Fence debacle round 2....... (buried wire dog fence questions) - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
Hurry up get it ordered and let me know how the newer unit works. I gotta get a new one for our dog it looks like.

Our batshit crazy neighbors keep posting all over Bookface about some phantom dog that is coming on their property and terrorizing their animals insinuating that its our dog and keeps threatening to call animal control. Yet she refuses to post pics or a description of the dog.

Well that plan changed quick.... buying biggaydans
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Well that plan changed quick.... buying biggaydans
He's gonna send you a box of aids.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
He's gonna send you a box of aids.
As long as it comes with the invisable fence stuff
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 157355
I’ve had a couple 3-5 acre ones. I think I’ve installed 6 now.

#1follow the training
#2 don’t just let the dog out
#3 follow my advice on 1 and 2

People who say they don’t work didn’t train the dog. Ignore them.

Amazon a receiver and go hunt a deal on the wire at your local building supply store..
Old 04-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
Iíve had a couple 3-5 acre ones. I think Iíve installed 6 now.

#1follow the training
#2 donít just let the dog out

People who say they donít work didnít train the dog. Ignore them.

Amazon a receiver and go hunt a deal on the wire at your local building supply store..
I put my dogs on a leash with just the beep & vibrate. They werent sure about it, but tried to test it. I turned the shock upto hi and they figured out the boundaries real quick.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:09 AM   #31 (permalink)
savage

Member # 1730
I didn't train my dog. It was a last minute, last ditch effort to keep him in the yard. He had caused all kinds of shit with the neighbors, run out in traffic, gone missing for days. The dog Id had before him died out front on the road 5 years before. I put up the fence wire on the bottom of the existing fence, cranked the collar up on high, turned the wire transmitter up to high and got in my truck and drove to work. At that particular time I didnt have time to goof off. Poor old Bud pretty much lived on the front porch and back patio for 3 weeks. At about the 3 week mark he started feeling out the boundaries and I turned the xmitter down and backed off his collar. Within 5 weeks he knew all the boundaries within a few feet and even knew to stay further off if it was raining. If you spend any time training Id bet it would turn out 100 x better, but my situation still turned out perfect in the end.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:13 AM   #32 (permalink)
savage

Member # 1730
in fact, his collar hes wearing now has had one of the zapper prongs broken off for at least 3 months. It still does the tone and vibrate, but can not zap him. I have the new collar sitting here but hes still not challenging the fence. he's also pretty old, at least 13 and maybe doesnt care too much about digging out and looking for bitches. I can relate lol.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 81613
Got nothing to ad except my tapatalk ads are showing me Burial insurance after this thread.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 3000
I have the sportdog system around the edge of my 4 acres.
The collars run off of a standard 9V battery and I change them out after 3 months.

I have about 4,000' of 14 ga. singe strand wire if anyone wants it for cheap.

Dogs don't like getting shocked (husky and Ausie) the collars are set on level 2 or 3 out of 5. The collar beeps and vibrates before it shocks.
The dogs like their freedom to roam the property and now know where they can and can't go. The first time they got a training lesson, they were not happy and wanted to stay on the porchs.
Aron82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
Iíve had a couple 3-5 acre ones. I think Iíve installed 6 now.

#1follow the training
#2 donít just let the dog out

People who say they donít work didnít train the dog. Ignore them.

Have the invisible fence brand on 2 acres...been working for going on 8 yrs now on my pups and over 20yrs on my sis in laws pups.

Might add that the training should really be done by someone other than family because it involves making the pup understand that going thru the fence is painful.

With Invisible fence brand fences the installers did the training and did followup checks for 3 months on the frequency the pups approached the fence close enough to set the collar off and adjused the shock intensities accordingly.

Additionally;
1. batteries die which allows the pup to bust the fence, breaking the training. Doesnt matter what brand fence collar this always applies. Batteries on my collars last no more than 3 months. I would hazard that other brand collars are similar.

2. collars arent adjusted properly or have the wrong prongs for the fur depth. They dont work and again the training fails. Wont matter what brand collar, the prongs have to contact the skin of the pup. This also means one needs to keep an eye out for festering or alternatively taking the collar off the dog when inside or of the property.

3. Collars do die over time...Invisible fence brand Titaniums have a lifetime warranty. The catch? $350 ea.

4. Collars can be adjusted for shock magnitude based on fence approaches. We have blue flags at dog eye level all along on the fence perimeter so the pups know where the fence is to avoid unnecessary "shocking the dog"...

5. The newer collars have a GPS chip and there's an app to track the pup...

6. Base stations have to be plugged in or they don't work. Power failures can be minimised via a battery backup/ups.

Last edited by DavidVanVorous; 04-09-2018 at 12:09 PM.
DavidVanVorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #36 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
I shipped your box of d̶i̶l̶d̶o̶s̶ fence stuff out yesterday.

It's customary to put the collar on yourself first and walk through the fence before you put it on the dog. Video or it didn't happen.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:01 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I didn't train my dog. It was a last minute, last ditch effort to keep him in the yard. He had caused all kinds of shit with the neighbors, run out in traffic, gone missing for days. The dog Id had before him died out front on the road 5 years before. I put up the fence wire on the bottom of the existing fence, cranked the collar up on high, turned the wire transmitter up to high and got in my truck and drove to work. At that particular time I didnt have time to goof off. Poor old Bud pretty much lived on the front porch and back patio for 3 weeks. At about the 3 week mark he started feeling out the boundaries and I turned the xmitter down and backed off his collar. Within 5 weeks he knew all the boundaries within a few feet and even knew to stay further off if it was raining. If you spend any time training Id bet it would turn out 100 x better, but my situation still turned out perfect in the end.
your lucky and I am glad it worked out.

The three times a day boundary walk, working up over 2-3 weeks and only letting the dog get shocked 1-2 times is ideal. I get them on the second week when I can toss hot dogs over the fence and the dog ignores the hot dogs. need to do this with breeds that are bred to chaise animals.

I've trained a coon hound, and 3 bird dogs on the fence. They are all hunting dogs and can be very hard to train on a fence.

I know a lot of people who just let the dog out and the fence doesn't work because the dog doesn't get it or the dog is all screwed up from it. Dogs just run through it or run the batteries down letting them deep then run away.

Last edited by Pokeman; 04-10-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in