The Road Chose Me: Jeep Wrangler around Africa. 2 years, 30+ countries, 80,000 mi. - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonstart View Post
My wife and I probably watched all of your africa videos this evening. We enjoyed them much. I will say, to me the videos seem dark? I had to turn up the brightness on the TV.

The scale of your trip boggles my mind. 32k miles already is nuts. In those conditions, thats got to be the equivlent of 300k on the JK.
Thanks for the feedback. I have trouble editing photos and videos because in the full sun I wind up making things too dark....

The trip has certainly blown my mind, and continues to do so every day!

-Dan
Old 05-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #127 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 145369
I had no idea you had a thread on PBB!! Awesome! I've been following you on Instagram for almost a year now. Very cool stuff Dan!

I'll be traveling to Rwanda in late June for a mission trip, and cant wait to see just a glimpse of what you are experiencing day in and day out!!

Save travels buddy!
Old 05-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

I have just posted a new video on YouTube, this one is about the 6 weeks I spent exploring all over Angola.

It's only the second country on the entire continent I have extended my visa in, so you can imagine how much I enjoyed my time there.
Angola really has everything you can imagine, and now the visa is getting easier and easier to get. I hear some nationalities can now get it on arrival at the border. Sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOfaGlI_KGo

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOfaGlI_KGo[/VIDEO]

For anyone thinking about it, get yourself to Angola!

-Dan
Old 06-10-2018, 01:54 AM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

Everyone always asks how the Jeep is running, if there have been any failures and what work I have had to do to it.

All the details on all the Maintenance, repairs and some key upgrades I have done to the Jeep are in the latest FREE edition of JPFreek Adventure Magazine - you can read the article here - JPFreek Adventure Magazine Spring 2018 Page 64

Fire away with any questions you have about everything.

The Jeep should be good now for another 40,000 miles on the famous Cape to Cairo run on the East Coast!

-Dan

Last edited by Grecy; 06-10-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Grecy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

After over 6,500 miles through South Africa, I cut through Swaziland briefly, and now I I have driven into country number 23, Mozambique!

The border crossing was easy and hassle-free. I was told becuase it was raining there would be no Poilce to bribe me on the roads. Perfect!

More: Into Mozambique | The Road Chose Me

From the capital of Maputo I have moved up the coast and found paradise in the little beach side town of Tofo. I rented a surfboard and am now living the beach life!

More: http://theroadchoseme.com/tofo-mozambique

Speaking Portuguese again is great fun, the water is warm and the beers are cold and cheap. I suspect I might stay a while!

-Dan
Old 06-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 560674
Awesome adventure. Sub'd for updates.
84CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 52443
jealous. very.

Rock on dude!!!
Old 06-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Still enjoying this!
Thanks for all the updates!
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 21320
Awesome
Old 07-03-2018, 12:06 AM   #135 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
thank you for this.

unreal.

88 ranger ext cab p.o.s. hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 inch tires depending on the mission at hand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
how ya like me now??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2018, 07:30 AM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

After a great time on the beach in Mozambique, I have driven into African country number 24, Zimbabwe.
The Immigration guy in Mozambique didn't want to let me leave, though after a few hours of patience he finally let me go. As beautiful as it was, I don't really want to get stuck there!

Right from the get-go the mountains in the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe are stunning, and provide tons of gravel roads to explore and endless wildcamping.

Read more: The Eastern Highlands around Chimanimani | The Road Chose Me

The country feels free and happy to be rid of their dictator who was kicked out by the military just under a year ago. Finally people can talk about how bad Mugabe was, and they seem all the happier for it! It feels like the country has a very bright future.

... And then, even more mountains and exploring

More: Even More Zimbabwe Mountains | The Road Chose Me

I'm loving this place and the laid-back and friendly locals and already know I want to stay longer than my 4 week visa!

-Dan
Old 08-11-2018, 03:59 AM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

Zimbabwe is continuing to blow my mind. Every day provides something new - it's always stunning, and there is never anyone around.

In the south I checked out the region near Matopos National Park which has a lot of beautiful places and great remote places to explore.

We found an awesome cave full of ancient paintings on the side of a mountain. Really, really cool

More: Around Matopos National Park | The Road Chose Me

Since then we've been checking out Mana Pools National Park. We camped right on the banks of the Zambezi River looking out to Zambia. Elephants walked right through camp, and at night a Hyena came within 20 feet of me, and we could hear lions roaring not too far away while sitting around the fire. Spine tingling.

People ask how close we get to the big animals.
Close!

This guy with the AK47 was our guard while walking around looking for lions. We could hear two different prides roaring with us in the middle - though we never did see them. Doing it on foot is a whole different experience!

A ton more pics here: Mana Pools National Park | The Road Chose Me

Also I just uploaded the latest YouTube video, showing our time in Botswana. Being extremely close to lions is hard to forget!
https://youtu.be/-eTCPCky9q8
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/-eTCPCky9q8[VIDEO]

-Dan

Last edited by Grecy; 08-11-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:08 AM   #138 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 74936
Thank you!

I miss my Kayla.
daddytall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

After a total of 38,668 miles I have driven into African country number 25 - Zambia!

I'm really looking forward to this one, and finally I feel like progress is being made on this "to the North" segment of the expedition.

The map on the hood is getting filled in by the day!

You can read about the whole border crossing here:
Into Zambia | The Road Chose Me

-Dan
Old 08-29-2018, 03:04 AM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi Everyone,

Zambia is off to a stunning start.
I have been playing with Chimpanzees again, hiking into beautiful waterfalls, exploring wilderness areas and ancient caves, and I even managed to run the Jeep out of gas!
FAIL!

To read those stories, checkout these two pages:
Chimfunshi Chimp Orphanage | The Road Chose Me

Mutinondo Wilderness, Caves & Waterfalls | The Road Chose Me

--

Also the latest edition of the FREE JPFreek Adventure Magazine just came out!
http://static4.theroadchoseme.com/wp...cover-800.jpeg

JPFreek Adventure Magazine Summer 2018

There is a big update from me, and the Editor Eric has built a wicked offroad trailer that has me drooling.
I've never been a trailer guy, but he has me seriously thinking about it for the future!

You can read all about his trailer build here: JPFreek Adventure Magazine Summer 2018 Page 14

-Dan

Last edited by Grecy; 08-29-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:32 AM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 49939
Ugh, All of the photos on this page are broken on my browser. Thanks for the updates.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2018, 05:04 PM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonstart View Post
Ugh, All of the photos on this page are broken on my browser. Thanks for the updates.
Mine too. I don't know what's going on - I'm just putting them in there with regular BB Code, exactly like the forum wants me to.

Does anyone know why my images are not showing up?

-Dan
Old 08-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #143 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 95131
Too cool stuff, and you're taking us all with you.

I like what you wrote about people not being adventurous as in the past. It is so true. Even in a micro level. People used to have hunting and fishing camps that took days/weeks/months to get to and whole seasons would be spent there. Now, if it's more than a couple hours from home, or an hour from some bigger town, it's just too far away and no-one goes.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyfixin View Post
Too cool stuff, and you're taking us all with you.

I like what you wrote about people not being adventurous as in the past. It is so true. Even in a micro level. People used to have hunting and fishing camps that took days/weeks/months to get to and whole seasons would be spent there. Now, if it's more than a couple hours from home, or an hour from some bigger town, it's just too far away and no-one goes.
Not only is it too far away, it's "too dangerous". Like somehow things are more dangerous now than they used to be - which is completely insane.

I just finsihed reading the book by the first guy ever to sail solo around the world (Joshua Solcum in ~1895). The people he met and the adventures he had were amazing, and it was really cool to read about attitudes back then. People used to get on boats all the time to sail to far away places and think nothing of it. Sure, some died, some had accidents and some found paradise and never came back, but that's the whole point of adventure!

Part of me wishes I had been alive back then (though I'm not a sailor at all! - I get sea sick quickly)

-Dan
Old 08-29-2018, 08:30 PM   #145 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 95939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Namibia is the one place in Africa that I'd like to visit. I've see documentaries where this guy got video from an ultarlight of elephants 'surfing' down huge sand dunes by swimming with their front legs and dragging the rears like a rudder. And of lions eating a whale carcass...that's not something you see every day.
That definitely sounds like something worth seeing.

As the slaughter of WW2 fades, the young gear up for something they will wish they had not wished for.

Quote:
I hope the little stickie out leg on the R gives you a rectal tear as you shove it up your ass.
DR. SMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #146 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 95939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
There are a lot of different ways to approach it.. my rule is to be VERY respectful. Take off my sunglasses, shake hands (always), be very polite and then be firm. When they ask for money I ask if they are bribing me, I ask for something in return, and I get stubborn and wait them out. Sometimes I make tea, sometimes I say I'll just camp right there, etc. etc.

Here's a video I took of the checkpoints in Nigiera. At the end I caught one genuine bribery attempt on film. This is almost always how they go down, from Mexico to Argentina, Morocco to South Africa - it's always similar to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RTlDa2cg0o

-Dan
More English speaking check points than I had in Colombia and panama.

As the slaughter of WW2 fades, the young gear up for something they will wish they had not wished for.

Quote:
I hope the little stickie out leg on the R gives you a rectal tear as you shove it up your ass.
DR. SMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. SMASHER View Post
More English speaking check points than I had in Colombia and panama.
English is the official language of Nigeria.

Also, I always find the language barrier works to my advantage in bribery situations. All through Latin America (inc. Panama and Colombia) I said "No Entiendo" so many times I was sick of hearing it, but it worked a treat.

-Dan
Old 09-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi Everyone,

Just for the fun of it, I'm running a prize pack giveaway !

Up for grabs are:

A Traditional Tinga Tinga oil on canvas painting from East Africa (18″ x 12″)
The Road Chose Me Vol. 1 (Signed) book
The Road Chose Me Africa Embroidered Patch
The Road Chose Me Africa Sticker

For your chance to win, just follow The Road Chose Me on Facebook and Instagram.

The Road Chose Me on Instagram: http://instagram.com/theroadchoseme/

The Road Chose Me on Facebook: http://facebook.com/theroadchoseme/

I'll draw a winner at random on September 13th

Good luck!

-Dan
Old 09-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi Everyone,

I've been exploring remote parts of Zambia and absolutely loving it!

This ferry across a hippo and croc infested river was a highlight - it's a bunch of barrels lashed together, and it's pulled across the fast-flowing river by hand!

More on that here: Splitting North and South Luangwa National Parks | The Road Chose Me

Since then we've treated ourselves to some affordable luxury at Marula Lodge on the banks of the Luangwa River, where we go into the National Park every day at sunrise and sunet.
We keep bumping into large critters like this:

And we even saw this lion chased off the river by hippos! So much for king of the jungle!

And finally! A leopard!

You can see a ton more animal pics in the two posts:
Marula Lodge & South Luangwa National Park Pt. 1 | The Road Chose Me
Marula Lodge & South Luangwa National Park Pt. 2 | The Road Chose Me

Zambia is wild!

-Dan
Old 10-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 196365
I have crossed into Malawi - a painless border crossing.

Story about the crossing here: Into Malawi | The Road Chose Me

I have been camping lakeside and enjoying paradise - Lake Malawi is hard to beat!

Tons more photos here: Cape Maclear, Lake Malawi | The Road Chose Me

and here: North along Lake Malawi | The Road Chose Me

..and now after driving up a mountain, I'm camping at a place called Mushroom Farm overlooking the lake. It's fantastic.

More: Mushroom Farm & Livingstonia | The Road Chose Me

Malawi has been great, though a little difficult. With the language barrier and extreme wealth disparity I found it virtually impossible to connect with the local people - a first on the continent for me.

Tanzania is up next!

-Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in