Kid that holds breath until passing out? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 199544
*cough* munchausen by proxy *cough*
det107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by flecker View Post
Yup, same here... my sisters kid is golden after the first encounter like that.

OP's kid is 1 and a half... far to young to really comprehend whats happening on any real level. Give it time, I am sure it's scary... you will cope. She will get to a point that she grows out of it.

Kids do some strange shizzle.
It's worse than scary. Brings tears to your eyes the first couple time. My first experience with it was in Kentucky in a cabin on vacation. She fell off a cooler, hit her head and cried harder than ever for about 30 seconds and passed out. I about flipped, but had 4 other family members (3 older kids and wife) watching, so i had to suck it up and be the rock....hard as fuck to do with a lifeless baby in your arms they say she will grow out of it though.

Kids are bat shit crazy when it comes down to it, but they're kids who need to figure it all out in a short time. Nowadays most people won't let their kids figure it out, and that's where our society is failing imo.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 60349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
Even the neurologist said not to worry too much, unless she turns colors. It should only last 30 seconds tops.

You're right about patting them on the back, it's got to be an upward thrust motion. My disclaimer is that i haven't had a cpr class in a very very long time. Placement of the hand on the chest is crucial, and i suppose i should sign up for one asap. My wife and i have been talking about taking one. Time to put it on the schedule i guess.
Good info on the turning colors. So far, she hasn't zonked out for more than a second.

Like I said, I've been through a lot of medical training in the last year (just in case you need a tourniquet or needle decompression, I'm your guy), but haven't reviewed kid stuff in a while. I may sign up for a class too.

My buddy, an ER doc, taught me how to patch them up with DermaBond (or Gorilla Glue) with a brush. Saved us a couple trips to urgent care for stitches.

Quote:
I'm glad we're on the same page.

As for disciplining children, my sil has a problem cold, but won't discipline. He gets around me or my wife (when his mom isn't around of course) and he knows we won't take his shit, so he's a good kid around us lol.
She got away with a lot while I was gone (8 months) as the wife was dealing with 4 kids on her own. It wasn't zero disciple, just less than the others. That said, a lot of this is just her personality as well. She truly is an asshole. Also, she's the first kid that digs in her diaper... We have to be on that shit ASAP, pun really not intended.
ndsgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 60349
Quote:
It's worse than scary. Brings tears to your eyes the first couple time. My first experience with it was in Kentucky in a cabin on vacation. She fell off a cooler, hit her head and cried harder than ever for about 30 seconds and passed out. I about flipped, but had 4 other family members (3 older kids and wife) watching, so i had to suck it up and be the rock....hard as fuck to do with a lifeless baby in your arms they say she will grow out of it though.

Kids are bat shit crazy when it comes down to it, but they're kids who need to figure it all out in a short time. Nowadays most people won't let their kids figure it out, and that's where our society is failing imo.
It's mostly the fact that I feel completely helpless. I can't fix this. My wife calls me over to help, and I fill the role of being calm and collected. Inside, I'm freaked the fuck out.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsgr View Post
Good info on the turning colors. So far, she hasn't zonked out for more than a second.

Like I said, I've been through a lot of medical training in the last year (just in case you need a tourniquet or needle decompression, I'm your guy), but haven't reviewed kid stuff in a while. I may sign up for a class too.

My buddy, an ER doc, taught me how to patch them up with DermaBond (or Gorilla Glue) with a brush. Saved us a couple trips to urgent care for stitches.

She got away with a lot while I was gone (8 months) as the wife was dealing with 4 kids on her own. It wasn't zero disciple, just less than the others. That said, a lot of this is just her personality as well. She truly is an asshole. Also, she's the first kid that digs in her diaper... We have to be on that shit ASAP, pun really not intended.
The shit thingI've heard of it, but no experience. Gotta be shitty to deal with. I've been lucky though, my kids (while under 13) have all had pretty darn good behavior. Teenagers are a different animal thoughpun intended
Moms are Def easier on little ones then men are.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 6359
See the fuckwad penis in the kill cat thread.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #32 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
It's mostly the fact that I feel completely helpless. I can't fix this. My wife calls me over to help, and I fill the role of being calm and collected. Inside, I'm freaked the fuck out.
You and me both my friend, you and me both. I don't know how any parent deals with the death of a child, i could not. I have mad respect for anyone that can keep their lives straight after something like that, and feel incredibly sympathetic to anyone that loses everything after. I would be a wreck.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
If you watch kids out of the side of your eye, it's halaious to see them fall and look around to see if anyone saw them. If they see anyone that saw them, they start bawling, if not, they just go about their day.
Buddy from work said the exact same thing. I was over helping him with his pickup and his kid yardsaled on the sidewalk behind us but we pretended not to notice. Just got back up and kept on cruising down the sidewalk
Old 07-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
If you watch kids out of the side of your eye, it's halaious to see them fall and look around to see if anyone saw them. If they see anyone that saw them, they start bawling, if not, they just go about their day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peow130 View Post
Buddy from work said the exact same thing. I was over helping him with his pickup and his kid yardsaled on the sidewalk behind us but we pretended not to notice. Just got back up and kept on cruising down the sidewalk
Yup, certain situations you ignore them, certain situations you nurture them. The problem is that most parents today can't discern which is which, so you get nurture every time they make a noise, this creating millennials
Old 07-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #35 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Quote:
Yup, certain situations you ignore them, certain situations you nurture them. The problem is that most parents today can't discern which is which, so you get nurture every time they make a noise, this creating millennials

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 67681
I had one that did this. I would blow in her mouth. It worked. As for the hitting and fit throwing. I beat my kids. They don't do that crap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 60349
Quote:
Moms are Def easier on little ones then men are.
I don't know for our situation. I think it's mostly just different. Depending on the offense, I'll usually just drop with them for pushups or burpies. Mom will beat their asses faster than I will. I'm not opposed and will as well on occasion, but I figure if I can do something that benefits them physically as well, win-win. Overall, my kids are really well behaved, but I recognize that they need play time or I have to be on them a lot - which sucks for all of us. Even #4 listens... she just figures out loop holes.

As an aside, my oldest is one of the few in her class that can make it 50 yards in the wheel barrow race and #2 kicks ass on the monkey bars.

Easiest way to cure pain in my experience is to say playtime is over, time for bed. Pure fucking magic.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
I had one that did this. I would blow in her mouth. It worked. As for the hitting and fit throwing. I beat my kids. They don't do that crap.
Would she snap out of it if you dumped a cup of ice water on her? Face probably isn't a good idea, maybe chest or stomach.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
I don't know for our situation. I think it's mostly just different. Depending on the offense, I'll usually just drop with them for pushups or burpies. Mom will beat their asses faster than I will. I'm not opposed and will as well on occasion, but I figure if I can do something that benefits them physically as well, win-win. Overall, my kids are really well behaved, but I recognize that they need play time or I have to be on them a lot - which sucks for all of us. Even #4 listens... she just figures out loop holes.

As an aside, my oldest is one of the few in her class that can make it 50 yards in the wheel barrow race and #2 kicks ass on the monkey bars.

Easiest way to cure pain in my experience is to say playtime is over, time for bed. Pure fucking magic.
I hope that your little one is not the same breed as my middle brother. He was pure hell on my parents. His pain tolerance is off the charts. Spanking never worked. Hell, nothing worked.

rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 60349
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
She doesn't throw all out fits as it doesn't get her anything; she's just mean. She plays with other kids by slapping them. She's getting better as she's starting to understand why she's being disciplined. They all get their fair share of ass beatings. I can't stand undisciplined kids and get irritated by their parents more, especially when they start whining about how their kids run their house.

I didn't mean to give the impression that she's undisciplined. She is just a prick.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #41 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:

I should have said in my experience
Spanking isn't the only way to discipline. I think you're on the right track with physical labor over pain. My 2 older kids are swimmers and soccer players. They can usually outlast the other kids in their classes when it comes to stamina. Most of their friends have no rules when it comes to video games and internet play. My #3 is smart (line the others) but less physical when it comes to sports, but she is very regulated on video games and Internet use like the older 2. She just loves playing board games and being creative more than she likes sports. Our 4 th loves physical games, and being creative as well. She seems like she may be our most active. Might be the most intelligent too, can count to 13 proficiently, and does her ABC right along with you at only 2 1/2 years old.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Quote:
She doesn't throw all out fits as it doesn't get her anything; she's just mean. She plays with other kids by slapping them. She's getting better as she's starting to understand why she's being disciplined. They all get their fair share of ass beatings. I can't stand undisciplined kids and get irritated by their parents more, especially when they start whining about how their kids run their house.

I didn't mean to give the impression that she's undisciplined. She is just a prick.
Totally get it man... it isn't always the parents. Some kids just require more work than others, and some are just little shits. They just come that way, nothing to do with the parents... they always get the wrap, but it truly is NOT the parents fault.

I have a nephew that was raised right by his parents. I saw the upbringing. The kid is good but has issues.... like fukwad penis issues.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #43 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoads View Post
Would she snap out of it if you dumped a cup of ice water on her? Face probably isn't a good idea, maybe chest or stomach.
Probably a bad idea, shocking her awake is not likely what is needed. Beside the fact that if she's out for 30 seconds, you have to prepare a cup of ice water. Could you do it in less than 30 seconds
Old 07-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #44 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by flecker View Post
Totally get it man... it isn't always the parents. Some kids just require more work than others, and some are just little shits. They just come that way, nothing to do with the parents... they always get the wrap, but it truly is NOT the parents fault.

I have a nephew that was raised right by his parents. I saw the upbringing. The kid is good but has issues.... like fukwad penis issues.
Exactly, the brain works in different ways in different people. It's the coddling that fucks kids up. My other sil is a total bitch, she was coddled her whole life, and at 34 her parents are taking care of her and her illegitimate child even though she has a full time teaching job (yup she's a fucking teacher) and part time Internet teaching jobs, they still pay for literally everything because she has retarded spending habits. She had lived with them for over a year, and it's getting worse. She expects her parents to take care of her child about 8 hours of the day, even if she's home. Btw, her daughter acts EXACTLY like her, but our kids are always at fault if her kid doesn't veer her way and my kids are around i can't stand being around any of them anymore....
Old 07-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 253146
Sounds to me that she is suffering from some anxiety issues. With the silent screaming and the lack of O2 getting to her and then passing out. Once she passes out does her body go back to breathing normally or do you have to take charge and get her breathing again (the blowing in the face)? I would seriously look into some of the brain mapping technology they have now (its tough to get it though).

Im not a advocate for meds, but they do have some out there that will help with 'tudes and anxiety. My son is on a low, low dose of Gabapentin (4 mg) and Abilify (2mg). I dont suggest the Gabapentin, but the Abilify helps him get through the day. Of course this child was adopted out of foster care so we face some way different issues. If you do go this route, make sure you can trust your Dr. and make sure they are not just a pill pusher (yes, they are out there). My son's Dr. is not one to just give a pill to "calm them down". We have been seeing him for a long time and he recognizes that he does actually have a problem.

Most times I would just agree that let her pass out, as she should start breathing on her own, but have seen some really bazaar behaviors out of some really messed up kids (foster care) sometimes they are doing it out of attention seeking, sometimes its because of some really messed up . suppressed fears, sometimes they are just plain assholes. Its takes a lot to figure out exactly which category they fall into,

I feel for ya. Im there a lot. And understand where your at. Hang in there.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #46 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
I think you missed about 2/3 of the posts in this thread. It's not attention seeking, it's not on purpose at all....you should read more @BLOODBANE
Old 07-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODBANE View Post
Sounds to me that she is suffering from some anxiety issues.....

Oh, Geebus, here comes the helicopter parent with his employer's fat medical card, lookin' for drugs to disipline his children.

That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #48 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
I think you missed about 2/3 of the posts in this thread. It's not attention seeking, it's not on purpose at all....you should read more @BLOODBANE
Unfortunately, the thread title is really misleading.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #49 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Anyway, now it's a re-occurring thing. Every time she really hurts herself, she silent screams her way into unconsciousness; usually after hitting her head. My MIL was a nurse and started doing some research and making phone calls. Apparently, this is not a really uncommon thing. The trick is to make them lay down and blow into their face. Still a trip watching their eyes roll back. My wife has a mini-breakdown every time it happens.

Anyone else have these issues? We will talk to her doc about getting an MRI this week, but we're pretty confident that it will not show anything abnormal.
The blowing into their face trick is an old one. You do it for any kid that's lost their breath. I did it with my oldest when she silent screamed (which she did after hurting herself by tripping or something.) She didn't pull the other shenanigans though. My youngest however doesn't silent scream and is a complete PITA.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

- Darlington County Chapter

Last edited by Haole; 07-09-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
What about a firm pat on the back? Like when someone's choking?

That would seem like it would "break" the trance.

I dunno. Haven't had lil' kids in decades.
Umm, no. Blow in their face. It works. Every. Single. Time.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in