6 Figures, Free/Flexible Time, Low Stress? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
A couple things ...

1. Six figures in California or New York isn't the same as six figures in Omaha or Grand Forks

2. Stress is up to the individual. One man's stress is another man's opportunity.

3. In most cases, you will have to earn a job like this by making sacrifices early in life.

I've been earning six figures since the mid-90's but I've also gone (nearly) broke. In that time, I've started or bought more than a dozen businesses and I've worked for employers for a few years. In addition to going broke, I spent a lot of time away from my family. I averaged about 300,000 air miles a year for 3-4 years.

My next step toward "semi-retirement" is purchasing "distressed" commercial properties, improving them and holding them to lease. I'll hire someone to run my rehab crew(s) and run my maintenance crew(s) and focus on leasing and tenant relations. In five years, I'm targeting gross rental income in the ballpark of $40-50k per month. My net, after expenses will probably be in the $30-40k per month ballpark.

In my mind, that fits all three criteria. But, it takes money to make money.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post

2. Stress is up to the individual. One man's stress is another man's opportunity.

3. In most cases, you will have to earn a job like this by making sacrifices early in life.

I've been earning six figures since the mid-90's but I've also gone (nearly) broke. In that time, I've started or bought more than a dozen businesses and I've worked for employers for a few years. In addition to going broke, I spent a lot of time away from my family. I averaged about 300,000 air miles a year for 3-4 years.
So, so true. Especially #3. I'm kinda a stress junkie, I like a tight deadline that motivates quick decisions.

Quote:
My next step toward "semi-retirement" is purchasing "distressed" commercial properties, improving them and holding them to lease. I'll hire someone to run my rehab crew(s)
I'm your man.
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Realtor.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Software Developer - any major metropolitan area (although, that is only your home office - my home office is in Chicago and I live in Florida).

I am incredibly fortunate.
I came here to post this.

$60/hr contractor. Work from home. Or work from home for a company. Some get $80-$105/hr.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
I'm your man.
Somehow, I doubt we'd get along very well.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #31 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11141
Contractor/consultant. I sit on customer site. Do my 40/week or 1880/yr and then go home. Job itself is low-stress, unless it's contract renewal time, but if you do good work, generally its NBD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #32 (permalink)
Trail Tampon

Member # 27333
Quote:
Originally Posted by axisT6 View Post
I hit all three. I work as a Rotating Equipment Engineer at a refinery. Similar engineering roles such will have you hitting all three as well. Schedules are usually 9/80s or 5/8s with weekends, plenty of paid holidays, nice bennies. Stress is low if you are competent.
most of the RE guys and plant guys in general i meet fit this bill to a T except for those turnarounds and shut downs. those eat into that nice weekend time.
rajincajingt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 21100
Investment advisor, fee for service. I charge my clients an annual fee as a retainer, advise as necessary and see two clients a day on average. Work three weeks a month, more during tax season. Stress, well it's people's life saving usually so it can be exciting when a market goes berserk.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 88264
Commercial airline pilot seems to check all the boxes, maybe stress level is higher than some of the other ones mentioned. Six figures is possible, lots of mandated down time, flight benefits.

I'm almost to the 6 figure income as an engineer, and moving to a job in a couple months that works 4x10-hour days.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #35 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
Commercial airline pilot seems to check all the boxes, maybe stress level is higher than some of the other ones mentioned. Six figures is possible, lots of mandated down time, flight benefits.

I'm almost to the 6 figure income as an engineer, and moving to a job in a couple months that works 4x10-hour days.

USPS pilot pays a ton
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 762522
im not sure you can have all three or, i guess i should back up ... many people simply don't operate in a zone where all three exist.

i fit 2 of the 3 but i can't sit still long enough to achieve all 3. i could but then i would be bored. i naturally do this.
dalearyous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #37 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
It's also possible with about any construction trade in ca.... stress level is up to you
Old 06-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Career advisor. PM me you billing info and I can get you started.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143323
I have 2.5 of 3.

I am a manager for a large home builder. I drive a lot for work but I make well over 100k, reimbursed for vehicle and mileage, great hours (maybe 40 a week), lots of opportunities to work from home since everything is electronic at this point, I have 3 sons and usually get them on and off the school bus, the stress could be tough for most people but I don't mind. I enjoy my job and have been with my company for 13 years and don't see a reason to leave anytime soon.
Get a sitter and take her somewhere nice. Obviously "nice" is reliant on budget, as my nice might be crawfish and draft shiner at a dive bar followed by rough backseat sex parked behind Gander Mountain- whereas your nice will probably differ from that.
bjordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #40 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 23507
I wish I could get to more then 1/3. I make OK money, but a far cry from the 6 figures. I have low stress for the most part and only put in 40 hours /week, but I while I can spend/enjoy some of the time with the family, it's never enough. Having paid days off is nice, but it gets used up quickly...so I guess I am closer to 2/3. I have been trying to figure out how to get to the 6 figure income...but seem to be road blocked....mostly self inflicted. I even have a rental to try and bring up the income, and so far, it's doing decent and cash flowing, it's not pushing me near the 6 figure level.

I feel I'm a great employee, very good at problem solving, understand how businesses (most) operate, can understand most financials, inventories, customer relations, etc. The 3 main jobs I've had since high school have all loved me and I ended up leaving for various reasons....yet, getting to the 6 figures is proving difficult. I think it's more because while I'm confident in my abilities, I'm not the best at building relationships with new people. Once I work/interact with people, I am fine, but I get nervous and shy (just not "mousy") So it's hard to sell yourself when you aren't good at casual interactions.

Last edited by pike2350; 06-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.
pike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #41 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold1 View Post
Before you say "Put your pipe down and step away from the computer!", I respect the vast experience/exposure here and the question is serious.

I know the title is nearly fantasy, or it exists for .000000001% of those who won the lottery of life, however if you were to make a list of specific jobs, in descending order, with #1 being as close to the title as possible, what would they be?

Priorities: Minimize stress, strong salary, and enough time to be able to enjoy your earnings with your family.

1)
2)
3)

If you want to make it a little more fun, add the location where you would seek the job -
Priorities: Minimize stress, strong salary, and enough time to be able to enjoy your earnings with your family.

1) Gym Teacher
2) Police Officer
3) Politician

The above will return FAR more than the salary you expect, when you consider that everyone else pays for your pensions, and unless you want to stand-out and reinvent the wheel, you don't have to sign-up for extra programs or overtime that gets in the way of spending your money with the family.

The last position, never need any qualifications, always works something on the side, and is never accountable for ANY out-comes (no stress).

STOLEN!!! -->'80 CJ-7 w/ 258 I-6,T-176,D300, '94 YJ tub, '83 toy axles front & rear, Smirffield front axles, w/3.90's, 'YJ rears up front, and a bunch of home-grown patches, all sitting on BFG 35" MTs.

Post #411
Blame Canada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #42 (permalink)
Need an LS

Member # 23188
High School Teacher.

Top of the pay scale in my district is $95,948, but if you manage to teach an extra section (meaning an extra class a day) you are paid 17% more.

There is ZERO stress as long as you are teaching PE or an elective.

I only work 185 days a year, from 8 to 3. No weekends.

All summer off, and two weeks off each for Fall, Winter and Spring breaks.

Once you get 12 years of experience, you would be close to that $100k level.... $98,155 with an extra section.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 77578
Send a message via AIM to XJben
^that pays about 55-60k here, tops.

location, location, location
Old 06-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #44 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Somehow, I doubt we'd get along very well.
You'd be surprised. I consider Overbear a friend, I got several buddies with far right views.

We have some great campfires.

Biz wise, I'd rather do business with the local "Christian Militia" than I would the Ananda Acolytes (local commune with ashram, etc. and multiple contracting businesses).
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt

Last edited by Screwzer2; 06-08-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 41682
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
It's also possible with about any construction trade in ca.... stress level is up to you
Um...no.

I am in that field...Project Executive for BIG ($1B/year in volume company)...money is outstanding. Stress sucks and time to enjoy your life is a challenge.

I want out in the worst way.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #46 (permalink)
Need an LS

Member # 23188
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJben View Post
^that pays about 55-60k here, tops.

location, location, location
Yeah. But you don't have to deal with California prices.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack & Coke View Post
Um...no.

I am in that field...Project Executive for BIG ($1B/year in volume company)...money is outstanding. Stress sucks and time to enjoy your life is a challenge.

I want out in the worst way.

Maybe not the P.E. side but the field side defiantly. I know a ton of guys that show up, do what they are told, and go home. They make well into 6 figures and can take time off as they want.

I usually make 6 years but this year to date I've made 30k. Guess why?... I've had over 2 months of vacation. I like my job, don't come home stressed, and can usually work as much or as little as I want. 40hrs is what the boss would deem the perfect scenario but I still have my job.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 34987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajincajingt View Post
most of the RE guys and plant guys in general i meet fit this bill to a T except for those turnarounds and shut downs. those eat into that nice weekend time.
True. Turnarounds aren't that often though. In my experience they typically happen every 5 years. The overtime pay makes up for it.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
Yeah. But you don't have to deal with California prices.
I wish I would have know about the high CA salaries 30 years ago. It would be nice to retire from a 150k police gig in CA and then move to the South and live like a king on a 100+k pension.
southernfriedcj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 10360
I'm a IT/Web Developer contractor. Self-employed, work from wherever, whenever. 32 hours a week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in