Headed to CA/AZ for Spring Break, need ideas - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #26 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJNTN View Post
Our flight arrives Monday 0930PT. I'm not usually a fan of Monday morning flights but it was the only non-stop to LAX from Nashville.
That won’t be too bad. Heading east sucks after about 2 in the afternoon. At least 210 has a carpool lane.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Quote:
Our flight arrives Monday 0930PT. I'm not usually a fan of Monday morning flights but it was the only non-stop to LAX from Nashville.

If I landed at LAX at that time, I would head over towards Santa monica or Venice area, get a late breakfast/early lunch/bloody mary and check out the beach for a bit/walk around.

And then... Do your hollywood thing.. Then... Avoid barstow, and then...
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 75114
I would probably want to go towards Palm springs or Joshua tree on my way out.
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Oh Jesus Tits....

Member # 17554
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby View Post
Don't do the south rim of the grand canyon. We did it last time we were in Vegas. It's $70 a person and you can only do the 3 stops there. The glass horse shoe and cliff and some tourist trap town they made.
You have to do the south rim because the North Rim is closed until 5/15.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-RAT View Post
True.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 93619
OP- are you cool with your daughter being around marijuana? because Venice is like a Cypress Hill Concert.
SoCalWheeler71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49997
Quote:
I haven't been around the Grand Canyon in 20 years. Can I not just stop and see it a la Joe Dirt style at some random roadside "pull off"? That's what we did when I was there last time. I don't need some city or pay to play place.

There has to be some other cool places to go that everyone is keeping from me. The Wave looked cool until I found out you had to enter the lottery for a permit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiled1 View Post
You can do the South Rim in your car, most people here are commenting on the tour bus from Vegas to the GC via the Reservation. Its very touristy and controlled. You can enter the South Rim via Tusayan and head out the East side towards 89, or vice-versa depending on the direction you are coming from.

Wave permits are tough to get, but if you have 4WD, you can go see White Pocket, no permits. Its right on par with the Wave, just tough to reach. They also have tours out of Kanab or Page that will get you there. Antelope Canyon is a guided tour with a bunch of people, but still nice.

When we were there in September we drove from Vegas to the south rim which is Indian resveration and it was $70 a person to go onto their land and do the glass horse shoe and 3 stops.

If it wasn't 2 hours from anything I would have turned around and left as it was not worth the money.
rugby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
This is my part of the world and I've been over most all of it. If she'd into wildlife this should be prime whale watching season and you can go out of Dana Point and if you don't care about going the long way, head out from the beaches and spend the night in Palm Springs, then head to Vegas as early as possible through the Mojave National Preserve, it's a gorgeous drive and if she's never been out west it will be something very different.

Do the Dam, and if you're feeling froggy hike down to the hot springs on the other side of the dam. Lot's of stuff to do in Vegas even for the under 21 crowd, most of the shows, pinball museum, etc.. The North Rim of the GC is much better IMO, but as others have said it's not open yet, so go to Zion and Cedar Breaks in So Utah instead.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWheeler71 View Post
OP- are you cool with your daughter being around marijuana? because Venice is like a Cypress Hill Concert.

So is vegas now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #35 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Now that pot is “legal” all public areas in California pretty much smell like weed. California is one giant Venice Beach anymore.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 73883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
This is my part of the world and I've been over most all of it. If she'd into wildlife this should be prime whale watching season and you can go out of Dana Point and if you don't care about going the long way, head out from the beaches and spend the night in Palm Springs, then head to Vegas as early as possible through the Mojave National Preserve, it's a gorgeous drive and if she's never been out west it will be something very different.

Do the Dam, and if you're feeling froggy hike down to the hot springs on the other side of the dam. Lot's of stuff to do in Vegas even for the under 21 crowd, most of the shows, pinball museum, etc.. The North Rim of the GC is much better IMO, but as others have said it's not open yet, so go to Zion and Cedar Breaks in So Utah instead.
I like these ideas. I'm almost wondering if we shouldn't just stay around the LA area the first night. When does traffic die back down? I think someone said it starts getting bad around 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-RAT View Post
Yeah, I saw that when I was looking at info on the GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeptahoewhite View Post
If I landed at LAX at that time, I would head over towards Santa monica or Venice area, get a late breakfast/early lunch/bloody mary and check out the beach for a bit/walk around.

And then... Do your hollywood thing.. Then... Avoid barstow, and then...
Good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Now that pot is “legal” all public areas in California pretty much smell like weed. California is one giant Venice Beach anymore.
I figured this was the case.
CJNTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in