Harbor Freight Generators - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 166307
It is loud as #$%&-+
Might be ok for home use, should be banned in campsites

Aint no honda\yamaha but for occasional use... but' for the $$$ it's ok I guess.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #52 (permalink)
Flying Aardvark

Member # 62972
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
Do you ground your generator? I was going through the manual and it states it needs grounded via a rod at least 24". I have been to camp over the years and never seen anyone ground their generator. The take it out, fire it up, and connect shit. I will probably do so anyways but curious about this.
Nope. Just ran an extension cord in thru a window and plug the pellet stove in.
If it was a more permanent setup I probably would.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman View Post
I have the 3500 predator inverter generator (HF 63584). It is really quiet, and will run our travel trailer air conditioner. It will run about 7 hours on 2.5 gallons of gas, with the A/C cycling about 30% on and 70% off, to maintain temperature.
Bump since it's easier than starting a new thread...

Any problems running the AC off the generator on the hottest days in Texas? I'm about to buy one of the 3500 "quiet" generators that weights 100 pounds for my trailer AC since it's a less expensive option than two 2,000-2300 watt inverter generators with a parallel kit. I've heard a few in campsites and I'd put them on the same "noise level" as other inverter generators.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post

Any problems running the AC off the generator on the hottest days in Texas? I'm about to buy one of the 3500 "quiet" generators that weights 100 pounds for my trailer AC since it's a less expensive option than two 2,000-2300 watt inverter generators with a parallel kit. I've heard a few in campsites and I'd put them on the same "noise level" as other inverter generators.
I was up in Silverton, CO and my buddy had a rented Predator 3500 quiet generator and it ran the AC just fine and stayed quiet. It wasn't super hot outside but we were at 9700 feet and the air is quite thin there. I was impressed.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #55 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
I copied this design for the generator we take to the track that is an old coleman from the 1970's that we nicknamed the earbleed 4000. It made a huge difference. Plus the fumes are not in your face since the generator is mounted on the nose of the trailer. I never did a decibel test but I would say it's half as loud.

Last edited by MattS; 08-08-2019 at 10:45 AM.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #56 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18977
Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Quote:

I have had most all of the inverters at one point in time. Honda EU2000, EU3000, Yamaha 2k unit (still have it), and the Predator 3500. I have about 500 hours on my 3500 and I love it. Around the 400 hour mark, it died on me out of nowhere. I remember reading somewhere about the exhaust getting plugged up from carbon, I took the end piece off (two 8mm bolts, takes all of 2 seconds). Took out the little spark arrestor screen thing, and yep, it was plugged up solid. Cleaned it out with brake cleaner and running like new again. Super awesome to be able to see the draw load on it at any given time. One of the roller wheels will rattle (the one that locks) if it's not wedged in the ground properly (extremely common) because it's on uneven blacktop or something. you have to lock the wheel, then drag the genny a few inches to prevent the wheel lock from rattling.

Other than that, it's been an awesome buy.

It's a respect issue. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Would you tell your Grandmother to go suck a big black cock, just because you could? [/QUOTE]
Otto Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 110475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
I have had most all of the inverters at one point in time. Honda EU2000, EU3000, Yamaha 2k unit (still have it), and the Predator 3500. I have about 500 hours on my 3500 and I love it. Around the 400 hour mark, it died on me out of nowhere. I remember reading somewhere about the exhaust getting plugged up from carbon, I took the end piece off (two 8mm bolts, takes all of 2 seconds). Took out the little spark arrestor screen thing, and yep, it was plugged up solid. Cleaned it out with brake cleaner and running like new again. Super awesome to be able to see the draw load on it at any given time. One of the roller wheels will rattle (the one that locks) if it's not wedged in the ground properly (extremely common) because it's on uneven blacktop or something. you have to lock the wheel, then drag the genny a few inches to prevent the wheel lock from rattling.

Other than that, it's been an awesome buy.
The metal collar that locks the wheel rattles on mine unless you lock the wheel, then its quiet.

I love my 3500 for the price. Its quiet and it sips gas. So far we've only used it 4 times or so to power our slide in camper and 4 bank boat battery charger, but it will run all night without fail. No A/C on the camper...yet. Will be a good test then as well.

When you get them run them for an hour and then change the oil. Lots of metal particles will be in it. Should be good to go after that to do changes at normal intervals.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #58 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
A few friends have the Predator 3500, it's not that loud to be around.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 28563
Send a message via AIM to YJgirl Send a message via Yahoo to YJgirl
Harbor Freight Generators:

No, they won't run your RV/Camper AC without tripping a circuit. Especially if you run a 50amp plug. If you get a smaller unit from HF the volts on the breaker are less than on a Honda. You can make a HF generator work if you do some rewiring and swap out a circuit breaker...but what's the point. You bought it to not work on it.

It will run your RV microwave, at less power than normal.

I bought a HF generator because my Honda 5000 would not start last year... I had it plugged into my Work & Play trailer. I took back the HF because it kept tripping the circuit breaker on it and then got to the point it would just start and run but no power output at all.

It will be loud. If you are using it camping, you better like your neighbors because you will piss them off. For the love of god don't take it to KOH, or if you do, go camp at moon rocks, not Means.

Harbor Freight Coupons:
Those with Android phones do a google search for Harbor Freight Coupon App. They are not in the App store because HF complained. The apps have the coupons loaded from across the country, and my not be offered from your HF, but are still valid. One of them even lets you scan a barcode to find a coupon for the product.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJgirl View Post

No, they won't run your RV/Camper AC without tripping a circuit. Especially if you run a 50amp plug. If you get a smaller unit from HF the volts on the breaker are less than on a Honda. You can make a HF generator work if you do some rewiring and swap out a circuit breaker...but what's the point. You bought it to not work on it.

It will run your RV microwave, at less power than normal.

I bought a HF generator because my Honda 5000 would not start last year... I had it plugged into my Work & Play trailer. I took back the HF because it kept tripping the circuit breaker on it and then got to the point it would just start and run but no power output at all.

It will be loud. If you are using it camping, you better like your neighbors because you will piss them off. For the love of god don't take it to KOH, or if you do, go camp at moon rocks, not Means.
which model did you get??

i picked up a predator 3500 a couple months ago and it was plenty quiet

i wouldnt feel bad using it at an RV park let alone at KOH

i only have a small toyhauler but no breaker problems with this model

arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #61 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
So last year my dad made what i thought was a stupid internet purchase. He bought a used light plant with a little Kubota diesel in it. Turns that this is a awesome little genset. Take the damn lights off of it and just use it as a tow behind generator.

I have been using it to dewater a pit of mine to run 2 2Ē submersible pumps. Itís funny because one Monday I go down there and go oh shit I forgot the genset was still running. It ran from thursday afternoon to Monday morning on about 30 gallons of fuel. I love it super quiet fuel efficient, has a marathon generator on it.

From now on this is gonna be my route for small 120/240 single phase gensets. Iím done withs stupid gas small engine stuff.
Thepanzerfuhrer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
I was up in Silverton, CO and my buddy had a rented Predator 3500 quiet generator and it ran the AC just fine and stayed quiet. It wasn't super hot outside but we were at 9700 feet and the air is quite thin there. I was impressed.
Quote:

No, they won't run your RV/Camper AC without tripping a circuit. Especially if you run a 50amp plug. If you get a smaller unit from HF the volts on the breaker are less than on a Honda.

I think you're thinking of the non inverter generators that were super loud.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 28563
Send a message via AIM to YJgirl Send a message via Yahoo to YJgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by arickvan View Post
which model did you get??

i picked up a predator 3500 a couple months ago and it was plenty quiet

i wouldnt feel bad using it at an RV park let alone at KOH

i only have a small toyhauler but no breaker problems with this model

I got the 6500 because I knew I needed max watts for the AC unit to work. It didn't.

The Predator 3500 is a quite generator, but still louder than a Honda. Just check the volts on the breaker. It may have the 13.3v breaker which means most of your RV stuff will pop the breaker (microwave depending on what it is, and the AC unit).

I have a friend that uses the 4375 when dry camping. Its loud. We have to build a wall around it if it runs at night to deflect the noise. He also had to rewire a few things to make it work, but he had to rewire. I don't see the point of buying something brand new you expect to work and having to rewire it to make it work when the Honda was just a few bucks more and it does work out of the box.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Quote:
I got the 6500 because I knew I needed max watts for the AC unit to work. It didn't.

The Predator 3500 is a quite generator, but still louder than a Honda. Just check the volts on the breaker. It may have the 13.3v breaker which means most of your RV stuff will pop the breaker (microwave depending on what it is, and the AC unit).

I have a friend that uses the 4375 when dry camping. Its loud. We have to build a wall around it if it runs at night to deflect the noise. He also had to rewire a few things to make it work, but he had to rewire. I don't see the point of buying something brand new you expect to work and having to rewire it to make it work when the Honda was just a few bucks more and it does work out of the box.
huh...

its got a 30 amp hookup (which is plenty for my little toyhauler) and its more than half the price of the honda
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 51775
Quote:

No problems. Ran it for a few days at N. Padre Island Natl. Seashore last year, and it was pretty hot. A/C ran most of the time, if we weren't outside, as we do not like to open the windows when parked on the sand.
As for the weight, it is heavy, but my wife and I can get it in the back of a 3/4 ton 4wd truck. We are both almost 60, so the 2 x 2kW is starting to look attractive.
As for quiet, I don't think it is any louder than the Honda, or not enough to notice. I have walked to other RVs, to hear their Honda (and they to ours) and noise is not different enough to choose which is quieter.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 52361
A hotshot driver made a delivery at work he had a HF 3500 inverter for his sleeper ac, it asked him about it, he's really happy, fuel efficient, he fired it up, I considered it pretty quiet
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in