Fence debacle round 2....... (buried wire dog fence questions) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Fence debacle round 2....... (buried wire dog fence questions)

My dog went give up on chasing the neighbors sheep up and down the fence line (300yds) and growling quite viciously at the elderly neighbor who is actually scared of her.

I put up a cable for the wife to tie her to while I'm not home but also want my dog to be able to run free. I also genuinely care about the neighbor being mad over it

In a perfect world I could find an invisable fence wire kit where I could just run the wire down the existing fence and if my dog gets within 25' of the wire it zaps the shit out of her.
Does this exist?

If I find the above or have to bury a wire 25' back can I run a straight line or does it need to be a continuos loop? If a loop can I just run the loop in the same ditch? All this matters as I need to know how much cable to buy.

How often do I need to charge the collar and how long will it last?

I really only need to do 1 fence line. What are you using and how do you like it?
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
I think I heard that there were some that were wireless just mark the corners may want to look into it. I guy I knew bought a bunch of those red landscaping flags and marked out the line now when he goes camping he puts those around his spot and the dog will not pass the line of flags, he doesn't even bother bringing the actual equipment dog sees the flags won't go by it.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 629561
Check out the ones on amazon. I bought the pet safe brand they sell at petsmart for way cheeper than they want at the store .

The website for them has guides to layout your wires how you need them to be for a lot of different scenarios
PbBleachguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Petsafe makes what you want. Get the stubborn dog version. It shocks and vibrates

Also, introduce your dog to the neighbor, have her give your dig treats and be affectionate. Dog will be her besty in no time.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 73540
I put it around our 17 acres. At one point it crosses the creek about 7 ft in the air, at this point it zaps him about 30 ft away. I can set the transmitter up to 12 ft from the wire once he got shocked a couple times just the beeps freak him out. Half of mine is buried the other half wire tied to the bottom strand of the barbed wire fence. BTW the temporary wire I just layed on the ground and across the driveway is going strong after over a year.
rektec250r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 82607
I have the petsafe wireless version. Our little dog got zapped a couple times and now she knows exactly where her boundary is and won't go near it with or without the collar. If I'm just letting her out to pee early am I don't put the collar on her, if we are going to the shop she doesn't get the collar either because that is just out of her zone. I live close to the road so I had to dial it back a bit but she gets the entire backyard to roam in.
I am a firm believer in it's all in the training. Take your time and follow the directions, she'll be staying within here boundaries in no time. I have a buddy that sells and installs invisible fence and he says the same thing, once the dog is trained a lot of people shut the fence off.
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
It has to be a loop.

You may be able to put it out and back in the same ditch but it may weaken the signal. I know to "kill" the signal in an area where you have to run wire but don't want it to shock - like the feed coming from the power supply at your house and going to the fence line - you just twist the in/out wires around each other and that kills the signal in that area. I suspect have the wires too close together will affect the signal.

I have a petsafe transmitter and a couple collars that I'll give you a deal on. I doubt I'll need it again any time soon.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rektec250r View Post
I put it around our 17 acres. At one point it crosses the creek about 7 ft in the air, at this point it zaps him about 30 ft away. I can set the transmitter up to 12 ft from the wire once he got shocked a couple times just the beeps freak him out. Half of mine is buried the other half wire tied to the bottom strand of the barbed wire fence. BTW the temporary wire I just layed on the ground and across the driveway is going strong after over a year.

I guess I need to buy one and play with it. I'm hoping I don't have to deal with digging any depth trench. Maybe I run 1 strand along the bottom of the fence and the other back along the top. If 5hat got me a 30ft range I'd be stoked
Old 04-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
I guess I need to buy one and play with it. I'm hoping I don't have to deal with digging any depth trench. Maybe I run 1 strand along the bottom of the fence and the other back along the top. If 5hat got me a 30ft range I'd be stoked
You make a perimeter out of it. Its just 14ga? copper wire that hooks into a transmitter unit. To kill the signal you twist the wires together.

I ran mine along the ground in the grass, in the center of the back fence, dug an 8" trench across my driveway and buried the line, then up next to the front of my house until it csmd to the front porch which I went up and over then back down. Unit was mounted in my shop.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
You make a perimeter out of it. Its just 14ga? copper wire that hooks into a transmitter unit. To kill the signal you twist the wires together.

I ran mine along the ground in the grass, in the center of the back fence, dug an 8" trench across my driveway and buried the line, then up next to the front of my house until it csmd to the front porch which I went up and over then back down. Unit was mounted in my shop.

Understood but I only want to run it down 1 fence line.

I suppose I could make a perimeter of I have to but that's almost another 2500' of wire to buy and run I don't need.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Understood but I only want to run it down 1 fence line.

I suppose I could make a perimeter of I have to but that's almost another 2500' of wire to buy and run I don't need.
You're gonna have to cut off your dogs access to some of the property then. With the petsafe system I had, the wire literally had to be twisted together to kill the signal. I could never figure out another way to do it.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
We had one years ago it was like $30 at Wal-Mart. Worked real good, almost too good...

The boys were being assholes barking at someone on the sidewalk so I walked to the control box and turned it to 10 real quick. Much yipping was heard from the backyard sobi turned it back down to like 7, it was usually on 2 or 3.

I realized they hadn't come inside in a while and were quiet so I stepped out back. There they were huddled together shaking in the center of the yard. I turned it back down after that.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Found this. This one says 5' most say 6' seperation
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 73540
Quote:
I built a simple plow that slid over a tooth on my skid steer bucket, buried over 1500 ft in less than an hour. You can lay the wire on the ground and use yard Staples to hold it down. Once the grass gorws around it you can't even see it. I mowed o er my temporary wire all last summer. I only cut it a couple times if a mole hill pushed it up. I still can't believe the 24 guage wire I have laying across my gravel driveway hasn't broke yet.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Ours was a single wire. Just like a hot fence it started and stopped at the box. They recommended it to be above ground so we zip tied it about 12" up on the cyclone fence.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 15985
I have the pets safe as well. Twist it, run it out there then run a loop a few feet to several fee apart, turn up the field width. You can get it to do hat you want. The kit comes with everything you need. Pretty cheap as well. You can also just blurry it around your whole place. I did 7 acres and my dogs runs the whole place. I've installed a bunch of them.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYJ10 View Post
I have the pets safe as well. Twist it, run it out there then run a loop a few feet to several fee apart, turn up the field width. You can get it to do hat you want. The kit comes with everything you need. Pretty cheap as well. You can also just blurry it around your whole place. I did 7 acres and my dogs runs the whole place. I've installed a bunch of them.
See I could never get my unit to even work right on an acre and a half. So I used it on the back 3/4 ac around the house and shop.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
So I can stomach the $200 for the unit but the extra 250 for $2500 of wire socks donkey balls.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 44308
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
I have a petsafe transmitter and a couple collars that I'll give you a deal on. I doubt I'll need it again any time soon.
If 2big doesn't take you up on it, I'd be interested. We're going to get a second dog and I want to do invisible fence at our gate (rest of the property is fenced).
Send me a picture if you're serious about selling.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
So I can stomach the $200 for the unit but the extra 250 for $2500 of wire socks donkey balls.
Dont buy the freakin petsafe brand. Its just yellow jacketed wire. Its nothing special. I just dont remember what size...I think 18-20ga.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 73540
I used 16 guage tracer wire for mine. 5000 ft was around 550.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 687834
my dog was too stubborn to learn it . she would just run right thru it.
I still have it all sitting in a corner, except for maybe the wire, dont think I still have the roll of wire. ended up with a fence behind the house for them.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
savage

Member # 1730
I've used one of the petsafe brand fences for the last 10+ years. I have one dog that could get out of nearly anything and he made quick work of almost any chain link fence. I zip tied the wire to the bottom 10" of my chain link fence around my property and tucked the wire in a 1/2" deep concrete saw cut across my driveway and I have not had any issues with the wire or the transmitter since I installed it. My fence goes completely around my house and property so I'm using the collar as a supplement to the chain link fence so he cant dig under it or run out of the driveway when I'm pulling cars in or out.

I'd say 100% it will work in your situation. Once the dog figures out where not to go its great. It kinda sucks seeing your dog get lit up the first few times but after the boundaries are established they don't get zapped. My dog has gone over a year on a battery before.

Don't cheap out on the receiver collars tho, the light small one with the hard plastic collar sucks, it's hard on the dogs neck it you leave it on them a lot and the batteries don't last nearly as long. The stubborn dog collar with the red strap that uses the 9v battery I've had the most luck with. Part number on that collar is PRF-275-19. I'm on my 3rd or 4th one of these collars in 10 years. Its expensive, but I live on a really busy street and I'm sure the dog would be long dead if it wasn't for the petsafe fence.

Last edited by scottz; 04-08-2018 at 01:05 PM.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I've used one of the petsafe brand fences for the last 10+ years. I have one dog that could get out of nearly anything and he made quick work of almost any chain link fence. I zip tied the wire to the bottom 10" of my chain link fence around my property and tucked the wire in a 1/2" deep concrete saw cut across my driveway and I have not had any issues with the wire or the transmitter since I installed it.

I'd say 100% it will work in your situation. Once the dog figures out where not to go its great. It kinda sucks seeing your dog get lit up the first few times but after the boundaries are established they don't get zapped. My dog has gone over a year on a battery before.

Don't cheap out on the receiver collars tho, the light small one with the hard plastic collar sucks, it's hard on the dogs neck it you leave it on them a lot and the batteries don't last nearly as long. The stubborn dog collar with the red strap that uses the 9v battery I've had the most luck with. Part number on that collar is PRF-275-19. I'm on my 3rd or 4th one of these collars in 10 years. Its expensive, but I live on a really busy street and I'm sure the dog would be long dead if it wasn't for the petsafe fence.

Good to know, I just left tractor supply looking at them. Gonna order up the stubborn dog kit. Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Good to know, I just left tractor supply looking at them. Gonna order up the stubborn dog kit. Thanks for the feedback
Hurry up get it ordered and let me know how the newer unit works. I gotta get a new one for our dog it looks like.

Our batshit crazy neighbors keep posting all over Bookface about some phantom dog that is coming on their property and terrorizing their animals insinuating that its our dog and keeps threatening to call animal control. Yet she refuses to post pics or a description of the dog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in