Gate Opener - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Trail Tampon

Member # 27333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmh View Post
spend a few grand on a real opener, and it's been working for about 4 or 5 years now.
sooooo, whats the real opener?
rajincajingt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajincajingt View Post
He either had a kid, or got married and makes the wife/kid ride passenger and get out and open/close the gate.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 6417
Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselmh
Quote:
I'll have to ask them the brand. It looks like a commercial opener. The motor is mounted on a concrete pad that's about 2'X2' and about 3 ft deep. It's a hoss.
Dieselmh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #29 (permalink)
Trail Tampon

Member # 27333
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
He either had a kid, or got married and makes the wife/kid ride passenger and get out and open/close the gate.
i have both wife and kids and i still open the gate.

a $5k opener is still cheaper and more reliable than getting the wife to do it.

and quieter
Old 11-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 6417
Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselmh
Quote:
i have both wife and kids and i still open the gate.

a $5k opener is still cheaper and more reliable than getting the wife to do it.

and quieter
You're right!

Theirs is a Viking F-1. She said the guy that built their gate installed it. She thinks they paid just under $4,000 for the opener, solar panel, battery backup, keypads, electric lock that actually locks the gate, and installation. All they had to do was make sure there was power available.

When we installed my buddy's mighty mules, each gate cost him just under $1,000 for the opener, solar panel, keypad, lock and battery. Seemed like a bargain at the time. Not so much now.

Last edited by Dieselmh; 11-30-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Dieselmh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 36822
Most Mighty Mule openers up here are only good at keeping the gate open, permanently. We have a Liftmaster, almost trouble-free for over two years (to date).
Old 11-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 16358
Send a message via ICQ to k5chevyblazer Send a message via AIM to k5chevyblazer Send a message via Yahoo to k5chevyblazer
Viking F-1 is a commercial unit, you can use a Viking R-6 in most residential applications.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:20 AM   #33 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Liftmaster LA500

Works great, zero problems, gets opened like 20 times a day and on a gate waaaaay over it's weight rating. I skipped the Mighty Mule because i didnt want an opener that worked most of the time. Gate is stuck open, dogs are out, now im late for work etc.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Bit of a hijack. My neighborhood wants a gate.

No houses near the start of our road and too much traffic for solar. Main power line runs underground right along the road. Is it possible to tap into that? Would it need it's own meter or something?
Old 12-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #35 (permalink)
Trail Tampon

Member # 27333
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5chevyblazer View Post
Viking F-1 is a commercial unit, you can use a Viking R-6 in most residential applications.
we actually have a viking here at work. its less than a year old, but it seems to be holding up well.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #36 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEREvince View Post
Bit of a hijack. My neighborhood wants a gate.

No houses near the start of our road and too much traffic for solar. Main power line runs underground right along the road. Is it possible to tap into that? Would it need it's own meter or something?

Yes it would need a meter
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 51775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmh View Post
I hate to agree with Screwzer, but I have personal experience with 4 gates that have/had mighty mules on them.
It makes a huge difference how you set it up. The gate has to be really level, not over the weight limit, and swing freely without trying to close or open itself. They are not very "mighty", as the name would imply, but if set up correctly they will get the job done.

The other units being suggested here cost at least 4 times as much as I have invested in my opener, solar panel, number pad, Interstate group 27 RV battery, and two car remotes. They are nice, but sometimes good enough is good enough.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #38 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17947
Send a message via AIM to jaluhn
Got to love pirate - half a dozen folks saying the mighty mule is great, and half a dozen saying it's junk. So helpful....

For those who have had these units fail, what goes wrong? Is it an installation issue, bad design, ie, something that could be fixed easily? I have a decent machine shop, so if it's a fairly simple thing to fix that's one thing, if the entire thing explodes that's another.

My budget for this is like $250 - definitely not buying anything heavy duty and even the cheaper stuff is questionable.

The gate is keeping in dogs/sheep. Nothing that critical. Doesn't need to lock, and easy enough to manually open/shut if it fails. If the gate opens in the middle of the day randomly or something that would be an issue.

I've got a spare garage door opener, had thought of using that but then realized that by the time I mess around with getting it working I may be better off just buying one. I've got some money but not a lot of free time to mess with stuff at the moment. Might also wind up with some RV slideout hardware here before too long which could work well as a gate system base.

Right now the wife is walking out and getting it when I leave and when she leaves in the morning, and either leaving it open for me if she gets home first or I have to get out and do it if I do. Not a huge thing, true, but it is a pain especially in the rain, cold and mud. I'm also usually in uniform, which means that getting wet/muddy/dirty is more of a concern than normal.
jaluhn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2017, 10:46 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
Diggin' it.

Pretty cool as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlhdRFnNVE
Bet the cows stop following you out.
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 16358
Send a message via ICQ to k5chevyblazer Send a message via AIM to k5chevyblazer Send a message via Yahoo to k5chevyblazer
The arms fail, the computer boards fail. The arms have cast aluminum and plastic gears. There is little to none factory support.

The last thing you want to do is install crap and then constantly be working on it.

Get yourself some quality sealed bearing hinges.
https://www.shutitgatehardware.com/t...ass-hinge.html

This is a quality solar unit.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222691316068

I could take more pictures like this all day.
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...=page_internal
Old 12-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #41 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman View Post
It makes a huge difference how you set it up. The gate has to be really level, not over the weight limit, and swing freely without trying to close or open itself. They are not very "mighty", as the name would imply, but if set up correctly they will get the job done.
This would be true, however, gates are subject to abuse, sagging, etc. Mighty Mules are not beefy enuf to accommodate less than ideal conditions.

The wife is my gate opener.
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #42 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
The arms fail, the computer boards fail. The arms have cast aluminum and plastic gears. There is little to none factory support.
This.

Poor installation will make it happen faster, but inevitably, the Mighty Mule will fail.

I've had DOA units show up before, when a customer went to Tractor supply.
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 79989
Quote:

The last thing you want to do is install crap and then constantly be working on it.

Get yourself some quality sealed bearing hinges.
https://www.shutitgatehardware.com/t...ass-hinge.html

This is a quality solar unit.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222691316068

I could take more pictures like this all day.
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...=page_internal
Is everything made by that company good to go or just the one you linked?

I want a gate opener but due to the placement of my gate (the hinge is right up against side of my house) I need something that is slim and doesn’t have a big linkage arm swinging around. More linear actuator like for space and pull to open would preferable. I obviously have power in my house so AC power connection is not an issue.

What kind of safety stuff do these gates have? I was considering building my own gate opener but I hesitate as I don’t want to crush my dog or kid with a bad ass pneumatic or hydraulic opener. There has got to be some fancy safety system to prevent injury on gates openers right?

Last edited by ShaggyAnt; 12-02-2017 at 01:20 PM.
ShaggyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 107642
Too much?
FJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #45 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34606
Send a message via Yahoo to cj5 buggy
I must be a lucky bastid then... have had 2 mighty mules over the last 8 years with minimal issues... must be level and not overweight for sure. the first one we had didn't last 4 months, come to find out the gate was to big, even though it was designed for a 16' gate... they replaced it for free... moved and bought another one. been opening and closing for 6 years. i use the solar with battery backup...
Old 12-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 15504
Send a message via AIM to the burbanator
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Liftmaster LA500

Works great, zero problems, gets opened like 20 times a day and on a gate waaaaay over it's weight rating. I skipped the Mighty Mule because i didnt want an opener that worked most of the time. Gate is stuck open, dogs are out, now im late for work etc.

We install several of these a year, just put a pair in on a doctors house last week, they fail as well but not at the rate of the mighty mules. We've changed controllers on some of the earlier models and the opener portion still works great. Me replace alot of mighty mules with these.
the burbanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2017, 10:35 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 16358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyAnt View Post
Is everything made by that company good to go or just the one you linked?

I want a gate opener but due to the placement of my gate (the hinge is right up against side of my house) I need something that is slim and doesn’t have a big linkage arm swinging around. More linear actuator like for space and pull to open would preferable. I obviously have power in my house so AC power connection is not an issue.

What kind of safety stuff do these gates have? I was considering building my own gate opener but I hesitate as I don’t want to crush my dog or kid with a bad ass pneumatic or hydraulic opener. There has got to be some fancy safety system to prevent injury on gates openers right?
Go under the gate? Post mount style Viking is a G-5 unit. They can push or pull a gate open.
i-8â„¢ Underground Operator « Viking Access

minimum usually is about 10" of clearance needed for it to swing in, or put the operator on the outside and have it swing out?

They do have a sensitivity setting. adjusting it will depend on the wind load factor and how "open" the gate is. The way a computer board senses hitting something is an amperage draw on the motor.

I only use the Nice operators in a solar set up. anything with AC power I use Viking. I am not a fan of ANY of the Liftmaster stuff other than their pad mount CSW-200 or SL-3000 AC operators. The 12 or 24 volt stuff is cheaply built and has issues. Another up and coming company is the Patriot stuff, but I haven't installed one yet.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...bd&oe=5AC99156

Here is a push/pull double I did.
https://www.facebook.com/25276602484...zOgfW2bJE4elLM
Old 12-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 79509
I had no clue there were gate snobs.

Mighty mule is fine for 90% of the population. It's just an electric motor on a screw jack. Run a decent battery and a solar panel to keep it maintained.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaluhn View Post
Got to love pirate - half a dozen folks saying the mighty mule is great, and half a dozen saying it's junk. So helpful....

For those who have had these units fail, what goes wrong? Is it an installation issue, bad design, ie, something that could be fixed easily? I have a decent machine shop, so if it's a fairly simple thing to fix that's one thing, if the entire thing explodes that's another.

My budget for this is like $250 - definitely not buying anything heavy duty and even the cheaper stuff is questionable.

The gate is keeping in dogs/sheep. Nothing that critical. Doesn't need to lock, and easy enough to manually open/shut if it fails. If the gate opens in the middle of the day randomly or something that would be an issue.

I've got a spare garage door opener, had thought of using that but then realized that by the time I mess around with getting it working I may be better off just buying one. I've got some money but not a lot of free time to mess with stuff at the moment. Might also wind up with some RV slideout hardware here before too long which could work well as a gate system base.

Right now the wife is walking out and getting it when I leave and when she leaves in the morning, and either leaving it open for me if she gets home first or I have to get out and do it if I do. Not a huge thing, true, but it is a pain especially in the rain, cold and mud. I'm also usually in uniform, which means that getting wet/muddy/dirty is more of a concern than normal.
With that budget, and with a garage door opener on hand, why not set it up to slide open like on Star Trek? But just one.

No issues with perfectly level, sagging hinges, inertia of the gate, etc. Just the gate oling left and right on some ez rolling wheels and ties.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
why not set it up to slide open like on Star Trek?
...or just about every commercial gate installation
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in