2018 "I'm really going to do it this time" weight loss thread - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 127650
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawRider View Post
This is retarded....
The worst thing you can do to your metabolism is eat that little. Being a bigger person means your metabolism is working st it’s peak for the activity level and mass you have. Why not use that to your advantage. All you are doing is crash dieting. Yea, the results are much more instantaneous, but no one ever looks at this for the long haul. You are destroying your metabolism as it will reset in a sense to try and sustain life at the amount of calories you are giving it. No man should ever have to try and hold any kind of diet under 2000 calories.

Unless you are really strict and super dedicated, good luck holding onto these diets as you will gain all of this back and more because you crashed the system.
I'm 6'4" and 4 years ago I weighed 280lbs and had been 250+ for the 5 years before that. I had a lean winter and didn't really have $ for food, so I dropped down to 215. Worked a house building job that spring and didn't get paid for the 3 months until it was done, got down to 205. So that was 75lbs in 9 months. Still had room to loose more, I probably should be around 190. Stabilized at 215 for 3 years until this fall where I've crept up to 225 because I've been eating too much, side effect of working a job that reliably pays. Through all this I've ate the same diet of processed garbage and sugar, just varying amounts.

Calorie restriction does work, and the results can last. It's also a lot easier to just not eat than it is to go out and exercise. Once you're down to a reasonable weight, then you can start exercising without killing your joints and feeling like shit. I still got around fine when I was heavy, but my knees would kill after a day of hiking. Not anymore.

Last edited by RanchTruck; 01-08-2018 at 10:47 PM.
RanchTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 04:27 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 21756
I`m definitely in, between stress and not working as much and deciding to throw myself a pity party and drink away most of November I`ve put on 50 pounds in the last 3 months.
Brian468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 04:31 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 120446
I'm down 25 pounds since October. I am headed back to MEPS on Thursday and they want me around 148lbs. Being 5'3" sucks... They think my ideal weight is like 120 lbs.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
cajunrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 04:57 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 93772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian468 View Post
I`m definitely in, between stress and not working as much and deciding to throw myself a pity party and drink away most of November I`ve put on 50 pounds in the last 3 months.
That's a pretty good clip there.

Hope you can turn that around quick, you can't sustain that for very long.
bsdboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 05:36 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 39312
My work has a 12 week program that includes gym, nutritionist visits and some kind of class starting at the end of the month. It is free so why not. Had an appointment with the nutritionist yesterday and went over a lot of info. Weighed in at 338. Looks like I went 5 lbs in the wrong way over the past 3 weeks.

Not feeling very motivated but that is why Iím posting here.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:49 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandeyota View Post
My work has a 12 week program that includes gym, nutritionist visits and some kind of class starting at the end of the month. It is free so why not. Had an appointment with the nutritionist yesterday and went over a lot of info. Weighed in at 338. Looks like I went 5 lbs in the wrong way over the past 3 weeks.

Not feeling very motivated but that is why Iím posting here.
Well then good luck, man. Think about quality of life in 20 years. Bad joints suck. Find healthy stuff to eat that you like. Biggest help I found so far.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:57 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 141297
I'll participate with ya'll to help me stay motivated as much as possible.

End of 2017 I was 230lbs. This morning I was 223lbs.

Right now I'm only trying to cut back on qty of food and not really dieting. When that levels out I'll cut back on calories and go form there. We'll see how 2018 goes. 2017 I didn't really gain or lose. I've been 225-230 for around 2-3 years so at least I don't fluctuate a ton like some people do.
saddis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 06:15 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 5538
Send a message via AIM to BIGSTIC Send a message via Yahoo to BIGSTIC
One of my guys got on the Snake Juice diet at Thanksgiving. He is 6' and 285 lb. He was down 38 lbs by the first and was feeling the best he ever has at 43 yo. His goal is to get to 200 lb. His whole attitude has changed in the last month and a half. From being a bitter ass to always laughing and having fun. Went from no energy and always late to now he is usually in early to bull shit.

He and I talk about it a lot and I am thinking of trying it. Would love to be down to 220 by my 40th birthday which means I need to drop 100 lb in 16 months. Between work, kids activities, city council duties, school board duties, church duties, and my hobbies I have zero hours to actually exercise. My days start at 4 am and end at 11 pm already. Kids have a big birthday party this weekend so might try it after I get through that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click Above ^^^^^^

"In America, we like everyone to know what we are doing anonymously" Jay Leno

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BIGSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 84917
November 3 I was 302lb.
December 3 I was 272lb.
Jan 3 I was down to 265lb.
I have a long way to go, and jump started in November with HCG injections, but it did work. Now I am working on loosing 3-5lb a week. I haven't been in the 250's in many many years, but its right around the corner now. Then into the 240's. With the holidays, and birthdays it's difficult, but now thats over and I have no more excuses.

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
and Today is a Gift
That's why they call it the Present
blugreenformula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 146689
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugreenformula View Post
November 3 I was 302lb.
December 3 I was 272lb.
Jan 3 I was down to 265lb.
I have a long way to go, and jump started in November with HCG injections, but it did work. Now I am working on loosing 3-5lb a week. I haven't been in the 250's in many many years, but its right around the corner now. Then into the 240's. With the holidays, and birthdays it's difficult, but now thats over and I have no more excuses.
Do you think the hcg injections helped at all? 30# down in one month is pretty good!

Im doing better at this now than at anytime in recent memory. I've been consistent on diet and lifting and cardio. Staying away from the scale for a bit but I'm legitimately wearing jeans I haven't been able to wear in any fashion in years. My regular pants a belt isn't a decoration any longer either!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 183520
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchTruck View Post
I'm 6'4" and 4 years ago I weighed 280lbs and had been 250+ for the 5 years before that. I had a lean winter and didn't really have $ for food, so I dropped down to 215. Worked a house building job that spring and didn't get paid for the 3 months until it was done, got down to 205. So that was 75lbs in 9 months. Still had room to loose more, I probably should be around 190. Stabilized at 215 for 3 years until this fall where I've crept up to 225 because I've been eating too much, side effect of working a job that reliably pays. Through all this I've ate the same diet of processed garbage and sugar, just varying amounts.

Calorie restriction does work, and the results can last. It's also a lot easier to just not eat than it is to go out and exercise. Once you're down to a reasonable weight, then you can start exercising without killing your joints and feeling like shit. I still got around fine when I was heavy, but my knees would kill after a day of hiking. Not anymore.
Sweet science behind that. Starving kids in Africa don’t eat and they stay skinny too. I never said you couldn’t get skinny/skinnier not eating. I said it’s a stupid way to get skinny as you can damage/imbalance a lot more than you know. Your body has mechanisms for survival. That’s the reason you store fat to begin with. But to purposely (not because you can’t afford food) starve yourself with under 2000 calories just isn’t a good idea. And I can tell you 20 more stories of people who did that just to gain it back to people who actually made a lifelong commitment to their health.

Last edited by OutlawRider; 01-09-2018 at 10:16 AM.
OutlawRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Much like @PONY_DRIVER I have been using MyFitnessPal for calorie counting, I have also been using the Pacer app as a pedometer (the MyFitnessPal built in pedometer was over counting my steps by 2-3 times my actual steps). I set my "Base calories" to 2100ish, plus MyFitnessPal adds in the calories from my "active time" (normal walking around).
I started in September at 295#, currently at 263#.

No real huge changes to diet or activity level, mostly just eating less food, avoiding junk and avoiding high calorie foods (for example: less late night handfuls of peanut M&Ms and one serving of ice cream vs a full bowl).

Trying for 250# by April, 220# by September and 200# by 1 January 2019.

Aaron Z

Last edited by aczlan; 01-09-2018 at 10:51 AM.
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 18283
Well I'm back in this thread likely heavier than when I was here last year. 327 right now. Work is offering a weight management pilot that I made it into so we shall see if it helps. Doc managed and insurance will be covering medicines & doc visits @ standard coverage levels.

Last edited by demonranger; 01-22-2018 at 09:17 AM.
demonranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #64 (permalink)
Need an LS

Member # 23188
I did the Pirate fat-ass club in 2015..

I went from 285 January 1st to 226 at my lowest in May. Dropped 55 pounds in the first 3 months and did a Triathlon in the middle of that April.

The way I did it was by cutting carbs and not drinking beer. I went from an elliptical machine to walking, to jogging..then I added in bike riding.

Signing up for the Tri in April really helped me to push myself because I did not want to die. The swimming part really kicked my ass though. I was the LAST person out of the water, but I sucked people up in the bike part and came in 10th for my age group

When I started the next school year and started coaching football, my weight snuck back up to around 240, but I was still happy. In 2016, I hurt my knee and stopped running

So on January 1st of this year, I was back up to 280.

My running goal right now is to run/jog 365 miles this year. I am at 11 miles so far for the year. Debating if I am going to do the tri again in April.

My weight goal is 220 by the end of the school year (June) I am currently 275, so I have lost 5 pounds in 9 days.

Last edited by Kurtuleas; 01-09-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #65 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 44662
You guys can DO THIS! The days are getting longer, and it's no longer single digit temps. Get out there and GET SOME!
Old 01-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #66 (permalink)
Dummer'n Moose Poop

Member # 789
Fine... I'm in.
If I can't get to the gym at the office, I plan to ride my bike at least 3 miles each evening, to start. Was walking 2.5 miles on the treadmill. Spine doc advised against weights.
At 6' and 251 lbs right now. Want to get down to under 210.
Already drinking at least 100 oz of water a day, may have 1 alcoholic drink a month, and cut down from 7-9 (or more) sodas a day to 2, max.

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess- Man's Prayer (Red Green)
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 377
Haven't eaten in two days due to this damn virus, bug, or whatever. That's gotta be helping efforts. No clue what thia is going around CO right now but it fucking sucks. Basically a four day head cold and just as you're getting over that the stomach portion hits you.
east_beast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 21756
Had jerk chicken for dinner last night, down 7 pounds this morning.
Brian468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2018, 05:06 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 93772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian468 View Post
Had jerk chicken for dinner last night, down 7 pounds this morning.
You should share that recipe

Started the exercise routing on Monday. I like to powerlift but decided against that this time around. Squatting 300lbs while below maintenance makes me grumpy (and dizzy). Also powerlifting is great for gaining weight, not losing it.

I went and got one of those crossfit sandbags. Holy cow those things kick your ass. Pick up 50lbs and throw it around a few hundred times and I'm done. Nice functional full body workout though, I like it.
bsdboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2018, 05:25 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Here i a good healthy chili recipe for you guys. Well they call it chili HA

Makes 6-8 (1 cup) servings.
Ingredients:
1 cup dried kidney beans, soaked can replace with canned beans if you rinse well.
1lb ground turkey cooked with onions
3 cups water
2 teaspoons extra Ėvirgin olive oil
1 med onion, chopped
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 large green or red pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 cup pre-cooked quinoa or brown rice
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1-2 cups organic tomato sauce
1 cup water
Drain soaking water off beans if not using canned. Place beans in a large pot with
cumin and water, bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, covered, until tender
(50-60 min). Heat oil in skillet on medium heat. Add onion, salt, garlic, pepper
and spices, sautť for 5-10 min. Add corn, tomato sauce, and water sauted
mixture.. Simmer together 20 min. Add cooked beans and quinoa/brown rice to
other ingredients; simmer another
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 84917
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusM View Post
Do you think the hcg injections helped at all? 30# down in one month is pretty good!

Im doing better at this now than at anytime in recent memory. I've been consistent on diet and lifting and cardio. Staying away from the scale for a bit but I'm legitimately wearing jeans I haven't been able to wear in any fashion in years. My regular pants a belt isn't a decoration any longer either!
It helped me, But the first week sucked. You only eat around 500 calories a day, and it takes some time to get a rhythm down. About 1/2 way through I bumped it up to the 600 range because I was getting dizzy spells. I think it was a blood sugar drop honestly. But yes it does work. I gave myself the injections daily, and went into the weight loss place weekly to pick up my next week of injections. Having to weigh in was a big help. It holds you accountable. My parents are doing a weight watchers thing currently, and they like it. It is just slower loss.

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
and Today is a Gift
That's why they call it the Present
blugreenformula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 44136
Well, I'm in, again.

Last year at this time, I [email protected] 298lbs.

As of last night, I was 282.6 . Wife and I just started a 3 month weight loss challenge at our gym (that I don't go to near enough.

My goal last year was to get below 250 by my 40th birthday last december. Haven't been at that weight since I was about 27. Regardless, I didn't meet my goal. I have a bunch of excuses of why that didn't happen, but they are just that.

I still want to see 249 on that damn scale, but I'll give myself until I'm done being 40 in december.

I know that that seems like a lot of time to lose 33 lbs, but that is my goal for now.
Snowbird13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 40131
Worked out three times this week and ate a lot cleaner. May have a few beers tonight after getting home from the blind, but weíll see if Iím up for it. Hoping to go for a run tomorrow.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 39312
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
Haven't eaten in two days due to this damn virus, bug, or whatever. That's gotta be helping efforts. No clue what thia is going around CO right now but it fucking sucks. Basically a four day head cold and just as you're getting over that the stomach portion hits you.
Looks like that is also in FL right now. Iíve had some saltine crackers to eat today. Yay for Zofran.

Yesterday I went to the gym at my work and they stuck me in a pod to get body comp numbers. Looks like I went back down those 5 lbs as of yesterday.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Back down to 260# as of yesterday.

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in