Gaming tower PC - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #51 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
My boy has Asperger's and isn't social at all. He gets amped up about computers and motorcycles. I hardly talk to him at all. He has no interest in talking on the phone or video communication. But, this is something that he will get into. I want to start off small. Then I want him to start identifying the components he wants and determine if they are compatible. I'd spend it all to have conversations with him. I hope that I am making that happen.

Thanks for the help. FYI, he lives in Mississippi and I'm in Virginia. We text about once a week.
Why not turn the shopping part into too? You'll get the shopping and building time together.

Good luck!
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #52 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
Given the situation I'll talk to a couple people, can probably get you hooked up on some sata SSDs, a monitor and some other stuff.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 3000
Quote:
My boy has Asperger's and isn't social at all. He gets amped up about computers and motorcycles. I hardly talk to him at all. He has no interest in talking on the phone or video communication. But, this is something that he will get into. I want to start off small. Then I want him to start identifying the components he wants and determine if they are compatible. I'd spend it all to have conversations with him. I hope that I am making that happen.

Thanks for the help. FYI, he lives in Mississippi and I'm in Virginia. We text about once a week.
That's a bummer. If you can get him into building and troubleshooting it can help him later in life.

Do you make it back to Colorado at all? I have some periferals I would contribute.

Some of you guys need to realize that the vast majority of people out there game at 1080P or less. You don't need the most ballin system to play Minecraft, fortnite, and pubg.
Aron82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvobsession View Post
Why not turn the shopping part into too? You'll get the shopping and building time together.

Good luck!
I'm going to figure out what I'm doing. For a kid like him you need to know your material to be able to teach it. I hear what you are saying, and it will probably be more of a leading the witness project once we are together. We will build the computer together in Virginia. When he goes home he will have to build his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Given the situation I'll talk to a couple people, can probably get you hooked up on some sata SSDs, a monitor and some other stuff.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron82 View Post
That's a bummer. If you can get him into building and troubleshooting it can help him later in life.

Do you make it back to Colorado at all? I have some periferals I would contribute.
I rarely make it back. I haven't been back in a couple of years now.

rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 3000
Quote:
I'm going to figure out what I'm doing. For a kid like him you need to know your material to be able to teach it. I hear what you are saying, and it will probably be more of a leading the witness project once we are together. We will build the computer together in Virginia. When he goes home he will have to build his own.

Thanks!

I rarely make it back. I haven't been back in a couple of years now.

They have some pretty good "portable" ITX cases that he could probably take back with him. A lot of the tech-tubers have built portable editing rigs that they can take with them to trade shows.

I will take a look at what I have and you can decide if you want it any of it.

The Front range is just getting more and more crowded. I am down there for work pretty regularly.

Amazon and Newegg are my go-to for components.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
They have some pretty good "portable" ITX cases that he could probably take back with him. A lot of the tech-tubers have built portable editing rigs that they can take with them to trade shows.

The Front range is just getting more and more crowded. I am down there for work pretty regularly.

Thanks. I'm keen on letting him build his own. If he has any issues then we have to talk to work it out - win again. I'm super excited to build these with him. Someone mentioned Windows 10. I need to figure out which OS to run. I'm hoping that it's not going to be $100 per computer.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #57 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Thanks. I'm keen on letting him build his own. If he has any issues then we have to talk to work it out - win again. I'm super excited to build these with him. Someone mentioned Windows 10. I need to figure out which OS to run. I'm hoping that it's not going to be $100 per computer.
i used my windows 7 key (one that was on the sticker on the back of a prebuilt computer and another that was a copy we bought straight up) with windows 10, didn't cost a dime and works without issue. so if you are already running windows, going to windows 10 is really simple and free

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 3000
Rugger, I have an older Logitech gaming keyboard, and mouse, a new corsair gaming mouse and a razor headset with mic.

The only thing that's been used is the keyboard, but it looks cool and has a boatload of macro keys.

PM me your number and I will shoot you some pictures.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #59 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Bryan,
Hit me up on Facebook. I have 24" monitors for you. They will cover any game you can play without a neck.
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Rugger, I have an older Logitech gaming keyboard, and mouse, a new corsair gaming mouse and a razor headset with mic.

The only thing that's been used is the keyboard, but it looks cool and has a boatload of macro keys.

PM me your number and I will shoot you some pictures.
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Bryan,
Hit me up on Facebook. I have 24" monitors for you. They will cover any game you can play without a neck.
Sweet! I'll hit you up.

I did buy a bunch of components last night and stayed under $650. I really want a test run with building so that I can teach effectively. I've never done any computer work other than swap RAM, hard drives, video cards, etc. I figure that if I can decommission nuclear weapons, design robotics (mechanical portion), and perform rocket surgery then I can pull this off.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #61 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:

I did buy a bunch of components last night and stayed under $650.
well what did you end up buying? can't keep us all in the dark now

Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
well what did you end up buying? can't keep us all in the dark now
I was thinking of keeping it to myself in case I'm foolish. I used what people recommend and also researched builds in my price range. I plan on this being my box and learning from it for Logan's build.

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz (clock to 4.0)
Phanteks Eclipse P350X box
Gigabyte B450 Aorus ATX
Ballistix Sport LT 2 x 4GB DDR4 2400
MSI Radeon RX 580 Direct X 8GB Video Card
Corsair CX-M 550W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply

Old 11-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #63 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
I was thinking of keeping it to myself in case I'm foolish. I used what people recommend and also researched builds in my price range. I plan on this being my box and learning from it for Logan's build.

Gigabyte B450 Aorus ATX
hell I'm still learning so just enjoying following along.

I have about the same RX580 8gb GPU and so far it seems to be doing just dandy. paired with a 1920x1080 144hz monitor it seems like a good fit. I don't think 4k and VR gaming are a priority so yeah it was a good spot to save some money on both a monitor and GPU.

the B450 sounds like a nice motherboard

Old 11-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #64 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
probably be more of a leading the witness project
Exactly!
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

Thanks to
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvobsession View Post
Exactly!
I'm thinking that I'll know how to assembly it and make it run up front. Then when teaching him I'll say "Ok, let's find a youtube video for how to build up a motherboard." And, keep doing that until finished. That teaches him that he can learn to do anything on youtube.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #66 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
Quote:
PM sent

Sweet! I'll hit you up.

I did buy a bunch of components last night and stayed under $650. I really want a test run with building so that I can teach effectively. I've never done any computer work other than swap RAM, hard drives, video cards, etc. I figure that if I can decommission nuclear weapons, design robotics (mechanical portion), and perform rocket surgery then I can pull this off.
Everything is plug and play. Only thing you can really mess up on thermal paste between the cpu and cooler. Make sure you pull the clear sticker off the bottom of the cooler before putting it on.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #67 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:

Gigabyte B450 Aorus ATX
We have the same case.

Didnt see hard drive. that Mother board supports m.2 they are pretty cheap now a days. If not just a SSD, its amazing how nice a ssd is over a normal platter hard drive.

I would go with more ram 8gb is the Minimum for alot of games

Thats a nice graphics card, built a computer for a friend last year that runs to of those in cross fire he used old crypto mining cards off ebay (150 each)

Im not sure how the stock AMD coolers are these days (they used to be trash got hot without overclocking) If you have issues i recomend the hyper 212 like 35 bucks and i have the hyper 212 black editon (cause it comes in black)

I noticed in the early posts talk of graphics.
Dont get me wrong the nice graphics cards are really nice i mean they look great. My GFs pc has a 980ti (used 350$) on borderlands on ultra she will see like 70-80 frames a second. While im on High seeing like 30. Unless you have something right there to compare it to i dont notice deminish in quality. Heavy grahpics loads (explosion lots of bits on the screen) and i dip to like 20 then youll notice a stutter.
But there are somethings to think about ram for instance usually doesnt effect a game a whole lot, having mininum or slightly above that is fine generally. With exception games like minecraft especially modded minecraft eat ram alot of ram. Games like that the more ram you can feed it the better it runs.

Last year i did a big upgrade.
MSI something something mobo
Intel i5-8600k
gtx 960 ssc (used)
500gb ssd
4 tb of 7200 rpm platter drive
850w evga full modular PSU
16gb ddr4 2133 mhz
and that same line of cases think i did for 535$
But i already owned the OS, and the platter drives
Attached Images

Vacancy (daytona coupe, 66 charger, cougar eliminator)
1967 F250: Restomod
1998 f150 reg cab, swb, 4x4 5.4
2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more

Last edited by A_G; 11-10-2019 at 10:45 PM.
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2019, 05:38 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_G View Post
We have the same case.

Didnt see hard drive. that Mother board supports m.2 they are pretty cheap now a days. If not just a SSD, its amazing how nice a ssd is over a normal platter hard drive.

I would go with more ram 8gb is the Minimum for alot of games

Thats a nice graphics card, built a computer for a friend last year that runs to of those in cross fire he used old crypto mining cards off ebay (150 each)
I'll probably pick up some more ram. I thought I had an SSD listed.

edit: Nope, I need to order one.

Last edited by rugger; 11-12-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 67681
picked up a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 2280 NVME SSD for $89 on Amazon

Old 11-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 3000
The m.2 drives are great for gaming. Super fast and they take up no space in the case.

Let me know when that stuff gets there.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:06 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Let me know when that stuff gets there.
Will do.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Got all the parts @Aron82! Wow!

Y'all, he sent me a box full of accessories and a sweet knife! Thanks again!

He didn't even ask for the noods of my gf.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #73 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Send a message via AIM to JParuBob Send a message via MSN to JParuBob Send a message via Yahoo to JParuBob Send a message via Skype™ to JParuBob
Quote:

I just built a rig based around an NZXT case. I like it quite a bit.

Quote:
Butt secks isn't for everyone........but it is for me!
JParuBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Got all the parts @Aron82! Wow!

Y'all, he sent me a box full of accessories and a sweet knife! Thanks again!

He didn't even ask for the noods of my gf.
Fine. I'll do it. Noods of the gf?
Old 11-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
Fine. I'll do it. Noods of the gf?
too many noobs on here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in