4th gen or 5th gen 4runners? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 57128
4th gen or 5th gen 4runners?

Grandma and Grandpa are looking to get a 4runner. Will pull his boat <3,000lbs. They have 10-15K to spend.

I've only ever owned 4runners up to 3rd gen so know nothing about the newer ones. Would it be smarter for the folks to stick to getting a 4th gen with low miles or try and find a 5th gen at higher mileage? Any input at all is appreciated. They're shopping around the Sacramento area, FWIW. Thanks.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
I'd look for a 4th gen with a V8. A 3000lb boat should be OK as long as they're not going up to Tahoe.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Toyota-4runner.org is a good forum. Do a bunch of reading.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 197531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
I'd look for a 4th gen with a V8. A 3000lb boat should be OK as long as they're not going up to Tahoe.
I agree I just bought my son one to replace his Taco'ed Tacoma

12,500 they really hold there value here in AZ they were also hard to come by when i was shopping
Old 03-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 84132
You're not even CLOSE to getting a 5th gen here for less than 20k unless it's a clapped out high mileage example. .02 Way more bang for the buck in 4th gen. .02
Old 03-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 429
2004 V8 4Runner Limited here. It's decent, but my MIL's '03 Tahoe will flat blow it's doors off. The biggest issue with the 4th gens (not sure about the 5th) is the transfer case. I didn't know it was a problem, so I never thought to check it on the test drive. They are full-time t-cases with a dial on the dash to shift from hi to low range. Guess what? Toyota made the shift system so complicated, that if they aren't used regularly, they no longer shift into low range as the mechanism gets corroded. Stupid design.

Mine struggles to shift into low and there have been times where it flat refuses.

Granted, your GP's probably aren't using low range all that often, but something to be aware of.

The Lexus GX470 version gets a lever to shift into low range. Go figure on that...

If I had it to do over, I would buy the GX over the 4Runner as they seem to be better taken care of and cost roughly the same for more luxury.

Jack
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 24475
Send a message via ICQ to JeffsJeep04 Send a message via AIM to JeffsJeep04
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrwln View Post
2004 V8 4Runner Limited here. It's decent, but my MIL's '03 Tahoe will flat blow it's doors off. The biggest issue with the 4th gens (not sure about the 5th) is the transfer case. I didn't know it was a problem, so I never thought to check it on the test drive. They are full-time t-cases with a dial on the dash to shift from hi to low range. Guess what? Toyota made the shift system so complicated, that if they aren't used regularly, they no longer shift into low range as the mechanism gets corroded. Stupid design.

Mine struggles to shift into low and there have been times where it flat refuses.

Granted, your GP's probably aren't using low range all that often, but something to be aware of.

The Lexus GX470 version gets a lever to shift into low range. Go figure on that...

If I had it to do over, I would buy the GX over the 4Runner as they seem to be better taken care of and cost roughly the same for more luxury.

Jack
You aren’t kidding, just did a quick Craigslist cruise, some screaming deals on GX470’s!
JeffsJeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
A 3000lb boat should be OK as long as they're not going up to Tahoe.
Oof. They do like to go to Tahoe with the boat. I think they usually take 88 more often than 49/50, though. Does it struggle going over the grade or what?

After checking a bunch CL ads it sure looks like 4th gen is the way to go. Only saw a single 5th and it was salvage title with high miles. I'll be sure to have them check the low range during any test drive for sure. Thanks for all the feedback.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Get a 100 series land cruiser. 98-99s are $5-6k and can tow 6500 lbs. 9.5" rear instead of the 8" on the 4Runner too.

Last edited by Mattafact; 03-23-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Mattafact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrwln View Post
2004 V8 4Runner Limited here. It's decent, but my MIL's '03 Tahoe will flat blow it's doors off.
Yep, wife had an '05 SR5 until recently. Good solid, reliable vehicle but those 4th gen engines were adequate at best. My '04 Tahoe smoked it in every way. Hence why we turned them both into a '13 Yukon Denali. Haven't driven a 5th gen 4runner so not sure if they're any better, but you're not touching one for $15k anyway.
east_beast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
Get the v8. Nearly the same fuel economy as the v6 but way more power.

I can attest to towing 11k cross county with one. They flat out work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Diamonds. 35's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RestoMod.

GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMhick View Post

I always questioned the numbers on those V8s. On paper, they have basically the same torque as a GM 5.3 and only about 25 fewer horses and the thing weighs about 1000 pounds less than a Tahoe, but damn if that 5.3 in the Tahoe doesn't feel considerably stouter.
east_beast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 09:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMhick View Post

That must have been miserable. I towed a 19' travel trailer from CA to Yellowstone to CO with my 100 and got a nice 7mpg. Ouray to Silverton was 1st gear over most passes. It did great, just slow and thirsty.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
That must have been miserable. I towed a 19' travel trailer from CA to Yellowstone to CO with my 100 and got a nice 7mpg. Ouray to Silverton was 1st gear over most passes. It did great, just slow and thirsty.
The one I had was an 07. It was in 3rd gear and produced a whopping 7.8 mpg at 80 mph. Unloaded it got 19.5.

I was always surprised how it would pull at any speed I wanted up any grade. It was significantly more powerful towing than a 100.

In total, I put 40k of towing miles on the 4Runner and thought it was excellent.

. Diamonds. 35's.

. RestoMod.

Last edited by GRMhick; 03-24-2018 at 06:55 PM.
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2018, 04:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 20237
We have a 2013, we don't have any complaints about it,
we use it to pull our 19ft boat around with no problems whatsoever.
jblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in