Evolution and homosexuality - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 108799
Evolution and homosexuality

First off I'm not a bigot, I don't care who you want to be with. I'm not a religious man and believe if gay people want to marry and be a miserable as the rest, more power to you. That being said I heard and interesting theory today.

If being born gay is biological then by nature's laws you can not procreate. Being born gay is evolution's way of weeding out the weak. I heard this from a coworker. Maybe this has been discussed before, but it's the first time I've heard it.
tmaddox4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
It could be argued that's a natural way of population control and limited overpopulation of species. Homosexuality has been observed in a number of animals and not just among primates.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
I'm a little angel

Member # 4395
Send a message via ICQ to Entropy Send a message via AIM to Entropy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaddox4x4 View Post
First off I'm not a bigot, I don't care who you want to be with. I'm not a religious man and believe if gay people want to marry and be a miserable as the rest, more power to you. That being said I heard and interesting theory today.

If being born gay is biological then by nature's laws you can not procreate. Being born gay is evolution's way of weeding out the weak. I heard this from a coworker. Maybe this has been discussed before, but it's the first time I've heard it.
If that logic is accurate, then kids dying of cancer are also nature's evolutionary fallout.
...the vagina is a warm, moist and tropical area.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 23507
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaddox4x4 View Post

Yet they can...there is nothing keeping them from procreating. They may be attracted to the same gender, but their reproductive organs function the same....and as long as the stigma is there, many create families before admitting to themselves they are gay.

I get what you are saying, but I tend to look at homosexuality no different then other abnormalities in the human population. I don't believe it's a mental issue, but more with a developmental issue in the fetus....it could even be something like a recessive gene. Which is also why it continues to happen throughout time...and it isn't "weeded out"

Last edited by pike2350; 06-23-2017 at 12:03 PM.
pike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
If that logic is accurate, then kids dying of cancer are also nature's evolutionary fallout.
Sad but true.

The need for eyeglasses is much more prevalent than in the past. Probably because all the near sighted Neanderthals got eaten by sabertooth cats they could not see.

Same with Peanut allergies.

Our modern society is altering "natural selection" Many of the things that should kill us, do not, currently. Some of this makes for weak genes or predisposition towards illnesses for the next generation.

Last edited by Johann; 06-23-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 86724
no fucks given.

they can adopt all the unwanted pro life children they want.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
Quote:
As unpleasant as it is you're not wrong. Cancer, disease, ect are all necessary for naturally regulating populations.

And before anyone spins it that way, no I don't think it's a good thing. It fucking sucks that kids to go through that, that parents have to lose kids to it, ect, but it's a natural part of life and sometimes that just sucks.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Homosexuality is a sexual preference for persons of the same gender and is not directly linked to an evolutionary desire to procreate. Evolution does not work on individuals in the sense of predicting which person will be 'weak' and turning on a gay switch before they are born.

Transgenderism arises from fetal development. Estrogen does - not only doses, but the timing of them in the womb - determine whether a person will physically identify as a male or female, independent of the fetus's gender.

Homosexuality and transgenderism are not the same thing.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
It could be argued that's a natural way of population control and limited overpopulation of species. Homosexuality has been observed in a number of animals and not just among primates.
Pretty much my take on it all right there. We look to nature and science and see example after example of exactly that.

It solves the biological drive to "fuck" without the end result of baby.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 377
I don't think he understands how genetics works. There's recessive traits, polygenic traits, multiple allele traits etc., etc. Most traits aren't driven by simple dominance heredity. They're far more complicated and we're only beginning to understand many of them. That's without even getting into the whole nature vs. nurture debate.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Yup. One of the big reasons we have over population is modern medicine. Before it's advent the earth's population grew at a much slower rate than it has in the last century. Homosexuality isn't doing much at present to slow that growth down.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Except that I believe most cancers are man made from the crap we're exposed to. The crap that's put on and in our food along its chain until you eat it. Chemicals were exspode to in all sorts of things we do in life. Hell, look at the make up women put on their face everyday. Who knows if that could contribute to breast cancer. Radiation exposure from nuke bomb testing here during WWII etc etc.

Oh, and chemtrails... can't forget about those.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Furthermore, there is a definite evolutionary connection to homosexuality. Back when humans fist appeared we were a hunter-gatherer society. The women stayed back to raise the children and the men were out hunting. It is natural that homosexuality would arise.

Social evolution occurs orders of magnitude faster than biological evolution. Organized religion and other things came on the scene that branded homosexuality a sin and a crime even though this reality was still part of our human situation.

Always tip.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I think it's more likely that homosexuality has always been prevalent and is becoming more well know now because of social stigma. 100 years ago, you'd be beaten to death or disowned by your family for being gay. In many countries, prison sentences were given to those found to be homosexual.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Except that I believe most cancers are man made from the crap we're exposed to. The crap that's put on and in our food along its chain until you eat it. Chemicals were exspode to in all sorts of things we do in life. Hell, look at the make up women put on their face everyday. Who knows if that could contribute to breast cancer. Radiation exposure from nuke bomb testing here during WWII etc etc.

I'm not saying that chemical exposure doesn't play a role in cancer, hell it's a proven risk factor for many cancers. But, I don't think it plays much of a role in child cancers. Just not enough time for that exposure to create a majorly increased risk.

I think the "increase" in cancer is largely due to longer lifespans and better medicine. 100 years ago, that old man just got old and wasted away and died. Today, we realize that old man developed colon cancer.

Lots of factors involved in cancer from genetics to environmental risk factors to just plain old chance.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Furthermore, there is a definite evolutionary connection to homosexuality. Back when humans fist appeared we were a hunter-gatherer society. The women stayed back to raise the children and the men were out hunting. It is natural that homosexuality would arise.

Social evolution occurs orders of magnitude faster than biological evolution. Organized religion and other things came on the scene that branded homosexuality a sin and a crime even though this reality was still part of our human situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
I think it's more likely that homosexuality has always been prevalent and is becoming more well know now because of social stigma. 100 years ago, you'd be beaten to death or disowned by your family for being gay. In many countries, prison sentences were given to those found to be homosexual.
Agreed.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
A good rule of thumb is 3-10% of the population, that is about what we see in nature. Well other than some odd places like Big Horn Sheep where you see almost 60% homosexuality among the males of the population.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
A good rule of thumb is 3-10% of the population, that is about what we see in nature. Well other than some odd places like Big Horn Sheep where you see almost 60% homosexuality among the males of the population.
So what you're saying is that big horn sheep are the Catholic priests of the animal kingdom?

Okay, I'll go ahead and see myself out now...
Old 06-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Furthermore, there is a definite evolutionary connection to homosexuality. Back when humans fist appeared we were a hunter-gatherer society.
Freud, party of one!?
Old 06-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 108799
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
So what you're saying is that big horn sheep are the Catholic priests of the animal kingdom?

Okay, I'll go ahead and see myself out now...
Lol, that's funny shit

Last edited by tmaddox4x4; 06-23-2017 at 12:32 PM.
tmaddox4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozuki View Post
Freud, party of one!?
LOL, that's pretty funny. Been having trouble with the 'r' on my keyboad. (See?)

Pressing it sometimes gives no 'r' and at other times gives two.

I've pulled the cap and cleaned well but the problem perrsists. (See?)

Always tip.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
I'm a little angel

Member # 4395
Send a message via ICQ to Entropy Send a message via AIM to Entropy
Quote:

And if we lived in a society that exalted homosexuality and only used heterosexuality for procreation, then homosexuals would thrive.

Evolution would still play a role - as some children do not die of cancer when exposed to the same man-made environment. Evolution still plays a part.

More interestingly, because this debate is pointless and boring: why haven't midgets revolted and taken over? They are far more efficient, use less resources (smaller houses, smaller cars, less fuel, less food), and they're hilarious when they walk around. I think it is a missed opportunity for evolution. Someone should write a letter.
...the vagina is a warm, moist and tropical area.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
Sad but true.

The need for eyeglasses is much more prevalent than in the past. Probably because all the near sighted Neanderthals got eaten by sabertooth cats they could not see.
Lol. No.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
I'm not saying that chemical exposure doesn't play a role in cancer, hell it's a proven risk factor for many cancers. But, I don't think it plays much of a role in child cancers. Just not enough time for that exposure to create a majorly increased risk.

I think the "increase" in cancer is largely due to longer lifespans and better medicine. 100 years ago, that old man just got old and wasted away and died. Today, we realize that old man developed colon cancer.

Lots of factors involved in cancer from genetics to environmental risk factors to just plain old chance.
BS. They were exposed to it in their mothers womb during the critical time of their development.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
BS. They were exposed to it in their mothers womb during the critical time of their development.
Quick to call BS, but I doubt you'll be coming back with any real evidence minus your own confirmation bias.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in