CD format may end soon - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
CD format may end soon

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-cds-only-when

If the majors don't play ball and give in to Target's new sale terms, it could considerably hasten the phase down of the CD format.

Even though digital is on the upswing, physical is still performing relatively well on a global basis -- if not in the U.S. market, where CD sales were down 18.5 percent last year. But things are about to get worse here, if some of the noise coming out of the big-box retailers comes to fruition.

Best Buy has just told music suppliers that it will pull CDs from its stores come July 1. At one point, Best Buy was the most powerful music merchandiser in the U.S., but nowadays it's a shadow of its former self, with a reduced and shoddy offering of CDs. Sources suggest that the company's CD business is nowadays only generating about $40 million annually. While it says it's planning to pull out CDs, Best Buy will continue to carry vinyl for the next two years, keeping a commitment it made to vendors. The vinyl will now be merchandised with the turntables, sources suggest.

Meanwhile, sources say that Target has demanded to music suppliers that it wants to be sold on what amounts to a consignment basis. Currently, Target takes the inventory risk by agreeing to pay for any goods it is shipped within 60 days, and must pay to ship back unsold CDs for credit. With consignment, the inventory risk shifts back to the labels.

According to those sources, Target gave the ultimatum to both music and video suppliers in the fourth quarter of last year that it wants to switch to scanned-based trading, with a target date of Feb. 1. But while it is proceeding to push DVD vendors to switch to scan-based trading terms (i.e. the chain would pay for DVDs after they are sold or scanned while being rung up at the register), it has moved the deadline back to music suppliers to either April 1 or May 1. So far, music manufacturers are not sure what they are going to do, but sources within the various camps say that at least one major is leaning no, while the other two majors are undecided.

If the majors don't play ball and give in to the new sale terms, it could considerably hasten the phase down of the CD format.

Target has greatly reduced its music presence over the years. Once upon a time carried as many as 800 music titles, and nowadays seems to carry less than 100 titles in most stores. Yet, it can still be a powerful force on big titles. For example, the chain moved over 500,000 CDs of Taylor Swift's Reputation album.

Music manufacturers suggest they are waiting to see what happens with DVDs. If the studios don't give into Target's demands, will Target pull DVDs from the store? How that plays out will likely influence what happens in music, sources suggest.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 49939
I have yet to purchase a single music CD in my life. They were obsolete long ago IMO.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 27575
I worry with the loss of physical media, the loss of the album in popular music will soon follow. It will be a race to produce the most popular single.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonstart View Post
I have yet to purchase a single music CD in my life. They were obsolete long ago IMO.
How old are you ??
Old 02-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
I did a Microsoft conference in 2010 or so, and they said then the physical media was dead...ceptin vinyl of course.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 270274
Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonstart View Post
Me neither!

Old 02-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 49939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
How old are you ??
29, I’m cheap and always have been.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Me neither!

Pffft...

Last edited by Mikel; 02-03-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ebs

Member # 20043
Shopping for my last two laptops, not having an optical/bluray drive was a deal breaker, but to be honest I don't think I ever used it. Actually the only time I ever used the optical drive was to burn a couple CDs because I'm stuck in the stone age with a daily driver that doesn't have an aux input.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 139345
I still buy cds but I dont buy them from stores anymore. I buy them online direct from whoever made it. I used to be at Best Buy every Tuesday that something I wanted was being released, then I had kids and dont have time fo dat.

Looking at my stack of cds I think about the thousands of dollars I spent on all of them. Im not sure if I am mad or just dont care, but its crazy money if I add it up.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
I'm probably one of the only guys out there who still buys CDs, but it damn sure isn't from Target. I buy them all online and at actual shows, which generally supports the smaller bands better anyway.

I think buying a digital copy only is bullshit. I don't like the idea that the folks who sell it to you can basically go tits up and out of business, or pull the rights at any time and poof, you don't have a copy anymore. Sure, I don't ride around with a fat ass book of CDs on the transmission hump of the truck like I did when I was 20 years old (thank you MP3), but I count my CDs as an insurance policy, and they have been copied to digital format and even lost several times over. Always have that hard copy to rip over and over again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke View Post
I worry with the loss of physical media, the loss of the album in popular music will soon follow. It will be a race to produce the most popular single.

I'm guessing albums will still be a thing, but only for music that isn't top 40. The people who religiously listen to that trash have music playlists that resemble the local top 40 stations anyway, so I'm not sure those of us who listen to other music will really be missing out on much. I think anything non-mainstream is still going to be selling albums through other smaller vendors, or on Amazon.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 377
Does Target have the buying power to make such demands?
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
As soon as I bought the first Ipod stick, I threw out all my CD's. Never looked at one since. I bought a CD drive for my new computer 6 years ago and have used it once.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
Shopping for my last two laptops, not having an optical/bluray drive was a deal breaker, but to be honest I don't think I ever used it. Actually the only time I ever used the optical drive was to burn a couple CDs because I'm stuck in the stone age with a daily driver that doesn't have an aux input.
Aux input is a thing of the past. Once you go to a Bluetooth reciever you'll wonder why you didn't do it ages ago. Rip all your music as you buy it, and move it all to your phone. You keep your phone, and thus your music library on you at all times. Mine was a lot more costly, but looking back I'd have been happy with a $50 marine unit. I can do regular AM/FM, thumb drives, aux, Bluetooth, CDs, SiriusXM, etc. and I only use the Bluetooth feature, and rarely the CD player if I haven't had time to rip a disc yet.

Plus, hands free phone calls are pretty kickass in a 25+ year old vehicle.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

Old 02-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 136091
Location: Back in the good 'ol U S of A after three long deployements!
I just got a new laptop for work. We get new ones about ever three years. My last one that I just traded in in December didn't have an optical drive. Neither does this one. I often wonder why I still have CD, and increasingly DVD, hanging around the house.

1989 XJ on 35s Work in Progress
GFY Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 696761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
I'm probably one of the only guys out there who still buys CDs, but it damn sure isn't from Target. I buy them all online and at actual shows, which generally supports the smaller bands better anyway.

I think buying a digital copy only is bullshit. I don't like the idea that the folks who sell it to you can basically go tits up and out of business, or pull the rights at any time and poof, you don't have a copy anymore. Sure, I don't ride around with a fat ass book of CDs on the transmission hump of the truck like I did when I was 20 years old (thank you MP3), but I count my CDs as an insurance policy, and they have been copied to digital format and even lost several times over. Always have that hard copy to rip over and over again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke View Post

I'm guessing albums will still be a thing, but only for music that isn't top 40. The people who religiously listen to that trash have music playlists that resemble the local top 40 stations anyway, so I'm not sure those of us who listen to other music will really be missing out on much. I think anything non-mainstream is still going to be selling albums through other smaller vendors, or on Amazon.
I too prefer a physical copy but recently heard about CD rot.

https://tedium.co/2017/02/02/disc-rot-phenomenon/amp/

Now I'm not sure wtf to buy, vinyl I guess?

Last edited by Four_sixty; 02-03-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Four_sixty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Spotify. Don't care.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 139345
I still like opening a new cd and looking at the booklet inside. Hard to get that feeling in a download. Hell I have a few cds that have scent too, how you gonna do that with a download.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Sniff a roll of Scotch tape while downloading?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 127719
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFooMASTA View Post
I still like opening a new cd and looking at the booklet inside. Hard to get that feeling in a download. Hell I have a few cds that have scent too, how you gonna do that with a download.
This. I'm too young to have had that experience with vinyl, but I enjoyed doing it with CDs. I'd pop a new cd in my Walkman and listen to the whole thing while reading the lyric book.

I also still have my GIANT cd binder that I'd take with me every time I drove.

Tow Pig: 86 F350 Turbo 6.9/ZF5 4x4 converted dually

Quote:
old Chevy vs new Chevy ? nobody gives a fuck
please kick yourself in the cunt,
oneofakind97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_sixty View Post
I too prefer a physical copy but recently heard about CD rot.

https://tedium.co/2017/02/02/disc-rot-phenomenon/amp/

Now I'm not sure wtf to buy, vinyl I guess?
Mine have always been kept in a climate controlled closet past the days of living in my truck, but I can't say any of my 20+ year old CDs have faired worse than the hard drives I've had fail before 10 years of age.

Vinyl is just for nostalgia. "Nostalgia" from millenials who never got to actually experience it in the first place. I know exactly one person who likes vinyl, and that was my best friend's dad growing up. He liked playing hippy guitar and loved his old vinyl. That was in the 90s. Even my parents had a big collection, and that shit sat in a storage house we owned from 1985 until they threw them out. They were on the CD bandwagon pretty quickly.

Anybody I've met who likes it now doesn't hardly remember the 90s.

Quote:

Old 02-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
People still buy physical media? WHY!

You buy on amazon, you get a 320 quality rip. You get to download it without cost and do whatever you want with it. You stick it all on a jump drive and *tada* music on the go.

As to "hard drive failure" it is real simple folks. You move your data every 3 years to a new drive system. Doesn't cost a lot, and keeps your data safe.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.

Last edited by Overbear; 02-03-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 08:24 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 123554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
Aux input is a thing of the past. Once you go to a Bluetooth reciever you'll wonder why you didn't do it ages ago. Rip all your music as you buy it, and move it all to your phone. You keep your phone, and thus your music library on you at all times. Mine was a lot more costly, but looking back I'd have been happy with a $50 marine unit. I can do regular AM/FM, thumb drives, aux, Bluetooth, CDs, SiriusXM, etc. and I only use the Bluetooth feature, and rarely the CD player if I haven't had time to rip a disc yet.

Plus, hands free phone calls are pretty kickass in a 25+ year old vehicle.

Same for the pioneer unit in my truck. I can do all of that, but rarely use anything outside of Bluetooth (for my own library or Pandora) or AM/FM. I have a XM receiver, but never hooked it up. I’m not sure I have played a CD in the past 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 08:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofakind97 View Post
This. I'm too young to have had that experience with vinyl, but I enjoyed doing it with CDs. I'd pop a new cd in my Walkman and listen to the whole thing while reading the lyric book.

I also still have my GIANT cd binder that I'd take with me every time I drove.
When I think Walkman, I think tapes. God, those were awful. Fast forward a predetermined amount of seconds to get to the song you want to hear... I remember recording radio edit music onto tapes as a kid because CD players were fucking expensive.

Too young for 8 track but that had to have been just as bad if not worse. I'm leaving the stock tape player in my '83 Mercury just for the hilarity of it. Probably won't listen to it unless I can find some hair metal tapes somewhere. The car came with Ozzy's "Bark at the Moon" album, but the Texas sun killed that one a few years back.

Quote:

Old 02-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY Racing View Post
Neither does this one. I often wonder why I still have CD, and increasingly DVD, hanging around the house.

I've wondered that, but every time my internet goes out for 4 days while I wait on my service call, I am reminded. I haven't bought a CD in like 10 years, but I completely understand the benefit of having your content saved vs streamed on your HD. That is in addition to the idiocy of paying for a monthly subscription to a streaming service and never owning a damn thing when it's done.

For instance: I downloaded some movie onto the Netflix app on my ipad to watch at night on a camping trip last spring. Sometime between the download and when I went to pull up a movie, the permissions for the app were lost and I was asked to re log in on my account. Guess what...no service, I couldn't log in. Had I ripped a DVD instead, I would have been fine.

I keep a large amount of music in MP3 vs streaming just because of that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in