Travis AFB/Nor Cal Area - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Fixed mag only. Doesnt matter where your from
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 121866
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
Nope. You won't even be able to use a bullet button now. It will need to be a fixed magazine.
Featureless?
904_runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 39791
Quote:
Originally Posted by despain85 View Post
Sounds like we're transplanting from Northern Colorado right into the same place except California. Pretty stoked to see that we can kayak and I can mountain bike and fish so close by. My big question is guns? I think I'm good minus my 30 rd mags for my AR, I know that I need to register them within 60 days of arrival and I can't travel with anything bigger than a 10 rd mag. I have a federal carry permit so I'm not worried about myself, but I know my wife's Colorado CCW won't carry over and she'll hopefully only have to apply for a permit and not go through classes.
The only counties in the area that willingly issue permits are Solano and Sacramento. No interview in Solano, but paperwork submittal, background and livescan, approval, then targets, submit targets, wait, permit issued. It's crazy and takes anywhere from 4-12 months. Sac is about the same from what I've heard, but I believe they require a face to face interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjed View Post
Bullet button, non-collapsible stock, 10 round fixed mag. And every gun has to be in the approved drop test list.
CCW is by county. I wouldn't be surprised if most counties in the Bay Area don't give a shit about a federal permit and I'll bet the wife will have to go through the whole clsss and interview process. Takes about a yesr.
Or just be an outlaw. It is called conceal carry...
CCW without a permit is a "wobbler". They can charge you with a misdemeanor or a felony. If it's not registered to you, it will certainly be considered a felony.

If you own a gun and it's not on the "drop test", I believe you can still bring it in as an prior owner moving into the state. You are just prohibited from buying new models in California that are not on the list. It's pretty ridiculous to say the least.

Quote:
I think I can skirt the bullet button laws and all of it because I won't be a resident of CA, not to sure though I always read conflicting information.
Nope. You can't even bring stuff into the state without being in compliance or you're going to do crazy jail time. Same with mags. I wouldn't bring anything over 10 rd mags into the state. I'd consider leaving any AR or AK related stuff with a trusted relative in your home state, etc. and acquaint yourself with the awesomeness of lever action rifles!

__

Last edited by White Shark; 10-27-2017 at 12:56 PM.
White Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 166307
O.p.....Now ya did it with the guns question.
If ya like guns yer gunna h8te the p.r.k.!(peoples republik of kommieforniastan)

Cannot even leave the house with a gun unless you have a good lawyer and fort knox in the vehicle, (exaggeration)...maybe.
So its pay to shoot in the area, most of the blm land quit \ closed shooting either due to tweekers or fire or both.
Best deal local is circle s ranch I think its $9.00 a day, next is $15.00 an hr in vv.
Both napa private ranges just burnt down.
We used to take the boats out in the delta....shoot and move.

Last edited by clb 017; 10-27-2017 at 02:20 PM.
clb 017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb 017 View Post
O.p.....Now ya did it with the guns question.
If ya like guns yer gunna h8te the p.r.k.!(peoples republik of kommieforniastan)

Cannot even leave the house with a gun unless you have a good lawyer and fort knox in the vehicle, (exaggeration)...maybe.
So its pay to shoot in the area, most of the blm land quit \ closed shooting either due to tweekers or fire or both.
Best deal local is circle s ranch I think its $9.00 a day, next is $15.00 an hr in vv.
Both napa private ranges just burnt down.
We used to take the boats out in the delta....shoot and move.
No more shooting up at Knoxville?
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Not for years now.

My jeep club did a cleanup with napa s o and blm the word was the tweekers were harvesting brass and leaving campfires burning .
What that has to do with the publics right to use the property? I dunno.
Perhaps they could ban tweekers

Deer hunting is still allowed.
Cow mtn and Boggs both closed due to fire.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 162643
When I lived in Angwin we used to go there for four wheeling, dirt biking and shooting. Of course that was last century.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 10:01 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 107014
Well shit. I guess I'll leave my AR with my FIL or maybe sell it.
despain85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 147603
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shark View Post
True, Winters proper is barely in Yolo as the divider is Putah Creek, pretty much making it Solano County for the most part by association, but Yolo as a technicality.

It is close to Tahoe though. Exactly 2 hours to Boreal, 2 hours, 15 minutes to Truckee. That's pretty close considering Fresno is 3 hours 45 minutes from Winters and Redding is the same distance as Truckee. Driving to L.A. is a fair drive as is Portland. Redding and Tahoe are local by NorCal standards.
__
Ive lived in rural yolo county north of winters for 30 years.. Never heard it referred to as solano co... Guess that's because the people here know what county they live in.

The only part of winters south of putah is the old creekside bar that recently reopened as a yuppie spritzer joint. As far as I'm concerned, solano co can have it.

Boreal and Truckee arent exactly Tahoe either...

You gave exact time/ travel estimates for those places but danced around Tahoe.

Otherwise good info

Last edited by chevota5.0; 10-27-2017 at 11:41 PM.
chevota5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 12:56 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 40375
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota5.0 View Post
Ive lived in rural yolo county north of winters for 30 years.. Never heard it referred to as solano co... Guess that's because the people here know what county they live in.

The only part of winters south of putah is the old creekside bar that recently reopened as a yuppie spritzer joint. As far as I'm concerned, solano co can have it.

Otherwise good info
I went there a few weeks ago for a birthday party - Green River Brewing. Interesting concept that you pour your own beer at the wall with a card. Slow service and wasn't impressed with the expensive food. Not something I would do again anytime soon.
wizard_Drd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
Bug Nerd

Member # 42484
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
If I'm not prying, what town are you in? Woodland maybe?
I lived in Davis for 4 years I don't live down there anymore

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Op
Leave the ar with the f.i.l. till the prk's doj vets the bs. And gets thru dicking with the unenforceable laws already written.
The we might have a work around someday or you transfer out.

Last edited by clb 017; 10-28-2017 at 02:54 PM.
clb 017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 40375
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotasmob View Post
I lived in Davis for 4 years I don't live down there anymore
And look at what happened when you left I've actually been out of
yolo county for a year myself, but I drive to Woodland 4 days a week since my daughter goes to school there and Davis 3 days a week for work.
wizard_Drd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 109423
Not sure on WhiteSharks comments on Benicia. If you have kids, then Benicia is the best area around. Way better schools, community kid stuff, etc... than Vacaville or anywhere around. The politics may be weird.... not sure. Ive lived here on and off for 20+ years and never had to deal with it. The town is clean, good schools keep the people pretty good, downtown has pretty good activities, etc...
The downtown is much better than 10-15yrs ago, and much younger. 4 or so good bars, good food around the town, etc....

I work with a few guys that live in Vacaville, and a few in Fairfield, and they usually cruise this way for their "nights out" downtown....
Go back to riding your Fag Dog Brokeback or whatever the fuck its called.
1990GT50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2017, 08:10 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 684554
WhiteShark and others pretty much covered all the bases. I grew up in Vacaville, moved around a little bit and have lived in Dixon for the last 22 years.

In Vacaville, I would stay North of I-80 and generally West of Dobbins (old part of town). Anywhere else gets you away from the hills, more wind, more traffic, more congestions, more suck. It's not the small town it used to be and has plenty of areas where you don't want to live.

I like Dixon but it is FLAT. There are a few areas to avoid but they are pretty obvious, ie near low income run down apartment complexes. I think we are up to 7 stoplights in town now and almost 20k people.

The back gate (North gate) at Travis is just under 1/2 an hour from my place and never any traffic. I don't even bother going through the main gate due to traffic and a longer drive. From Vacaville you have the option of either the main gate or back gate with about equal travel time 10-20 minutes depending on where in Vacaville you live. Hitting the main gate at morning commute brings the suck.

If you mountain bike, lagoon valley/Pena adobe is a riders heaven, Rockville park is sweet as well but you can ride to lagoon valley from Vacaville. If you like to fish then this area is awesome. Close or a reasonable drive is trout, steelhead, salmon, bass, catfish, stripers, sturgeon and the ocean.

There are three 4wd clubs in the area. Listed by size is the Solano Trailbusters, Vacaville Cliffhangers and the Dixon 4Wheelers. I'm partial to the Dixon club. The Rubicon and Fordyce are both about 2 hours from my house.

Winters will blow your 1/2 hour commute window. It's smaller than Dixon but slowly growing.

If you want to buy in Dixon next September you can buy my place. 1700sf, 4/2, big back yard in a court off of a quiet circle. I'm moving the fuck out of this state next Summer.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #41 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by L!ghtfoot View Post
1700sf, 4/2, big back yard in a court off of a quiet circle.
I dare you to say (ballpark) how much you'll be asking, so you can blow the minds of all the non-Kali folks.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 102467
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
I dare you to say (ballpark) how much you'll be asking, so you can blow the minds of all the non-Kali folks.
It's Dixon, not Napa.

I'd say say mid to low 400k.

I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses - Johannes Kepler
LigBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #43 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigBoozer View Post
...which will still blow the minds of the non-Kali folk.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #44 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigBoozer View Post

Sounds about right:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...23_rect/13_zm/
Old 10-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 684554
I could walk to that house in less than 10 minutes. Whatever the market will bear at the time.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 107014
Quote:
Originally Posted by L!ghtfoot View Post
WhiteShark and others pretty much covered all the bases. I grew up in Vacaville, moved around a little bit and have lived in Dixon for the last 22 years.

In Vacaville, I would stay North of I-80 and generally West of Dobbins (old part of town). Anywhere else gets you away from the hills, more wind, more traffic, more congestions, more suck. It's not the small town it used to be and has plenty of areas where you don't want to live.

I like Dixon but it is FLAT. There are a few areas to avoid but they are pretty obvious, ie near low income run down apartment complexes. I think we are up to 7 stoplights in town now and almost 20k people.

The back gate (North gate) at Travis is just under 1/2 an hour from my place and never any traffic. I don't even bother going through the main gate due to traffic and a longer drive. From Vacaville you have the option of either the main gate or back gate with about equal travel time 10-20 minutes depending on where in Vacaville you live. Hitting the main gate at morning commute brings the suck.

If you mountain bike, lagoon valley/Pena adobe is a riders heaven, Rockville park is sweet as well but you can ride to lagoon valley from Vacaville. If you like to fish then this area is awesome. Close or a reasonable drive is trout, steelhead, salmon, bass, catfish, stripers, sturgeon and the ocean.

There are three 4wd clubs in the area. Listed by size is the Solano Trailbusters, Vacaville Cliffhangers and the Dixon 4Wheelers. I'm partial to the Dixon club. The Rubicon and Fordyce are both about 2 hours from my house.

Winters will blow your 1/2 hour commute window. It's smaller than Dixon but slowly growing.

If you want to buy in Dixon next September you can buy my place. 1700sf, 4/2, big back yard in a court off of a quiet circle. I'm moving the fuck out of this state next Summer.
We might be there earlier than September, but your house sounds about perfect for us, just might be a little out of our price range. Everything you talked about is stuff I like to do, don't have any way to wheel anymore but we've discussed a JK in the future for the wife. I think my range on homes is $350-410K, but the houses are few and far between with big yards for our 3 dogs.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 39791
Quote:
We might be there earlier than September, but your house sounds about perfect for us, just might be a little out of our price range. Everything you talked about is stuff I like to do, don't have any way to wheel anymore but we've discussed a JK in the future for the wife. I think my range on homes is $350-410K, but the houses are few and far between with big yards for our 3 dogs.
Rentals are non-existent, and lower priced homes are going quick because all of the displaced people from the Napa, Sonoma, and Santa Rosa fires are trying to find housing. People are buying up the low priced stuff (relatively speaking) just so they can rent them out as the rental prices are going way up. This is happening everywhere in Solano County and elsewhere.

__

Last edited by White Shark; 10-29-2017 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 39791
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990GT50 View Post
Not sure on WhiteSharks comments on Benicia. If you have kids, then Benicia is the best area around. Way better schools, community kid stuff, etc... than Vacaville or anywhere around. The politics may be weird.... not sure. Ive lived here on and off for 20+ years and never had to deal with it. The town is clean, good schools keep the people pretty good, downtown has pretty good activities, etc...
The downtown is much better than 10-15yrs ago, and much younger. 4 or so good bars, good food around the town, etc....

I work with a few guys that live in Vacaville, and a few in Fairfield, and they usually cruise this way for their "nights out" downtown....

I've had family in Benicia since 1906. My wife and I specifically moved out of Benicia because of the overall town, politics, and school situation, not to mention the refineries periodically catching on fire, having toxic gas releases, etc.

Benicia schools are definitely the best in Solano County by test scores which is good, but the curriculum is very liberal, the politics of the town are very liberal, and a large percentage of the kids are bused in.

The schools are infinitely superior to Vallejo for sure, and Benicia has some world class teachers, but having had family attend every school district in the county, friends working in every district in the county, and seeing how things sorted out, we felt that Vacaville offered the overall best option for flexibility in curriculum, choice of schools, ease of access, and the chance for being in winning sports programs when our kids were starting out at Kindergarten age. Benicia school are great though, but they just didn't offer as much for us, and with 3 kids now having graduated from Vacaville schools, I wouldn't go back and change a thing.

It's hard for kids to get around in the hilly terrain of Benicia without a car, and it's far too steep to reasonably ride bikes. It's closed in by the river on one side and private property on the other. Lame restaurants (few are open after 10, and fast food is limited to Taco Bell, KFC, and McDonald's - no Jack, no Wendy's, no Chik-Fil-A, no Carl's Jr., etc), and limited grocery stores (only a Safeway's and a Raley's).

Crime spills over from Vallejo (there's a weird rivalry between the two towns that just doesn't exist in Vacaville or Fairfield), and people tend not to retire and stick around. 780 is the only highway through town and it's only 2 lanes and buried in traffic for hours in the morning and afternoon.

The weather is great though. Cool and foggy in the mornings and rarely into the 100's. Living by the water is nice, and people are really pretty friendly there. It's a great place to visit, nice to live in for a short time, but I wouldn't put down any roots there. There's too many other nicer, cheaper, more accessible, just as friendly, and easier to find amenities places nearby.

Just my $.02 after living there and commuting from there for a decade and spending time in and out of there for almost 50 years. Don't get me wrong, Benicia isn't a bad town, it's better than most, but it's very limited in it's overall offerings, higher in cost, less accessible, and therefore less desirable than other towns in my honest opinion. If you've lived in Fairfield, Vacaville Vallejo, Cordelia, or other Solano County towns as I have, and had them to compare directly, you'd likely agree as well.

__
Old 10-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 39791
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota5.0 View Post

Otherwise good info

Yep, Winters is in Yolo, but we'd be proud to call it our own.

Most of the Winters area has been frequented by the Northern Solano County rural population for years as it's far closer than Vacaville and other parts of Solano. Putah Creek is the dividing line for the counties, and since the entire downtown area skirts along Putah Creek, it tends to be considered by many in Northern Solano County as being part of their own backyard. More than 1/2 of Winters proper, and all of the downtown area are within 1000' of the Solano County line. Yeah, it's in Yolo, but a good deal of business comes from next door. and it's hard to just acknowledge that it belongs to another county.

As for Tahoe, I was using general guidelines. Lake Tahoe is often referred to as an area, and not specifically as a destination. Truckee is 5 miles from King's Beach and the water, which I would imagine still allows it to be considered part of the Lake Tahoe area.

I mentioned where Boreal and Truckee are as reasonable way points for anyone ever having been in that area. They know the distances involved from those points to the lake. I know them from commuting to work in Truckee and the west shore on a regular basis.

I guess it depends on what you do in the area. I never spend anytime in or on the Lake, so I see the surrounding area as Tahoe. If you own a ski boat or cabin on the water, I suppose that Tahoe is that place where you put your foot in the water. Either way, it's all semantics and a great place to go for fun...or work.

__

Last edited by White Shark; 10-29-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 107014
I didn't think about the displaced people from the fires. We have bad timing when it comes to moving, when we moved out here the High Park fire was happening and the same thing was said, now it's the same in Nor Cal. Is there new construction in Vacaville/Dixon area? I don't have an issue buying new, if I absolutely have too. From what I read on here it is safe to say that I will be living north/northeast of the base to stay away from Fairfield and Vallejo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in