The Road Chose Me: Jeep Wrangler around Africa. 2 years, 30+ countries, 80,000 mi. - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #176 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 74936
Thanks again for taking the time to post your adventure here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I miss my Kayla.
daddytall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #177 (permalink)

Member # 164155
Very cool!
Crawl Away is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #178 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
I made a stop at a Mursi village before driving myself into a huge gas shortage that is impacting all of Ethiopia.
How much did it cost to tour the Mursi village? It's crazy that a real life human zoo basically is in business like that.

Oh, and those guys with the AKs don't look happy.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII View Post
I always had the perception that Africa was far too dangerous to travel like this in today's world. Obviously, it is very dangerous, but you seem to be having few issues concerning your safety. What a trip of a life time.
The media has only shown you 1% of what actually happens in Africa.

Imagine you lived on the other side of the world and the only thing you ever heard about America was the mass shooting, wildfires, tornadoes and other violent events.
Of course we know there are hundreds of millions of people living wonderful and happy lives in America, and that bad stuff doesn't happen all the time to everyone.

Africa is exactly the same, just 4 times bigger.

-Dan
Old 03-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #180 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
How much did it cost to tour the Mursi village? It's crazy that a real life human zoo basically is in business like that.

Oh, and those guys with the AKs don't look happy.
I don't remember the exact price, but the guide and scout (guy with a gun) were mandatory, so the total was close to $50 USD I think.

The guys with the AKs were extremely friendly and smiling and shaking hands, but they put on the tough guy look when posing for the photos!

-Dan
Old 03-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #181 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

I drove back over the horrendous road and into Ethiopia, and after driving the Jeep to over 14,080 ft. in the Simien Mountains in Ethiopia, I was happy to make it out of that country safely and without incident.

In all my expeditions around the world, Ethiopia is the only country I have ever felt unsafe in, and certainly very unwelcome.
It's a beautiful place, but it has some serious problems right now. Unfortunately I feel like I can't recommend a visit, which is really sad.

You can read about the mountains here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-1
and here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-2

And now I have driven into African country number 34, Sudan!

The border was time consuming, but more-or-less what I have come to accept as normal. Dropping out of the mountains the temperature skyrocketed well over 110F.
Border crossing story here: Ethiopia Ends / Into Sudan | The Road Chose Me

For the first night I just wild camped off the road. Everyone says it's insanely safe here, and I have felt welcome right from the get-go.

Now in Sudan, I just paid $0.35/gal for gas - easily the cheapest I have ever paid on the continent, and in my life. It's nice to get a whole tank for $7 !

People here are insanely friendly, and now I'm looking forward to wild camping out in the desert!

Full story about what Sudan feels like here: To Khartoum | The Road Chose Me

I can't believe I only have one more border to cross. After almost three years on the road it's going to be very surreal to "finish".

-Dan
Old 03-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #182 (permalink)

Member # 57128
How did your jeep's engine do at that high elevation of 14k?
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #183 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Hi All,

I drove back over the horrendous road and into Ethiopia, and after driving the Jeep to over 14,080 ft. in the Simien Mountains in Ethiopia, I was happy to make it out of that country safely and without incident.

In all my expeditions around the world, Ethiopia is the only country I have ever felt unsafe in, and certainly very unwelcome.
It's a beautiful place, but it has some serious problems right now. Unfortunately I feel like I can't recommend a visit, which is really sad.

You can read about the mountains here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-1
and here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-2

And now I have driven into African country number 34, Sudan!

The border was time consuming, but more-or-less what I have come to accept as normal. Dropping out of the mountains the temperature skyrocketed well over 110F.
Border crossing story here: Ethiopia Ends / Into Sudan | The Road Chose Me

For the first night I just wild camped off the road. Everyone says it's insanely safe here, and I have felt welcome right from the get-go.

Now in Sudan, I just paid $0.35/gal for gas - easily the cheapest I have ever paid on the continent, and in my life. It's nice to get a whole tank for $7 !

People here are insanely friendly, and now I'm looking forward to wild camping out in the desert!

Full story about what Sudan feels like here: To Khartoum | The Road Chose Me

I can't believe I only have one more border to cross. After almost three years on the road it's going to be very surreal to "finish".

-Dan
Dan, did you plan 5 days in Uganda, 4 days in DRC, 6 days in Egypt, etc. or do you just keep pushing on each day?
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #184 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
How did your jeep's engine do at that high elevation of 14k?
It was down on power for sure, but otherwise didn't show any signs of being unhappy. It fired right up even after a very chilly night, didn't smoke at all, etc.

On the steepest uphills I though about dropping into low range because it almost didn't have enough power in regular 1st to actually climb.

-Dan
Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #185 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Dan, did you plan 5 days in Uganda, 4 days in DRC, 6 days in Egypt, etc. or do you just keep pushing on each day?
I don't plan like that at all, it would make the trip too difficult and overwhelming. Then when your plan goes to crap (it will), you'll feel all kinds of stress about it not working.

When I drove AK-Argentina I found something around a month to be a good amount of time per country, and that's roughly what I figured for Africa - but nothing was planned or locked in.
Obviously it's less in the tiny countries (Togo, Benin) and more in the massive ones (South Africa, Namibia), or just the countries I loved and wanted to stay longer (Zimbabwe, Mali).

Usually for me after 2 weeks I fall into the groove of a country, after 3 weeks I've seen a really good amount, and then before my 1 month Visa expires I'm ready for the next country.

-Dan
Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #186 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

I have driven the length of Sudan, exploring the desert and wild camping every single night.

Tons more photos on my website.

Now after crossing the most expensive, complicated and convoluted border of my life, I have driven into Egypt. The 35th and final African country on this expedition!

All the details on the border crossing and madness here: Into Egypt | The Road Chose Me

I'm loving this place already!

-Dan
Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 AM   #187 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
I don't plan like that at all, it would make the trip too difficult and overwhelming. Then when your plan goes to crap (it will), you'll feel all kinds of stress about it not working.

When I drove AK-Argentina I found something around a month to be a good amount of time per country, and that's roughly what I figured for Africa - but nothing was planned or locked in.
Obviously it's less in the tiny countries (Togo, Benin) and more in the massive ones (South Africa, Namibia), or just the countries I loved and wanted to stay longer (Zimbabwe, Mali).

Usually for me after 2 weeks I fall into the groove of a country, after 3 weeks I've seen a really good amount, and then before my 1 month Visa expires I'm ready for the next country.

-Dan
Yeah, for sure. Longest trip I took was 33 days under the border. Traveled the full length of Baja, over to Mazatlan via ferry, and eventually ended up in Belize trying to out run a string of hurricanes. This back in the mid-80's. We didn't really have much of an itinerary, just would get up in the morning to surf and then take it from there. If the surf went flat or we got the itch to move on we did, nobody ever complained IIRC, four dudes just living the beach life.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi All,

After almost three years, 35 countries and over 53,000 miles, I have driven right around Africa, and arrived at the Giza Pyramids in Egypt!

I am absolutely ecstatic!!

Read the full story: Cairo and the Pyramids of Giza | The Road Chose Me

Now only the final hurdle remains - shipping the Jeep out of Egypt!

-Dan
Old 04-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #189 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
Hi All,

After almost three years, 35 countries and over 53,000 miles, I have driven right around Africa, and arrived at the Giza Pyramids in Egypt!

I am absolutely ecstatic!!

Read the full story: Cairo and the Pyramids of Giza | The Road Chose Me

Now only the final hurdle remains - shipping the Jeep out of Egypt!

-Dan
Congrats, Dan.

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 05:11 AM   #190 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Hi Everyone,

After the most insane paperwork run-around and bureaucracy of my life, I managed to drive the Jeep into a 20 foot shipping container and seal the door.

Immediately I felt like I was separated from a good friend, a really strange feeling.

After 999 days, I hopped on a plane, and the Jeep is crossing the mighty North Atlantic.

You can read about the insanity here: Africa Ends | The Road Chose Me

I'm still in disbelief that it's over.

More updates to come, including tons of info on costs, what I would do differently, how the Jeep performed, etc. etc.

-Dan
Old 05-08-2019, 05:14 AM   #191 (permalink)

Member # 2578
I'm curious why you didn't venture inland too far - just too remote/nothingness or was it a security thing? You have giant balls, so I wouldn't think that would be the issue! Congrats on the journey, I enjoyed reading about most of it.
Realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #192 (permalink)

Member # 95763
What an epic adventure. I truly enjoyed following you along the way.
KarlVP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #193 (permalink)

Member # 16384
Send a message via AIM to paulevans76
Glad I bumped into this thread again. I spent some time working in Nigeria and Angola 5-6 years ago, and following your journey really captures and brings back what it felt like there. Thanks man, and congrats on your journey! Look forward to the next.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:50 AM   #194 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realsquash View Post
I'm curious why you didn't venture inland too far - just too remote/nothingness or was it a security thing? You have giant balls, so I wouldn't think that would be the issue! Congrats on the journey, I enjoyed reading about most of it.
Inland is Chad, Central African Republic, Interior of DRC, Algeria.

Those are virtually all ISIS hot spots right now, not to be messed with.

-Dan
Old 05-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #195 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 52569
Send a message via MSN to Juztyn00
Been following along, It looks like it's been an Epic Journey, definitely a different view of Africa then most media outlets.. What's the plan now? Are you going to continue on looking for wild new lands or are you going to take a break and sleep in a place with four walls for a bit?
Juztyn00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #196 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Dan, congrats. quite the adventure
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 05:23 AM   #197 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Thanks guys.

The Jeep has arrived in North America, and now I'm on a mission.

I'm presenting, showing the Jeep and speaking on panels at Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ next weekend (17th, 18th, 19th May).

I will also be at many other Overland/4x4 shows over the summer, the full list is here: Touring Overland Shows in 2019 | The Road Chose Me

Let me know if there is a show you think I should go to that isn't on the list currently.

Also, after months of work (It started back in Nairobi, Kenya), I have published my coffee table photography book of Africa!
With 77 full color pages containing a double-page spread on every country, info on the Jeep, the expedition and some fun numbers and quirks too. Each country is a blend of people, landscapes, wildlife and daily life the parts of Africa that I will never forget.
The Jeep and I make the odd appearance too.

It's available now on Amazon!: https://amzn.to/2H93IUH

-Dan
Old 05-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #198 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 173375
I got my dad your first book for Christmas and he really liked it, so I guess I found his gift for next Christmas lol

Last edited by 95stepside; 05-12-2019 at 08:50 AM.
95stepside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in