The Road Chose Me: Jeep Wrangler around Africa. 2 years, 30+ countries, 80,000 mi. - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Old 04-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittinwidit View Post
Curious, does Africa chill their beer like the US, or serve warm like Germany?
In virtually all the countries the daytime temps are in the 100F-120F range, which means the beer is served as close to ice as possible !

After a long day, and because they are less than $1 each for double-size beers, it's easy to chug down 3-4 before you really think about it.

-Dan
Old 04-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 189138
Quote:
Curious, does Africa chill their beer like the US, or serve warm like Germany?
You know, I've been traveling the US and Canada since 1990. About 35 trips or so. The amount of Americans that assume that germans drink their beer warm is amazing.
Let me assure you: We don't. Legal age for drinking beer is 16. I started a bit earlier (like most country boys). I'm in my mid 40's now, so I've been doing it for a while. We drink our beer cold. I've traveled all over germany. I've never found a place that served warm beer.
ilten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 90667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilten View Post
You know, I've been traveling the US and Canada since 1990. About 35 trips or so. The amount of Americans that assume that germans drink their beer warm is amazing.
Let me assure you: We don't. Legal age for drinking beer is 16. I started a bit earlier (like most country boys). I'm in my mid 40's now, so I've been doing it for a while. We drink our beer cold. I've traveled all over germany. I've never found a place that served warm beer.
Just going by what friends who visited there told me and I have a mother-in-law that used to sell beer back in the day there. She said alot of them could not afford the coolers much less the electricity to feed them. Said it was common among the people who served from their house. Maybe things have changed but I became a freak that prefers my beer room temp due to better flavor of the malts and hops. Was taught to drink warm beer but that was after the craft beers took off and not Inbev domestic scank.
Gittinwidit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 189138
Well, I do remember family gatherings in the '70s. Wasn't allowed to drink bach then, but my uncles preferred cold beer.
I'll ask my neighbor who recently turned 93 how they drank their beer back in the day, but I guess cold.... He was in Africa with Rommel though, could be that they had to make do with warm beer back then.
ilten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2018, 04:51 AM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

My latest video is on YouTube now:

Driving across the Republic of Congo !

The country was not at all what I expected, and I loved it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOn47q06RRM

-Dan

Last edited by Grecy; 04-17-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Grecy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2018, 05:30 AM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
Great update, Keep them coming
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Looking forward to the next episode about crossing through the DRC.
How many miles in total are going to drive through there, and are you planning on staying the night or just getting through as fast as possible?
Yota Up is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 12:44 AM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
Looking forward to the next episode about crossing through the DRC.
How many miles in total are going to drive through there, and are you planning on staying the night or just getting through as fast as possible?
Actually my videos are long behind my real position.
You can read all about my DRC crossing, my route and rationale here:

Congo Concludes | The Road Chose Me

(keep clicking "next story" at the bottom to read them all)

It was absolutely the most mind-bending place I have ever been in my life. Like a whole new planet.

-Dan
Old 04-18-2018, 04:20 AM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 171786
Quote:
When I was stationed at Hanh AB I lived in a small town named Soren and they had a little ceramic plate heater they'd use to warm the ceramic mugs to take the cold out of the beer and make it cool for the old timers. All the beer I had in Germany, Europe and Old Eastern Block was cold, (1990-2000)

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
Sin52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 AM   #111 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Quote:
Just going by what friends who visited there told me and I have a mother-in-law that used to sell beer back in the day there. She said alot of them could not afford the coolers much less the electricity to feed them. Said it was common among the people who served from their house. Maybe things have changed but I became a freak that prefers my beer room temp due to better flavor of the malts and hops. Was taught to drink warm beer but that was after the craft beers took off and not Inbev domestic scank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin52 View Post
When I was stationed at Hanh AB I lived in a small town named Soren and they had a little ceramic plate heater they'd use to warm the ceramic mugs to take the cold out of the beer and make it cool for the old timers. All the beer I had in Germany, Europe and Old Eastern Block was cold, (1990-2000)

The brewmaster at a local brewery that brews only very traditional Barvarian lagers claims that his beer should be cool, not "ice cold" and usually makes references to the color changing mountains on cans. The only reason cheap beer needs to be so cold is because the cold numbs your taste buds so you can't taste how shitty it really is.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 39791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
Hi All,

My latest video is on YouTube now:

Driving across the Republic of Congo !

The country was not at all what I expected, and I loved it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOn47q06RRM

-Dan
Grecy, one of my sons just got back from a couple years in Cameroon, Gabon, and the Republic of Congo. He loved living in Brazzaville. Awesome people there. He'll be stoked to watch your video.

My other son who lived in Benin enjoyed your Togo video, but was bummed that you didn't post up a Benin video. Any chance of that in the future? He lived in the south in Cotonou, Cococodji, and Kokotome, not too far off the RNIE 1 / Les Routes Nationales Inter-Etat (that's the National Interstate Route for you heathens) .

Keep up the cool vids. I think I've seen all of them so far. Good times.

__
Old 04-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Anyone ever ask you for an autograph, Mr. Rick Grimes of Walking Dead?
Yota Up is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi all,

Lots of people have asked about the DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo)
I just uploaded a video of the crossing, which was by far the most intense few days of my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV8V3GdOcPU

Mud, winches, mud, The Mighty Congo River & extremely remote villages.

The DRC was VERY different than anywhere I have ever been on this planet.

-Dan
Old 05-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

After 32,000 miles through 21 countries in Africa, I have officially reached the Southern-most tip of Africa, which is the half way point of the expedition.
Already it has been the adventure of my lifetime, and it's only half way done!

From here, it's North through another 15 or so countries on my way to Egypt in the North East. I hope you'll join me for the adventure.

Also, less than a couple of hundred yards from the southern tip I had my first "car crash"!
Rea the whole story here Cape Agulhas – The Southern Tip Of Africa! | The Road Chose Me

-Dan
Old 05-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 21100
Look forward to reading it in the morning.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
I've never even heard that

Where I'm from, the English were known to drink "warm beer", but I doubt that's accurate either. Mostly a joke about Lucas refrigerators

I think everybody drank "warm" beer if you go back before modern refrigeration, when beer was stored in tanks in cellars.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

Before setting out to circle Africa, I drove 40,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina on the Pan-Am Highway & finally I have published a book about my adventure:

My first taste of Overland adventures changed my life. This book is a collection of the adventures I had, the people I met and the lessons they taught me. It has taken me many years to write because it took many years for the lessons to sink in!

I hope it will inspire you to get out there and live adventures of your own!

AVAILABLE NOW: Grab a print or digital copy on Amazon, or (very soon) apple iBooks.

https://amzn.to/2wkxceX

-Dan
Old 05-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #119 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Very cool, thanks for continuing to post here.

How'd you get across the Darien Gap?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 693929
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
Very cool, thanks for continuing to post here.

How'd you get across the Darien Gap?
He has most of everything written out on his website. I was very interested in how he did it aswell when I first heard of his first adventure.

The Darien Gap | The Road Chose Me
JDalcour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

After reaching the Southern Tip and half way point, I continued around to Cape Town.

The scenery along the way is simply stunning, and reminds me of the Great Ocean Road in Australia - actually I think it's even better.

And they have penguins. Yes, really.

More: Towards Cape Town | The Road Chose Me

Upon arriving in Cape Town I did the only logical thing - hiked directly to the top of Table Mountain. The view made the hike worthwhile!

More: Table Mountain Hike | The Road Chose Me

It's been nice to relax and thoroughly enjoy reaching the half way point, but now it's time to move North. I'm extremely excited for the Cape to Cairo run that now lies ahead!

-Dan
Old 05-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #122 (permalink)
Marion Cobretti

Member # 40131
Fucking awesome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #123 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blazer View Post
Fucking awesome
Yep. That's pretty fucking awesome.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 85771
I get excited when I get to take my Jeep down a mile dirt road. This is all insane really. I mean that in the best way possible.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 49939
My wife and I probably watched all of your africa videos this evening. We enjoyed them much. I will say, to me the videos seem dark? I had to turn up the brightness on the TV.

The scale of your trip boggles my mind. 32k miles already is nuts. In those conditions, thats got to be the equivlent of 300k on the JK.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in