New Truck Time - any advice for dealing with FCA (Ram) dealers? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
New Truck Time - any advice for dealing with FCA (Ram) dealers?

I need a new DD/tow rig. Pretty much decided on a Ram 3500 diesel mega cab with a few bells and whistles.

Shopping around, I've only found 2017's with the options I want and they're all in the midwest/west coast. There's one dealer that appears to be a no bullshit, no haggle price-type place that has the best listed price on the 'net. They're in ID, which would mean a $200 plane ticket, $500 worth of fuel and a long weekend for me to retrieve if I bought it from them.

I stopped by a dealer near my office this morning and they confirmed that there's nothing within 500 miles that meets my options criteria. Their server was down (allegedly) and they're supposed to be pricing a 2018 built to my specs, but I'm not holding my breath that they can get close to the 2017 price....although configuring online has them at almost the exact same price except the 2017 has about $1,250 in additional rebates available.

I'm not loyal and any specific dealer here and there are at least 6 ram dealers within an hour of my home and/or work, including one that claims to be the "biggest volume dealer on the east coast".

Any tips on getting the absolute best price out of an FCA dealer? I've heard they have some of the biggest quota incentives and dealers will fight to make sales toward the end of the month to make quota, supposedly even at a loss if it means they make quota. I can't find exactly when their month end is - ie: last day of the month, last full week, etc.

Leveraging dealers against each other? Financing? (I'm a cash buyer, but will finance if it helps get the price down, as long as I doesn't cost me in the long run.
bgaidan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 377
Sounds like you're looking for a very specific truck and there's not many of them out there. Your bargaining position is extremely weak.
east_beast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 55560
I was in your position last year and found that most dealers could not touch the one in ID for price. I ended up getting a slightly used one for a great deal so I went that route instead.

Whatever you do, get the Aisin trans. You'll thank me later.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 110516
Order what you want through the dealer's fleet sales if possible. I have seen some incredible price drops going through the fleet department, even on highly optioned trucks.

Edit: Also the financing options are occasionally better through fleet. I have only dealt with GM, but what GM themselves offers for financing is hard to beat.

Last edited by KDXSR5; 10-16-2017 at 10:32 AM.
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
Sounds like you're looking for a very specific truck and there's not many of them out there. Your bargaining position is extremely weak.
It's basically going to come down to 2018 or flying to ID to drive it home. The question I guess is, how to get the best price for a 2018 out of the local dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
I was in your position last year and found that most dealers could not touch the one in ID for price. I ended up getting a slightly used one for a great deal so I went that route instead.

Whatever you do, get the Aisin trans. You'll thank me later.

Aisin is on the list. Along with leather, sunroof and the aux switches/upfitter module. The upfitter is one of the features that makes it a little harder to find. I need strobes for work and the upfitter switches make easy and clean work of that. I hate the idea of cutting a switch in to the dash of a new truck along with cleanly (and not leakingly) penetrating the firewall.

I tend to drive my vehicles for quite a long time and can justify getting exactly what I want for options.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
I need a new DD/tow rig. Pretty much decided on a Ram 3500 diesel mega cab with a few bells and whistles.

Shopping around, I've only found 2017's with the options I want and they're all in the midwest/west coast. There's one dealer that appears to be a no bullshit, no haggle price-type place that has the best listed price on the 'net. They're in ID, which would mean a $200 plane ticket, $500 worth of fuel and a long weekend for me to retrieve if I bought it from them.

I stopped by a dealer near my office this morning and they confirmed that there's nothing within 500 miles that meets my options criteria. Their server was down (allegedly) and they're supposed to be pricing a 2018 built to my specs, but I'm not holding my breath that they can get close to the 2017 price....although configuring online has them at almost the exact same price except the 2017 has about $1,250 in additional rebates available.

I'm not loyal and any specific dealer here and there are at least 6 ram dealers within an hour of my home and/or work, including one that claims to be the "biggest volume dealer on the east coast".

Any tips on getting the absolute best price out of an FCA dealer? I've heard they have some of the biggest quota incentives and dealers will fight to make sales toward the end of the month to make quota, supposedly even at a loss if it means they make quota. I can't find exactly when their month end is - ie: last day of the month, last full week, etc.

Leveraging dealers against each other? Financing? (I'm a cash buyer, but will finance if it helps get the price down, as long as I doesn't cost me in the long run.
First of all...

If I had met my "quota" on say the 26th, we would fuck around and hold gross for the rest of the month. There is no perfect week/time/day to buy a vehicle. It's all luck of the draw.

You're seeing customer cash incentive. You will never know dealer cash. Since its a 2017, odds are the incentives will increase on the 1st. But are you willing to wait 2 weeks too find out and lose out on a truck?

The easiest way is to email their quotes against each other. If you really want to stick it to them, finance then pay it off within the first 90 days. They'll lose the spiff.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Just catch a flight to Spokane and have Dave Smith Motors pick you up at the airport. Enjoy the road trip home.
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
First of all...

If I had met my "quota" on say the 26th, we would fuck around and hold gross for the rest of the month. There is no perfect week/time/day to buy a vehicle. It's all luck of the draw.

You're seeing customer cash incentive. You will never know dealer cash. Since its a 2017, odds are the incentives will increase on the 1st. But are you willing to wait 2 weeks too find out and lose out on a truck?

The easiest way is to email their quotes against each other. If you really want to stick it to them, finance then pay it off within the first 90 days. They'll lose the spiff.
That's my only real suggestion. You can usually negotiate a little better price if you finance through the dealership. You can always just turn around and pay it off or use your own financing option afterwards. If the ID joint is already giving you the best price you can find, you can't really use other quotes against them. I assume you've already shopped that ID quote around?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 84067
Kernersville Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram | Vehicles for sale in Kernersville, NC 27284

Buy from there. Itís where I bought mine. Delivered it to my door on a rollback for free. Price listed it what you pay. By far the best car buying experience Iíve ever had.

Looks like they have 150 mega cab 3500 diesels on their lot too.
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 131502
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Just catch a flight to Spokane and have Dave Smith Motors pick you up at the airport. Enjoy the road trip home.
This. Several friends have done exactly this and would do it again.
Frozen ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie View Post
Kernersville Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram | Vehicles for sale in Kernersville, NC 27284

Buy from there. Itís where I bought mine. Delivered it to my door on a rollback for free. Price listed it what you pay. By far the best car buying experience Iíve ever had.

Test drove one there Saturday. Salesman was a douche and gave me that "we're the number one volume dealer east of the Mississippi" thing right off the bat. Didn't get a good vibe from him and didn't even talk numbers. They didn't have anything that met my minimum specs either.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 487154
Someone answered this a while back in another "Buying a new truck thread.." and it makes the most sense. Was along the lines of..

Print off price of truck in ID, print off price of ticket to ID, figure what it will cost in fuel to drive home.
Take total to local dealer and say "What are you willing to do to get my business, instead of going to (wherever)."

I'd recommend pricing out shipping also, could be cheaper than a flight and fuel.
5TonDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 161826
I found all of the similarly priced cars in the area (200 miles) or whatever and sent online inquiries. They call and make and offer, and I tell them I'm ready to buy at $xxxxx out the door. If they say no, tell them to call back when they will deal on that. The problem you're having is that there aren't many of the truck you want available.

When I was getting quotes on $xxxx of msrp, I'd say put it in writing and magically they were trying to include dealer added options like steps, tiny, sealant from the dealer sticker that were not listed online. Eventually I said I don't want anything on your dealer sticker. Take it off or give it to me free.

Long story short, get past the "internet sales guy" as fast as possible. Get everything in writing before you travel to get a truck. Don't pay anything for dealer added options. Be flexible on some options for the best deal. Make an offer much lower than you think you can get.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdangerp View Post
I found all of the similarly priced cars in the area (200 miles) or whatever and sent online inquiries. They call and make and offer, and I tell them I'm ready to buy at $xxxxx out the door. If they say no, tell them to call back when they will deal on that. The problem you're having is that there aren't many of the truck you want available.

When I was getting quotes on $xxxx of msrp, I'd say put it in writing and magically they were trying to include dealer added options like steps, tiny, sealant from the dealer sticker that were not listed online. Eventually I said I don't want anything on your dealer sticker. Take it off or give it to me free.

Long story short, get past the "internet sales guy" as fast as possible. Get everything in writing before you travel to get a truck. Don't pay anything for dealer added options. Be flexible on some options for the best deal. Make an offer much lower than you think you can get.
I think this is where the issue lies. If you want the best deal possible, you have to be a little flexible. If every option you want is a must have and there aren't many out there to choose from, you gotta pay what you gotta pay.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Just sent them a request for a quote. That wasn't actually the ID dealer I was talking about. This is the one that's been coming up on autotrader searches: https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
I think this is where the issue lies. If you want the best deal possible, you have to be a little flexible. If every option you want is a must have and there aren't many out there to choose from, you gotta pay what you gotta pay.
I think the bigger problem is the options I want seem to mostly come with the $70k trucks, thought they don't have to.

Really all I want is: Aisin, lether, sunroof, aux switches. That's apparently not a common combination.

Edit: also has to be White

I probably need to go look at a regular crew cab. That would most likely open up a lot more options over the mega. I kind of talked myself in to the mega because for what I'm spending and how long I'll likely keep it, I might as well try to get exactly what I want.

Last edited by bgaidan; 10-16-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Just sent them a request for a quote. That wasn't actually the ID dealer I was talking about. This is the one that's been coming up on autotrader searches: https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/index.htm

I think the bigger problem is the options I want seem to mostly come with the $70k trucks, thought they don't have to.

Really all I want is: Aisin, lether, sunroof, aux switches. That's apparently not a common combination.

Edit: also has to be White

I probably need to go look at a regular crew cab. That would most likely open up a lot more options over the mega. I kind of talked myself in to the mega because for what I'm spending and how long I'll likely keep it, I might as well try to get exactly what I want.
The regular crew cab is enormous compared to the 3rd gens. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 1515
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
It's pretty easy to get what you want. You'll just have to order it, and you won't have nearly as much room for haggling. If I was going to be in the market for a new truck, I'd fly to Dave Smith in ID, buy it, and then drive home with it.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 80867
Quote:

Quote:
Test drove one there Saturday. Salesman was a douche and gave me that "we're the number one volume dealer east of the Mississippi" thing right off the bat. Didn't get a good vibe from him and didn't even talk numbers. They didn't have anything that met my minimum specs either.
They were the ones that had the best selection when I was considering a new Dodge a couple years ago. I did talk to them on the phone and they didn't have exactly what I wanted but were able to come up with one pretty quick. I ended up buying a slightly used Chevy instead so I don't know how the purchase would have gone but the chick on the phone was nice and low pressure. They did follow up with me and when I told them I bought another truck they said "No problem. Think of us the next time!". That was better than another dealer that I was talking to about a used truck and I called him back and told him I decided on another before I even looked at it and he jumped my shit and was like "thanks for wasting my time!" when all I did was ask him about the condition and some options and said I would try to come drive it
amgraham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Dave Smith is the largest chrysler dealer in the world (so they say), until you actually drive by and see it, it's hard to believe. It's basically the whole town, lol. I have heard they beat anyone's price. If you are a u4 team member, with their coverage, you can get any chrysler for 2% under invoice. Dave cole announced it at koh last year.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 161826
Quote:
The regular crew cab is enormous compared to the 3rd gens. Just something to keep in mind.
This is true.

Also, unless you order exactly what you want and nothing else, you need to understand that the trucks are going to be ordered with "packages". Leather doesn't come by itself. It comes with a Laramie package along with every other doodad like parking sensors, fancy stereo, backup camera, etc. Sunroof may also be harder to find in the crew cab vs. the mega cab. The aux switches come with the snow plow package (skid plates and towhooks too).
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dummer'n Moose Poop

Member # 789
Pretty much all the RAM forums talk about using Dave Smith. If I buy new again, that's where I'm going, too.
They will also ship it to your door (just ask them for that service)
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Dummer'n Moose Poop

Member # 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdangerp View Post
Quote:
This is true.
I came from a 3rd gen quad cab (four doors) to 4th Gen crew cab. The 4th gen interior is HUGE comparing the two. I'd say it's the same size as the 3rd gen mega cab, but without the rear reclining seats.
Looking at specs, I think I recall my 3rd gen QC DRW was 9" shorter wheelbase than my 4th gen CC DRW
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
TBD

Member # 194369
Quote:

Depends. I priced a rig from them and the internet price includes every conceivable discount they even if you don't qualify for it. The number I was quoted was $4K above what their internet price was.

They were friendly, but it wasn't as cheap as I thought. A dealer I was at on a whim in PA could order me what I wanted for $500 down and the out the door price wound up a couple grand more than Kernersville and it would've been exactly what I wanted.

'09 Nissan Frontier
Titan Swapped, 4.10's, ARB's F/R, 35's, bunch of other shit
westracing01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Guess I need to actually get inside a crew cab before I commit. :lauging: The mega I test drove over the weekend...it looked like you could fit a full size mattress in the back with the seats folded down.

If I'm ordering something, I'll most definitively pony up the extra $1500 for the mega. If I find a crew off the shelf, I won't let that hold me back.

I'm waiting for a price from Dave Smith. Even though I just got back from a 5k mile road trip, I might just have to do another 2k+ if I can find what I want.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Got my from Smith in 2015, no-one around could touch their price even with the cost of flying over and driving back. Not to far for me though.

As was said, get the Aisin, and definitely get the air ride it wasn't available for the C7C in 15 so I couldn't, it is more than worth it to get it. The only thing I wish I would have gotten that I didn't was the fooking sunroof and cameras. Mine is a C&C so getting the cameras with it when I was picking it up without a bed, was a mother so I just ordered it without them. Its a huge pain in the ass now because you cant add them to the truck after the build, corporate something or other and/or the programming doesn't allow it. If your dropping that amount, get all the bells to go with it. Found a company out of the Netherlands that makes a setup that will add them and integrate it into the nav system. Going with them will also unlock the Nav so you can use it if the vehicle is not 100% stopped. Anything newer than 2013 ish was Gov mandated that way, so that even a passenger can not operate it without being stopped.

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in