New commuter car.. what PBB say. - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #51 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 80867
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlercreations View Post
Earlier this year I bought a '99 Audi a4 for $1200 and put a clutch in it. A few little cosmetic fixes and some tunes. I have about $1800 in it with new to me wheels and tires. Leather, sunroof and about 36 mpg on the highway. Just took it on an 1800 mile road trip without hesitation. 1.8 turbo has just enough power and can be tuned easily for a decent power increase. Much easier to see your money back when you have a low up front cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
36mpg my ass
My DD is an 02 A4 quattro 1.8T 5 speed with a 1+ tune. No way in hell you're getting 36 MPG. Mine gets 23 no matter how I drive it.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:12 AM   #52 (permalink)
Dunes & Forest

Member # 142612
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_JEEPER View Post
Can you really, truly, "adopt it" if you cannot even spell it?

Yes I still do spelling mistakes after all these years, same is for "cylinder" or "cilynder" I never really remeber where the y goes.
I guess it's pretty normal when english is not your mother language.

Last edited by fantic238; 11-28-2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: spelling
fantic238 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 06:12 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburburns View Post
So, I drive a minimum of 150 miles a day, 85% on the interstate and I need a new gas sipper to save a few bucks in my commute. Current car 02 BMW530i, averaging 23mpg and still runs pretty good for 200k miles.

So, heres what Im looking at, what can you tell me about each?

Ford Fusion Hybrid , preferably 2013 or newer as they claim better highway mpg.

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Toyota Prius (lowest on the list)

Id honestly prefer to spend less than $10k, but will push that for the right car as Im quite partial to leather heated seats and a sunroof.

Or, I guess Id look at other makes, if they really fit my requirements.

How many miles will the battery last..

Cliff
Honest question - are you trying to save money with this purchase? Is that why you are looking at shitboxes? Going from a nicely running 530i to anything else on this list wouldn't make me happy unless the 530 is really beat up and unreliable. I would rather get another older used BMW and roll for 250k. They are really good cars.

The mileage math seldom pays off, it's not a good way to justify a new car. If you can buy something used on the "cheap" that you like driving, something a little larger, etc, I think you'll be happier in life. Increasing your mileage even by 10 MPG would not pay for a much newer/new car.
Realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 06:22 AM   #54 (permalink)
TBD

Member # 194369
I drive 110 miles a day, some highway and a lot of back roads.

I vote Honda Civic but I like Honda's so I'm biased. I had a pretty low end 2010 EX that got mid 30's. When the wife took that one I went and bought a 2015 Si. I get 28-30 in the summer on my commute to work, 32+ on the highway. Has a sunroof, only comes in a stick shift (might be a downer for you, not sure) and is a pretty fun little car that costs next to nothing to drive/maintain and the 15's were the last year for the NA 2.4L.

If you wanted something nicer with more room and would buy new, the 2018 Accord Sport with the 2.0L turbo and 6 speed looks to be a nice ride.

Of the shit on your list, probably the Hyundai.

If you wanted a Ford, get the EcoBoost Mustang.

My commuter car requirements were decent mileage, fun to drive, stick shift. Maybe I missed it, but what are you looking for in the car? Just good mileage or does there need to be a fun to drive factor?

'09 Nissan Frontier
Titan Swapped, 4.10's, ARB's F/R, 35's, bunch of other shit
westracing01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 06:25 AM   #55 (permalink)
DKA Motorsports

Member # 15585

my 2007 "Houston Stock" Corvette making 700ish whp and still gets 28ish highway on pump gas. I get around 20 mpg with mixed city and highway. *EDIT* no I don't daily it on the Hoosier slicks. lol

Otherwise I drive this

my 2014 Mega on 37s. Gets about 14 or so mpg with mixed, seen a best of 18mpg of straight highway.

Moral of the story is, it's way funner to drive something cool. Don't be gay and drive an eco box.
#4909 Ultra4 YXZ1000R UTV
#4659 Ultra4 Jeep Comanche
1994 2 door XJ trail rig
Follow our racing adventures on Instagram
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tribal4krawler; 11-28-2017 at 06:26 AM.
tribal4krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 06:41 AM   #56 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
Are you a big guy? If you're used to a 530 for long periods of time any of the suggestions you made are going to cramp your style and be uncomfortable. I'd start with another $7000 530 and fix all the dumb stuff then roll on. Or. I'll throw Volvo S60 in the ring for comfort and ride quality, road mileage is around 30 and maintenance is the same as the BMW.

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 06:49 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 233239
Quote:
36mpg my ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgraham View Post
My DD is an 02 A4 quattro 1.8T 5 speed with a 1+ tune. No way in hell you're getting 36 MPG. Mine gets 23 no matter how I drive it.
Try driving highway only and reasonable. Mine is completely stock with the 150 h.p. engine and a 5 speed. Hand calculated mileage put me just under 36 m.p.g. most of the way to and from Phoenix from Denver. Hills lowered the mileage some but the flats made up for it.

If you're getting 23 on yours and you're driving it decently then there is something wrong with your car and it is not running right. I get 27 all city driving.

But let's keep distracting from the o.p. to argue about something irrelevant.
crawlercreations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #58 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
For cheapest cost per mile it's hard to beat a Prius. They never need brakes, the tires are cheap, the MPG of course and the engine is a Toyota. It's a Halo car for them, they are being used as taxi's as much as anything, and Toyota knows that and they are built tough. But gawdamn are they ugly.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Try driving highway only and reasonable. Mine is completely stock with the 150 h.p. engine and a 5 speed. Hand calculated mileage put me just under 36 m.p.g. most of the way to and from Phoenix from Denver. Hills lowered the mileage some but the flats made up for it.

If you're getting 23 on yours and you're driving it decently then there is something wrong with your car and it is not running right. I get 27 all city driving.

But let's keep distracting from the o.p. to argue about something irrelevant.
No you don't. I drove at 60-65mph on the cruise for 2+ hours in flat ass Iowa and refilled and still only got 27 and this car is maintained to a T. ~8800 miles tracked with Fuelly for a 25mpg avg.

I like that it's irrelevant to you, but you still toss in your 2 cents.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 233239
Quote:
No you don't. I drove at 60-65mph on the cruise for 2+ hours in flat ass Iowa and refilled and still only got 27 and this car is maintained to a T. ~8800 miles tracked with Fuelly for a 25mpg avg.

I like that it's irrelevant to you, but you still toss in your 2 cents.
My car is also fwd. I didn't say my post was irrelevant to the o.p. Arguing about my fuel mileage is.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I know my facts and you know yours. Your truth is not my truth and my truth is not yours.
crawlercreations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
My car is also fwd. I didn't say my post was irrelevant to the o.p. Arguing about my fuel mileage is.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I know my facts and you know yours. Your truth is not my truth and my truth is not yours.
Mine being AWD doesn't suck up 11mph
Old 11-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 3007
OP, just looked in my area and damn you can get a used Prius CHEAP! $4500 for a 150K vehicle
Old 11-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #63 (permalink)
Atomic Test Lab Rat

Member # 25325
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPurdueYJ View Post
If 14 flat second quarter miles are "slow" to you, then I'm not sure what to tell you.
I didn't say it was "fast" or a fucking racecar, but 14 1/4's and 0-60 in 5 seconds is not slow.
But it's nice you care so much, dear.
That's 1500 pickup truck territory.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:10 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 30586
I am looking at a ford fusion hybrid for a commuter. I rented one last year and drove from SF Bay Area to Boise, Id and back. Averaged between 40 and 41 mpg running 70-75 down the freeway 2 adults and luggage for a week.

I have been looking at Hertz car sales and it looks like you can find them with ~30k miles for $16k-$18k.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:24 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 107014
I bought a 14' Optima Hybrid that had 70K on it. It's fully loaded minus a moon roof and I average 32 mpg at 85 everyday, it's a 75 mile round trip. The car is extremely comfortable and has all the luxuries one could want. I would recommend it to anyone needing a great commuter.
despain85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 23843
For many years I drove a 91 civic si hatchback as a commuter... 300k before some kid paid me top dollar for it... it got good mileage 30city/40hwy mpg driving it pretty hard...was fun to drive had cold AC...

Bought an Acura TL (glorified accord) with lots of options and it gets 24city/35 fwy....and for the 5 mpg less you can have that econobox civic...there is a lot to be said for a comfortable and quiet (almost zero road noise) car....
Old 11-28-2017, 07:55 AM   #67 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 18120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realsquash View Post
Honest question - are you trying to save money with this purchase? Is that why you are looking at shitboxes? Going from a nicely running 530i to anything else on this list wouldn't make me happy unless the 530 is really beat up and unreliable. I would rather get another older used BMW and roll for 250k. They are really good cars.

The mileage math seldom pays off, it's not a good way to justify a new car. If you can buy something used on the "cheap" that you like driving, something a little larger, etc, I think you'll be happier in life. Increasing your mileage even by 10 MPG would not pay for a much newer/new car.
Good question.

Reality is, Some idiot side swiped my 530i the other day (Insurance will likely total it, or at the very least give me crap money to fix it), therefore, it needs repaired. The Engine needs some TLC, shocks are shot, and just generally needs some work to be kept reliable for a while longer. All of which can be done, but I'm not one to throw good money after bad when it comes to cars. Heck, the only reason I'm driving it now is because it was cheap.

Now combine that with the fact it's been totaled at least once in the past, every time I turn around, I go to fix something minor and it turns into a bigger problem due to the previous crappy repair jobs. Just life, but I'm ready to get out of this car.

The cost of insurance is the biggest reason that I'm not looking for another one, as for some reason, it is high to insure this one, given that it is a 15+yr old car.

Fun to drive is currently being trumped by my desire to fly more and possibly get back on the trail again. I'd much rather take that cash used for gas to commute and put it into plane rental or actually hangar rental and a much bigger money pit.

Cliff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and we support the Offroad Community

- Find out how you can help
wilburburns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #68 (permalink)
Extended Member

Member # 69765
New commuter car.. what PBB say.

Camry or Lexus ES. Or a GS if you want the Rear whee drive. Or a Acura TSX or TL.

Or look for a 90s Civic DX or Honda Insight. Ive done the commute thing and comfort far outweighs saving a little on Fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow my adventures on Instagram:

Last edited by Kyle_T; 11-28-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realsquash View Post

Yeah I remember a study comparing the prius to a bottom of the line corolla (buying both new) you had to drive the prius 13 years to justify the "buying for mileage" aspect of owning one.

Being a former Toyota tech.... I wouldn't touch a used prius with a ten foot pole....everyone that bought them new rarely changed the oil or put a dime in them ....drove them into the ground.... garbage car!!!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #70 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
I've been shopping as well, 2013+ Ford Focus hatchback, or 2014+ Honda Fit.
They are little shit boxes, but with a hatch they 'feel' sporty and can fit a good amount of crap in the back of them.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
This is the Only VW I would suggest other than maybe a 1.9TDI. I have a tuned 1.8T 4mo 5speed pas
alh is diesel
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #72 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 18120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
Yeah I remember a study comparing the prius to a bottom of the line corolla (buying both new) you had to drive the prius 13 years to justify the "buying for mileage" aspect of owning one.

Being a former Toyota tech.... I wouldn't touch a used prius with a ten foot pole....everyone that bought them new rarely changed the oil or put a dime in them ....drove them into the ground.... garbage car!!!
I remember a similar study. The same can be said about any new car though as depreciation from the time you sign until the time the lot is left is huge.

I also remember reading or seeing a study that basically showed then energy and types and amounts of raw materials used to build the electronics (batteries, motors, etc) in Hybrids exceeds the amount of energy used by the same vehicles Dyno Fuel only counterpart.

At the end of the day, if "I" can't find a way to save money, it's not a good fit for me. Up until recently, I've driven roughly 15k miles a year and could have cared less about my vehicles being a gas guzzler (Nissan Titan, Couple Jeeps, Jeep Grand Cherokee), but now fuel savings is about me, not the environment. And like I said earlier, I do believe fuel/Gas prices are about to go up (Slowly I hope), but I just don't think the current low prices will be here much longer. I do hope I'm wrong about gas prices though.

Cliff

, and we support the Offroad Community

- Find out how you can help
wilburburns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Prius hands down. Resale will be better when you dump it in 5 years.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #74 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9380
Send a message via AIM to TxCruzr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytowntj View Post
Mazda 3. 37 mpg on our 2016 over about 35k miles. Surprisingly fun to drive. No maintenance issues. Trans is really good and I hate autos so that is saying something. Only current econobox that is a car designed to be driven, not a toaster.
I have a '14 hatchback and average 37 to work when I have to do the long commute and can easily pull 40 on the highway. Even flying on the highway driving like and ass I'll get 32 at the worst. And it's fun for a econo car and super comfortable on long trips.

I don't need a commuter for a while so I'm letting it go but I bet I end up with another one in a few years if I start doing the long commute again.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #75 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 80867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
This is a good point. Every hybrid I get in the shop has had nearly zero maintenance done on them. I just got an Insight in that has 99K on it and the stock air filter, stock plugs, and that's pretty common. Most people buy them and think that they don't have to maintain it like a normal car.

Not saying every one is like that, just make sure you get service records and/or look it over well.

Another thought.. My sister bought a 15 Corolla last year from Enterprise (needed cheap and reliable and does a ton of miles). For a cheap commuter it is a decent car and gets good mileage. Enterprise was easy to deal with too if you can get over buying a rental car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in