Trade Show Storage Cases - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Member # 46240
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,129
Trade Show Storage Cases

Anyone know of any companies building decent cases for trade show storage. Would like to find something that isn't $6,000 for a simple box. Need to store a few TV's (72" and two 42"), a collapsible 10'x12' display wall and possibly a few tables and chairs.
RaginCaucasian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
3d Artist for Hire!
 
animator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13701
Location: Plano/Dallas
Posts: 19,307
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
Plywood.


Seriously. Company I work for has a side company that does trade shows, and they store everything in custom-made boxes cut from plywood. Hinged doors, locks, and wheels and client's name spraypainted on the sides. The warehouse kinda looks like the closing scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
__________________
Sometimes I parkerize stuff. PM for info..
animator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
MattS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 386
Location: Omaha, NE USA
Posts: 25,950
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Quote:
Originally Posted by animator View Post
Plywood.


Seriously. Company I work for has a side company that does trade shows, and they store everything in custom-made boxes cut from plywood. Hinged doors, locks, and wheels and client's name spraypainted on the sides. The warehouse kinda looks like the closing scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
^ What he said. My old boat storage had a guy next door that did exactly that. He made them out of plywood, put fancy foam in them and decked the outsides with aluminum corner pieces and trim on all seams, painted them black or stained them and out the door. Made good $$$ doing it.

They looked just like these: https://www.roadcasesusa.com/70-plas...-case-special/

Last edited by MattS; 05-02-2018 at 03:17 PM.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
climbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member # 161770
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 3,711
We use Jan-Al

Touring Cases, Road Cases, ATA Cases, Sports Cases, Console Cases, Catering Cases, Pelican Cases, Rackmount Cases, Jan-Al Cases
__________________
Quote:
Not knowing that over 50,000 random 4-wheelers are viewing your wet coochielips; priceless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member # 108445
Location: Greater Southwest
Posts: 13,966


This is an 11 part series
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
climbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member # 161770
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket flier View Post

This is an 11 part series
the "reliable hardware" hardware is cheap and shitty.
__________________
Quote:
Not knowing that over 50,000 random 4-wheelers are viewing your wet coochielips; priceless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Member # 46240
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
^ What he said. My old boat storage had a guy next door that did exactly that. He made them out of plywood, put fancy foam in them and decked the outsides with aluminum corner pieces and trim on all seams, painted them black or stained them and out the door. Made good $$$ doing it.

They looked just like these: https://www.roadcasesusa.com/70-plas...-case-special/
Don't doubt that he did. This whole trade show thing is a giant money making scam. We had to pay $16K just to rent the 20' x 25' space at the Vegas Convention Center for 2.5 days. Seems like everyone in the industry knows companies will pay out the ass for this shit.


Maybe I will make the crates and charge my boss just a little less than what these companies are quoting. Already have a bunch of heavy duty 8" wheel casters.
RaginCaucasian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Change is good.
 
Roc Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20631
Location: Desert Hills, AZ
Posts: 35,195
That's one of the top shelf mfgs for sure. Vince from VER had a guy, name was Omar IIRC, and he'd show up with a 24' box truck that had a genset, table saw, boxes of casters and latches and ball-corners and whatnot, some plywood and fiberglass sheet, and he'd just make the cases on site to order. It was pretty awesome actually.

But yeah, for cheap long term storage. Plywood.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Change is good.
 
Roc Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20631
Location: Desert Hills, AZ
Posts: 35,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCaucasian View Post
Don't doubt that he did. This whole trade show thing is a giant money making scam. We had to pay $16K just to rent the 20' x 25' space at the Vegas Convention Center for 2.5 days. Seems like everyone in the industry knows companies will pay out the ass for this shit.
Well, when you have to pay 10 union stagehands $35hr to do the work of 3 men, shit gets expensive.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Member # 1889
Location: Firestone, Colorado, USA
Posts: 11,462
Years back, I had to pay a "spotter" to guide me driving my buggy into the convention center. Got to the first tight turn, "spotter" goes "this one's pretty tight, probably going to have to pull up here, back up...."
I hit the rear steer, the "spotter" went incoherent. All he did from there was walk about twelve feet in front of me until we got to the lobby.
Still had to pay them for the "service". But I got to park in the second floor lobby right at the registration desk.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-03-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
M.Martian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 3945
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 3,182
One thing I would recommend after dealing with doing trade shows in the past.

Make sure that the walls are reinforced for the idiot who drives a forklift blade in to the side of your crates. It would be bad to have them put a blade through the plywood and then through a tv screen.

Plan to pack the fragile stuff toward the center of the crate and protected as much as possible.
__________________
Mark
M.Martian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Change is good.
 
Roc Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20631
Location: Desert Hills, AZ
Posts: 35,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Years back, I had to pay a "spotter" to guide me driving my buggy into the convention center. Got to the first tight turn, "spotter" goes "this one's pretty tight, probably going to have to pull up here, back up...."
I hit the rear steer, the "spotter" went incoherent. All he did from there was walk about twelve feet in front of me until we got to the lobby.
Still had to pay them for the "service".
That's SOP. I thought you were going to say you did a front dig!

Or have a bunch of stagehands standing around because the Teamsters haven't delivered the stuff yet, or the IBEW guy hasn't provided power.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
M.Martian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 3945
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 3,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Well, when you have to pay 10 union stagehands $35hr to do the work of 3 men, shit gets expensive.
Hell, we’ve had them tell us that we had to pay those union guys to open the crates for us if we were going to use cordless screwdrivers to open the crates.
__________________
Mark
M.Martian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Change is good.
 
Roc Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20631
Location: Desert Hills, AZ
Posts: 35,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Martian View Post
One thing I would recommend after dealing with doing trade shows in the past.

Make sure that the walls are reinforced for the idiot who drives a forklift blade in to the side of your crates. It would be bad to have them put a blade through the plywood and then through a tv screen.

Plan to pack the fragile stuff toward the center of the crate and protected as much as possible.
Years ago we used a giant audio console (ATI Paragon), that weighed 780lbs in the case. It took 4 guys to get it into the case, and usually a forklift to stand it up on it's wheels. We bitched about the weight, so the owner of our company had a road case made out of Carbon Fiber, and one of the guys in my shop put a fork blade through the empty case, not a week after we took delivery. All he could do is give the union salute.

Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Change is good.
 
Roc Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20631
Location: Desert Hills, AZ
Posts: 35,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Martian View Post
Hell, we’ve had them tell us that we had to pay those union guys to open the crates for us if we were going to use cordless screwdrivers to open the crates.
There's all kinds of rules.

You can hand carry something to your booth, but nothing on wheels.
No power tools.
No food or beverage.
Etc.

Most are widely ignored.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Member # 46240
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Well, when you have to pay 10 union stagehands $35hr to do the work of 3 men, shit gets expensive.

Then there is that. We used to be able to plug in all our electronics (Extension cords,TV's, lights, etc.) Then two years ago we were told we can't touch any of that and we needed to hire a union worker at $100 per hour and a minimum 2 hours. Guy got everything plugged in, in about 30 minutes, so we put him to work climbing ladders doing the sketchy shit none of us wanted to do.

Last edited by RaginCaucasian; 05-03-2018 at 09:27 AM.
RaginCaucasian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Change is good.
 
Roc Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20631
Location: Desert Hills, AZ
Posts: 35,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCaucasian View Post
Then there is that. We used to be able to plug in all our electronics (Extension cords,TV's, lights, etc.) Then two years ago we were told we can't touch any of that and we needed to hire a union worker at $100 per hour and a minimum 2 hours. Guy got everything plugged in, in about 30 minutes, so we put him to work climbing ladders.
Unless he was a rigger, that's a no-no as well. Standard stagehand is not supposed to do "high" work, not that a lot of them don't come to work high already.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 11:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
climbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member # 161770
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Martian View Post
One thing I would recommend after dealing with doing trade shows in the past.

Make sure that the walls are reinforced for the idiot who drives a forklift blade in to the side of your crates. It would be bad to have them put a blade through the plywood and then through a tv screen.

Plan to pack the fragile stuff toward the center of the crate and protected as much as possible.
there is no amount of reinforcement capable of stopping a teamster on a forklift.

I have watched so many things get speared. and for whatever reason its never the cheap, easy-to-replace stuff. its always the most expensive stuff we have.
__________________
Quote:
Not knowing that over 50,000 random 4-wheelers are viewing your wet coochielips; priceless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.