Z locally with a mulch kit and Kohler 7000 series engine with around 100 hours. Want to buy it and sell the Kubota. Any thoughts on the SCAG?
__________________
shhhh.....
Texas97 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #57 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh
 
D_JEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Member # 99624
Location: or '1'='1
Posts: 13,012
Blog Entries: 1
Are you noticing a lot of "mowhawking" while cutting? My 42" Toro Timecutter ss5000 does that too. Mainly when going at normal speed through heavier grass. I also noticed if I dont tie a string to the deflector and raise it up a little bit, it tends to clog and bog.

The mowhawking thing also can be from an improperly leveled deck. I think you are supposed to have the front raised like a half inch or so over the rear? Maybe I have that backwards...but it is definitely something to consider.
__________________
MOLON LABE
Quote:
If I was an FBI agent on one of these stings, I wouldn't be able to resist building up a suicide vest rigged with confetti cannons.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
D_JEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111524
Location: Texas... we dont F*&*% around
Posts: 15,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_JEEPER View Post
Are you noticing a lot of "mowhawking" while cutting? My 42" Toro Timecutter ss5000 does that too. Mainly when going at normal speed through heavier grass. I also noticed if I dont tie a string to the deflector and raise it up a little bit, it tends to clog and bog.

The mowhawking thing also can be from an improperly leveled deck. I think you are supposed to have the front raised like a half inch or so over the rear? Maybe I have that backwards...but it is definitely something to consider.
i dont think with this one i can adjust the deck height independently from the rear. but maybe. so which is it? higher in the front or rear?

i dont think id call it mohawking, as much as its knocking some stuff down and not having the tip speed and suction to pull it up and cut it all.

Everything ive heard is that SCAG decks and blades cut really well, so im hoping to get a better cut all around. also, the extra width may help with the edges as the wheels get in the way of my current 42". would be nice to do away with that discharge chute.
__________________
shhhh.....
Texas97 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #59 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn
 
Action Fab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Member # 77386
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 13,012
Blog Entries: 1
Back on the topic of dunking your zero in the pond. I have a nice little pond with a steep embankment. The trick I found with the zero turn is to back down the slope, then drive back up it. Scooting over each pass.

-Guy Who Has Never Put It In The Pond.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Member # 193950
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_JEEPER View Post
Are you noticing a lot of "mowhawking" while cutting? My 42" Toro Timecutter ss5000 does that too. Mainly when going at normal speed through heavier grass. I also noticed if I dont tie a string to the deflector and raise it up a little bit, it tends to clog and bog.

The mowhawking thing also can be from an improperly leveled deck. I think you are supposed to have the front raised like a half inch or so over the rear? Maybe I have that backwards...but it is definitely something to consider.
Back higher than the front, that way you only cut it once. If the back is lower, it has to cut twice.

Aaron Z
__________________
At some point you have to accept that lots of naturally-occurring substances can kill you-Solandri
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #61 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh
 
D_JEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Member # 99624
Location: or '1'='1
Posts: 13,012
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
i dont think with this one i can adjust the deck height independently from the rear. but maybe. so which is it? higher in the front or rear?

i dont think id call it mohawking, as much as its knocking some stuff down and not having the tip speed and suction to pull it up and cut it all.

Everything ive heard is that SCAG decks and blades cut really well, so im hoping to get a better cut all around. also, the extra width may help with the edges as the wheels get in the way of my current 42". would be nice to do away with that discharge chute.
The rear has to be higher by an inch. Apparently it produces suction. Might help your issue. Typically there is a central turnbuckle or adjustment at the front of the deck off of the mower frame (right between your feet)
__________________
MOLON LABE
Quote:
If I was an FBI agent on one of these stings, I wouldn't be able to resist building up a suicide vest rigged with confetti cannons.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
D_JEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #62 (permalink)
Rock God
 
wahlstrom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Member # 94308
Location: Sherwood Park Alberta
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Roof View Post
I ended up buying some atv tires and had the shop put fluid in them when they mounted them. Each tire held 5 1/2 gallons of fluid, so somewhere between 40-50 lbs per tire. I haven't mowed with it yet, but did drive around some. It rides like a lumber wagon now, but gets around a hell of a lot better.

Attachment 2684809
Any updates on sidehill traction with this setup? Contemplating doing the same to my RZT 50.
wahlstrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #63 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Juztyn00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Member # 52569
Location: Mt. Vernon, IL
Posts: 4,526
Send a message via MSN to Juztyn00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlstrom1 View Post
Any updates on sidehill traction with this setup? Contemplating doing the same to my RZT 50.
Better tires help a lot for control on hills, will take a divot out of the turf if you try to spin with a tire stopped, gotta keep them rolling.
Juztyn00 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #64 (permalink)
3Cs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 45122
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_JEEPER View Post
The rear has to be higher by an inch. Apparently it produces suction. Might help your issue. Typically there is a central turnbuckle or adjustment at the front of the deck off of the mower frame (right between your feet)
1/2" higher in the rear is the norm, 1" seems way to much for blades that are only 18" to 20"long.
3Cs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #65 (permalink)
Rock God
 
wahlstrom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Member # 94308
Location: Sherwood Park Alberta
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juztyn00 View Post
Better tires help a lot for control on hills, will take a divot out of the turf if you try to spin with a tire stopped, gotta keep them rolling.
I end up dragging one now just to keep it half ass on track and pointed where I wanted when heading down hills now. Climbs alright, but doesn’t sidehill or down hill track worth a shit.
wahlstrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #66 (permalink)
Rock God
 
giles45shop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Member # 197896
Location: Odessa, FL
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
Necro post.

I've had a Kubota zt 42" for a couple years. Not thrilled with the cut on it. Seems I have to re-cut a lot of places. Yes, new blades etc, doesn't matter. Installed a mulch kit, removed it, still didn't cut well. Also feels a little underpowered.

I've found a SCAG liberty Z locally with a mulch kit and Kohler 7000 series engine with around 100 hours. Want to buy it and sell the Kubota. Any thoughts on the SCAG?
I have a 52 Freedom Z and really like it. Going on 12 years of mowing 5 acres with no major issues. Previous to this we had one of the Scag 61" 3 wheel commercial mowers that went about 15+ years. They are built well and seem to last.
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 AM   #67 (permalink)
Rusted.
 
Tin Roof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Member # 132785
Location: Iowa
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlstrom1 View Post
Any updates on sidehill traction with this setup? Contemplating doing the same to my RZT 50.
Sidehill traction was good, but it tore the shit out of the yard when turning. I ended up selling the Hustler and going back to a lawn tractor. If/when I move to a place with a flat yard I'll definitely go back to a zero turn.
Tin Roof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111524
Location: Texas... we dont F*&*% around
Posts: 15,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop View Post
I have a 52 Freedom Z and really like it. Going on 12 years of mowing 5 acres with no major issues. Previous to this we had one of the Scag 61" 3 wheel commercial mowers that went about 15+ years. They are built well and seem to last.
Doing more research into the SCAgs, going to hold out for something with the velocity deck on it.
__________________
shhhh.....
Texas97 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.