Learning to weld in Atlanta? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Learning to weld in Atlanta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon2006 View Post
Huge fan of this as a WO... I would not be where I am now without the military (working on my doctoral degree.)

Not sure if the street to seat WOFT is still open, but it could be. He will need to find a good recruiter in order to get the packet done. It is a ton of work and very very hard for a civilian to be accepted.

That being said, 4 years active duty for someone who doesn't know what he wants to do is a great opportunity to learn, grow and experience things that will make him more rounded. Choose a job he is interested in and will pay a decent salary post service and he will be set. If not maybe the years will help guide him and the Post 9/11 GI bill is great for paying for school, college/trade school.

The street to seat is still active according to the recruiter
Recruiter Says he's only done two street to seat WOFT and they both got in

He's a trades guy
No interest in a office job
But I told him when he gets my age
He will be tired of working outside and sitting in a cushy chair in an air conditioned building looks better and better
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd

Last edited by roundhouse; 07-25-2017 at 07:23 PM.
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
That's a nice picture of some fellow union ironworkers and all but..... the op didn't say he was looking for pictures of people cutting with a torch......

And there isn't really a "card" that lets you go weld whatever. There is a different certification for each welding process. Ironworkers generally have 5 basic certifications that will allow them to do 50-75% of what's needed.
I think we have a thread for this.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 626234
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
He's a trades guy
No interest in a office job
But I told him when he gets my age
He will be tired of working outside and sitting in a cushy chair in an air conditioned building looks better and better

That's the beautiful thing about being a lineman, at least within a utility. There's tons of management positions available that they usually progress into.
Chuck-the-ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2017, 08:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-the-ripper View Post
That's the beautiful thing about being a lineman, at least within a utility. There's tons of management positions available that they usually progress into.

Bet you gotta have a college degree to move into cushy management jobs

Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
Old 07-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 774521
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
That's a nice picture of some fellow union ironworkers and all but..... the op didn't say he was looking for pictures of people cutting with a torch......

And there isn't really a "card" that lets you go weld whatever. There is a different certification for each welding process. Ironworkers generally have 5 basic certifications that will allow them to do 50-75% of what's needed.

But who wants to be an Iron Head?
hseII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2017, 11:34 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:

got a little Lincoln promig 140
get him an AC buzzbox and a can of 6011s
AC because you need to pay attention to arc length

a hot glue gun isn't how you learn to direct a puddle
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2017, 11:52 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
Getting burned out working 65-75 hour weeks and he's only 19???? Shit he wouldn't make it as a welder for long
Old 07-26-2017, 01:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
Lurking since 1956

Member # 1041
Send a message via MSN to papee Send a message via Yahoo to papee
If he's interested in welding get him to watch videos on different materials, fillers, and processes. A good welder can teach him the mechanics in a day or two. I suggest learning a little stick first because if he starts with mig he won't want to take the time to learn stick.

95 YJ 4.0 HO
Mildly modded
Yes I still wheel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
papee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 02:14 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 626234
Quote:
Bet you gotta have a college degree to move into cushy management jobs

4 years active duty Army, and a 16 mo long associate degree from a trade school. I wouldn't really consider that a degree per se.
Chuck-the-ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 AM   #35 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Getting burned out working 65-75 hour weeks and he's only 19???? Shit he wouldn't make it as a welder for long

I been trying to tell him that every job, no matter what it is , gets old after a while

And that he ought to keep working where he's at
He's making about $1000 a week before taxes

That he could Live at home with us for another three years on the requirement that he save 90% of his paycheck

In three years he would have $100-150K in the bank

That would make a decent 20% down payment on a small half million dollar apartment complex and then he's not gonna have to work very hard ever again

74Bronco EFI 5spd

Last edited by roundhouse; 07-26-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 127163
Quote:
I wanna see him get a college degree, there are so many jobs that are not open to people who dont have degrees,
if you dont have a degree, the only way youre ever going to make any money is open your own business, cause youre not going to even get an interview for any good paying jobs.

Find an engineering program at a local community college where he can take classes on this stuff. Programming, machining, welding, etc. Once he does a few years of classes, he might find something he really wants to focus on long term. Then get him in a specialized engineering program at a larger school and get that degree.

I got my BS in mechanical engineering, but I went on the basic track and mainly took all the required classes. I don't think it helped me much more than getting the degree and allowing me to get paid a lot more than I would have just going to a trade school. I think I could have learned more doing a trade, honestly. Now at 30 working for the govt, I'm making far more than people without degrees that have 25-30 years of experience.

If he goes to a 4 yr school, since the kid likes cars, get involved in Formula or Baja SAE from the get go. Find out who the faculty advisor is and go talk to him about joining up right away. I didn't get started in Baja until my senior year, but I learned they were recruiting from freshman year and I just never knew. This was the only class I really liked in college, enough to go to the shop and work until 1-2 in the morning after my normal class load multiple times a week. Our shop had a mill and lathe, a big fancy TIG/MIG welder, every auto type tool you can think of, a small dyno, and a few CNC machines, and this was 10 years ago. He'll work with sponsors from big auto/tool/mechanical companies that he can get an in for a job after school.

Search the schools around your area, most of them have a specific SAE website like this one: GT Motorsports Even some of the smaller schools like Georgia Southern and Kennesaw state have teams.

My suggestion is to go with Baja if he likes trucks and offroading, they build an offroad buggy type car. The team is much more relaxed than Formula, who builds a road race car. Formula is far more technical, which he may like, but I had a lot more fun on Baja than I would have on stuffy Formula. I also got to drive in the competition, which I never would have on FSAE because of my size.

Last edited by dcorn; 07-26-2017 at 07:20 AM.
dcorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 4554
Send a message via AIM to bluesman2a
Gwinnett Tech has a pretty good welding program from what I hear, you can get a degree with professional certs too. There was a young kid from the FSJ world that went through it a couple years back and he seems to have done well for himself.

There is also Kubota in Gainesville and Catepillar in Athens/Bogart. Both hire a lot of welders. I know a retired military guy who got hired on at Kubota, he was a hobbiest welder and they trained him to their specifications.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:41 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 81613
Steamfitters union in Pittsburgh is looking for 450 welders for the upcoming shell cracker plant, they will train.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 07:24 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman2a View Post
Gwinnett Tech has a pretty good welding program from what I hear, you can get a degree with professional certs too. There was a young kid from the FSJ world that went through it a couple years back and he seems to have done well for himself.

There is also Kubota in Gainesville and Catepillar in Athens/Bogart. Both hire a lot of welders. I know a retired military guy who got hired on at Kubota, he was a hobbiest welder and they trained him to their specifications.
Working for Cat is a good career.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #40 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
I been trying to tell him that every job, no matter what it is , gets old after a while

And that he ought to keep working where he's at
He's making about $1000 a week before taxes

That he could Live at home with us for another three years on the requirement that he save 90% of his paycheck

In three years he would have $100-150K in the bank

That would make a decent 20% down payment on a small half million dollar apartment complex and then he's not gonna have to work very hard ever again

That is a pretty good plan honestly if you can support him through it what with living with y'all.

After a decade he'd have a pretty good idea of what he wants to do and pay somebody a small wage and free rent to maintain the place if he wants to be other places. HVAC is probably the best feeder industry to property management.

tell him to suck it up while he is young and can still function on 3 hours sleep see if you can convince him to put 90% of his paycheck into a separate account/investment account to sit until he is ready to make a single big buy to keep his pockets cool

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #41 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
hell, he can always join the military later on in life if he wants, no need to do when 19 years old

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
Working for Cat is a good career.
I bet the layoffs suck.
southernfriedcj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #43 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
That is a pretty good plan honestly if you can support him through it what with living with y'all.

After a decade he'd have a pretty good idea of what he wants to do and pay somebody a small wage and free rent to maintain the place if he wants to be other places. HVAC is probably the best feeder industry to property management.

tell him to suck it up while he is young and can still function on 3 hours sleep see if you can convince him to put 90% of his paycheck into a separate account/investment account to sit until he is ready to make a single big buy to keep his pockets cool

He's a good kid and I kinda like having him around

Don't mind paying for his groceries and cell phone (was paying for that at college ) if he will save 90% of his paycheck for a down payment on an apartment complex or something

74Bronco EFI 5spd
Old 08-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Quote:
if he will save 90% of his paycheck for a down payment on an apartment complex or something

Damn, gonna make him buy the whole complex?
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 80248
I think the Jody guy from weldingtipsandtricks on youtube is based out of Atlanta. Not sure if he works with apprentices but that would be a hell of a guy to learn from.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman2a View Post
There is also Kubota in Gainesville and Catepillar in Athens/Bogart.
Cat is in Athens Herb.

It was in Bogart, but the assholes at Cat decided they liked an Athens address better. They had it changed to Athens which changed my address(and that of my businesses) from Bogart to Watkinsville. Needless to say, Cat can suck my long fat cock.

Fuck Cat and their overpriced yellow shit.

I'll stick with overpriced orange shit from now on. Looks much cooler too.
southernfriedcj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBuilt View Post
Damn, gonna make him buy the whole complex?

Yes

Be the landlord
Not the renter

Already found a 8 house package for $575k that grosses $72K and would clear $28k a year after Maint , taxes, payment , and 8% of the net for capital improvements

Just needs $60-60K for a 10% down payment
20% down is better to avoid PMI

74Bronco EFI 5spd

Last edited by roundhouse; 08-06-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfriedcj8 View Post
Cat is in Athens Herb.

It was in Bogart, but the assholes at Cat decided they liked an Athens address better. They had it changed to Athens which changed my address(and that of my businesses) from Bogart to Watkinsville. Needless to say, Cat can suck my long fat cock.

Fuck Cat and their overpriced yellow shit.

I'll stick with overpriced orange shit from now on. Looks much cooler too.

Same thing in Smyrna / Marietta near Cumberland mall Galleria

It's miles outside of the city of Atlanta in Cobb county but they have an Atlanta address so all the businesses there will have an "Atlanta " mail ok address

74Bronco EFI 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in