2012 chev 4500 chassis, converting back to gasoline - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7412
2012 chev 4500 chassis, converting back to gasoline

I picked up a 17 passenger chassis that we will rig up for road trips and partying. but its natural gas, I need to go pick it up tomorrow and see if it is a add on deal or factory. the vin comes back as a ffv 6.0 so I am hoping its just an add on. anyone have any info with this type of set up? it was a Dallas area transit buss.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=63&ajaxhist=0
Old 05-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer1 View Post
I picked up a 17 passenger chassis that we will rig up for road trips and partying. but its natural gas, I need to go pick it up tomorrow and see if it is a add on deal or factory. the vin comes back as a ffv 6.0 so I am hoping its just an add on. anyone have any info with this type of set up? it was a Dallas area transit buss.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=63&ajaxhist=0
@A_G would know a ton about this.

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
well im a few days late to the party

Make sure its degassed or it will fucking kill you

https://www.krmg.com/news/local/dead...EF7SctVDv0F8L/

So some tanks have a hand valve and some have a electronic valve, some have both. They need to be vented or defueled (check your local cng filling places they might have a defueling station)

its a add on done by impco probably at impco. To convert back, get a fuel tank/pump sending unit etc. Change injectors out, take tune off. and a little bit of fuel line, most are dropped from 4000 psi to 100 then plumbed into the stock gm side.

timing has been advanced for use with cng (125 octane) a dealer should be able to reflash.

but on the good side of things thats a lq4, with ls3 style heads. The tanks should still be within age (they will be type 4 cng tanks) and should be worth 3-4k, the regulator in the rear is 900 new and those injectors are worth money.

Because impco doesnt exist anymore (or last i knew)

the bad the things that make it a transit bus, there are a fuck ton of interlocks and may have some in the fuel system (fuel cut off, no start. Check the fill nozzles and fill doors) the ramps are finicky, rear ac units are finicky (especially thermo king units) air suspension is air lift, if you get the the cable from them ill send you the dealer only software, if i still have it.

trans is a 6l95e? its a odd ball but crazy super duty.

Take some pictures of what your working with so i can help better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vacancy (daytona coupe, 66 charger, cougar eliminator)
1967 F250: Restomod
1998 f150 reg cab, swb, 4x4 5.4
2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7412
Well my super duty laid down on me, so that put me a day behind. I’m picking it up this afternoon. I will post some pics tomorrow.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 7412
got the bitch home, seems to run fine. the thermo king was flat, charged it up and it works good. hell I got to looking and it has the 823 heads and would be a great donor, but it looks like we are just going to run it on cng for a while and see what it has for range. it does have a six speed auto also. I'm pretty happy with it so far. the tanks look to be good for 25 more years. thanks again for the info AG
Old 05-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:
got the bitch home, seems to run fine. the thermo king was flat, charged it up and it works good. hell I got to looking and it has the 823 heads and would be a great donor, but it looks like we are just going to run it on cng for a while and see what it has for range. it does have a six speed auto also. I'm pretty happy with it so far. the tanks look to be good for 25 more years. thanks again for the info AG
legally they are 7-12 years.

Not sure how many tanks your has, but dont be decieved the ones that are about a keg sized are only like 8 gallons.

Other than that, totally full on a perfect day (70*) will be about 4k psi, pumps actually compensate for tempature to prevent a PRD event. So at 90-100 your gonna get 4k, but when it cools without driving it will drop to say 3300.

Expect to run out of fuel around 100 psi.

Dont trust the dash gauges, it may have a port to the stock gauge and maybe a external gauge. But they are horribly inaccurate..

In my experiece in stop an go (transit operation) they got 4mpg. But i had to run one out because we did not have a defueling station and i got 250 miles out of it before i had to vent manually the last 500psi. But that was on a 28GGE (gasoline gallon equivalent)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vacancy (daytona coupe, 66 charger, cougar eliminator)
1967 F250: Restomod
1998 f150 reg cab, swb, 4x4 5.4
2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 430242
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_G View Post
well im a few days late to the party

Because impco doesnt exist anymore (or last i knew)
The Impco plant in Union City Indiana is now operating as ECO Vehicle Systems https://ecovehiclesystems.com/ and seems to be doing the same type of work doing alternative fuel and power source mods as they did as Impco.

But I no longer know anyone who works there to verify that statement.
projectdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7412
It has two tanks mounted horizontally across the back of the bus. They are 7 plus feet long and about 2’ in diameter. We were thinking that we will fill it up and valve off one to get an idea of range. But I am thinking a gasoline conversion is coming.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7412
pulling the motor and trans, sliding in a cam and springs and into the 1970 elcamino.

Last edited by gunracer1; 01-28-2019 at 11:16 AM.
gunracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectdad View Post
The Impco plant in Union City Indiana is now operating as ECO Vehicle Systems https://ecovehiclesystems.com/ and seems to be doing the same type of work doing alternative fuel and power source mods as they did as Impco.

But I no longer know anyone who works there to verify that statement.
I thought that wesport bought out impco's CNG division, or something like that.

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
pulling the motor and trans, sliding in a cam and springs and into the 1970 elcamino.
PM me if you're interested in selling the tanks. What brand and GGE are they? Quantum?

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 7412
I take some pics, and they are for sale. all the natural gas stuff will be.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 430242
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I thought that wesport bought out impco's CNG division, or something like that.
I don't know anyone personally that works there but the company, ECO vehicle systems, that I posted the website for seems to be doing the same type work that Impco was doing, and working out of the same building Impco operated out of.

It's about 8 miles from my house, and it's a small community I'll ask around to see what's up.
projectdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in