Heading to MOAB for the first time, any advice? - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #76 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Did you ask your hotel if they have accommodations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 121293
I take I40 to Albuquerque then head NW through Farmington and up through Cortez. It's an easy drive. Also, if you go that route you might want to stay in Farmington a night or two as there is some good wheeling there too.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 689770
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyridgerunner View Post
Have to get this book!
Bought the Moab book from Fun Treks. I was surprised at how great it is. Much more detailed than I was expecting. Glad people said to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryson View Post

By insurance regs and BLM regs, NO BOOZE/beer on the trail. As volunteers, we are required to turn you in to authorities. You will be met by an officer at the exit to the trail. I've never had to turn in anyone and don't want to. Grab a brew or shot after the trail run.

when you mention insurance, am I right to assume you're referring to the sponsored trail rides I could sign up for? What if I was on my own? Is it a club rule or local law? Are the trails considered a public park? That's the closest law I could find regarding alcohol; not in a public building, park, stadium, or on a public bus.

Sometimes after a challenging trail, it's nice to be able to crack open a beer and enjoy a cold beverage while taking in the scenery and letting your nerves regroup. Not trying to sound like an alcoholic who drives around drunk, but to a big guy like me, 1 or 2 beers won't do anything as far as changing my BAC.

What happens if we're out just exploring on our own and end up on the same trail as a sponsored group ride? Will I be told to leave/turn around?

We're getting super excited about this trip, other than the actual part of having to drive 2200 miles one way to get there. Been watching a bunch of videos on youtube and it looks incredible out there. I can't get over how open it all looks. All the trails I'm used to are in woods, with the trail hardly being wider than your rig in most places.

Is there anybody that's going to be there that would be up for having a couple guys from NC join you in some trail running or beer drinking?
dirtymike72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 689770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookey View Post
Did you ask your hotel if they have accommodations?
My brother called them and what he said was that the person didn't seem to have a solid answer, and just gave him a maybe. I'll be calling them this week and see if somebody can give me a clear answer. It looks like there's parking along the side of main street based on what I've seen through google street view, so worse case I should be able to park on the side of the street and hope nobody hits it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselS10 View Post
I take I40 to Albuquerque then head NW through Farmington and up through Cortez. It's an easy drive. Also, if you go that route you might want to stay in Farmington a night or two as there is some good wheeling there too.
Thanks for mentioning that, I'll have to look into it!
dirtymike72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 4650
golden crack
up pritchett in the rain(our female friend in pic) did it again dry with no assistance needed.
moab rim.
Attached Images

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo arís[/COLOR]
NERVEman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 4650
upper helldorado
coyote canyon
elevator escalator?
Attached Images

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo arís[/COLOR]
NERVEman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymike72 View Post

when you mention insurance, am I right to assume you're referring to the sponsored trail rides I could sign up for? What if I was on my own? Is it a club rule or local law? Are the trails considered a public park? That's the closest law I could find regarding alcohol; not in a public building, park, stadium, or on a public bus.

Sometimes after a challenging trail, it's nice to be able to crack open a beer and enjoy a cold beverage while taking in the scenery and letting your nerves regroup. Not trying to sound like an alcoholic who drives around drunk, but to a big guy like me, 1 or 2 beers won't do anything as far as changing my BAC.

What happens if we're out just exploring on our own and end up on the same trail as a sponsored group ride? Will I be told to leave/turn around?

We're getting super excited about this trip, other than the actual part of having to drive 2200 miles one way to get there. Been watching a bunch of videos on youtube and it looks incredible out there. I can't get over how open it all looks. All the trails I'm used to are in woods, with the trail hardly being wider than your rig in most places.

Is there anybody that's going to be there that would be up for having a couple guys from NC join you in some trail running or beer drinking?

Talking event re: insurance. If you're on your own and discreet, I doubt you'd have any issue at all. We tell people the rules at the trailhead, tell them why there are rules and how strict we need to be. I have ZERO issue with an adult beverage handled responsibly.

Coming upon a RR4W group: Depending on trail, it may be closed to other traffic during EJS. Basically we are teaching people to be stewards of the trail. Trash cleanup, responsible use, open travel rules (they don't exist---trail closed unless marked open) etc. if the trail is open, we just ask you to be courteous. We try to get people through trails as fast as safely possible while still giving them the "experience " of the whatever trail it is. Most trails, there's not an easy way to "play through" but if there is, I'll try to get a faster group through. Best thing to do is leave a couple hours behind the official group.

If you want the true trail experience, EJS isn't the best weekend to come. If you want guided experience with some responsible land use flavor mixed in, come on down to EJS

mbryson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in