6 Figures, Free/Flexible Time, Low Stress? - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 8227
Community Organizer
J-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 29373
You guys have made this a great thread and resource; hopefully not just for me. I'm in that interesting life stage where I find myself trying my best to guide/enlighten my teenage sons as they prepare for college/career/life, but I fear I am setting them up to spend their futures sprinting on the same rat wheel my wife and I are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Now I'm a manufacturers rep for a major building products supplier. It's not a job where I have to go in and hammer people to buy 50 or these or 5000 of those, it's more "hey we got this cool new product", or "let's go to lunch" kind of gig. I handle their bitching about pricing, and the very rare fuckup from my warehouse or accounting. My boss leaves me alone for the most part because I am proactive and call him before someone gets a bitch up the ladder. Anyway, it's not Rock n Roll, but I can do this till I retire. The key is to find the company that has the best product and one that continues to innovate. I've worked for backmarker companies and it sucks, it makes you feel like a failure.
Roc Doc, you mind if I PM you?
Coarsegold1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 747049
Easiest I have seen, and would like to get into, is selling a digital product.

One example, guy selling digital classes for whatever topic. $10 a month, with a good following, for basically bait clicker topics (say 10k people), cliff notes version of the class for $100, full on webinar(say 100 people), 4 hours, $750 (say 25 people)

For this its all about the following, but you make your own hours, work from your laptop, wherever. Stress is your deadline, but can set your own deadlines and have all the time to make your own.

This one is about the following, so its not a walk in job.
[/COLOR]

Full Line of Trail Gear, King, Warn, ARB, Corbeau, Bilstein, everything you need to get your rig right.

Find us on Facebook at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or our web site (which is still a work in progress)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cameronswmp9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 747049
To answer the question, my normal 9-5, have 0/3. Stress to kill a whale, always there, and pay sucks. And the company is going through a merger, so bonuses are all screwed up, we havent gotten monthly reporting in 6 months, and we get nothing but shit from our upper management.
[/COLOR]

Full Line of Trail Gear, King, Warn, ARB, Corbeau, Bilstein, everything you need to get your rig right.

Find us on Facebook at
or our web site (which is still a work in progress)

Cameronswmp9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 716842
My gig is close but not quite. I'm a military contractor. Low stress, easy work, food provided , laundry is done for me. I spend six months a year overseas but can take the other six off if I want and not work/ live anywhere I want. I do it for the schedule but six months work pays about 120k/ year. I live in Utah where my money stretches pretty far and lots to do with my time off. Trying to buy up some properties for retirement now.
bushauler2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #56 (permalink)
Trail Tampon

Member # 27333
Quote:
Originally Posted by axisT6 View Post
True. Turnarounds aren't that often though. In my experience they typically happen every 5 years. The overtime pay makes up for it.
5 years

these assholes around here seem to shut in every 12-18!!

its all good. the right plant position can be a cake walk. especially in those flame proof PJs.
rajincajingt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #57 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronswmp9 View Post
Easiest I have seen, and would like to get into, is selling a digital product.

One example, guy selling digital classes for whatever topic. $10 a month, with a good following, for basically bait clicker topics (say 10k people), cliff notes version of the class for $100, full on webinar(say 100 people), 4 hours, $750 (say 25 people)

For this its all about the following, but you make your own hours, work from your laptop, wherever. Stress is your deadline, but can set your own deadlines and have all the time to make your own.

This one is about the following, so its not a walk in job.
Ummmm competition is heating up.

I'm about to sign up for an online course with the famous Architect Frank Gehry. Total cost? $100. Its supposed to include "individual advice" for the aspirational, but at that price, I ain't expecting much more than a cardboard cutout, ifn' you know what I meme .

You will need very niche oriented specialized info and a decent marketing program to achieve what you expect. That, or a govt. compliance mandate. , such as those "debtor classes" and "drunk/reckless driving courses"

I hear Gender Diversity videos are real popular with the HR peeps.

That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt

Last edited by Screwzer2; 06-09-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #58 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJben View Post
A physical job where you make over 100k? What college work did you do? How many hours are your working on those 4 on?
I didn't finish my BS and am making 6 figures with a 4 ten work week.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #59 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Been in offshore oil/gas drilling for the last 10 years. I work a little over 6 months out of the year and make well into 6 figures. 28 days on, 28 days off most of the time. When I'm off the rig, I don't have to talk to anyone about it or even think about it other than the occasional training class during my off time. Stress can be quite high while I'm at work and I do miss a lot of holidays and birthdays but when I'm off I can do whatever I want whenever I want. No college degree.

Last edited by Azzy2000; 06-10-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Azzy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #60 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold1 View Post
You guys have made this a great thread and resource; hopefully not just for me. I'm in that interesting life stage where I find myself trying my best to guide/enlighten my teenage sons as they prepare for college/career/life, but I fear I am setting them up to spend their futures sprinting on the same rat wheel my wife and I are on.

Roc Doc, you mind if I PM you?
I would suggest "Construction Management" or "Property Management" as a college course. At least in my neck of the woods there is always a need construction managers. You get to spend time in the field and not just office work, can be stressful but it depends on how you handle it. Work your ass off in your 20s and hopefully be in a good position in your mid 30s. I spent 10 years killing it as a Project Manager for a large homebuilder and making a name for myself. Now I am in demand and have an opportunity to enjoy what my hard work provided me.

Too many young folks these days jump from job to job and that shit catches up to you. Now when I interview someone with a resume that shows multiple job jumps in a few years time to wonder if they are fully committed to their jobs or if they are just looking for the next opportunity. Tenure goes along way with my company. We have a lot of guys that have 30-40 years with the company and they are typically in upper management roles now or in a senior position with a lot of great perks (lots of vacation time, leadership roles, flexible schedules, great pay and benefits). But with any public company stress is always there as you have to perform. People need to learn how to manage the stress and not run away from it. That is my .02$
Get a sitter and take her somewhere nice. Obviously "nice" is reliant on budget, as my nice might be crawfish and draft shiner at a dive bar followed by rough backseat sex parked behind Gander Mountain- whereas your nice will probably differ from that.
bjordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 34987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajincajingt View Post
5 years

these assholes around here seem to shut in every 12-18!!

its all good. the right plant position can be a cake walk. especially in those flame proof PJs.
Correct, however engineers are usually assigned to specific units or zones. You can have multiple units/zones go into turnaround, one after the other, but it is usually a different group of people putting in the hours each time.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #62 (permalink)
Trail Tampon

Member # 27333
Quote:
Originally Posted by axisT6 View Post
Correct, however engineers are usually assigned to specific units or zones. You can have multiple units/zones go into turnaround, one after the other, but it is usually a different group of people putting in the hours each time.
yeah youre right. i guess i always get called being the outside contractor.
rajincajingt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Software Developer - any major metropolitan area (although, that is only your home office - my home office is in Chicago and I live in Florida).

I am incredibly fortunate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by synds9 View Post
I'm a IT/Web Developer contractor. Self-employed, work from wherever, whenever. 32 hours a week.
Yup. I work in software. Currently as a manager for a small development team. Low stress, although a lot of that is because I'm generally a low stress person. I have 21 days of PTO available annually.

I do miss the money from contracting. I couldn't ever find a good sales guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy2000 View Post
I work a little over 6 months out of the year and make well into 6 figures. 28 days on, 28 days off most of the time. When I'm off the rig, I don't have to talk to anyone about it or even think about it other than the occasional training class during my off time. Stress can be quite high while I'm at work and I do miss a lot of holidays and birthdays but when I'm off I can do whatever I want whenever I want. No college degree.

KF5EQF

apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 146689
What's the best way to get into the IT/Software developer field and make 100k a year? My wife is currently working as a wellness coordinator for a small insurance exchange and she is looking to get into another job or a new career.

She does all the communications and web stuff for her company currently so I'm thinking that might be a good field for her to look into. Especially with the 100k a year .

Last edited by RusM; 07-14-2017 at 03:31 PM.
RusM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #65 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20298
Your life and your family changes daily. Matching a job to fit is foolhardy.
1: It's YOUR job and your 8++ hours. Make sure you enjoy it.
2: Children. You get one chance.
X: Money. Who cares if 1 and 2 are priorities?

/I'm old and you should listen.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 73883
I'm pretty close to all three as DBA for customer service reporting. I work from home and make the money(barely). As long as none of the instances are down, there's no stress, and if it is, eh, I'll get it fixed eventually. We're not talking life or death so it's not that big of a rush.
CJNTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #67 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold1 View Post
Before you say "Put your pipe down and step away from the computer!", I respect the vast experience/exposure here and the question is serious.

I know the title is nearly fantasy, or it exists for .000000001% of those who won the lottery of life, however if you were to make a list of specific jobs, in descending order, with #1 being as close to the title as possible, what would they be?

Priorities: Minimize stress, strong salary, and enough time to be able to enjoy your earnings with your family.

1)
2)
3)

If you want to make it a little more fun, add the location where you would seek the job -
I'll play.

I make north of 120 a year. By my schedule I only work 50% of the days of the year, but I work as many hours as a normal 9-5 person. There is allot of OT covering for PTO (Personal Time off), meetings and maintenance outages when needed, so in the end I work on average 60% of the days a year. I only work 5 M-F day shifts a month, so my contact with management is very limited. I am scheduled 1 week off a month and 2 of the weekends. If I can schedule my vacations right I can get 2 weeks off straight and only burn 4 days of my PTO up, and I get 14 days off a year right now. I hit my 10 year mark next year and pick up a couple more days. PTO for us is figured in hours so it's an odd number for me since I work 12 hour shifts, and they originally figured it out for 5-9 workers.

As long as I don't act like an idiot and don't fuck up, the stress levels are pretty low and/or manageable by not letting the idiot managers get you stressed out. There is allot of stupid busy work and all the other penny pinching issues from the higher ups that don't ever want to fix anything, but fook it, when I roll out the gate I let that shit drop on roll on.

The one big down side is it is 12 hour rotating shifts, it can be hard on you flipping back and forth between days and nights, but you get used to it for the most part. I have people ask me about the shifts regularly and they are always amazed I would work hours like that, but for what I get to did it I wouldn't ever want to work different hours. I have one buddy who for a long time kept wanting me to quite working and open a small business with him, ya, like that's going to happen, there is no way I could do anything like he wanted to do, make the money I do, and still have the time off to go fook off and play as much as I do.

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 110165
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusM View Post
What's the best way to get into the IT/Software developer field and make 100k a year? My wife is currently working as a wellness coordinator for a small insurance exchange and she is looking to get into another job or a new career.

She does all the communications and web stuff for her company currently so I'm thinking that might be a good field for her to look into. Especially with the 100k a year .
Hack reactor, degrees are not really required any more. Also look a programs like Udacity, big funding from software companies with pipelines for hiring into many.
Azrockbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 14221
Send a message via AIM to ABQ-TJ Send a message via Yahoo to ABQ-TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjordan View Post
I would suggest "Construction Management" or "Property Management" as a college course. At least in my neck of the woods there is always a need construction managers. You get to spend time in the field and not just office work, can be stressful but it depends on how you handle it. Work your ass off in your 20s and hopefully be in a good position in your mid 30s. I spent 10 years killing it as a Project Manager for a large homebuilder and making a name for myself. Now I am in demand and have an opportunity to enjoy what my hard work provided me.

$
I second this. Wish I did that in college.

I'm in contracting now after 25 years in the restaurant industry. My quality of life in infinitely better, money is better, and the stress is somewhat better (different is more accurate).

ABQ-TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #70 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
It's also possible with about any construction trade in ca.... stress level is up to you
If I could do what I specialize in, Full Time. I'd be a happy motherfucker.

I specialized in "architectural restoration". rebuilding Historical buildings back to spec according to the deconstruction of the existing structure and consultation with historical architects that consult on the job. I'm bidding one right now, but it's the first one in a while.

I also wish I had continued flipping houses in the 90's. My Wife and I partnered up with another couple flipping houses, and had the option of holding on to a few homes along the way. Instead we used the csh we had built up to open up a moulding shop to supply contractors, and lost our ass in the market crash 10 years ago.

Had we stayed with the homes, we would have been doing much better with rental properties than we were dealing with contractors.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #71 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjordan View Post

Too many young folks these days jump from job to job and that shit catches up to you. Now when I interview someone with a resume that shows multiple job jumps in a few years time to wonder if they are fully committed to their jobs or if they are just looking for the next opportunity. Tenure goes along way with my company. We have a lot of guys that have 30-40 years with the company and they are typically in upper management roles now or in a senior position with a lot of great perks (lots of vacation time, leadership roles, flexible schedules, great pay and benefits). But with any public company stress is always there as you have to perform. People need to learn how to manage the stress and not run away from it. That is my .02$

^^^ up above in red is where I really screwed up. I worked for a lot of small companies early on, and jumped around a lot, because I was a "hot shot" or thought I was anyway

when I was younger, I made a name for myself by being able to catch jobs back up to schedule, or fix other peoples' screw ups, so I bounced around a lot chasing money. it really bit me in the ass when I hit my late 30's and I had a lot of 1,2 and 3 year stints on my resume. If I had stuck to doing restoration work, or custom homes, instead of bouncing back and forth between the two, I'd probably be much better off.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #72 (permalink)
Green bastard

Member # 123458
Location is a huge game changer. Where I live, median household income for 2015 was $43,590, individual was $24,438 and state wide was $54,148. I make 4 times the median household income gross, but my net is obviously less, but is still almost double. Those numbers in LA would put me homeless or living in what's a $500 beater here that cost $1500 there.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 29341
I like what I do, but if I was to think of something cushy to do that meets all 3.

Mining safety class instructor, i know the guys I use do well.

It isn't terribly hard to get into, repeat customers. Can set up a office space or be mobile or both.
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2017, 05:05 AM   #74 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 95993
Be a hail chaser. PDR Lynx or National Dent. I've met a ton of these people over the years that make 100k+ and work maybe nine months a year. It's easier if you're single because you have to travel so much. We had a guy from Missouri a few years back that came to our shop for a hail storm. Picked dents for about two weeks. Total $ was around 70k with a 56% portion going back to him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in