Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What to see/do in Roanoke and Nashville (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2632514)

Roxywheels 03-08-2018 07:46 PM

What to see/do in Roanoke and Nashville

Yes, random towns :laughing: We're driving back east for the Ultra4 race in PA in April. Have a couple of planned stops and then I'd like to stop on Roanoke to go to Black Dog Salvage and then we're going to head to Nashville. Arrive in both towns in the evening, stay the night, spend the entire next day there and leave the next morning.

Do I really want to go to the Grand Ole Opry? Johnny Cash Museum? Do I just want to shop and eat myself into a tizzy? Neither of us have been to either towns. Place to eat are also appreciated. :roxy:

Aggie06 03-08-2018 07:52 PM

What to see/do in Roanoke and Nashville

Been a few years since I lived in that area, but downtown Roanoke had some cool bars and restaurants. I donít really remember the names off hand though.

Edit: You can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway around Roanoke. Itís a pretty cool drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SanDiegoCJ 03-08-2018 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxywheels (Post 43327138)
Yes, random towns :laughing: We're driving back east for the Ultra4 race in PA in April. Have a couple of planned stops and then I'd like to stop on Roanoke to go to Black Dog Salvage and then we're going to head to Nashville. Arrive in both towns in the evening, stay the night, spend the entire next day there and leave the next morning.

Do I really want to go to the Grand Ole Opry? Johnny Cash Museum? Do I just want to shop and eat myself into a tizzy? Neither of us have been to either towns. Place to eat are also appreciated. :roxy:

When you're driving from Pa. to Roanoke you can take the route that uses this.

:flipoff2:

Elwenil 03-08-2018 08:11 PM

If you are into car, plane and railroad stuff the Virginia Museum of Transportation is worth a look.

rockmup 03-08-2018 08:50 PM

If you like Johnny Cash, yes, its worth it. So is the CM hall of Fame. I didn't like the Opry at all.

blugreenformula 03-09-2018 06:15 AM

Antique Archaeology (American Pickers show) has a shop in Nashville that is pretty cool. Lots of bars and restaurants in the area also. For dinner, go here ----------> Skull's Rainbow Room - Skull's Rainbow Room

The food is the best I have had in Tennessee, and they have a burlesque show also. It's a really good time, but make reservations and ask for seating near the stage.

CMF 03-09-2018 07:10 AM

Search Noob! :flipoff2:

What are the dates you will be in Nashville?

nashvillescene.com has a nice event listing
https://local.nashvillescene.com/tag...-do-categories

rockota 03-09-2018 07:32 AM

what days of week will you be in Nashville? Want high-end-hipster attractions or "real world folk" attractions? Music? Drink?

Details are helpful. :p

Screwzer2 03-09-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxywheels (Post 43327138)
Do I really want to go to the Johnny Cash Museum?

Fuck No, and you'll realize that within 60 seconds of walking in. I think it's like $20 a head to go in, and see dusty old cowboy outfits and drink a beer in a Cash themed bar.

:homer:

Also, parking is ridiculously expensive in Nashville. The price goes up a buck or so every 3-4 blocks as you get closer to the tourist district.

The bar scene in old downtown is very cool though. Not to be missed.

Screwzer2 03-09-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockmup (Post 43327738)
If you like Johnny Cash, yes, its worth it.

Fer Realz? $20 a head? Oh, and another $20, if ya wanna see Patsy Cline's crap.

I walked in with a group of 3. Ain't no way I'm spending $60, let alone $120, to see a bunch of memorabilia.

:shaking:

rockota 03-09-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screwzer2 (Post 43330314)
Also, parking is ridiculously expensive in Nashville. The price goes up a buck or so every 3-4 blocks as you get closer to the tourist district.

That makes two things you've been correct about in your time here on PBB. :p

Parking ranges from $8/day to $7/hour (yes, $7/hour) even within a couple of blocks of each other.

the_white_shadow 03-09-2018 09:05 AM

There are brisket quesadillas at Broadway Brewhouse on the strip in Nashville. So fucking tasty.

CJNTN 03-09-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screwzer2 (Post 43330314)
Fuck No, and you'll realize that within 60 seconds of walking in. I think it's like $20 a head to go in, and see dusty old cowboy outfits and drink a beer in a Cash themed bar.

Best to just park where you're staying and Uber. Especially if you're boozing. Hell I've lived here 30+ years and never been to the Cash Museum. What about Cheekwood? Details would help.

HAPPYJOHN 03-09-2018 09:23 AM

X2 on old downtown. When I was there, Tootsies was the place to visit, B.B. King had a blues bar within walking distance, great music.

This Hotel had a river running through the lobby/mall area...
Opryland Hotel in Nashville, Tennessee | Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Taurus605 03-09-2018 09:24 AM

There is a Pinball museum in Center in the Square in Roanoke- it is a lot of fun and you can play all day with one entrance fee.

Cornbeef and Company is right across the street and has some good food. There are also a lot of good local restaurants within walking distance. Center in the Square has a parking deck and you can just walk around from there.

I agree with the Transportation Museum. My kids love it and there is a lot of cool stuff to see inside.

You could drive on the Parkway, but it is 45 mph for most of it and will take a long time to get anywhere. Cops also patrol it and love to catch speeders. I drove it from Roanoke back to Lynchburg/Big Island and it took me what seemed like about 2.5 hours. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful drive, but since I live about 15 minutes from it, I have driven most of it throughout Virginia during my lifetime.

Roxywheels 03-09-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockota (Post 43329786)
what days of week will you be in Nashville? Want high-end-hipster attractions or "real world folk" attractions? Music? Drink?

Details are helpful. :p

We're going to get there Thursday late afternoon/evening. Spend Friday there and leave for home on Saturday am. We're probably a mix of high end hipster attractions(me) and real world folk attractions(Robert). :laughing: I tend to want to see the fancy shit and he just humors me as long as I feed him :roxy:

Roxywheels 03-09-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAPPYJOHN (Post 43330786)
X2 on old downtown. When I was there, Tootsies was the place to visit, B.B. King had a blues bar within walking distance, great music.

This Hotel had a river running through the lobby/mall area...
Opryland Hotel in Nashville, Tennessee | Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

What area is actually considered old downtown. Looking at things on the map, it's confusing as fuck :roxy:

CJNTN 03-09-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxywheels (Post 43331850)
What area is actually considered old downtown. Looking at things on the map, it's confusing as fuck :roxy:

Just head to the corner of Second and Broad. You'll see when you get there.

waterhorse 03-09-2018 12:19 PM

In Nashville, there is an "odd car" musium. It has whole bunch cool vehicals like three wheel cars, amphibious cars and millitary stuff and one wheel motorcycles. Worth seeing if your into that stuff. (Like me)

I think it's on the east side.

rockota 03-09-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxywheels (Post 43331818)
We're going to get there Thursday late afternoon/evening. Spend Friday there and leave for home on Saturday am. We're probably a mix of high end hipster attractions(me) and real world folk attractions(Robert). :laughing: I tend to want to see the fancy shit and he just humors me as long as I feed him :roxy:

Thursday or Friday night - I'd hit Tootsies and Roberts Western World. If the Don Kelly band is playing (house band) @ Roberts, they are very worth the time. Fantastic band.

If you're willing to drive, hit Jack Daniels (90 minutes south). Otherwise, there are a number of small breweries downtown that are cool.

I'd also consider hitting up Opryland hotel for the atriums and dinner - it's cool.

Hipster stuff - anything in 12 South.

Midwestzj 03-09-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elwenil (Post 43327362)
If you are into car, plane and railroad stuff the Virginia Museum of Transportation is worth a look.

i agree. it was a fun place to go.

JimKyser 03-09-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ (Post 43327346)
When you're driving from Pa. to Roanoke you can take the route that uses this.

:flipoff2:

Why the fuck would you go that far east to get to Roanoke? It's almost a straight shot down I-81.

Roxywheels 03-09-2018 10:48 PM

Holy crap is lodging expensive there! I thought we would stay close to downtown to make it easier, but then saw the prices of downtown. :eek: :roxy:

Roxywheels 03-09-2018 10:49 PM

Also, can someone explain to me hot chicken :roxy:

[email protected] 03-09-2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxywheels (Post 43336426)
Holy crap is lodging expensive there! I thought we would stay close to downtown to make it easier, but then saw the prices of downtown. :eek: :roxy:

Re: Nashville

Look at vrbo's.

Parking for downtown isn't bad, just park at Nissan stadium as long as it isn't game day and it's free. Then walk across the bride to Broadway.

Lane motor museum is awesome if you are interested in weird cars.

Im actually in Nashville now.