Trans America Trail. Anyone done it? - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #151 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Highway 49 is a beautiful ride. And itís usually high enough above the valley floor that itís not obnoxiously hot. If you decide to cross in the Nevada four or 88 are nice. I used to live in that area and itís a great motorcycle riding.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 9233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
Lemme know if you come through here and I'll meet ya at one of the local breweries.

Hwy 80 to Hwy 174, to Hwy 49, the Hwy 20 is a real nice ride. If you have another day, instead of hitting 20, head to Downieville on Hwy 49 and check out the Sierra Buttes.

Both would be nice rides, The Downieville run brings bikers from all over. It's made for that sorta thing.

P.S. Check out the "Inn Town Campround" in Nevada City. It's a new Glampground with nice amenities.
We stayed at the camp ground in Sierra City a few years ago and ran the Sierra Buttes. Puddle jumping snow banks in the middle of July was fun.
The coolest part of the trip was being able to ride green sticker bikes through town to the diner for breakfast then ride the buttes, come back through town to the camp ground passing the local law enforcement each way with no issues
woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 07:12 PM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 10091
Send a message via Skype™ to ukjeeper
Back, on the TAT. From Baker to West Wendover, NV. Following the route of the Pony Express along its path on US Route 50 yesterday and now north on 180 miles of gravel road.

Signed the visitor book at canyon camp, but disappointed to see another TAT'er thought it would be OK to sign the box the book is kept in...

Stopped in Gold Hill, but don't think there's much gold there...

And found, by chance, a WWii German Panzer by the roadside!

After lunch, Wendover to Tremonton, UT. Trail north of Wendover was rough. So much washboard! But eventually smoothed out leaving a very pleasant gravel, mud and occasionally sandy ride. Watched the forest forest in hills to the north east, but far enough away not to be concerned.

Eventually reached Kelton. Originally a main line station for the Trans Pacific Railway, now almost nothing remains, except the ruins of the hotel and graveyard. Along the trail after leaving Kelton there are small placards showing where the smaller settlements along the railroad used to be.

Finally reached tarmac, after about 300 miles of gravel, and showed the appropriate amount of joy!

Time for something to eat and a place to rest. Idaho tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #154 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukjeeper View Post

There are about 3 small towns along the whole route. One at either end and one in the middle. All relying on the passing tourists to stay alive, so I stopped in Austin (the halfway point) and had lunch at the diner.

Did a 4WD event in Eureka back in 04 and they asked us to be in their 4th of July parade. There is a great bar there, where an old lady sleeps in a chair next to the jukebox. She said she was waiting for Dirty Comanche to come back for more lovin'.
Attached Images

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.

Last edited by Roc Doc; 07-30-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 10091
Hello, Idaho! Very nice ride up from Near Holbrook this morning. Stopping at American Falls for fuel and coffee (and one of the huge cinnamon rolls they make at The Ranch gas station!).

Took the back trail north from American Falls. After I crossed The Great Rift and made it to Arco, I decided to go and see Craters of the Moon national park. Definitely a good choice. A must see if you come through here on the TAT.

After Craters, I picked up the TAT again, with the intention of wild camping somewhere along the trail.

My campsite was picked a little earlier than expected, just as I got to Challis national forest, the CB felt 'off'. Pulled over and found I had a flat rear tyre. Found a huge fence staple right in the middle of the tread. So, out with the Safety Seal plugs and compressor. No drama.

So set up camp, right by the cattle grid entrance to Challis. There must be a fire somewhere nearby as there was ash falling all night, along with the ever pervasive smell of smoke.

Set off at 7am to climb over the mountain pass. Stunning views on the way up, and the trail wasn't too challenging. But the views all the way down the back, to Ketchum! Amazing!

Wasn't a fan of Ketchum. A bit too much 'Stepford Wives' for me. So looked around and headed out.

Rode from Ketchum along the 227, passing the road closed signs, to Smokey Bar Cafe. Got an update from the owner to say it's still fubar, washed-out, so played it safe and dropped down to Fairfield.

I know others have gotten through, in a group, to help carry their bikes. But I'm on my own and lugging 400lbs through washed out roads in 90f has ZERO appeal to me.

So I'm at the convenience store in Fairfield, downing Gatorade and Cliff bars. Fortunately I decided to just chill here, as for the first time on the trip, I left my wallet at the checkout! Fortunately the check out girl saw me outside and got it back to me.

Took the tarmac round to Feathervile, where I'm hotelling it tonight.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 24881
Shoot, I wish I saw this earlier. Right outside of Challis is the Pashimeroi & Mt Borah. One of the cooler places in that area.
notstock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #157 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Great updates, keep an coming

Old 08-02-2018, 12:03 AM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 10091
More pics uploaded to Flickr. Link is above.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:50 AM   #159 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Another long 'slab' today. 480 miles from June Lake, CA to Ely, NV via Reno and US Route 50. Which is billed as "the loneliest road into America". Probably because "400 miles of sweet FA to see" wouldn't have had the same draw.

Literally mile upon mile of nothing. I almost began to miss the 'scenery' of Oklahoma.

Almost...

There are about 3 small towns along the whole route. One at either end and one in the middle. All relying on the passing tourists to stay alive, so I stopped in Austin (the halfway point) and had lunch at the diner.
YOU DID IT WRONG. Shoulda stopped at Middlegate Nevada for a beer.
That's why they call it the Present

óEleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #160 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 150718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
YOU DID IT WRONG. Shoulda stopped at Middlegate Nevada for a beer.

Ever stayed in the ďhotelĒ out back there? Taking a trip out that way next week and middlegate time wise is a nice stopping point for the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xicor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 10091
Rode over the mountains from Featherville, Idaho, to Idaho City. Another great ride. The trail followed the river all the way to the dam with stunning views round every corner. Met up with two New Zealand visitors riding the TAT on their KTMs. And then two more TAT riders from MO.

From Idaho City, over more mountains and through valleys, all on gravel, sand to Payette and into Oregon. Spent the night on the 'beach' by the Snake River. Not the worst place to wild camp.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 10091
Ontario, OR to John Day, OR. Now this is the Oregon I remember! Once the TAT rose up and into the treeline, the scenery went from endless brown dusty hills into shaded forest land. Enjoyable climb up on decent trails, with just enough rough parts to keep you on your toes.

And then the trail emerged onto the forest road. Loved that. Miles of smooth tarmac twisting through the trees. Like Blue Ridge Parkway again, but with zero traffic. Just keep a look out for the cattle, and what they leave on the road...

A welcome relief, as I'd managed to step on a metal tent peg last night while wrestling with my accommodation in the wind, putting a hole in the bottom of my left foot, making gear changes while standing up painful.

Arrived at John Day to find two other TAT'ers heading out. One from Germany and one from New Jersey. An odd combination perhaps.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:33 PM   #163 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Nice write up

I wanna do this trip one day
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 10091
Yesterday ; John Day to Prineville to La Pine, OR.
Today :La Pine to Canyonville, OR
A strange weather day, yesterday. Started out very cold, so cold I had to stop and warm up on the TAT. But by the time I reached Prineville, it was baking hot. Then up to the calderas (East and Paulina Lakes) where it was cold again and raining. Down to La Pine, hot again!

Still, a lot of good trails. The rocks and ruts sections on the way to Prineville, then the Crooked River Highway being the best.

Looked at camping up at the lakes, but way too busy. And cold and wet. So down here in the lowland looking for a site instead.

After I just pulled a decking screw out of the rear tyre, and plugged it. Again..

Today: After plugging the rear tyre last night, I looked for a hotel in La Pine. No luck, all booked. So looked for a USFS campsite. First one was closed, second one was open. But, had a very weird vibe. Could have been because I got stuck, down to the rear axle, getting in. Could have been the homeless guy, sleeping in his car across the way. Could have been the procession of dodgy looking people driving up down the dirt road. Could have been that the very large ants figured out how to get into my tent within 3 minutes of putting it up.

So, I bailed. And got stuck again, trying to get out. Repacked and looked for somewhere else. On the way south I looked back at the calderas where the nice campsites are. Clouded in a thick storm, with lightning. Glad I didn't stay there!

Finally arriving at an out of season Sno Park. In the dark. Found a spot and pitched up.

Woke up this morning, freezing cold. Got dressed and looked around in daylight. There was an unlocked warming hut 20' from my tent. Could have stayed in there and been warm!

So, coffee and fuel down the road and back on the TAT.

Jumped off at Crater Lake and did the tour.

Then headed to Tiller, OR, through thick smoke, fire camps and helicopter landing pads.

Tiller was a ghost town. Didn't see a soul and the fuel station is closed. So shot down the hill to Canyonville, much needed fuel, and a hotel.

Last part of the TAT tomorrow. Looking forward to it, and also not looking forward to it.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #165 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
This is definitely a cool trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Did a 4WD event in Eureka back in 04 and they asked us to be in their 4th of July parade. There is a great bar there, where an old lady sleeps in a chair next to the jukebox. She said she was waiting for Dirty Comanche to come back for more lovin'.

Haha, I lived in Eureka for 2 years, interesting place. The pony express trail is pretty easy to follow from east of Austin to the Utah border and is more interesting than 50. There's decent hot springs east of Austin. The geographical center of Nevada is a piece of rebar pounded into the middle of a valley of sage brush not far from 50. Cold springs station does have good food for the middle of nowhere. There's a pretty cool mostly intact mill maybe 5-10 miles off of 50 between Eureka and Ely. There was a shoe tree in middlegate someone cut down one new years and I think they started a new one but can't remember. If anyone is looking for things to do off of 50 I could probably drop a couple pins on a map.
BarrelRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 10091
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRoll View Post
This is definitely a cool trip.

Haha, I lived in Eureka for 2 years, interesting place. The pony express trail is pretty easy to follow from east of Austin to the Utah border and is more interesting than 50. There's decent hot springs east of Austin. The geographical center of Nevada is a piece of rebar pounded into the middle of a valley of sage brush not far from 50. Cold springs station does have good food for the middle of nowhere. There's a pretty cool mostly intact mill maybe 5-10 miles off of 50 between Eureka and Ely. There was a shoe tree in middlegate someone cut down one new years and I think they started a new one but can't remember. If anyone is looking for things to do off of 50 I could probably drop a couple pins on a map.
There is a boot tree on the 50. I passed it by, and thought wtf!?

I did ride the Pony Express trail, from Baker, NV to West Wendover, NV.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #167 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 150718
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRoll View Post
. If anyone is looking for things to do off of 50 I could probably drop a couple pins on a map.

Iíd love a list of things to see or a few pins. Weíll be driving through west to east on Friday.

Xicor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #168 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
What a great trip. I need to do such someday.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 10091
And so, here I am. The Pacific Coast. Port Orford. The end of the TAT. Five weeks, 9700 miles, 21 states.

Feeling just a little bit stunned. Trip of a lifetime. And now it's done.

Almost anyway. Still 5 days before we (the bike and I) fly home. So, let's see what's between here and Vancouver!

But wait, there's more! (didn't think I was going to just slink off, did you?!)

So, after crossing the 'finish line' at Port Orford, riding the bike down to the beach, spending 20 minutes digging the & #*£ing out and wrestling it back up the slope to safety, I looked for a place to eat. Found "TJ's pub" just down the road. My initials are TJ! Karma?

Then back on the road. Heading north, slowly, via the coastal loops. Stopping to take pics and explore.

Eventually the increasing marine layer, and decreasing cold, pushed me inland. So I dived off and took the 38, Umpqua River Road. Good choice. Very scenic canyon run with the river alongside.

Bonus was the herds of Elk in the fields beside the road. Not seen Elk before.

Was pushing for Eugene, but the hour was getting late, so pulled in at The Lucky Duck RV and campsite. Loads of RV's, but the tent area is empty, clean, grassy and very close to a cell tower! (it's also next to the 5 freeway, but hey ho). And the warden/host hasn't come by, yet...
Old 08-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Awesome/inspirational thread man!!!
Thanks!!!

gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2018, 12:34 AM   #171 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xicor View Post
Iíd love a list of things to see or a few pins. Weíll be driving through west to east on Friday.

This.

Just slightly West of Middlegate, to the North side of Hwy 50 is Dixie Valley. If you drive down the road, you'll see Russian and scrap American tanks camouflaged in the trees. If you're lucky, the fly boys will come buy and play laser tag with ya.

Middlegate bar has great food, and is highly entertaining.Lots of cool stuff if you pop off the Hwy a bit.
That's why they call it the Present

óEleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #172 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:
Hello, Idaho! Very nice ride up from Near Holbrook this morning. Stopping at American Falls for fuel and coffee (and one of the huge cinnamon rolls they make at The Ranch gas station!).

Took the back trail north from American Falls. After I crossed The Great Rift and made it to Arco, I decided to go and see Craters of the Moon national park. Definitely a good choice. A must see if you come through here on the TAT.

After Craters, I picked up the TAT again, with the intention of wild camping somewhere along the trail.

My campsite was picked a little earlier than expected, just as I got to Challis national forest, the CB felt 'off'. Pulled over and found I had a flat rear tyre. Found a huge fence staple right in the middle of the tread. So, out with the Safety Seal plugs and compressor. No drama.

So set up camp, right by the cattle grid entrance to Challis. There must be a fire somewhere nearby as there was ash falling all night, along with the ever pervasive smell of smoke.

Set off at 7am to climb over the mountain pass. Stunning views on the way up, and the trail wasn't too challenging. But the views all the way down the back, to Ketchum! Amazing!

Wasn't a fan of Ketchum. A bit too much 'Stepford Wives' for me. So looked around and headed out.

Rode from Ketchum along the 227, passing the road closed signs, to Smokey Bar Cafe. Got an update from the owner to say it's still fubar, washed-out, so played it safe and dropped down to Fairfield.

I know others have gotten through, in a group, to help carry their bikes. But I'm on my own and lugging 400lbs through washed out roads in 90f has ZERO appeal to me.

So I'm at the convenience store in Fairfield, downing Gatorade and Cliff bars. Fortunately I decided to just chill here, as for the first time on the trip, I left my wallet at the checkout! Fortunately the check out girl saw me outside and got it back to me.

Took the tarmac round to Feathervile, where I'm hotelling it tonight.

Iíve done that

I got into the habit of NEVER laying my wallet down
Itís in my hand or goes back into my pocket

So now I might leave a credit card (done it twice ) somewhere
But wonít leave the whole wallet

Keeep up the report
If youíre ever in Atlanta Georgia , dinner is on me
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 10091
Final update.

Spent a day in Eugene, OR with a friend then wandered up towards Portland, via Evergreen Air Museum at McMinville.

Stayed with Friend in Portland for a couple of days, who took me round to see the sights.

Then back on the road, out to Tillamook, than up the coast to Aberdeen, before turning east and Seattle.

Met up with another friend for dinner and spent the next day exploring.

Pikes Place

Old 08-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #174 (permalink)

Member # 10091
"Gum Wall"

Starbucks #1

Made a trip out to the Air Museum at Sea-Tac (on the day that Darwin Candidate stole a plane and crashed!). The museum was amazing. When you're looking at a 747 and it's ONLY taking up a tiny corner of the 'hangar' you know the museum is huge! Well worth the trip.

(full size panoramic here: https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1771/3...56cbe572_o.jpg )

From Seattle I wanted to get to Vancouver Island. Took the Edmunds - Kingston ferry across Puget Sound rather than go all the way round. Benefit of being on a motorcycle, you jump the 2 hour queue of cars and get straight on the boat!

Rode up the west side of the sound to Port Angeles, camped out (for the last time) beside the Lyre River before catching the ferry, out of the US and into Canada via Victoria. (no '1st on' motorcycle privileges on that boat though!)

Shot up The Trans Canada Highway to Nanaimo, taking in the views across the islands, before yet another ferry (bike privileges in full effect. Jump the queue and 1st on) to the mainland and a ride down to Vancouver. Found a YWCA hostel a couple of blocks from Gastown, which was a great find. CAD$100 vs 2x or 3x times that in a 'proper' hotel. Wandered round Gastown for the evening before my last nights sleep in North America.

Another walk around in the morning, before heading to Air Canada Cargo to drop the bike off and walk over to the terminal (10 minute walk, very useful!) and the flight home.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 10091
Air Canada, unfortunately, managed to add a last minute BS to my trip. Got on the plane, saw my bike and luggage from the window, waiting to be loaded, and then the plane started moving!

Had a minor meltdown, and the crew told me it would be on the next flight (3 hours later). But didn't tell me why my stuff didn't get loaded. Still chasing that up.

Got to the UK, waited the three hours, and the Air Cargo people there did a great job. Had my bike trucked straight to the warehouse from the plane, checked and released in damn quick time.

Edit: Turns it had been booked on the later flight anyway, (small print on the booking confirmation). They did try to get it on my flight, which is why it was out on the tarmac, but not enough room.

From there it was an hour round the outside of London and home. 12 hours sleep, in my own bed.

Annnnd that's it. Done. 22 states, 2 provinces, 11,000 miles, 6 weeks.

Hope you enjoyed my posts. Was a great ride. Links to track, and Flickr, here:

UKJeeper does the USA, on a motorcycle! - UKJeeper - Social Hiking

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ukjeep...57696971574881

Last edited by ukjeeper; 08-15-2018 at 10:28 AM.
ukjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in