Sous vide - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #176 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller22207 View Post
I did a 48 hour sous vide corned beef for St. Patty's day. Dropped the vacuum sealed bag from the grocery store into the sous vide container, set the temp to 140 F, timer for 48 hours and walked away. Pulled it out two days later, sliced and served.

Everyone thought (we're an Irish family) it was the best corned beef ever. Cooking for so long at only 140F kept the meat firm and juicy, but broke down collagen. It did not fall apart when you sliced it (like slow cooker corned beef), but it was not chewy either (like under cooked corned beef). Firm, juicy, melt in your mouth. Will never cook corned beef any other way.
I'll consider this next year. My wife likes it. I don't. 48 hours is a long time to cook in a water bath.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #177 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5943
Location: Southeastern MN. (formerly near Chicago, I've ESCAPED!)
The thing to remember is that there's no food/water contact, so there's no dilution or watering-down. There are some folks who'll sous vide a roast for a week.

I didn't think collagen would melt at that low temperature.
ChiXJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #178 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 116537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiXJeff View Post
The thing to remember is that there's no food/water contact, so there's no dilution or watering-down. There are some folks who'll sous vide a roast for a week.

I didn't think collagen would melt at that low temperature.
We're both right. Collagen breaking down is unclear phrasing. Collagen begins to melt at around 160F and renders out of the meat. Collagen begins to soften (converts to gelatin) at 122 degrees. The benefit for a tough cut like corned beef, is the meat does not render much liquid, but becomes much more tender, retaining juiciness.
emiller22207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 3007
I had a large beef roast in my freezer last year and being single I had no idea what I was going to do with it and was not feeling the crockpot. So I SV'd it for 4.5 DAYS at 130. Seared it after and it really was pretty good. Doubt I ever do it again, but it didn't suck :shrug:

Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #180 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 7772
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Yes pressure cooking is new to me. I've never heard of it until now. No, I don't understand how it works. I don't care either. I can cook 8 steaks to a perfect temperature while I go for a run or play with my kid. I can avoid over cooking 36 hard boiled eggs while I also spend time with my wife. Heck I can even cook a pork shoulder without getting up at 6:00am to have it cook for 8 hours.

Are you some kind of luddite?
Totally legit. The fad brought you into familiarity with certain methods. The technology fits into your life.

Just, the technology rapidly becomes cumbersome. I'm familiar enough with technology to take everything I do apart until it either doesn't work anymore or I discover some basic principle about it and eliminate most of the gimmicks.

Quote:
No, I don't understand how it works. I don't care either.
That's not really a good idea. There are basic processes at work, biological and physical, which can be used a lot more than electronics can bring you, but are dangerous if fucked up.

I think you're at the point of starting on this, and eventually if you hang out on pirate, you're going to get annoyed not knowing wtf is going on. Otherwise you would have stuck with the H2 or whatever.

Kudos to you for even exploring this, while maintaining your life. The question is do you drill down to the principle and keepusing it, eliminating the complications, or do you go back to pizza and stouffer's lasagna?
EverNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 04:44 AM   #181 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
Quote:
Originally Posted by void_of_light View Post
Made my first run yesterday with my crock pot controller.

Tossed it on the grill for a minute or so. It was dark so I over did it a bit.

Perfect.

This was a super cheap piece of meat. (Top Blade steak). I cut out the membrane and let it cook all day, and ended up being super tender. I could nearly cut it with a fork. It didn't have a lot of flavor though. I think I screwed up by not resting it before I grilled it, and lost a lot of the juices.

Ill try again letting it rest this time. Other than the flavor, it turned out perfect.
Is your crock-pot one that has an old fashioned knob or on/off switch that goes "klunk"

or is it a newer electronic one?

If it's a newer electronic one, did you have to mod anything to make the heater come on when the power cycles on/off from the controller?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-------------------------
Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; Today at 04:47 PM.
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #182 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Ya'll are fancy with your tech gadgets.

I have been doing my sous vide on the stove with a pot of water and a mechanical food thermometer... have had good results with steak. Though you need to babysit it a little more..

I have been wanting to get one of those heaters though.

I saw a few people have tried chicken and liked it, but I keep seeing on youtube where it sucks... Guess I will need to try it.
Talon2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #183 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 178569
This is what my girlfriend used for Thanksgivings when we were in the mountains with the RZR and camper. Plugged it into the generator and went for a ride. Turkey was fantastic and there was no TV, bitching, or people that I didn't want to be with.
NewWifeSmell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #184 (permalink)

Member # 41146
Jumping on this bandwagon a bit late, but Got a Sous Vide and vacuum sealer over the holidays.

had the most tender steak ever last night. Definitely liking it thus far, just need to figure out what all i can use it for. Seems like pretty well everything from some googling.
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #185 (permalink)

Member # 2578
You'll be amazed - I make flan in little glass jars, 18lb brisket, chicken thighs, eggs, and so on. I use it to defrost and reheat soup, veggies, and so on, too. Can't beat it for that kinda stuff.
Realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #186 (permalink)

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon2006 View Post
Ya'll are fancy with your tech gadgets.

I have been doing my sous vide on the stove with a pot of water and a mechanical food thermometer... have had good results with steak. Though you need to babysit it a little more..

I have been wanting to get one of those heaters though.

I saw a few people have tried chicken and liked it, but I keep seeing on youtube where it sucks... Guess I will need to try it.
I do chicken breasts with mine all the time. Just had some monday night. They come out amazing. Trick is to wipe all the solidified stuff and seasoning off and pat dry and then reseason and let rest while gettin grill hot then sear those puppies on a super hot grill. I see so many people bitching on facebook that chicken sucks SV, it doesnt work, blah blah blah. 149 degrees for 90-100 minutes and youll love it. only chicken that sucks SV is chicken wings, those are better on the grill.
samy crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #187 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy crawler View Post
only chicken that sucks SV is chicken wings, those are better on the grill.
Actually, if you treat the wings to a bunch of salt and acid before plopping in the SV they cook up just fine. In fact if you do them at 165 or so for a few hours they are very good. They still need some texture, but if you then crisp up the skin on the stove or in a super hot grill they are damned good. You do not get good results with the fatty poultry in SV unless you're at 160 or higher, IMHO. And just say no to adding fat - no olive oil, butter, etc. Ghee would probably be fine, but it won't really do anything.

The thighs I did were without bone, but with skin on. Salt/pepper, two hours at 160, then just sizzle the skin side on the stove to crisp it up and they are perfect. I tried some with lemon slices and dill - very little lemon flavor came out and zero dill. Another I did with brown sugar and Chimayo chili powder and those came through, but I think that was because it stuck to the skin and the fan-frying action.
Realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 200906
I want to try to SV wings then crisp them up in the air fryer.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #189 (permalink)

Member # 101927
the best wings ive ever had only take 20-25 minutes on my big green egg. Not ever going to wait 2+ hrs for wings.
samy crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #190 (permalink)

Member # 8448
We got one and I am impressed.

Did two large rib eyes @130 and seared them on the grill for a couple of minutes. S/O thought they were too rare so I threw them back on, satisfied that SV did exactly what I asked of it. She wasn't all that committed.

Then I made the quiche' in a jar, on Pg 1. That was an absolute hit. I did read to screw the lids on finger tight, and witnessed the air bubbles escaping while not allowing water in. Fascinating stuff.

We did two sirloins from a 4 pack the first night, SV @131.5, and on the grill a touch longer. Perfect through-out. The next night we had the other two on the grill. Noticeably tougher and chewier. Still delicious by my old standards, BSV.

We got a few of the re-usable zip lock style bags. They seem to work. I am all in for trying more. Flan, cheesecake type stuff is next, now that I can really appreciate the delicate temperature sensitive nature of this style of cooking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
criscfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 04:41 AM   #191 (permalink)

Member # 41146
i want to try chicken wings. I plan on SV them, and then bread and fry to crisp them up a bit.

We did Pork chops the night i got it. Definitely kept them juicy and tender compared to other cooking methods.

Going for Lobster tail friday in it. Definitely want to try Cheese cake, as everyone i have talked to said that making cheesecake in a jar in the SV is the absolute best way. Going to do a whole chuck roast next week in it. The wife seems to like it, and she works from home so she can use it kind of like a crock pot and put stuff in it on a short break and then walk away for a couple hours until i get home and dinner is done. So far it seems to be all it was cracked up to be.
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 06:10 AM   #192 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by mda View Post
This is a good guide. There is a chart about 2/3 down the page.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/...ide-steak.html
They had a good rib recipe that I used parts of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller22207 View Post
Fad? Water immersion cooking (sous vide) and pressure cooking (instant pot) have been known and existed in restaurants for centuries. The up front cost of the equipment, made such methods impractical for the every day cook until more recently, however.
I'm sure for many people the instant pot and immersion circulator will just get tossed in a cabinet after a few uses, but for many who enjoy cooking and good food, it opens up a new range of possibilities to challenge our culinary skills.
It's nice to be able to share ideas on a forum like CC.
I am interested in it. My brother bought me a temp controller (https://www.amazon.com/WILLHI-WH1436...dp/B00V4TJR00/) and I plugged it into our crockpot (an old fashioned analog one with a high/low/warm switch) and we have tried it once with short ribs. Put them in for ~12 hours at 150F and then put them in the oven for 40 minutes with BBQ sauce on them to give them a crust (20 mins/side).

They turned out very well, need to try it again at some point, worth experimenting with it for the price.

Aaron Z

Last edited by aczlan; 01-10-2019 at 06:10 AM.
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 06:16 AM   #193 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5943
Location: Southeastern MN. (formerly near Chicago, I've ESCAPED!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
i want to try chicken wings. I plan on SV them, and then bread and fry to crisp them up a bit.

We did Pork chops the night i got it. Definitely kept them juicy and tender compared to other cooking methods.

Going for Lobster tail friday in it. Definitely want to try Cheese cake, as everyone i have talked to said that making cheesecake in a jar in the SV is the absolute best way. Going to do a whole chuck roast next week in it. The wife seems to like it, and she works from home so she can use it kind of like a crock pot and put stuff in it on a short break and then walk away for a couple hours until i get home and dinner is done. So far it seems to be all it was cracked up to be.
Well, yeah. Anything that has a precise, well known temperature, that can be cooked in a water bath, will probably work. Cheesecake.... moist cooking environment, to something like 165 degrees (IIRC, that's where the eggs set the custard,) should make for awfully good stuff.
ChiXJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #194 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Boil your food in plastic.

Suckers.

Last edited by Tigerchief; 01-10-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Tigerchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #195 (permalink)

Member # 37016
Far from boiling temperatures....
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #196 (permalink)

Member # 3007
And BPA free bro!
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #197 (permalink)

Member # 48233
I've been sous vide-ing for awhile now.. Its how i do brisket and pulled pork, etc.. Smoke just about anything for 6-10 hours(except chickens) then let it cool, vacuum seal it, then sous vide at 155 for 6-10 more hours.

I did christmas day brisket this way

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Doc Holiday13; 01-10-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #198 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
This is not a smoker, you do not need to cook for 18 hours, 4.5 days, 18 years, geez people.
3-4 hours is really all something needs to cook, after 5 hours, nothing changes but you wasted your time.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #199 (permalink)

Member # 111641
Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post

For your chuck roast do this

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/re...re-chuck-roast

And make this to go with it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foo...pe-1942771.amp
Save Tellico #153
justanotherjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #200 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
This is not a smoker, you do not need to cook for 18 hours, 4.5 days, 18 years, geez people.
3-4 hours is really all something needs to cook, after 5 hours, nothing changes but you wasted your time.
On SOME cuts of meet, it's the same concept as smoking. The longer something sits at a given temperature, the more the collagen can break down. That may only be a few hours for a steak, but for something like a brisket, it's probably more than 3-4 hours.....but probably far less than 4 days. It's safe to say every cut/type of meat has a different "sweet spot".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in