Anyone own an alignment/chassis/suspension shop? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 64213
Have a plan....a real one

I'm wrapping up a business feasibility study for my own business and the more research I do the more opportunities I see around me, the challenge is maintaining sustainable growth with low debt. Like others have said, your challenge won't be your vehicle knowledge but the less appealing aspect of ensuring profitability. Whether you buy an existing business or seek to grow your own, the bills begin the day you sign your name.

That said, I encourage you to maintain a steady income stream and slowly build the business over time. Beginning any business with large debt has no real advantage as your ultimate measure of success is cash flow. Whether or not you decide to pull the trigger on this idea is irrelevant as understanding the basic principles with a well organized approach will help you in any business venture.

Good luck.

Last edited by 89breaker; 11-14-2017 at 09:15 PM.
89breaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes8517 View Post
Looking at possibly opening a shop here in Houston. Primary business will be for trucks/SUV's and doing alignments, chassis, suspension and drivetrain work. Will also be a dealer for higher end suspension systems - Carli, Icon, etc. as well as do wheels and tires for people that want lifts installed.

Few questions:
Anyone do this?
If so would you do it again?
Where did you go for initial investment money to get started? I will need shop space (lease), alignment rack, 1-3 lifts, tire and wheel machines, etc. Looking at likely needing $100k or so to get a good start.

Wes
yes, my dad did. Already had an established mechanic and auto body shop. Added the alignment side when the local tire shop expressed the hole for good alignments, plus we were sending work to a crappy alignment place after doing service work for inspections and accident repair.

we added a drive on rack, and beam system etc to do it. Prolly one of the best business decisions we ever made.

also while lifts and aftermarket stuff sounds fun, the market is just now slowly recovering in many places from the recession, meanwhile people are keeping cars longer and getting them serviced. You will make more money doing day to day repairs, than the high end lift installs that happen now and then. In our area we would not last doing "custom" lifts alone.

Last edited by pennsylvaniaboy; 11-15-2017 at 07:35 AM.
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 14196
Send a message via AIM to wes8517 Send a message via MSN to wes8517 Send a message via Yahoo to wes8517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
Ttb has been gone for 20 years and there is no alignment on a modern vehicle that is similarly difficult to get right. Most cars now just get toe unless something is bent.
People are used to the to the $59.99-99.99 alignments. Throwing a lot of labor at an alignment to get it a tiny bit better isnít going to pay off for you.
Ive had multiple TTB Broncos and own one currently, I know the challenges with an alignment for them.

The lifts is to cater to the large volume of oil&gas guys in Houston that want to spend money on their trucks. All the shops charge an arm and a leg for a pro comp or similar lift kit that makes the trucks ride even worse than they did from the factory. On a $60-70k truck thats a damn shame. So if someone wants to spend a bit more to improve the ride, thats the market I would be targeting after talking to a ton of people about what they would spend their money on, etc.

Wes
Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 74407
If you can install lifts and not charge stupid ass prices, you'll do well.

One guy up here charges like 5k for a 6" lift for a Super Duty. He's out of his fuckin mind.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 137692
You're expecting people to know the difference. The bulk of people just want looks and don't care who made it or the performance of it

How do you know they charge an arm and a leg and aren't just barely profiting once you take into account parts, labor, consumables etc.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #31 (permalink)
ZSK

Member # 89276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
Ttb has been gone for 20 years and there is no alignment on a modern vehicle that is similarly difficult to get right. Most cars now just get toe unless something is bent.
People are used to the to the $59.99-99.99 alignments. Throwing a lot of labor at an alignment to get it a tiny bit better isnít going to pay off for you.
Ford still uses the Twin I beam setup under the 2wd F250 and F350 Super Duty series plenty of them running around.

OP look at the fleet vehicles in your area, locally there are a couple shops that almost exclusively service Comcast Fleet vehicles and they are always busy. Proportionally there is much more service and repair taking place on stock vehicles but you'll be competing for the $59.99-99.99 alignment and $19.99 oil change business.
ZSK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in