Keeping Neighbor's Chickens Out of Our Yard? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 08:16 AM   #26 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 104517
Enjoy your bug free yard, and train your dogs they're not food?

I guess it depends on the dog, but having bird dogs all my life they would chase/stalk/point any random birds but never killed them.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13 View Post
If you lived in my county, your dog got in my yard and killed one or more chickens, I could take you to court and your dog would labeled a chicken killer.. If your dog killed another chicken after that, it would be taken away from you

Side note. I'm try to break my dog off chickens. He tried to chomp one of the baby chics last week
I don't think that's uncommon legal wise.

(For the record, I have never had a dog harass or harm anyone's livestock or chickens, except mine, and that was the one time I tried to have poultry).

I also spent great care and expense building fence to keep in my dogs. I don't go along with the mentality, "well we are in the country so I can let my dog roam, and don't have the responsibility to fence them in" , which seems to be common in more rural areas.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
As soon as I read the title, I was going to tell you to get a dog. Now that you have dogs let them roam in your backyard. If the chickens are in your backyard and end up dead, that is not your fault.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
Rusted.

Member # 132785
I grew up on a farm, and still live in a farming community. It is not your responsibility to protect their animals. If there is a need for specialty fencing to keep the chickens in their yard, that's on them.
They are creating an inconvenience for you on your own property by not properly fencing in their animals. To me that's a big deal. If you're going to have animals keep them where they belong and don't let them bother your neighbors.
I'd tell them you don't want to have to deal with worrying about chicken/dog interactions and that they need to install a proper fence to keep them in.
Tin Roof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 08:35 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 253146
OP you are what was once known as a good neighbor. You are trying to keep the peace in you neighborhood. I get where your coming from. Get the 3' chicken wire and put it up. They wont bother the fence. Everybody saying let nature take its natural course is correct, but a little effort will also make living there a lot more pleasant. Its tough finding people that you can get along with and living in the same area. How many posts come up on this forum, where the OP is bitching about a shitty neighbor? Keep the peace and enjoy your little piece of the rock (and by this, I dont mean getting run over by the neighbor either).
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #31 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romogo View Post
Tell them to get a pair of scissors.
Go on youtube and learn how to clip their wings.
Clip only one side.
Profit.
This is the right answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Actually a lot of states are what they call free range states where it is the responsibility of someone to fence livestock OUT if they don't want them on their property. But that being said if they did have a chicken get in your yard and your well fenced in dogs happened to kill it in your yard I don't see how that could possibly be your fault.

Like I said before. Put up the chicken wire. Cheap. Not annoying to look at or much of a bother to put up since you already have the field fence installed.... Shows that you are trying to be proactive and a good neighbor.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #33 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Once my lab killed his first chicken he wouldn’t stop. I had to find him a home so he wouldn’t get shot.
78bronco460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #34 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 197896
Appreciate all the replies - most are what I expected from PBB - the hard truth

A couple other points:
The dogs have already gone after the chickens - it's four Catahoula's and a bull terrier. the bull terrier almost had one, but wife thinks she was just confused by having eight chicken nuggets to choose from

The other concern is the dogs go into prey drive and then get in a fight with each other over whose McNugget it is. The wife is home alone and just had knee replacement surgery, so she's not really able to break up a fight effectively if it happens.

Besides the dogs we also have about 5 former feral cats that live on our property that were dumped there over the last 15+ years. They have all been neutered/spayed, but the do roam our property and will go onto the neighbors property. Again this is out in the country, so they tend to keep down the rodent population. The neighbors don't have any issue with them as they don't get onto their cars, although a couple like to sit on their utility trailer that is parked along the fence line on their side. They don't do is as much any more as the chickens will actually try and gang up on the smallest cats now that they are almost full sized.

So there is some give & take here with regards to animals. We both have fences, it's just we may need to improve them a little.

The $50 for the extra fencing is basically nothing considering how much I spend on other stuff, and it's not even worth arguing "it's the principal of the thing" or "slippery slope" for something so minor that may give the wife some peace of mind if they do continue to come over.

As mentioned, they are pretty good neighbors, considering we have never had any neighbor this close to us in 50+ years. We have a lake on the backside, an 80 acre field across the street and the neighbor on the other side is all the way across our property (~ 500 ft) and basically lives in such a jungle of plants & trees that their house is not visible. When my parent bought the place in the mid-50's we had more land and the house was in the middle of the property. They sold off the part where the neighbors are at back in the early 80's so now our house is within 75' of the property line. The neighbor is a General Contractor and he had built his original house about 15 years ago, but it was further away from us. He recently sold that house to his step daughter & her husband and built a second house in the front of the property last year which is now partially visible out our front window.

Knowing the neighbor I expect him to offer to pay for the fence or help install, but again it's no big deal if it works.
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Don't know about the above posts regarding dogs but my Standard Poodle would stalk, kill and eat Flickers (woodpeckers) and squirrels. OP you are simply being too nice. Good but you are adding drama to your mama.

Last edited by Lil Uzi; 05-03-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Lil Uzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 70148
A chicken would have to be REALLY motivated to scale a 3' chicken wire fence. Not really going to happen. Plastic poultry fence is dirty cheap and sounds like the best option. Neighbor should do it though. They will find a way around however if it isn't a closed in area.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-03-2018 at 09:40 AM.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #37 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Chickens roost in trees or in rafters so a 3' fence is nothing unless you clip their wings.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 20728
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop View Post
Appreciate all the replies - most are what I expected from PBB - the hard truth

A couple other points:
The dogs have already gone after the chickens - it's four Catahoula's and a bull terrier. the bull terrier almost had one, but wife thinks she was just confused by having eight chicken nuggets to choose from

The other concern is the dogs go into prey drive and then get in a fight with each other over whose McNugget it is. The wife is home alone and just had knee replacement surgery, so she's not really able to break up a fight effectively if it happens.

Besides the dogs we also have about 5 former feral cats that live on our property that were dumped there over the last 15+ years. They have all been neutered/spayed, but the do roam our property and will go onto the neighbors property. Again this is out in the country, so they tend to keep down the rodent population. The neighbors don't have any issue with them as they don't get onto their cars, although a couple like to sit on their utility trailer that is parked along the fence line on their side. They don't do is as much any more as the chickens will actually try and gang up on the smallest cats now that they are almost full sized.

So there is some give & take here with regards to animals. We both have fences, it's just we may need to improve them a little.

The $50 for the extra fencing is basically nothing considering how much I spend on other stuff, and it's not even worth arguing "it's the principal of the thing" or "slippery slope" for something so minor that may give the wife some peace of mind if they do continue to come over.

As mentioned, they are pretty good neighbors, considering we have never had any neighbor this close to us in 50+ years. We have a lake on the backside, an 80 acre field across the street and the neighbor on the other side is all the way across our property (~ 500 ft) and basically lives in such a jungle of plants & trees that their house is not visible. When my parent bought the place in the mid-50's we had more land and the house was in the middle of the property. They sold off the part where the neighbors are at back in the early 80's so now our house is within 75' of the property line. The neighbor is a General Contractor and he had built his original house about 15 years ago, but it was further away from us. He recently sold that house to his step daughter & her husband and built a second house in the front of the property last year which is now partially visible out our front window.

Knowing the neighbor I expect him to offer to pay for the fence or help install, but again it's no big deal if it works.
Seriously, just have him clip one of their wings. It's really simple to do and doesn't hurt them at all unless you cut wrong.
Romogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 117969
Get a chicken coop, start collecting chickens.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 85483
You live on 4.5 acres and you can't let your dogs out of the house due to the neighbors chickens?

Damn, that's a new one for sure. After a few chicken feathers fly and a few gets chased...they will stay on their side.

Open door, crack a beer and let the party begin.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 40375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post
I would be curious if once the dog kills his first chicken if he will be enamored with the chickens from then on, spending every moment trying to figure out how to get out of the yard for a chicken dinner.

When there are chickens around, mine will actively watch and stalk them all the time, stressing out the chickens (and all parties involved).
This is what I was going to mention. My ex had a dog and after his first chicken kill, we couldn’t even take him on a hike or to the park. He was after all birds/ducks from then on ripping my arm with the leash. I had to build many fences and gates in front is the chicken coop where no chicken was in site because he was always trying to climb or break through to get to them.
wizard_Drd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard_Drd View Post
This is what I was going to mention. My ex had a dog and after his first chicken kill, we couldn’t even take him on a hike or to the park. He was after all birds/ducks from then on ripping my arm with the leash. I had to build many fences and gates in front is the chicken coop where no chicken was in site because he was always trying to climb or break through to get to them.
A really strong shock collar can cure that. Dads dog decided he like to chase the horses. Two times with the collar turned down didn't bother him too much. Cranked all the way up and it made him nose dive in the dirt. He doesn't do it anymore.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 40375
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumping View Post
A really strong shock collar can cure that. Dads dog decided he like to chase the horses. Two times with the collar turned down didn't bother him too much. Cranked all the way up and it made him nose dive in the dirt. He doesn't do it anymore.
Tried. Ended up with a big open sore bleeding. This was supposed to be some $3k pure bred Aussie with great training. She got ripped off.
wizard_Drd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #44 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 178569
My neighbors dogs (GS, Akita and Aussie's) have killed a few of our chickens by jumping the fence and I haven't shot them yet simply because she's a pretty good neighbor and I don't need/want the conflict. The GS is either going to get hit by a car or shot by the rich guy across the road for chasing his horses. It's not worth the headache shooting the dogs over a $15 chicken. If they go after the $200x6 geese they will be shot and buried.

Last edited by NewWifeSmell; 05-03-2018 at 10:42 AM.
NewWifeSmell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWifeSmell View Post
My neighbors dogs (GS, Akita and Aussie's) have killed a few of our chickens by jumping the fence and I haven't shot them yet simply because she's a pretty good neighbor and I don't need/want the conflict. The GS is either going to get hit by a car or shot by the rich guy across the road for chasing his horses. It's not worth the headache shooting the dogs over a $15 chicken. If they go after the $200x6 geese they will be shot and buried.
I've shot my own dog for chasing cattle...I won't think twice about someone elses. If their dog means that much to them, they shouldn't let it get in harms way.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #46 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
OP How about some creative "Chicken Hypnosis"?

Old 05-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 775873
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop View Post
The neighbors decided to get 8 chickens and now they are starting to roam. Its getting to be a daily problem since we have dogs. The dogs are in the house, but now we have to check everytime before lettng them out to make sure the chickens are not on our side of the fence. We have good relations with the neighbors and they've said it's no issue if the dogs get them, but my wife would feel really bad and I suspect the neighbor's wife would also be upset despite what she said.

They have a 6' ornamental iron fence with bars about 4" apart on their side and we have a 4' farm wire fence on our side. I've seen the chickens squeeze through both fences. The have a coop they go into each night to protect from animals, but the coop is only about 20' from our adjoining property line. We are on 4.5 acres and they have about 2 acres. The chickens are all over their property and also wandering into the 10 acre field on the other side of their property.

I was thinking about getting some 3' tall chicken wire and just stapling to our existing 4' farm fence as that should keep them from walking through, but wasnt sure if they would just fly over? Its only $50 for a 150' roll, so its a cheap experiment, but looking for advice from any of the PBB chicken experts on whether this is likely to work? Also thought about trying something like silt fence, but that wouldnt look real appealing compared to the chicken wire which would hardly be noticeable in the view out our kitchen window.
Pluck one and toss it on your grill/bbq , mmm chicken.
FJC11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post
I don't think that's uncommon legal wise.

(For the record, I have never had a dog harass or harm anyone's livestock or chickens, except mine, and that was the one time I tried to have poultry).

I also spent great care and expense building fence to keep in my dogs. I don't go along with the mentality, "well we are in the country so I can let my dog roam, and don't have the responsibility to fence them in" , which seems to be common in more rural areas.
Most "western" states have dog harassment of domestic animals as a dog dispatchable offense should the owner of the domestic animals so desire provided the dog is harassing the animals on the owners property.

Iffen the domestic animals are on the dog owners property that changes things. Thats trespass irrespective of it being a critter and the dog owner has the rights then...

I have cows showing up annually because a rancher has grazing rights on the res above my property and they tend to meander.

Not only do I have the ranchers phone #, he gave me permission to use their critters as herding training critters for my 2 heelers and the Anitolean if they got on my land...

Last edited by DavidVanVorous; 05-03-2018 at 01:58 PM.
DavidVanVorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
Chickens aren't dumb, they'll avoid the hell out of the dogs if need be. I'd be more worried about the dogs if they've got a rooster.

Our second rooster damn near killed a dog that attacked our chickens. Lost it's beak, head comb, and a fucking ton of blood in the fight but won the fuck out of it. I ended up shooting him with a .22 and he just took it. Shot him again, same shit. Walked it right off. Ended up using a shotgun on him to put him down.

Only ever had two dogs mess with the chickens, the one above and the other was a neighbors dog who just chased them a little but never touched em, he was just trying to herd them a little. Told the neighbor if he did it again I'd have to shoot him and never saw that dog out of it's yard again after that.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #50 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Send a message via AIM to dethmachinefab
Usually they will just stop and follow fenceline. Ive got a bunch in a run with a 4' fence. If they want they fly on top, but have only gone over a handfull of times over the years. They would need to have some motivation to want to go over.

Fresh eggs are great and chickens are darn smart once you figure them out. Eggs as payment for your troubles sounds good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in