Gaming tower PC - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 04:39 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 41063
I expect it would be mouse for aim and the joystick for movement.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 9587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
I expect it would be mouse for aim and the joystick for movement.
Yes you are right. I think it would work!!
Old 05-31-2018, 04:58 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 9587
I would be AMPED if this worked
Old 06-01-2018, 02:03 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 726945
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyridgerunner View Post
The first one is almost perfect, expect I would use the main mouse for walking and the thumb switch for aiming. Then I think it would be a one-handed controller. This is pretty much my idea!! THANKS
Given the accuracy of a mouse for aiming I'd use it the other way around. I'd possibly even use the tilt function for movement and the thumb stick like a D-pad.
Also for the money I doubt you'd DIY anything anywhere near as good.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 9587
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieNZ View Post
Given the accuracy of a mouse for aiming I'd use it the other way around. I'd possibly even use the tilt function for movement and the thumb stick like a D-pad.
Also for the money I doubt you'd DIY anything anywhere near as good.
I was going market the controller, I need a Ultra 4 car and a Hellcat.
My idea was that same as this.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:35 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 726945
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyridgerunner View Post
I was going market the controller, I need a Ultra 4 car and a Hellcat.
My idea was that same as this.
don't we all
Old 11-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Bumping this thread - my boy is coming to visit over Thanksgiving. I intend to teach him to assemble a computer. He's not a big gamer. He hasn't had much access to anything other than Minecraft. But, he's interested. I may build to so that we can game together - I'll do anything to hang with him.

I would appreciate some recommendations for cheap builds. I'd be tickled to put his and mine together for $1200.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rugger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #33 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
Bumping this thread - my boy is coming to visit over Thanksgiving. I intend to teach him to assemble a computer. He's not a big gamer. He hasn't had much access to anything other than Minecraft. But, he's interested. I may build to so that we can game together - I'll do anything to hang with him.

I would appreciate some recommendations for cheap builds. I'd be tickled to put his and mine together for $1200.
https://pcpartpicker.com/

My suggestions based on budget. $1169, but you'll still need an OS, monitor, mouse, keyboard, ect.
If he's doing anything competitive spend the money on a decent gaming monitor. Something at least 75hz refresh and 4 or less ms response time. Dell sells some decent gaming monitors with g-sync, 1 ms response, and 165hz referesh for ~$300.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hqcq3t

Start there, feel free to PM or text me if you need any help. I've got some parts laying around I can send you as well. Off the top of my head I know I've got some gaming sound cards and PC fans laying around I don't need.

Graphics card is going to be the expensive part, but you can get 1070s now for ~$300 new and ~$200 used.

edit: Edited to add a parts list and other info.

Last edited by Motorcharge; 11-06-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #34 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:

Rugger

I'm a gamer (I play on a competitive World of Warship team). I just recently built a new gaming PC. I can tell you the new AMD Ryzen chips are freaking unreal, and super reasonable in price. PC Part picker is a great way to finalize your build...but I'll give you a list.

CPU - I recommend AMD 3600. It's $200ish, blazing fast
Cooler - This CPU will do fine with an air cooler. The stock that comes with it will work BUT, it's worth the $60-75 to get an aftermarket cooler.
Motherboard - Check prices. A 470x MB will work with 3000 series, or get a lower end 570x.
Hard drive - Get an M.2 drive (250gb) and use this for Windows and regular installs only. If your board has room for 2 M.2, get a 500gb for game install or get an SSD for game install. If you need "storage", toss in a 2TB or so spin drive...super cheap these days. For the game drive, intel makes some slower m.2, that are cheap, but still WAY faster than a spin drive.
Case- Since you're using air, don't get a fancy Glass front..you need a mesh front
GPU - Any thing above Nvidia 1060. AMD has new 5700 GPU's, but I still think Nvidia has the best drivers
RAM - 16GB (Get 2 8GB dimms) Check your motherboard selection, the website will list all the compatible ram. AMD Ryzen 3 like 3600 memory. Make sure you go into the bios and run the XMP profile that boosts your member to 3600 (My 570x Godlike board, defaulted to 2200)

That's it. Tons of monitors, keyboards and mice out there for reasonable pricing. Newegg and Amazon are going to have very competitive pricing to source your parts.

Install if you know what you're doing....about 1 hour-90 min....longer if you aren't. I would suspect you're going to have to kid do it...so longer, since it's a teaching moment, not a speed install.

YouTubers to watch for budget builds.....Jayz2cents, Linus Tech Tips, Gamers Nexus or Paul's Hardware...Paul probably has a few.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

Thanks to
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!

Last edited by atvobsession; 11-06-2019 at 09:09 AM.
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 253146
Alienware with graphics amplifier. Ive had mine for about 2 years and it will play anything that comes out (I havent upgraded anything since I got it). Yes you pay for it, but it works and it works well. No stalling, just runs the programs. they are pricey, but like I said it works.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #36 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODBANE View Post
Alienware with graphics amplifier. Ive had mine for about 2 years and it will play anything that comes out (I havent upgraded anything since I got it). Yes you pay for it, but it works and it works well. No stalling, just runs the programs. they are pricey, but like I said it works.
Dude...did you read his question? He wants to build a PC with his son. BTW..no "gamers" buy Alienware anymore after they sold their junk to DELL.

Thanks to

Last edited by atvobsession; 11-06-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvobsession View Post
Dude...did you read his question? He wants to build a PC with his son. BTW..no "gamers" buy Alienware anymore after they sold their junk to DELL.
:angry:
Old 11-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #38 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
Quote:
Even before Dell bought them lol

Their gaming monitors aren't bad though and pricing is in line with the competition.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 3000
Quote:

You should check out the AMD ryzen with the built in APU. They aren't as good as a dedicated GPU, but you can add one later when the budget allows.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-3400g

PC part picker helps find parts and check compatibility.
Pauls hardware on youtube has some good build guides.

Get him involved with picking out the case and some other parts.
Aron82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #40 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Even before Dell bought them lol

Their gaming monitors aren't bad though and pricing is in line with the competition.
Haha....You're right. I actually have a 36" Curved Alienware G-Sync monitor and it's the shit. Alienware hardware was better before DELL though....but yeah..you're right...real gamers, are nerds and just build their stuff.

Thanks to
Old 11-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #41 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
The integrated VEGA graphics are great for dedicated streaming boxes and stuff, but they're not going to run anything current worth a shit for actually playing on.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
https://pcpartpicker.com/

My suggestions based on budget. $1169, but you'll still need an OS, monitor, mouse, keyboard, ect.
If he's doing anything competitive spend the money on a decent gaming monitor. Something at least 75hz refresh and 4 or less ms response time. Dell sells some decent gaming monitors with g-sync, 1 ms response, and 165hz referesh for ~$300.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hqcq3t

Start there, feel free to PM or text me if you need any help. I've got some parts laying around I can send you as well. Off the top of my head I know I've got some gaming sound cards and PC fans laying around I don't need.

Graphics card is going to be the expensive part, but you can get 1070s now for ~$300 new and ~$200 used.

edit: Edited to add a parts list and other info.
Misunderstanding - None of the peripherals, computer only for $600. Another $600 for me to build one to game with him over the internet. Is it possible? I noticed the the GeForce almost blows my budget.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #43 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Misunderstanding - None of the peripherals, computer only for $600. Another $600 for me to build one to game with him over the internet. Is it possible? I noticed the the GeForce almost blows my budget.
Ok..you'll have to seriously throttle back your expectations for graphics quality.

$119 with stock cooler
https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-2...82E16819113496

$129 for MSI MB
https://www.newegg.com/msi-performan...82E16813144177

$129 AMD radeon GPU
https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx...82E16814150795

Memory (double check for compatibility $36 for 8gb (absolute min)
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-2...82E16820231886

Power supply $45
https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-s...82E16817153233

Case $89
https://www.newegg.com/black-thermal...82E16811133395

That gets you to $547..with room for tax...and possibly double the ram to 16gb (will run better).

Thanks to
Old 11-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #44 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
Quote:
That $1100 doesn't include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, ect. You can legally get Windows 10 for free pretty easily and I might have a key for it laying around if not.

Look at Craigslist for used parts, monitors, ect. You can save a lot on used parts, but it's really not practical to build even a mid grade gaming PC for $1200 anymore. The little stuff adds up.

Not a lot of stuff on Roanoke Clist unfortunately, I can look around here if you want, shipping to Roanoke shouldn't be that bad.

https://roanoke.craigslist.org/sop/d...005169260.html

If it's worth the trip, there's a Micro Center in Fairfax. They usually have better prices on components and good mobo/cpu bundles. I bought a Z-390 RoG board and 9600K last year at one for like $150 less than anywhere I could find online. If it's not and you need something from one, let me know and I can get you stuff from the one KC or St Louis shipped direct for cost plus shipping.

Last edited by Motorcharge; 11-06-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #45 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
Quote:
Ok..you'll have to seriously throttle back your expectations for graphics quality.

$119 with stock cooler

$129 for MSI MB

$129 AMD radeon GPU

Power supply $45

Case $89

That gets you to $547..with room for tax...and possibly double the ram to 16gb (will run better).
Only issues I see here is the CPU and PSU. $20 difference on the 2600 and 2600X, you're better off spending the $20 to be able to overclock, esp since mobo AI will basically do it safely for you automatically these days.

Buy a quality PSU. A bad one can fry your whole system and Thermaltake makes shitty rip off components.

Wouldn't skimp on RAM speed for the little bit of memory either, makes a much bigger difference on Ryzen than Intel.

The Fractal Design case I linked is also cheaper than that Thermaltake. I'd avoid Thermaltake anything, it's all cheap Chinese knockoffs of other companies designs. Fractal makes really nice cases for the money to the point I haven't even looked at other companies since I bought my first case from them.

Ebay isn't a bad place for used components either since mining popularity has died down. Most used mining cards are off the market by now.

But generally a 2600X and a Radeon 570 should be able to play most stuff at 1080p and 60 fps, but that's basically console graphics.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 47079
Just game on road blox and a few hundred dollar computer..... or I would just buy a couple of xbox's and call it a day.

My boy just turned 11. He loves video games but I don't find gaming a bonding experience. Not sure the age of your son... or how big of a geek you are... but I just introduced him to the world of role playing with Dungeons and Dragons. I only play on weekends. He wakes up and the first words out of his mouth are "can we play D&D now". I find D&D stimulates the imagination and creativity a little more than video games..... but I'm a fucking geek who has waiting 30 years to play D&D with my son.

We are currently running Ravenloft and I have fucked him up with both the campaign vampire Strahd and a few other monsters of my choosing.

Good times
rock-n-ron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:

$119 with stock cooler

$129 for MSI MB

$129 AMD radeon GPU

Power supply $45

Case $89

Thanks! That system builder is cool as heck!

Old 11-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock-n-ron View Post
Just game on road blox and a few hundred dollar computer..... or I would just buy a couple of xbox's and call it a day.

My boy just turned 11. He loves video games but I don't find gaming a bonding experience. Not sure the age of your son... or how big of a geek you are... but I just introduced him to the world of role playing with Dungeons and Dragons. I only play on weekends. He wakes up and the first words out of his mouth are "can we play D&D now". I find D&D stimulates the imagination and creativity a little more than video games..... but I'm a fucking geek who has waiting 30 years to play D&D with my son.

We are currently running Ravenloft and I have fucked him up with both the campaign vampire Strahd and a few other monsters of my choosing.

Good times
My boy has Asperger's and isn't social at all. He gets amped up about computers and motorcycles. I hardly talk to him at all. He has no interest in talking on the phone or video communication. But, this is something that he will get into. I want to start off small. Then I want him to start identifying the components he wants and determine if they are compatible. I'd spend it all to have conversations with him. I hope that I am making that happen.

Thanks for the help. FYI, he lives in Mississippi and I'm in Virginia. We text about once a week.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #49 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Thanks! That system builder is cool as heck!
Sure thing...I built that without PC Part picker...but that is a great website. No doubt.

I just built that to give you an idea what you get for $600.

Thanks to
Old 11-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Only issues I see here is the CPU and PSU. $20 difference on the 2600 and 2600X, you're better off spending the $20 to be able to overclock, esp since mobo AI will basically do it safely for you automatically these days.
I don't disagree with everything you said....I was just trying to hit his $600 price. A few bucks here or there. Actually..I forgot a hard drive. So he's even still over $600...so yeah..he may have to used on some stuff.

Thanks to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in