Project: Vooduru - Page 22 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #526 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22748
Super Bitchen, looks damn good.

R.I.P. Jason
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GREAT SPIRITS HAVE ALWAYS ENCOUNTERED VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS
-ALBERT EINSTEIN-
#472tellico rally

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[/URL][/COLOR]KJ6IYH
surpip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #527 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41059
Send a message via Yahoo to Bunk
Wheelie pics please
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #528 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
So much want! Nice work JR. Bonus points if the fake exhaust could be used as a mounting point for a quick attach wheelie bar!
Thepanzerfuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #529 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22748
LOL speaking of Wheelie, I'm assuming you tried it already? Did it pull the tires?

R.I.P. Jason

GREAT SPIRITS HAVE ALWAYS ENCOUNTERED VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS
-ALBERT EINSTEIN-
#472tellico rally

[/URL][/COLOR]KJ6IYH
surpip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #530 (permalink)

Member # 430242
I've got a 17yr old son that's been bitten by the custom automotive fab work and I've been showing him your progress and he's been amazed with the entire project and said that it's cool enough as is that he'd buy it in a heartbeat if'n he wasn't a broke ass teenager.

But my favorite part is his jaw dropping when I told him that your day job was as a french horn player, he couldn't believe that this wasn't the work of a high dollar custom fab shop with several guys and lots of expensive gadgets making this beast.

You've definitely opened his eyes to what I've been telling him, it's the knowledge of the people in the craft that gets passed down that makes work like this possible without having $$$$$$ tied up in new fancy ass machinery, and his Grand-dad that's a machinist has also been telling him to not be afraid to go to the area shops and ask about being a shop bitch/apprentice that wants to learn the skills and is willing to put in the blood and sweat.

Last edited by projectdad; 12-17-2018 at 02:27 PM.
projectdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #531 (permalink)

Member # 86724
so you think if the exhaust wasn't hitting the pavement it would be more tolerable?

what about a slip on diverter to push the exit out the back under the apron. put it on if you're driving it a ways, leave it off for shows and around town.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #532 (permalink)

Member # 84361
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
so you think if the exhaust wasn't hitting the pavement it would be more tolerable?

what about a slip on diverter to push the exit out the back under the apron. put it on if you're driving it a ways, leave it off for shows and around town.
I know on my RZR turning the exhaust exit straight back definitely reduced the noise for the driver and passenger. My buddies say its louder when following though. I can only imagine that the effect on asphalt would be even more exaggerated than sand.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #533 (permalink)

Member # 40131
Fake news until you get real video!

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #534 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondlogic View Post
Is there anyway we could get some video of you driving it, from both inside and outside? Would love to see/hear it! GREAT JOB!!!!
I'm charging up the camera. Hopefully get some in-car video tomorrow.

It's been a constant barrage of chasing little stuff that's not working or leaking.
I think I have all the leaks fixed now. Had to lift the front end an inch so the tires don't rub on the fenders.
Current problem is the fans don't come on. It takes a while for 4 gallons of coolant to get hot enough to need them but after some hot laps and just letting it sit and idle, the temp goes up where the fans should be coming on.
Plugging in the test connectors reveals that they indeed work. The Access Port says they should be on when it's hot enough. So, I don't know, I just got to sort through it.
It's nice to pay someone to do the main harness as I have someone to refer to when there is a problem.

JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #535 (permalink)

Member # 86724
I'm ignorant of the access port, but is there software that you can use to trigger activations?
Old 12-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #536 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
About the size of a phone, it's an expensive device that plugs in to the ECU.
There's over 100 power train perimeters that can be displayed and monitored.
It's also used for down loading engine management maps and trouble shooting engine codes.

Yimisport sent me a basic map to download to the AP. Then the AP is connected to the ECU to download the map to the car. Otherwise, I couldn't even start it.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...v3-ap3-sub-002

As far as reprogramming the ECU, I can't do it but a tuner can with a laptop and software.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #537 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectdad View Post
I've got a 17yr old son that's been bitten by the custom automotive fab work and I've been showing him your progress and he's been amazed with the entire project and said that it's cool enough as is that he'd buy it in a heartbeat if'n he wasn't a broke ass teenager.

But my favorite part is his jaw dropping when I told him that your day job was as a french horn player, he couldn't believe that this wasn't the work of a high dollar custom fab shop with several guys and lots of expensive gadgets making this beast.

You've definitely opened his eyes to what I've been telling him, it's the knowledge of the people in the craft that gets passed down that makes work like this possible without having $$$$$$ tied up in new fancy ass machinery, and his Grand-dad that's a machinist has also been telling him to not be afraid to go to the area shops and ask about being a shop bitch/apprentice that wants to learn the skills and is willing to put in the blood and sweat.
Nice to hear. I think VWs are great for teens to get their hands dirty and learn. That's how I started. They are cheap and light weight. You and a buddy can lift the motor out and set it on a milk crate. Easy to modify.

This was me with my Baja Bug in 1979 learning how to modify.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #538 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by surpip View Post
LOL speaking of Wheelie, I'm assuming you tried it already? Did it pull the tires?
I haven't hammered it as I don't want to break it yet. With the stock tune, it's not going to pull the wheels up. It will get there though.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #539 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Nice to hear. I think VWs are great for teens to get their hands dirty and learn. That's how I started. They are cheap and light weight. You and a buddy can lift the motor out and set it on a milk crate. Easy to modify.

This was me with my Baja Bug in 1979 learning how to modify.
And cheap. We water locked a 1600 bus motor near La Paz on a surfing trip, and I think it cost us $170 to get a replacement longblock installed, circa 1983.

Claude's Buggies was about 10 miles from my house growing up, and they were always using some kid's car as a test bed. Bugs were pretty big at my school. Slammed or Baja, there were more than a couple 2180's.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #540 (permalink)

Member # 106178
Quote:
I'm charging up the camera. Hopefully get some in-car video tomorrow.

It's been a constant barrage of chasing little stuff that's not working or leaking.
I think I have all the leaks fixed now. Had to lift the front end an inch so the tires don't rub on the fenders.
Current problem is the fans don't come on. It takes a while for 4 gallons of coolant to get hot enough to need them but after some hot laps and just letting it sit and idle, the temp goes up where the fans should be coming on.
Plugging in the test connectors reveals that they indeed work. The Access Port says they should be on when it's hot enough. So, I don't know, I just got to sort through it.
It's nice to pay someone to do the main harness as I have someone to refer to when there is a problem.
What temps are you seeing? I think low speed is supposed to come in at 205.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #541 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by takotruckin View Post
What temps are you seeing? I think low speed is supposed to come in at 205.
That's what I read too. It gets 210 and the AP says fan number 1 is on but it isn't. Jumping the test circuit turns both fans on (they alternate back and forth), so they are functional and wired correctly ( I think). Maybe the ECU thinks it's turning the fan on but a relay is not letting it. I just got to dig into it some more.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #542 (permalink)

Member # 146689
Post a damn burnout video already!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:08 AM   #543 (permalink)

Member # 106178
Quote:
That's what I read too. It gets 210 and the AP says fan number 1 is on but it isn't. Jumping the test circuit turns both fans on (they alternate back and forth), so they are functional and wired correctly ( I think). Maybe the ECU thinks it's turning the fan on but a relay is not letting it. I just got to dig into it some more.
The fan system is a little bit odd. I believe they run both fans in series for low speed and then separate them for high.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 06:11 AM   #544 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectdad View Post
without having $$$$$$ tied up in new fancy ass machinery
I'm going to hazard a guess and say that JR has a fuckton of fancy ass machinery in his shop to make dreams like this come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #545 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
No burnouts yet but here's a little test video.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #546 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
Send a message via AIM to jhama78

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #547 (permalink)

Member # 178200
THAT is fucking awesome!!

Bad ass job as always JR.

SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #548 (permalink)

Member # 21320
Awesome
Old 12-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #549 (permalink)

Member # 40450
So, I'll be that guy.......

What broke at the end of the 2nd video?
MDMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #550 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
^^ I'll give you a hint: It happened after an aggressive stop from about 80 mph.
After about 2 minutes, the noise went away.
Can you guess?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in