Mandatory training at work - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 253146
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed bump View Post
The harassment ones are good for amusement. There is some company policy specific stuff in ours (specifically the it security) that has been useful to be aware of when planning operations.
The ones we used to have to watch on how to stop a fire, were even better. I worked with the Volunteer Debt. Chief and all he had to say about them was "Bullshit, Get out and let us do our jobs".

That showed us all we needed to know....
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
There are two different certs out here. One is a hands on functions course and the other is a verbal. Ive never heard of anyone caring which one you have.
I have worked places that were cited for not having performance evaluation but had classroom. OSHAs out is obviously the classroom wasn't effective enough if you have a bad enough accident.

Construction standard may be different and often is more leniant than the gen industry which is what I know.

Last edited by Gslander; 10-16-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Gslander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 4135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest View Post
Sitting here talking my mandatory anti-harassment training. I have to take 2 levels, employee and manager training. Same for ethics training and security training.
You’re like a wizard. I just finished posting here then checked my email to find I needed to complete my annual HQ security brief. Thanks a lot Gandalf
The press is a gang of cruel faggots. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits—a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector
wheelerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Ours is asbestos remediation and lead remediation certification. I like doing what I can to prevent a slow and painful death, so I'm into it.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyap View Post
We have to take harassment, OSHA, and HIPAA training every year. We recently had to do 5S training. I got about halfway through and decided to see if it would let me take the test. It said I had to get 80% to pass and I scored 81. I got a half hour of my life back.
5S is all about standardizing and increasing efficiency. I'd say you 5S'd the 5S course.

EDIT: Work has a few. We've done the active shooter training and apparently people didn't notice almost every single door in the office opens out. Also, don't take the elevator in a fire. Plenty of meetings were had where we would read from the company manual and the response of "well I guess we should do ___" or "so technically what I have approved isn't actually allowed but...." and they're being serious. Not "ha ha we fool around at work and this says not to" type stuff.

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 10-16-2017 at 04:11 PM.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 9423
Location: Newcastle, CA. But don't ask me where the Old Castle is
Send a message via Yahoo to evenBIGGERrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
You’re like a wizard. I just finished posting here then checked my email to find I needed to complete my annual HQ security brief. Thanks a lot Gandalf
He's not a wizard....he's a Priest. Gets all his info directly from the all mighty.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
Dummer'n Moose Poop

Member # 789
We have all the standard ones here... how to harass, how to bribe and insider trade, etc.
My favorite one, though, is how to avoid becoming a meat fuse. I work in the energy production industry.

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess- Man's Prayer (Red Green)
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
Ebs

Member # 20043
Here's the company harassment video...

Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 52710
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That's your company/trainers policy, and is asking for a lawsuit/fines if someone gets hurt.
OSHA doesn't require a card be issued or carried, at least miosha doesn't and they are generally more strict than osha. You have to be trained and have your training recorded somewhere and it lasts 3 years. Any "qualified" trainer can do the training, and "qualified" trainer is a pretty loose definition when you consider the hazards associated IMHO. Anyone who has thoroughly read the lift truck manual, and feels like they have read enough about it, can be a trainer in OSHA's eyes, if your company is okay with it.

So technically you can be a trainer and an operator if all you do is read the manual and osha guidelines and your company is okay with it. Seems sketchy but that's the way the law is written. On-truck training is a mandatory part of the training I administer and I've happily failed a few people for hitting cones.
This was a 3rd party that came in and did the training. Gave a speech about having to carry the card on your body or OSHA will give a $7k fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jpmassey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 06:15 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 5176
Worked for the gov't some years ago.

Sat thru harassment training.

At the end, I identified all the leading factors that would lead to a potential sexual harassment situation.

The one not covered, "Male working directly under a Female Supervisor". Apparently, it was not considered in the manual.

30 y/o female Supervisor got a LOT of nick-names from 20 y/o me for the next couple of weeks, because, technically, it wasn't sexual harassment.

STOLEN!!! -->'80 CJ-7 w/ 258 I-6,T-176,D300, '94 YJ tub, '83 toy axles front & rear, Smirffield front axles, w/3.90's, 'YJ rears up front, and a bunch of home-grown patches, all sitting on BFG 35" MTs.

Post #411
Blame Canada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
I had worked for my current job for 8 year previously, never had forklift training. Came back after 4 years and was told I need it. NBD. Sat through the video, answered the 20 questions while watching the video, then handed in the test and left the room, the other two guys in the class were dumbfounded that I was done.

The one barely passed his test and the other failed.

Then I had to pick up a pallet and put it on a shelf and take it down.

Then went out and started moving around 1/2 million dollar machines...

As for harassment training, you are not going to last very long if you don't have thick skin. On a daily basis I think every other word out of most of our crew would qualify for sit down. Yes they have policy and 'training' but no one goes by it, it def falls under the 'we told you so we covered out legal side of it'

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmassey View Post
This was a 3rd party that came in and did the training. Gave a speech about having to carry the card on your body or OSHA will give a $7k fine.
Total B.S. You just have to be able to have proof of training. I just keep a list of approved operators in a binder on the forklift. I actually went through a MIOSHA forklift trainer training class and they kind of poked fun at 3rd party trainers that made it seem like they were necessary, and cards were needed as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
Jes

Member # 7575
Harassment training is one of our mandatory classes along with "core values" and driver's training. We also have a shop safety tailgate every other week and a bureau wide safety meeting once a month.
We're also encouraged to do at least ten hours a year of training. Confined space, track worker safety, fall protection, lockout tagout, forklift, and others are some that I have taken over the years.
At least I get paid to do it.
JV rally post #31.

Last edited by Jes; 10-16-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added some.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Nope, I can cuss and raise hell all I want.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 730177
I had to sit through one from HQ this morning too. The notification email basically said “you can’t close your browser. If you can’t watch it all, leave your browser open”. Pretty sure no one made it all the way through once the CSPAN segment started.
_xbombtek_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #41 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49159
Company training=transfer of liability
Old 10-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #42 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 104517
I'm the only one left here that went to a full day long forklift class, had to do class then driving.

I get passed over on jobs that require forklift operation because "you're young, we will have that old crippled fuck run the lift because he can't work as fast as you".

I had one meeting about calling an apprentice a bitch and a pussy. He had it coming, but when I recorded what the little shit was saying and played it back for the boss he wasn't upset anymore.

They're just there to cover their ass. 99% of the shit that comes out of my mouth will offend and harass someone.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:52 PM   #43 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 125937
Theyre dumb but sometimes a little funny.

Ours are usually online and I just click, click click through everything I should read and then answer the ridiculous questions at the end that are so common sense its laughable.

Done, print completion cert and, out of mind.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:06 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 29341
I'll be the devils advocate.

My brother in law owns a fairy large company with many subsidiaries. I'm on their jobs all the time so I sit in on training classes. I also have a serious understanding of the business side of it and its insane.

Common sense just is not all that common, in the past few years some of the accidents have been a person ran over by a steam roller, a person with the wrong fall harness in a confined space they shouldn't have been being caught in a bearing and spun and compressed, another motoring a powered conveyor belt right into a semi passing by among others.

The value placed on a life, with loss to company, compensation and raised premiums is right about 1.1 million to them.

All of these accidents affect the mod rate/EMR which is what insurance companies use to compare and set your rates based on accidents when compared to your peers/industry.

That mod rate with their company is the difference between spending 600k a year in insurance or 1.6 million. Bring the mod rate down and you might make the difference between a profitable year or more jobs etc. This is why companies can justify having full time safety guys, its saving them money.

When I sit in on these classes, a lot is the ins or company covering their ass so they are not found possibly to be neglectful when crap does happen. I take a little away each time but I do try to take it serious, im a little more invested that just some random company but I would hope the employees let some of it sink in.
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2017, 01:07 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 29341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
Company training=transfer of liability
Bingo.
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2017, 01:08 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 120446
The military had better than a dozen annual cbt's that I had to stay current on. Some would let us just take the test and go about our day. Others we had to sit through and interact with. One took over 3 hours to complete and had a bad habit of crashing, then you had to start all over again.
My new (soon to be old) job has us come in and do 4 hour group training sessions. I missed the last one because I was called out a few days early to relieve a sick guy on the opposite watch. Now the company wants me to pay to go to one on my own time because. I told them that they don't pay enough as it is. If they really want me to go through the training, they will pay for it.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
cajunrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2017, 01:25 AM   #47 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 222933
Location: southern illinois (no where near that shit hole chicago)
I work underground, and we have to take an annual 10 hour refresher course. Before someone can work underground they have to take a 40 hour course.

No harassment courses though. If you say harass, it's assumed you're talking about her ass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sent via smoke signal
redsand723 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2017, 03:38 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 27575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post
We have all the standard ones here... how to harass, how to bribe and insider trade, etc.
My favorite one, though, is how to avoid becoming a meat fuse. I work in the energy production industry.
My BIL manages a bunch of engineers, code monkeys, and bug squashers. Recently their company was purchased by a large European conglomerate. They all had to go through anti-insider trading, bribery and money laundering training. His team had no idea how to do any of it before the training, but all flet they had a great idea after the training.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 04:03 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 55403
I work for the government, I've been to sensitivity training 3 times, I think lucky number 4 is coming soon.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:28 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 31971
We had an active shooter training video. Everyone said the active shooter looked like me.
If I ever wear a back pack into work I expect people will run screaming.
I am offended by people taking offense. Not saying you shouldn't be offended, just saying that it causes me offense when others get offended by the offensive. Please respect my rights to be offended by your offense.

Last edited by Roverhound; 10-17-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Roverhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in